The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 September 2021, 07:54 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Panerai resources?

Anyone have a good source where I can easily learn what I need to know about the panerai brand? I really like some of their designs and hate some of them as well but I want to know more about the history of the brand and it’s “iconic” pieces as opposed to stuff that’s just new. A lot of their watches look the same so it’s not as easy to learn about them from browsing the website as say a Rolex.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 08:06 AM   #2
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Panerai resources?

This is going to be an interesting thread.

First off Panerai has no real history. It is a made up history by Richemont. None of its pieces are iconic. I don’t care what a “Paneristi” likes to think about the brand but it is absolute dog material.

I do like the design but cannot fathom their lies and ridiculous customer service. If anyone cares to know, I can share more about that.

There is a very knowledgeable gentleman named, Jose. He goes by “perezcope” on Instagram. He has some solid reading material on Panerai.

Link: https://perezcope.com/2021/08/22/rev...-pam-of-worms/
Old 4 September 2021, 08:23 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Well when I said history, I guess more of a timeline regarding when certain designs came out and things like that. Obviously their brand can’t tell the same story as Rolex or Cartier or even omega, and others. I know panerai is divide. Heck, I hated it for years and couldn’t fathom why someone would buy one. My views on a handful of pieces are starting to change and I don’t want to be that person who buys something without knowing anything about what I just spent hard earned money on. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be those people that order Rolex online and think they’re broken because they’re not running when they open the box lol
Old 4 September 2021, 08:29 AM   #4
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Panerai resources?

Source: https://perezcope.com/timelines/

Again, highly recommend reading about Panerai on perezcope.com.
Old 4 September 2021, 08:48 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post

Source: https://perezcope.com/timelines/

Again, highly recommend reading about Panerai on perezcope.com.
Thanks for the useful info! This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m gonna take a look.
Old 4 September 2021, 11:49 AM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
There is a Panerai forum on this site
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 06:20 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

First off Panerai has no real history. It is a made up history by Richemont. None of its pieces are iconic. I don’t care what a “Paneristi” likes to think about the brand but it is absolute dog sh*t.

I do like the design but cannot fathom their lies and ridiculous customer service. If anyone cares to know, I can share more about that.

There is a very knowledgeable gentleman named, Jose. He goes by “perezcope” on Instagram. He has some solid reading material on Panerai.

A little tough, but clearly you’ve had a bad experience.
There is history, but like many brands it’s mixed up in a pr story too. There’s movement scandals, again nothing new but underneath this all are some cool watches. I’m on my third; an old 112, a well documented and easy to service decorated eta model with no controversy at all.
Old 4 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Panerai clearly has a history, the fact that it has been embellished by Richemont does not diminish this. And clearly there are those with a vendetta against the brand lead by a blogger with an agenda who wants to be a journalist when he grows up. Panerai makes interesting and unusual watches but in an attempt to remain relevant they suffer from a lot of repetition in their line up. There is no handy single source of overview information for Panerai that I have found although information is out there if you dig for it and allow yourself to go down the occasional rabbit hole. Be careful though that you don’t follow a blogger into a septic system.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 11:59 PM   #9
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Panerai clearly has a history, the fact that it has been embellished by Richemont does not diminish this. And clearly there are those with a vendetta against the brand lead by a blogger with an agenda who wants to be a journalist when he grows up. Panerai makes interesting and unusual watches but in an attempt to remain relevant they suffer from a lot of repetition in their line up. There is no handy single source of overview information for Panerai that I have found although information is out there if you dig for it and allow yourself to go down the occasional rabbit hole. Be careful though that you don’t follow a blogger into a septic system.

Well… we are here to have a constructive discussion and we all watch enthusiasts/lovers.

Every brand has some kind of history.. good or bad. What I am unable to grasp is that while Jose as a blogger is presenting some evidence in his crusade against Panerai and some auction houses, most folks in return attack him or try to downplay him but fail to provide any counter evidence which refutes the documentation provided by him.

I have personally always loved Panerai designs(did not care nor was aware of their past) but after Panerai service center screwed up my Panerai over a period of 7 months, I gave up on them.
Old 5 September 2021, 12:15 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed, Panerai has a history and a style. Richemont is making their own newfound history with their Panerai brand with each passing year.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 12:16 AM   #11
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
A little tough, but clearly you’ve had a bad experience.
There is history, but like many brands it’s mixed up in a pr story too. There’s movement scandals, again nothing new but underneath this all are some cool watches. I’m on my third; an old 112, a well documented and easy to service decorated eta model with no controversy at all.

Ha ha ha. You are true gentleman. I’m sorry if I came across rude. That was not clearly not the intent.

You are correct that Panerai‘s lineage is mixed up in scandals and a botched up PR saga. On top of it, Richemont or Panerai have done absolutely NOTHING to clarify or clear it. Instead they have doubled down on their mistakes by trying to sell ETA movements as “in-house” which when caught they tried to deny it and continue it to ignore it on their website.. banking on unsuspecting new customers.

Yes Panerai’s ETA movements are easier to service but have you tried to get one serviced by a local watch maker recently? I had tried to get 2 local but reputed watch makers to service my ETA based Panerai and they both flat out refused to do it.
Old 5 September 2021, 12:31 AM   #12
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t care what a “Paneristi” likes to think about the brand but it is absolute dog sh*t.

Being rude was clearly not your intent? Where is the “clearly” in this sentence?
Old 5 September 2021, 12:51 AM   #13
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Being rude was clearly not your intent? Where is the “clearly” in this sentence?

Sometimes stating facts on a platform with no way to communicate the emotion associated with verbiage causes people to read the verbiage the way they want to. You can say the same thing statement with a stern face or a smiling face, effects will be completely different on the audience.

That said, I did review your collection and your past posts and it is amply clear that you are a Panerai fan and NOT a fan of Jose which it is completely fine. I am a Rolex fanboy and nothing in this world can change my opinion about Rolex.

However, rather than saying that the blogger is petty and not credible or trying to pick on my grammar, I would really appreciate if you share something which is credible enough to refute the factual claims.
Old 5 September 2021, 01:24 AM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sometimes stating facts on a platform with no way to communicate the emotion associated with verbiage causes people to read the verbiage the way they want to. You can say the same thing statement with a stern face or a smiling face, effects will be completely different on the audience.

That said, I did review your collection and your past posts and it is amply clear that you are a Panerai fan and NOT a fan of Jose which it is completely fine. I am a Rolex fanboy and nothing in this world can change my opinion about Rolex.

However, rather than saying that the blogger is petty and not credible or trying to pick on my grammar, I would really appreciate if you share something which is credible enough to refute the factual claims.
Nice pivot. Your grammar was never in question, I called you out on your words which you have attempted to spin with a lecture diminishing the reader by blaming your clear definitive statement on their interpretation.

Up until my approximately 670th post on TRF my posts were all on the Rolex side. I too am a Rolex fanboy, my interest in Panerai has been relatively recent, maybe since early summer although like all with an interest in watches I have observed them for many years and dipped into this forum from time to time.

The difference between a journalist and a blogger is that the journalist at least has a stated goal of objectivity whether they achieve it or not. A blogger has no accountability to any entity larger than themselves, even the truth, and can say whatever they want. While I don't doubt there is some credibility in Jose's "reporting" it is the relentless agenda driven hand-wringing panty-knotted snark that makes him so easy to dismiss. I am not a fan of all things Panerai and I understand that they are merely a pawn on Richemont's chess board. My personal interest lies in Panerai's back catalog and the only complication that interests me is a small seconds hand. I've owned more Rolexes for a vastly longer period of time and posted more on TRF about them than I have Panerai so your attempts to paint me as a Panerai loyalist and apologist are not based in fact. I'm sure Jose is a nice guy, kind to puppy dogs, children and little old ladies but his delivery comes across as both strident and breathless as does that of a number of his acolytes.

Carry on.
Old 5 September 2021, 05:31 AM   #15
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Panerai has taken lots of flack for their dishonest behaviour, which I get. However, rolex reps continue to push the false narrative that each rolex takes 1 year to make, that their attention to detail sets them apart from other brands and you will not find any defects (i'm 2-2 on defects as per my threads over the years, and lower priced competitors seem to have a higher level of finishing), and their movements smash the competition (not true).

There is a general arrogance that you get from rolex ADs that just isn't there with many other brands. I don't have issues with people hating on panerai for their mistakes, but I think it's time the rolex fanboys start calling rolex out on their BS as well. Or, if they are not willing to do that, at the very least, maybe provide the same level of deference to other brands that they apply towards rolex and their nonsense.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 10:04 AM   #16
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Panerai resources?

Most watch companies are guilty of pushing false narratives. This obviously includes Rolex on a couple of big ones that leave Panerai in the minor leagues. However, just because others do it or have a history, that doesn't mean we should excuse it, or not call it what it is. They're shipyards to be a substantial amount of evidence that clouds Panerai ATM. Simply sagging the author doesn't cut it with me. I'd prefer to see those criticisms answered. So far they have not been, leading me to believe that there is more truth than fiction to these claims.

For contexts sake, I have called out Rolex in the past and still own two and will possibly have others in the future. I don't own a Panerai but am seriously looking at a PAM00904.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 11:07 AM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

First off Panerai has no real history. It is a made up history by Richemont. None of its pieces are iconic. I don’t care what a “Paneristi” likes to think about the brand but it is absolute dog sh*t.

]
Clean your thread up or your time on TRF will be brief.
Old 5 September 2021, 11:10 AM   #18
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Clean your thread up or your time on TRF will be brief.

Is that a threat or friendly advice?
Old 5 September 2021, 11:11 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Is that a threat or friendly advice?
Very experienced advise on what it will take to get bounced from TRF.

FYI: Rikki at Time Care inc will service your eta Panerai. He is a very experienced and respected watchmaker used by many on TRF.

http://www.timecareinc.com/
Old 5 September 2021, 12:47 PM   #20
ks58
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. This guy is very informative.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:40 PM   #21
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Panerai resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Very experienced advise on what it will take to get bounced from TRF.

FYI: Rikki at Time Care inc will service your eta Panerai. He is a very experienced and respected watchmaker used by many on TRF.

http://www.timecareinc.com/

Thanks for the “advise”. I’ll keep Time Care Inc in mind for referring others needing it. I am done wasting money on Panerai.

For now… Rolex. VC. AP all the way.