The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2021, 07:30 PM   #1
klee3174
"TRF" Member

Icon15 Has anyone been able to place orders for gold JUMBO models?

Hi has anyone have been able to place an order confirmation or has heard from an AD that they will get you a gold jumbo AP model this year?? I wont ask which AD just curious if its still in production or not, preferably the white gold and rose gold jumbo models or even the yellow gold. I hope itll still be in production for the rose gold model 15202or because its my dream watch 😭

Would appreciate answers!!
klee3174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 07:36 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’ve ordered the white gold one but the SA did recently say that he wasn’t sure if it’s still being made, bottom line the boutiques don’t know and they see so few of them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 11:34 PM   #3
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Find another dream watch.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:16 AM   #4
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Based on a visit to AP House yesterday it’s clear that pretty much everything current (or new) in the core range is getting harder and harder to get irrespective if you’re a VIP or a no one (like me)
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:35 AM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee3174 View Post
Hi has anyone have been able to place an order confirmation or has heard from an AD that they will get you a gold jumbo AP model this year?? I wont ask which AD just curious if its still in production or not, preferably the white gold and rose gold jumbo models or even the yellow gold. I hope itll still be in production for the rose gold model 15202or because its my dream watch ��

Would appreciate answers!!
If you are high enough in the pecking order to "place an order" for a 15202OR, YOU should be the one supplying us with inside info.

For reference, when I asked for a 15450 blue (your dream watch from July), I got the watch 5 months later. When I mentioned how great the 15202OR is, I got a smile.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 05:08 AM   #6
7sins
"TRF" Member

It was my understanding that they were making only 75 of the 15202BC for the world this year, it will be very very difficult to get a remaining allocation.

Do you have extensive purchase history with AP? If not, there is no to little chance at getting a JUMBO allocation in any metal unfortunately.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 07:47 AM   #7
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I have the 15202BC on order and was recently told will get it still this year. But as always with very hot watches: i will believe it once it is on my wrist…
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:26 PM   #8
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
It was my understanding that they were making only 75 of the 15202BC for the world this year, it will be very very difficult to get a remaining allocation.

Do you have extensive purchase history with AP? If not, there is no to little chance at getting a JUMBO allocation in any metal unfortunately.
The 15202BC is actually 75/year consistently, every year, since launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
I have the 15202BC on order and was recently told will get it still this year. But as always with very hot watches: i will believe it once it is on my wrist…
Likewise. Minus the "this year" part. Likely next year if I'm lucky.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 01:27 PM   #9
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Find another dream watch.
Old 15 September 2021, 01:35 PM   #10
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
In all seriousness the tone of many of the AP forum regulars has turned extraordinarily negative. And I’m absolutely including myself.

I genuinely love the brand, but that’s changing very rapidly and I’m very close to writing them off. It doesn’t seem like I’m the only one that feels this way. This year has been a joke to see so many beautiful watches released and absolutely nothing being available. While Rolex is in a similar boat, it’s not totally hopeless like it feels now with AP.

Has anyone with a very solid relationship had a frank discussion with AP? What’s going on and why are there absolutely no watches available? Is this what to expect going forward? I’d really like to hear from those that have the types of relationship to get real answers.
Old 15 September 2021, 01:51 PM   #11
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
In all seriousness the tone of many of the AP forum regulars has turned extraordinarily negative. And I’m absolutely including myself.

I genuinely love the brand, but that’s changing very rapidly and I’m very close to writing them off. It doesn’t seem like I’m the only one that feels this way. This year has been a joke to see so many beautiful watches released and absolutely nothing being available. While Rolex is in a similar boat, it’s not totally hopeless like it feels now with AP.

Has anyone with a very solid relationship had a frank discussion with AP? What’s going on and why are there absolutely no watches available? Is this what to expect going forward? I’d really like to hear from those that have the types of relationship to get real answers.
I 100% resonate with this.

Rolex definitely doesn't feel as hopeless as it feels now with AP -- I agree. And judging by the deliveries I've had this year, that's an accurate assessment.
Old 15 September 2021, 11:10 PM   #12
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I wonder how many would want these watches if they weren't trading at huge premiums?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 11:38 PM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
I wonder how many would want these watches if they weren't trading at huge premiums?
I’d say 10% or less would still want any of these watches if they lost value
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:45 AM   #14
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
I’d say 10% or less would still want any of these watches if they lost value

I understand this is very easy to throw out there, but the reality is for most people that desire an AP, they aren’t in watches to “make money”.

There is a massive difference between wanting something to flip/make money from, and wanting because you can’t have it.

I am a consumer and would be kidding myself if I failed to recognize that scarcity and inability to acquire doesn’t feed the frenzy or desire. That’s human nature. However, I think you need to be careful to say “who would still want one if they weren’t trading at a premium”. Certainly, if you go outside of a forum like this there would be several that fall into that category of wanting it only because of the value. But for people on here, most of which have an affinity towards the most popular brands, I don’t think a premium is a deciding factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2021, 02:30 AM   #15
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post

Two years, the they were below list except the BC.

Supply hasn’t changed, demand has taken off.

AP boutiques are empty, no one likes it but there’s not much they can do on the supply side. Can’t just ramp up production since there are finite watchmakers and no one really wants to go into the industry anymore

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:41 AM   #16
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:

Because Rolex doesn't release 50 new models every year like AP and produce 20 times more watches as well. Really don't understand the business strategy from AP to release so many new references at the same time when they only make 45000 watches a year and have a rabid fanbase to satisfy. It's like they are trying to take a page from Richard Mille except that AP has a lower barrier of entry and there are a lot more enthusiasts for the brand than RM, whose design doesn't appeal to everyone. At first I didn't understand how AP gold pieces were selling so much above retail but when the manufacturer artificially makes a shortage by spreading its manufacturing output across so many references, it's not really that surprising anymore...
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:52 AM   #17
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Two years, the they were below list except the BC.

Supply hasn’t changed, demand has taken off.
That's because every other social media post I see is about how watches are a great investment instead of the stock market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
AP boutiques are empty, no one likes it but there’s not much they can do on the supply side. Can’t just ramp up production since there are finite watchmakers and no one really wants to go into the industry anymore
This is true. But it's also true that they aren't rebalancing their resources to redirect towards the bigger money makers for them because of the scarcity problem they want to maintain (in my opinion they're maintaining it at too extreme a level now).
Old 16 September 2021, 09:44 AM   #18
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t know what the answer is. All I can say is how I feel as a consumer. And as a consumer and an established customer, I am tired of the same answer. It’s either “not possible” or “you’ll have to wait and there is zero guarantee”, and that is for anything in the line up. Furthermore, there is absolutely no equity in their distribution. If you aren’t dealing with NYC, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc…you have absolutely no chance to get anything beyond the absolute basic models.

Certainly I can expect that type of answer for the unique pieces such as ceramics or skeletons. I understand and accept their approach to these pieces. However, the situation now with unobtainable PCs, ROs, and even many ROOs is just unacceptable without an explanation. And to add fuel to the fire, it’s almost monthly where some cool new watch is released that is purely unobtanium.

Sorry, but I’m about to tune out. I doubt AP cares because right now they could make a watch with a poo emoji in a royal oak case and it’ll sell.

I just think it’s a horrible strategy and I see no evidence they are even acknowledging the situation or any real idea what much of their customer base or potential customer base thinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2021, 12:57 PM   #19
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Because Rolex doesn't release 50 new models every year like AP and produce 20 times more watches as well. Really don't understand the business strategy from AP to release so many new references at the same time when they only make 45000 watches a year and have a rabid fanbase to satisfy.
I distinctly remember the collective unhappiness among the US TRF contingent regarding the lack of US specific editions. Now they're here and, well, can't make everyone happy (of course, few have it worse than the Canadians).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 01:04 PM   #20
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I distinctly remember the collective unhappiness among the US TRF contingent regarding the lack of US specific editions. Now they're here and, well, can't make everyone happy (of course, few have it worse than the Canadians).
There are no US specific Jumbos yet.

No one's complaining about that. Just about the general availability of AP timepieces.

There's nothing out there. And no one's interested in new customer acquisition, really.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:06 PM   #21
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Because Rolex doesn't release 50 new models every year like AP and produce 20 times more watches as well. Really don't understand the business strategy from AP to release so many new references at the same time when they only make 45000 watches a year and have a rabid fanbase to satisfy.
Rolex's average price per reference is 10-15% that of AP, so the fact that AP makes significantly less doesn't apply as much as one would think.

The higher price range of AP excludes a lot of potential customers (compared to Rolex). That's why Rolex needs to make so much more.

I understand the comparison you're trying to make, but that said, it doesn't apply entirely.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:27 PM   #22
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

Saw a youtube video about a Miami grey dealer and in that video, they are absolutely loaded with APs in their shop, no shortage there. And in that video, the dealer freely admitted that these are continuously flip to them by VVIP customers of AP boutiques, who buys everything up and flip them to grey dealers, stickers intact etc.

I can't believe AP is not aware of this but they prefer to close one eye and continue to supply these VVIP customers. I supposed this helps to build up the scarcity and desirability image, they have less customers to manage and they can sell out everything. Meantime, regular customers will get long wait times, get scraps or nothing because they don't have the buying record to meet the criteria.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:29 PM   #23
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Saw a youtube video about a Miami grey dealer and in that video, they are absolutely loaded with APs in their shop, no shortage there. And in that video, the dealer freely admitted that these are continuously flip to them by VVIP customers of AP boutiques, who buys everything up and flip them to grey dealers, stickers intact etc.

I can't believe AP is not aware of this but they prefer to close one eye and continue to supply these VVIP customers. I supposed this helps to build up the scarcity and desirability image, they have less customers to manage and they can sell out everything. Meantime, regular customers will get long wait times, get scraps or nothing because they don't have the buying record to meet the criteria.
Indeed. You are right!

There's no doubt AP is aware. Just like PP and Rolex. I'm sure they love it.

That's why I'm complaining about the fact that the big players in the watch industry aren't really doing good for the actual collectors.

I also keep saying that there's no shortage of watches. You just have to be a Grey Market dealer to get what you want.

I realize I'm being facetious, but it's still rooted in reality.
Old 16 September 2021, 05:15 PM   #24
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

This is interesting because the managers at the boutique I talk to are very much against resellers and strongly discourage me from selling any of my APs, even ones I didn't buy from the boutique.

Perhaps AP really turns a blind eye to it, but I'm not willing to find out. I'm no VVIP, but I find it hard to believe a true VVIP would risk their relationship with the boutique to flip a couple of watches, unless they have no intention of getting any watches from AP in the future. My guess is that to the extent grey dealers are getting new APs, they are probably from people who were able to get one or two pieces and decided to cash them out, or former VVIP customers that are done with AP.

In fact, I think preventing flipping is part of the reason why it's so hard for new customers to buy an AP these days. It is difficult for AP to tell if someone is genuinely interested in their watches or just wants to make a quick buck. That's why many in this forum have said if you want to get your first AP, you need to put in the effort to show the boutique you are genuinely interested in the brand and watches in general. It's also no coincidence that many of those on this forum who have been able to get their first AP from a boutique made some effort to do that. I believe it's AP's way of trying to weed out flippers.

Of course, nothing can be 100% effective, and genuinely interested people can also change their minds or lose interest, but I don't think AP would turn a blind eye to their VIPs flipping watches.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 05:26 PM   #25
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand this is very easy to throw out there, but the reality is for most people that desire an AP, they aren’t in watches to “make money”.
You've had people with plenty of money that didn't bother getting a 5711 or 15300 less than a decade ago. Now all of a sudden they know about it and need to have one.

They wouldn't have spent 25k at an AD (with or without discount eventually) knowing the watch would just be worth 20k in the end. Same with the Day-Dates.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 07:40 PM   #26
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Perhaps AP really turns a blind eye to it, but I'm not willing to find out. I'm no VVIP, but I find it hard to believe a true VVIP would risk their relationship with the boutique to flip a couple of watches, unless they have no intention of getting any watches from AP in the future. My guess is that to the extent grey dealers are getting new APs, they are probably from people who were able to get one or two pieces and decided to cash them out, or former VVIP customers that are done with AP.
I don't think it's just a few isolated incidents of consumers flipping due to the widespread availability among grey dealers and the difficulty of buying anything at the boutique for the regular customers. For VVIP customers that buys several million worth of AP watches a year on stuff like Concept Tourbillons and Grand Complications, the boutiques aren't going to turn them down if they request a few royal oaks as say "gifts". This then gets flip to the GDs and the subsequent earnings treated as a discount.

We are not going to see any improvement because the brand gets to sell everything, the VVIPs get their discount via this channel and the GDs pocket a handsome profit by reselling at inflated price so everyone is happy. The only ones getting "screwed" are the regular joe customers who are not flippers and have to pay a lot more if they want AP watches. Of course all this is speculation but the more I analyse things, the more this seems to be the case. Might even applied to Rolex and Patek as well.

It's a sad state of affair for genuine collectors but hey, it's business after all, the brands do what they can to sell.
Old 16 September 2021, 11:54 PM   #27
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you speak for everyone on this forum. Well said.
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:12 AM   #28
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
This is interesting because the managers at the boutique I talk to are very much against resellers and strongly discourage me from selling any of my APs, even ones I didn't buy from the boutique.

In fact, I think preventing flipping is part of the reason why it's so hard for new customers to buy an AP these days. It is difficult for AP to tell if someone is genuinely interested in their watches or just wants to make a quick buck. That's why many in this forum have said if you want to get your first AP, you need to put in the effort to show the boutique you are genuinely interested in the brand and watches in general. It's also no coincidence that many of those on this forum who have been able to get their first AP from a boutique made some effort to do that. I believe it's AP's way of trying to weed out flippers.

Of course, nothing can be 100% effective, and genuinely interested people can also change their minds or lose interest, but I don't think AP would turn a blind eye to their VIPs flipping watches.
I wish I could still have your perspective but I don't believe in this anymore. Same with RM, look at the amount of RMs some grey dealers have. That's crazy since they only produce a few thousand watches a year.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:20 AM   #29
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Whatever happened to patience being a virtue?
Old 17 September 2021, 02:35 AM   #30
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Whatever happened to patience being a virtue?

I was just thinking the same, I don’t care if I have to wait for a watch, it actually makes me enjoy it more if it’s hard to get. I’ve been waiting for a Patek 5726 for around 3 years which is double what the AD promised me but when it finally arrives I’ll just be glad to add it to my tiny collection.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote