The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2021, 08:19 AM   #2281
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
As long as we’re traipsing down memory lane…

The award for the most tactical incident in a qualifying session goes to…
Sooooo remember it live. C'mon, we all knew he....... but with MS he ALWAYS sticks with the lie. ALWAYS.

And that grin/smile.

Didn't Ferrari use refrigerant gas in their tires?

OT: I miss F1 old-school Kimi who wommmdd mumbbbbbl so yuuuucould ntquite unnnstnd....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:26 AM   #2282
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Sooooo remember it live. C'mon, we all knew he....... but with MS he ALWAYS sticks with the lie. ALWAYS.

And that grin/smile.

I was still a driver then.

I put that in my mental file. So if I was on pole already with just a few minutes left in session…

Perhaps just pull off 100 meters past last turn before a straight (between corner stations) with 2 wheels touching track. Single waving yellow flag for 2 laps in amateur racing.

Neutralize competitor’s ability to chart a better time.

Nah…I’d never do that

On Ferrari - before tire pressures were regulated by manufacturers - a nitrogen rich mix would have been an advantage. But I don’t know of them getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:53 AM   #2283
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
It's better to be lucky in life than good. Apparently the Netflix "Drive to Survive" film crew pick 1 team to be with during each race weekend.... and they picked to be with McLaren during Monza where McLaren went 1-2 for the first time in 9 years. The footage they will show in the off season should be awesome!!
Very excited to see that!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 10:21 AM   #2284
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
It's been 3 days since the bio came out so I'll reveal a tid bit that really surprised me....

Ferrari and Todt were unsure Michael was the guy to bring them the championship after coming close in the late 90's. Given what happened in the 2000's it's hard to imagine them replacing MS, but at the time, pressure was so high that they had doubts he was the one. It's amazing how driver's "just drive" when there's no pressure on them.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:39 PM   #2285
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Excellent documentary to bring me down memory lane. Being a tifosi fan first, I do recall the Ferrari team not so sure after 4 seasons and no championship, close a couple of times but never sealed it....then the rest is history. Loved seeing all the past drivers in this documentary....and the sounds. The sound of those cars.....gave me goosebumps on TV, but if you ever experienced those cars live you are one of the fortunate ones. Just incredible sounds.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 12:00 AM   #2286
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Excellent documentary to bring me down memory lane. Being a tifosi fan first, I do recall the Ferrari team not so sure after 4 seasons and no championship, close a couple of times but never sealed it....then the rest is history. Loved seeing all the past drivers in this documentary....and the sounds. The sound of those cars.....gave me goosebumps on TV, but if you ever experienced those cars live you are one of the fortunate ones. Just incredible sounds.
Totally agree with this!
Old 19 September 2021, 01:27 AM   #2287
77T

Quote:
It's been 3 days since the bio came out so I'll reveal a tid bit that really surprised me....

Ferrari and Todt were unsure Michael was the guy to bring them the championship after coming close in the late 90's. Given what happened in the 2000's it's hard to imagine them replacing MS, but at the time, pressure was so high that they had doubts he was the one. It's amazing how driver's "just drive" when there's no pressure on them.

Something we don’t see as much today…the patience to build a team with the drivers vs. dropping one after a year or two.

Also, Ferrari had bad platforms a couple of those early MSC years, so they had little shot at Constructors’ or WDC.

Old 19 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #2288
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Really enjoyed the documentary. Very well done. Sad what happened after his accident. Poor guy.

If y'all haven't seen the documentary A Life of Speed on Netflix its pretty good. About Juan Manual racing F1 in the 50s. Some cool history.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:04 AM   #2289
77T

You mean Fangio I think?

Old 19 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #2290
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You mean Fangio I think?

Oops! Yes

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 08:20 AM   #2291
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Glad nobody was injured in the Hamilton/Verstappen shunt.

I was fortunate enough to live in Belgium for about six years. I lived only a few hours from both Spa and the Nurburgring. I attended the Ferrari days at both venues, but never went to any of the F1 races. I was able to see Michael Schumacher drive at the Nurburgring Ferrari days in 2008. He went out and drove the "then" new California, his FXX, and then his F1 car. It was fun to watch him doing donuts directly in front of us in the F1 car!! What a blast!

I also have some private personal footage of him from an event at Fiorano for new owners of a certain car. The owner allowed me to have a copy of his in-car footage of Michael going for a "hot lap." It's incredible to go back and rewatch and see just how skilled he was and how easy he made it look.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 03:39 PM   #2292
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandigangi View Post

If y'all haven't seen the documentary A Life of Speed on Netflix its pretty good. About Juan Manual racing F1 in the 50s. Some cool history.
Yes...that was a good doc on Fangio

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 10:27 PM   #2293
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
I also have some private personal footage of him from an event at Fiorano for new owners of a certain car. The owner allowed me to have a copy of his in-car footage of Michael going for a "hot lap." It's incredible to go back and rewatch and see just how skilled he was and how easy he made it look.
Is that the Enzo video where MS is having fun drifting and speeding around on Ferrari private track?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 September 2021, 10:56 AM   #2294
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandigangi View Post
Really enjoyed the documentary. Very well done. Sad what happened after his accident. Poor guy.

Highly recommend the documentary you mentioned on Fangio. Well before my time, but a hell of a driver.
Old 22 September 2021, 06:35 AM   #2295
The Joker
"TRF" Member

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:51 AM   #2296
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That was true years ago. Things have greatly changed.

Old 22 September 2021, 08:19 AM   #2297
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Its a vintage Mazda commercial...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 10:05 PM   #2298
77T

Who’s ready for Sochi? Even the circuit resembles a big question mark…

Old 22 September 2021, 10:44 PM   #2299
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting circuit for sure.

BTW i was thinking for 2023 F1 should eliminate rain tyres. Since there will no longer be true racing in the rain, they should allocate the set of rain tyres within the regulations to another set of intermediates (or slicks) for the 2023 season.

Old 23 September 2021, 12:03 AM   #2300
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Schumacher Post

Not bad overall. Not great overall. A very efficient German love story and documentary about a sporting hero.

Great archival images. Screened comments but nothing as raw, free or direct as he was. This is a family and legacy thing. And it’s a shame because great documentaries go deeper and broader with few rules.

If anytiing was learned, his wife is a saint.

Still glad to have seen it but I think it’s too safe where he wasn’t always.

Hope he’s doing better and is finding peace.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 01:05 AM   #2301
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I am about 1 hour into the documentary on Michael Schumacher. I lived in Germany for a year in 1993 and 1994, so it was fun to see how the whole country rallied around him and Lothar Mathias. Everywhere you went there were Mathias jerseys for the German national team (having just won the World Cup the year before).

My good college friend lived in Geneva and he said a few times when he went to Verbier, they had the road up to the ski resort blocked off because Michael liked to drive that road for practice whenever he was there. The road is crazy with switchbacks and hair pin turns.

Michael's brother, Ralf, just spoke out yesterday about the documentary and he said it was done nicely.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1923947.html
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 01:09 AM   #2302
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

It's often difficult to go in depth in a 2 hour documentary covering so many years. The 10 part documentary "The Last Dance" with Michael Jordan and the Bulls seemed to be too short.

There were things that were left out such as Senna's steering column being broken at Imola or mentioning that Michael's leg was broken following the 1999 crash at Silverstone but we don't know what was left on the cutting room floor either.

This couldn't have been easy for the family and am actually surprised they signed off on it as Michael always wanted his family life to be super private. Just seeing Mick and reading between the lines between what he said and what Corinna said, I no longer have much hope that Michael will ever recover. It's just sad that a man who made his living going 200 MPH could have a life changing accident falling in snow at 2 MPH.
Old 23 September 2021, 01:57 AM   #2303
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
It's often difficult to go in depth in a 2 hour documentary covering so many years. The 10 part documentary "The Last Dance" with Michael Jordan and the Bulls seemed to be too short.

There were things that were left out such as Senna's steering column being broken at Imola or mentioning that Michael's leg was broken following the 1999 crash at Silverstone but we don't know what was left on the cutting room floor either.

This couldn't have been easy for the family and am actually surprised they signed off on it as Michael always wanted his family life to be super private. Just seeing Mick and reading between the lines between what he said and what Corinna said, I no longer have much hope that Michael will ever recover. It's just sad that a man who made his living going 200 MPH could have a life changing accident falling in snow at 2 MPH.
Agreed. Very sad. I have skied several times in the French and Swiss Alps in that area. It's truly buyer beware and ski at your own risk over there and you can hire guides to take you anywhere you want to go. Nothing at all like what we are accustomed to here in North America, that's for damned sure. When they say he went off piste, he really went off piste. Those rocks are sharp and jagged, and just falling over, head on into the point of a rock would kill any of us. There are multi-story high to thousand foot drops in areas, crevasses, and stuff you would never, ever see here and those trails going between pistes many times aren't roped off or marked very well. In some areas if you wiped out and fell off the side you would be a goner. You can literally look down off the side of a crazy drop as you are skiing past on your way to another designated area. Insane. It's incredible and the scenery is just spectacular. The Europeans just shrug it off and say "be careful." They say around 65 people die every year just in Chamonix alone doing everything from skiing to hiking, paragliding, base jumping, rock climbing, etc.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:50 AM   #2304
77T

I think many aren’t aware of the actual site of MSC’s incident…while technically “off piste” it was an open and fairly common area for skiers.

There were groomed slopes on either side of the area. He caught an edge on a rock that was hidden by overnight snowfall. This was a case of falling (not at high speed) in a very unfortunate way. His helmet split due to a fixed attachment (GoPro camera) catching the first of 3 rocks he impacted on a 30’ catapulting frontal fall head-first.

I’ll just show the area after rescue efforts were complete - the web has others…

Old 23 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #2305
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

From memory of the time I do remember something about the GOPro camera that was mounted on his helmet having something to do with the severity of how and where he fell. Very sad all around.
Old 23 September 2021, 01:45 PM   #2306
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like Sochi could be wet this weekend. Feel another debacle inbound.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 02:12 PM   #2307
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by asloper6001 View Post
RB might not want Bottas lining up behind them. He might misjudge his braking again.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:31 PM   #2308
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

A Halo indeed.

Lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3217589-65907048-2560-1440.jpg (181.8 KB, 45 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 10:20 PM   #2309
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
RB might not want Bottas lining up behind them. He might misjudge his braking again.

VET won’t be upfront due to 3-spot penalty (or will be at the rear if he takes a new PU).

Old 23 September 2021, 10:27 PM   #2310
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by asloper6001 View Post

Saturday’s Qually could definitely be a problem. Sunday forecast is clear and sunny. But too soon to know with any precision.

Street circuits definitely pose problems for heavy rain - in fact, forecast is flash flooding Saturday with 2+” of rain.

As long as there isn’t zero grip on full rains, nor lightning, the show ought to go on.