The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 March 2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Marriage is an action of insecurity brought about by social and religious pressures to do such.
It sounds like you've had a bad experience Don and for that I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with your statement more.

I was lucky enough to meet my soulmate in my early twenties. We've been happily married for 40 years. Neither one of us were insecure or religious. In fact our marriage was a statement of our total security in ourselves, each other and our relationship. I cant imagine my life without her.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 10:22 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Never had to do anything crazy. My wife was the one crazy enough to turn down an excellent job offer back home and move across the country to look for work. I’m quite lucky.
Old 16 March 2018, 10:45 AM   #33
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
It sounds like you've had a bad experience Don and for that I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree with your statement more.

I was lucky enough to meet my soulmate in my early twenties. We've been happily married for 40 years. Neither one of us were insecure or religious. In fact our marriage was a statement of our total security in ourselves, each other and our relationship. I cant imagine my life without her.
Oh no, not at all ! I’ve been married and divorced, but no major drama. We actually hang out often and it’s been twenty years. I also have a daughter and grandson.

If one removes socially trained feelings, there is nothing logically beneficial to a man in marriage. Single female activity partners are plentiful, and considering the vast array of divorced soccer moms, there is definitely no sexual advantage to being married ! Sure, I love a good steak, but I can’t eat it 24/7 !

There is nothing better than sitting on the sofa watching some TV on a Wednesday night, and saying to oneself, “I’m gonna hop on a motorcycle in the morning and ride to the Adirondacks for a few days”, or calling a female friend and say “Let’s go to the beach for the weekend.”

Pure bliss !

Old 16 March 2018, 11:55 AM   #34
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh no, not at all ! I’ve been married and divorced, but no major drama. We actually hang out often and it’s been twenty years. I also have a daughter and grandson.

If one removes socially trained feelings, there is nothing logically beneficial to a man in marriage. Single female activity partners are plentiful, and considering the vast array of divorced soccer moms, there is definitely no sexual advantage to being married ! Sure, I love a good steak, but I can’t eat it 24/7 !

There is nothing better than sitting on the sofa watching some TV on a Wednesday night, and saying to oneself, “I’m gonna hop on a motorcycle in the morning and ride to the Adirondacks for a few days”, or calling a female friend and say “Let’s go to the beach for the weekend.”

Pure bliss !

I do agree with you that from GENX back, there is the societal "pressure" that in order to be a proper person, one has to be married and want kids...if you don't fall into this category, then you might be going about life the wrong way...

Now with millenials and what comes after, this could be changing. Young people really don't "date" anymore. They basically just hang out and then at some point one of the couple just kind of stays with the other until they hook up with someone else...then they live with them.....rinse and repeat.

Marriage? some of it happens in that age group, but it is definitely declining..
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 12:59 PM   #35
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Did something extremely crazy once, and I'd love to give some details, but the case is still open, so mum's the word.
Old 16 March 2018, 01:44 PM   #36
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

Pure bliss !

Nice to hear you have a healthy relationship with your ex. I get your point of view however it is somewhat one dimensional. If you categorize all women as only bringing a single beneficial aspect to a marriage then it's understandable why you would have this opinion. My experience is an opposite polarity. I also like making spur of the moment decisions and I love the fact that my wife always either joins in of tells me to go and enjoy myself regardless if it's a day or a week. No drama here either.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 02:35 PM   #37
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The only "crazy thing I ever did for love" was marrying my first wife. I really loved her family & it was reciprocated. Her, not so much. Fortunately it was an easy exit.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 04:50 PM   #38
TurboDiesel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Ahhh... No.
Concur
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 05:04 PM   #39
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
easy

married my ex wife!
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 05:14 PM   #40
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 05:36 PM   #41
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
married my ex wife!

Old 16 March 2018, 06:36 PM   #42
Mewski
"TRF" Member

I think its selfish point of view, marriage its not a cage or something like that, one to another person have to give some space for each other. Everyday you have to try, but you and your wife have to try to be better. Love its not perfect everyday and it would be some good and bad days but you have to try! Dont give up guys!
Mewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 06:47 PM   #43
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Marriage isn't for everyone... When I got married my friends told me that I'm too independent and the marriage would never last... Well 35 years later I outlasted most of their marriages

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 01:17 AM   #44
kellyon
Banned

Got flowers sent to her dorm on V-Day with a card spelling out a YouTube URL. The URL was to an unlisted video where I wrote and recorded her a song.
kellyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:23 AM   #45
Clockmen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
1 ) moved to another country. It did not work out..
2 ) divorced. It worked out great..

I jumped out of a plan on out first date!
Clockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:44 AM   #46
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Back in High School in the mid 70's I thumbed across town in a snowstorm with a pack of cigarettes for my girlfriend. Boy was that a dumb thing to do.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 04:04 AM   #47
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyon View Post
Got flowers sent to her dorm on V-Day with a card spelling out a YouTube URL. The URL was to an unlisted video where I wrote and recorded her a song.
How romantic! I... I... I think I’m going to cry.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote