The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 07:54 PM   #31
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Hotel safe

Is where you get robbed!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 08:51 PM   #32
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
The point is this can and does happen any and everywhere in the world. I travelled across three West African countries by road last year and I enjoyed what was an experience of a lifetime with my GMT on my wrist.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:25 AM   #33
SFmedic13
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Currently
Like everyone posted already, Common Sense and Situational awareness. Should someone comment on your watch in public overseas a good response is "Not bad for $25.00 dollars eh! Alot of fakes out there so some would not think twice that it could be....
SFmedic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #34
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Don't do it. Europe is basically a zombie apocalypse - people have turned to savages. We steal each other's organs for food and melt Rolex watches for weapons. Stay in peaceful North America where milk of human kindness still flows and crime is thing of the past.
Haha 28 days later did make me think twice about going a few years ago. I was hoping things would get better by now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 03:41 AM   #35
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I’ve been to Puerto Vallarta, Barcelona, Manila, Hong Kong, Paris, London, Dublin, Brisbane, Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Tokyo, Seoul, and a bunch of others in the recent past. On every one of those trips, I was wearing a gold or platinum watch. ALS, AP, Rolex. On many of those trips, I took more than one watch.
Wow you've been all over! Thank you for your answer. One place from your list that I would be a bit uneasy wearing it would be Puerto vallarta, especially with the amount of tourists that have been hurt or killed the past few months. Of course some of them weren't smart while there, going off to sketchy clubs at night and possibly starting fights with locals.

Old 24 March 2019, 03:48 AM   #36
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
I’ve worked in London for over 15 years and never been pickpocketed, mugged, robbed, threatened or intimidated by anyone (I also happen to be 6’5 and 220lbs so that might be why). I’ve owned and worn several TT watches over the years and spot countless Rolex’s on the wrists of professionals on a daily basis.

You will be absolutely fine. Just don’t make yourself a target, be street wise and try to not make yourself look like a tourist (i.e looking a maps of London of where to go etc) as I’m sure those people are easy prey.
Thanks for the reply bigguy. I realize that there are many rolex owners in Europe such as London and Spain, but I've never been to to Europe before this will be my first time. I don't want to come off looking like a tourist and being targeted.

I've had family friends who have gone to Europe tell me constantly to watch out for pickpockets and that they'll come up to you on motorcycles and take stuff off your wrist. I can see that was just fear mongering. I appreciate your opinion and reassurance ,I'm sure that I'll have a lot of fun there :)

Old 24 March 2019, 04:09 AM   #37
reeko
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone who posted. I realize my question may be ridiculous to most of you and maybe insulting. I'm traveling with my wife and two young boys, so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't putting us at unnecessary risk just because I want to wear my yg tt gmt. I'm going to take it with me and rock it, and use the gmt function :)
Old 24 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #38
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
Wow you've been all over! Thank you for your answer. One place from your list that I would be a bit uneasy wearing it would be Puerto vallarta, especially with the amount of tourists that have been hurt or killed the past few months. Of course some of them weren't smart while there, going off to sketchy clubs at night and possibly starting fights with locals.

In PV, we rented a large beachfront home, and spent a lot of time in the pool. I wore a two tone Sub with slate serti dial, or a white gold Day-Date with meteorite dial every day.

We walked the boardwalk along the coast, shopping, eating, people watching. We went to one of the marine parks where my wife swam with dolphins. We chartered a boat and caught tuna. We walked the city streets, checked out the cathedral, etc. We went to the large supermarket for some cheese, veggies, and wine. We walked to the corner convenience store for a late night beer run and cigarettes for my brother.

We traveled by foot, by taxi, and by chauffeured car service.

No incidents; no issues.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:11 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Travelling with a two tone

Traveling is fine... you can even go deep sea diving in TT now too

attracting pick pockets or sharks... its all the same
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:14 AM   #40
Juantxo
Banned

If you are an experienced traveler you are fine. Now, if you walk down La Gran Via (Madrid) or Las Ramblas (Barcelona) in the summer wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a camera around your neck, you better secure your wallet and back pack.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:39 AM   #41
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
When traveling abroad I wear my Explorer II with one exception -- just came back from Rio where I wore my $15 Casio and kept the Rolex in the hotel safe. Also, wearing a long sleeve shirt will cover-up your Rolex.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:40 AM   #42
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Ahhhhh:ban ghead:
Old 24 March 2019, 05:47 AM   #43
Bort
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16803
I've been to many countries wearing either tt or ss subs, and never had any problems. Use situational awareness, don't walk around looking like an easy mark, and don't walk back to your hotel late at night inebriated. Have fun!
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:07 AM   #44
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
OP, you are going to hear just about anything from safe to unsafe. Common sense is king, especially when in a big, highly touristy city. I was born and raised in Milan almost 50 years ago. In the airline industry for almost 20 years. Time have changed. I used to travel with my Rolex on, now I prefer to leave it at home and wear my Seiko. Yes, there is insurance but my personal safety is number one. You can replace a watch if stolen, but if you are hurt in the process, not so much.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 08:36 AM   #45
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
I've been to Spain a lot, Turkey, Florida, Michigan, Bahamas, all with my Sub TT Bluesy on, Vancouver, Seattle and Malta all planed for this year, the only reason I won't take my Sub is if I decide to take my Sea Dweller, but the Sub has the glidelock so it's easer to adjust in hotter places and will almost certainly be my travel companion again
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:29 AM   #46
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

I’ll be wearing my Apple Watch when traveling to certain places from now on.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:45 AM   #47
MSJMJ
"TRF" Member

I hear that even thieves don’t want TT models ;-)
MSJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:02 AM   #48
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Use the same caution traveling abroad that you would at home. Some parts of London aren't safe. Some parts of New York aren't safe. Some parts of Boise aren't safe.

A flashy, expensive-looking watch is a bad idea in certain neighborhoods, but less so in certain entire countries.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:05 AM   #49
Rogerk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50th Sea Dweller
I just got back from a cruise with stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán and Cabo. Wore my two tone Datejust the whole time and didn’t have any issues.
Rogerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:29 AM   #50
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
OP, you are going to hear just about anything from safe to unsafe. Common sense is king, especially when in a big, highly touristy city. I was born and raised in Milan almost 50 years ago. In the airline industry for almost 20 years. Time have changed. I used to travel with my Rolex on, now I prefer to leave it at home and wear my Seiko. Yes, there is insurance but my personal safety is number one. You can replace a watch if stolen, but if you are hurt in the process, not so much.
Do you feel like certain places are more unsafe than others? What's made you switch to your Seiko now when you travel? I agree with you that personal safety is much more important.

Old 24 March 2019, 10:34 AM   #51
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJMJ View Post
I hear that even thieves don’t want TT models ;-)
Unless you're wearing the tt chnr. Lol. But if you were wearing the new tt seadweller they would lecture you why it's a proper tool watch and shouldn't have any gold :)

Old 24 March 2019, 10:41 AM   #52
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Use the same caution traveling abroad that you would at home. Some parts of London aren't safe. Some parts of New York aren't safe. Some parts of Boise aren't safe.

A flashy, expensive-looking watch is a bad idea in certain neighborhoods, but less so in certain entire countries.
You're right about this. I'm comfortable wearing it around Canada because I basically know which parts are safer than others, but I can't really say that about Spain since I've never been. As others have said, I just need to be aware of my surroundings as I normally should be and don't put myself in precarious situations. Also don't dress like a tourist!

Old 24 March 2019, 10:46 AM   #53
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerk View Post
I just got back from a cruise with stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán and Cabo. Wore my two tone Datejust the whole time and didn’t have any issues.
Did you wander off outside the touristy areas? I see lots off beautiful pics of rolex's on cruises, I'm sure you saw a lot of them.

Old 24 March 2019, 10:49 AM   #54
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
I've read a few threads with people having no issues wearing their Rolex while traveling, but from what I can tell it's only with ss models. Is there anyone that travels outside of North America with tt watches, such as Europe? Or is this a no no?

I think you need to travel more.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:51 AM   #55
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I've worn my TT GMT all over the world. I don't flash it. Never had a problem. When I go out for dinner I generally wear a long sleeved shirt and as stated many times, be aware of your surroundings. Do your best to stay out of places known for their crime or targeting tourists.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:07 AM   #56
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I think you need to travel more.
I agree! That's what I'm trying to do now. I've only ever travelled through north America or central America.

Old 24 March 2019, 11:11 AM   #57
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I've worn my TT GMT all over the world. I don't flash it. Never had a problem. When I go out for dinner I generally wear a long sleeved shirt and as stated many times, be aware of your surroundings. Do your best to stay out of places known for their crime or targeting tourists.
Did you generally feel safe with it on wearing a t shirt, so it wasn't covered up.

Old 24 March 2019, 11:59 AM   #58
Albatross
"TRF" Member

I wear a two tone Datejust into Detroit on a weekly basis. Enough said. Don't be stupid and you'll be fine.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:15 PM   #59
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Oh my OP, with these many safety concerns, better stay home?
Old 24 March 2019, 12:27 PM   #60
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I’ve travelled the world with my TT Daytona, South AM, Europe, dreaded Ramblas in Barcelona, everywhere...however, I’m 6ft, 200lbs and, heavy set. I think that opportunistic thief’s do profile targets and, larger men are less vulnerable. Maybe it’s not a general rule, especially when thieves are armed but, if not, it definitely plays a role.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote