The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2021, 02:39 AM   #1
messikens
"TRF" Member

NYC desperation - any help between 15500 and ROO

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. Hope the more experienced folks on this forum can give me some advice.

I registered my interest for a 15500ST white dial November last year at the NYC boutique (I am local) and have periodically popped in (about every 2 months or so) so keep in touch but apart from nice conversations - nothing in sight yet.

In the meantime the ROO 43mm have really caught my eye and I'd love to own both of them since they are very different watches for different occasions. I know the market currently is ridiculous so I'm questioning whether I should also register for a 43mm right now, wait until I ever receive the phone call for a 15500 (God knows at this point if I die of old age first) or see if I could get a 43mm first and then maybe improve my chanxes for a RO.

For reference, while I have read things about "buy a code first etc et " I am not wealthy enough to just buy watches i don't really care about to MAYBE improve my chance of getting one that I actually want (esp if we're talking about tens of $$k here each). I'm also not really looking to support any Grey dealers and realize - living in NYC without prior history I feel like the odds are stacked against me.

Thanks
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:27 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Definitely register for the 43mm if you really want it. AP encourages for you to list all the pieces you are interested in.

Odds are stacked against you but I had no history and got a call for a 15500st within a year so I know it’s possible. I registered 15500st in all colors and even 38mm and 41mm chronos saying i’ll take whatever comes first (Which was true). I eventually got a call for a white 15500st and I took it obviously. Now I narrowed down my list and am waiting on a 41mm ROC. Good luck.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 06:47 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Things appear to be changing at a rapid pace, right now it’s extremely difficult to buy a 15500 as your 1st watch. If you like the Offshore then I highly recommend it, I’ve worn various Offshores for the last 15 years and never get bored of them due to the ability to quickly change the straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:17 AM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think it's possible to get the 43 ROO as a first watch. And the secondary values seem to be holding their own if not holding at a premium, so this is in my opinion a no brainer, low risk barrier to entry into the brand.

FWIW, when I physically picked up the RO for the first time, I never felt it was a 25k watch. I thought maybe felt like a 15k watch. This is irrespective of secondary prices, just how I personally felt about the construction. However, these ceramic bezeled ROO, wow, they actually feel like 40k watches, which surprised me with no precious metal. They are just that well built.

And by the way, I never felt this way about 42ROO, especially the ones with the rubber pushers. Movement is very nice, everything touching and feeling comes across as premium.

I will even go so far as to say I've been enjoying the 43ROO 5x more than the RO which gets boring after 1-2 days of wearing it.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 07:20 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Also...the reality is your dilemma is a false dilemma. With no gray route, you are unlikely to get a RO. Too many Code buyers ahead of you waiting in line. (But who knows, maybe you are someone important or friends with very important people -- I mean this sincerely as it might help change the equation).

But if not, then the question is simply ROO or no ROO.
Old 18 September 2021, 07:37 AM   #6
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I will even go so far as to say I've been enjoying the 43ROO 5x more than the RO which gets boring after 1-2 days of wearing it.

Glad you’ve very quickly realised how good the Offshore is because only 4 days ago I thought you were trolling the thread.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 08:36 AM   #7
messikens
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys - I appreciate it. May walk in at some point next week and see if I get put on the magical list.
They're both fantastic watches so I'd really love to own both at some point but reading the comments here is discouraging to say the least (seddy gave me some hope, lol). Weird state of affairs when you feel inadequate for only being able to potentially afford 2 watches that cost a combined $60k ��
Old 18 September 2021, 08:59 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Glad you’ve very quickly realised how good the Offshore is because only 4 days ago I thought you were trolling the thread.

Lol. It was a genuine question!

I can enjoy Alinea without understanding what it’s about.

I really have no idea what the design language and inspiration was for the ROO. Like why this sauce choice, why this type of pasta? But I just know it works and tastes good.

Oh and I save internet trolling for Chi Scott and 7sins. Ha.
Old 18 September 2021, 09:13 AM   #9
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Register your interest and discuss the design language etc w them. Tell them you are willing to be patient, assuming you are.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 01:09 PM   #10
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Go back into boutique to say hello as well as your interest in the Offshore. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 11:26 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

I think size is the big issue for most AP fans, but once you comfortably get the 44/43/42 on your wrist there is no denying it is a fabulous piece of kit, bang for your buck the best quality sports watch out there for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Offshore is great, register your interest now, they are becoming more and more popular. In some ways, I prefer mine to my Royal Oaks, they are more fun and are a bit of an oxymoron, which i like.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 08:39 AM   #13
messikens
"TRF" Member

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Offshore is great, register your interest now, they are becoming more and more popular. In some ways, I prefer mine to my Royal Oaks, they are more fun and are a bit of an oxymoron, which i like.

Thanks Token - between you and some of the others you’ve made my choice somewhat easier. I'll have to speak to them about getting on the list for the Grey one. If anyone has a real life picture I'd love to see it... It's my color of choice but so far the only ones I've seen posted are taupe and the steel blue one.

I'll see what the SA has to say...
Old 19 September 2021, 08:56 AM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
Register your interest and discuss the design language etc w them. Tell them you are willing to be patient, assuming you are.
But his title begins with "NYC desperation"

That does not look like patience to me LOL!!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote