The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2016, 03:40 AM   #1
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Omega Speedmaster: underwhelmed

I've been eyeing an omega speedmaster as a potential addition to the collection and was able to try on the mechanical 42mm and automatic 44mm versions this past weekend. Both on black leather omega straps. They wore quite well, despite the larger mm size (I wear a GMT 16710 and sub LVc), but honestly they didn't really do much for me. I was a bit disappointed, given the speedmaster's iconic status. Not sure what exactly was missing.

Anyone else have that reaction to a speedmaster or omega?

The search continues!

Thanks.
ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:42 AM   #2
Meme-Dweller
Banned

Watch: Meme-Dweller
I had the same feeling as you and sold it, then bought it again, then sold it, then bought i again. Eventually, I fell in love with it. Forced love. Of course, the sapphire version is terrible (hesalite is the way to go), the automatic is a joke, and don't get it on anything other than a bracelet.

It takes time to "get"
Meme-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:43 AM   #3
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I've been eyeing an omega speedmaster as a potential addition to the collection and was able to try on the mechanical 42mm and automatic 44mm versions this past weekend. Both on black leather omega straps. They wore quite well, despite the larger mm size (I wear a GMT 16710 and sub LVc), but honestly they didn't really do much for me. I was a bit disappointed, given the speedmaster's iconic status. Not sure what exactly was missing.

Anyone else have that reaction to a speedmaster or omega?

The search continues!

Thanks.
I personally like the speedmaster, the newer version bracelet is underwhelming. It looks very generic like a bracelet that a lower brand would create, the vintage speedmaster bracelets were excellent, they looked similar to the day-date president bracelets, but steel. I would buy a speedmaster if it was waterproof. It's an iconic watch and great value. But it's manual wind, since in space there is no gravity to activate an automatic movement and is splash proof, but you can not swim with it.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:47 AM   #4
speedolex
Banned

I own 2 Speedmasters. Manual wind Professional models. The key to a Rolex guy warming to an Omega is its connection with NASA and the moon landings. Don't buy new. Buy an older model with plastic crystal and a hint of patina from the 1970's, then it makes sense as you're wearing a bit of history on your wrist, the actual watch worn on another planet.

I alternate between a vintage Omega 1171 bracelet and a leather strap, above. I find that with my Submariner, Explorer, and Datejust all on steel bracelets that my Speedmaster on leather is my go-to casual Friday watch.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:47 AM   #5
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I think you might find better conversation over on the TRF Omega discussion forum.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:47 AM   #6
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I love mine. Probably the best value of any watch i the world at the 2.5k price point preowned. Not even mentioning the history, beauty, and the fact that it is a manual wind chronograph. Find me another manual wind Chrono for 5x this price thats half as nice and ill be impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160622_013021904_HDR.jpg (80.7 KB, 3546 views)
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:54 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Nope.

Love my Speedmaster.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:56 AM   #8
JKolmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
But it's manual wind, since in space there is no gravity to activate an automatic movement and is splash proof, but you can not swim with it.

Oohhh, that old myth. AFAIK autos work fine in space. Just like the Rolex GMT "moon watch" http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2008/06...story.html?m=1
JKolmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:57 AM   #9
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
Owned and sold 2 until I found this one:

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 03:59 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Love the Speedy the moment I put it on. Now I have six and another three incoming. It is a true timeless design and the only watch on Rolex's side that I'm attached to like this would be the five digit GMTs .

My Speedy pro on Snoopy strap today:

sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:05 AM   #11
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
the Omega Speedmaster is an iconic design from both an aesthetic & historic standpoint...they are awesome.

that said & personally speaking, I would much rather own an older Rolex Daytona & from a 'vintage' standpoint...a 6238/Pre-Daytona.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:06 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I agree to buy a vintage model.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:07 AM   #13
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I love everything about mine except the clasp...
Old 28 June 2016, 04:13 AM   #14
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I agree that compared against all the blings on the market now, the Speedy can be somewhat lackluster in appeal. Printed dial, mediocre finish, out dated bracelet.

It is indeed underwhelming, but that's part of the charm. It's a tried and true workhorse of a watch that's meant to quietly and reliability serve its owner. Nothing flashy. In 50 years it'll still be relevant and likely won't have changed.

Here's mine - I went for the "sapphire sandwich" version which I like more, though not as OG as the hesalite version. At the price there really is no comparison.

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:19 AM   #15
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I agree that compared against all the blings on the market now, the Speedy can be somewhat lackluster in appeal. Printed dial, mediocre finish, out dated bracelet.

It is indeed underwhelming, but that's part of the charm. It's a tried and true workhorse of a watch that's meant to quietly and reliability serve its owner. Nothing flashy. In 50 years it'll still be relevant and likely won't have changed.

Here's mine - I went for the "sapphire sandwich" version which I like more, though not as OG as the hesalite version. At the price there really is no comparison.

I couldn't agree more. The dial is well... okay. The bracelet and clasp are a little outdated. BUT, I love my Speedy Moonphase. It gets just as much wrist time as any of my other watches. Maybe even more. I went with the Speedy Moonphase becasue I just NEED a date but still wanted a manual wind. It adds a splash of dress to a great sports watch. I think Every Rolex lover could use a speedy in the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-19 12.53.57.jpg (49.2 KB, 3404 views)
Old 28 June 2016, 04:24 AM   #16
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I couldn't agree more. The dial is well... okay. The bracelet and clasp are a little outdated. BUT, I love my Speedy Moonphase. It gets just as much wrist time as any of my other watches. Maybe even more. I went with the Speedy Moonphase becasue I just NEED a date but still wanted a manual wind. It adds a splash of dress to a great sports watch. I think Every Rolex lover could use a speedy in the collection.

Should also be noted that Omega does a good job with Speedmaster Professional moon watch homages and special editions.

My 1957 re-issue gets a lot of wrist time due to its cool hands, applied logo, etc.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:27 AM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I can understand, it's iconic and in the same time a bit outdated.
Great history, great watch, but with the dozen limited editions it has lost its appeal to me.
Old 28 June 2016, 04:27 AM   #18
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

What's wrong with the dial? It's perfect, the way it looks and the material used.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 04:29 AM   #19
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I like my vintage Speedmaster as much if not more than any of my vintage Rolex watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2762.JPG (249.5 KB, 3385 views)
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 08:48 AM   #20
fivedime
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58 925, OP39, DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
But it's manual wind, since in space there is no gravity to activate an automatic movement and is splash proof, but you can not swim with it.
The first statement has been disproven time and again. Gravity is not needed to wind an automatic, just motion and momentum.

The second statement...I would swim all day with a 50m wr watch. Astronauts spend plenty of time in and under water, and that's one of the tasks their watches must handle.
fivedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 08:55 AM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
If only this was a hesalite it would be probably the perfect watch. I like vintage Speedy's as well but the deal on this one was too good to pass up. And since I am not a Daytona fan this holds down the chrono space in my watch box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 08:59 AM   #22
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Love my Speedy and would add a second one if I could find the right spec.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 09:24 AM   #23
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
Few years back I visited my AD and was tempted to buy a new Omega Speedmaster. I did not know it was manual wind and was turned off (because i'm lazy to wind it) and I didn't buy. On back of my mind I wanted to get it and did more research. Fast forward I am now prepared to have a manual watch and I went to a trusted seller and found a used 1863 movement. I bracelet can be boring. I am buying a nato strap to add excitement for this watch. I believe this watch is a keeper since its iconic and a classic.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 10:57 AM   #24
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

The best part of the watches I looked at was the view of the movement (had the sapphire caseback). I know it's not the true moonwatch, but damn the movement was a thing a beauty. I like the idea of looking for a nice vintage piece. I could see the appeal of that. As others have said, I think the value is unquestionable, at under $3k a real collector almost needs to have one. I'll keep working on it. I like the NATO or stap idea as well.

Thanks for all the input TRF!

-Dan
ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 12:13 PM   #25
Nyquist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
The best part of the watches I looked at was the view of the movement (had the sapphire caseback). I know it's not the true moonwatch, but damn the movement was a thing a beauty. I like the idea of looking for a nice vintage piece. I could see the appeal of that. As others have said, I think the value is unquestionable, at under $3k a real collector almost needs to have one. I'll keep working on it. I like the NATO or stap idea as well.

Thanks for all the input TRF!

-Dan

What exactly is the story behind the sapphire caseback? Is it a particular model that has it or an aftermarket alteration? Why does that make it NOT a moonwatch. Sorry if you find these questions silly or uninformed. I like the idea of a display movement as I find it quite beautiful.
Tudor Prince Date + Day
Omega Speedmaster
Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 02:26 PM   #26
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
What exactly is the story behind the sapphire caseback? Is it a particular model that has it or an aftermarket alteration? Why does that make it NOT a moonwatch. Sorry if you find these questions silly or uninformed. I like the idea of a display movement as I find it quite beautiful.
There is plenty of information to read about the different iterations/special editions of Speedmasters. Basically the original Speedmaster Professional watch that went to the moon/certified by NASA gathered its fame under strict specifications. It had a hesalite crystal (no sapphire front or back) in front and a non see through caseback. Main reason was because the crystal is not susceptible to shattering (consideration for their mission). There are now many Speedmaster variations with sapphire crystals in the front and see through backing to see the movement with a sapphire backing that technically is NOT the "Moonwatch" specification. The closest thing would be the 3572.50 which would have the hesalite front crystal with a clear sapphire crystal caseback to see the movement.....everything except caseback being the official Moonwatch. I'm glazing over a lot of details but that focuses specifically on the use of sapphire in your question....too much material to read for a lifetime regarding Speedmasters and variations.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 02:54 PM   #27
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The sapphire sandwich was also my choice.

Nice watch to wear but considering that it is a manual movement I do find the crown a little on the small side for winding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06050r.JPG (285.6 KB, 3268 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 05:10 PM   #28
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Underwhelmed? No. It's a no-bullshit legendary workhorse.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2016, 03:09 AM   #29
Nyquist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
There is plenty of information to read about the different iterations/special editions of Speedmasters. Basically the original Speedmaster Professional watch that went to the moon/certified by NASA gathered its fame under strict specifications. It had a hesalite crystal (no sapphire front or back) in front and a non see through caseback. Main reason was because the crystal is not susceptible to shattering (consideration for their mission). There are now many Speedmaster variations with sapphire crystals in the front and see through backing to see the movement with a sapphire backing that technically is NOT the "Moonwatch" specification. The closest thing would be the 3572.50 which would have the hesalite front crystal with a clear sapphire crystal caseback to see the movement.....everything except caseback being the official Moonwatch. I'm glazing over a lot of details but that focuses specifically on the use of sapphire in your question....too much material to read for a lifetime regarding Speedmasters and variations.
Thanks for the explanation. :)
Tudor Prince Date + Day
Omega Speedmaster
Old 29 June 2016, 03:10 AM   #30
Nyquist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The sapphire sandwich was also my choice.

Nice watch to wear but considering that it is a manual movement I do find the crown a little on the small side for winding.
I've read that it's a bit of a pain to wind ... Though personally I would be happy to put up with that.
Tudor Prince Date + Day
Omega Speedmaster