The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2019, 05:43 AM   #61
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris975d View Post
Yes, but that’s long gone. Most Rolex wearers no nothing of the history of the brand, only that Rolex is a show of affluence and the watch to have. You’d probably be surprised by how many Rolex owners don’t even know the name of the model they wear. I am pretty close friends with my AD, and also see Rolexes in my line of work on a daily basis more or less (in golf course operations..lots of money in golf). Just to strike up convo, when I see a Rolex I’ll often ask about it, along the lines of “oh, nice watch. What model is that?” (When I typically already know). Vast majority respond with “Rolex”. I’ll say, “I see that, but which model/reference?” To which I either get a blank stare, or “I don’t know, it’s a Rolex”. I’d say conservatively maybe 2 out of every 10 Rolex wearers I encounter can even talk watches like we do here.

So this is the target market this TT SD43 is made for...those that want a larger diver with more flash. Same reason the Sub has precious metals, this is just larger.
This, 100%. Was at the local Mercedes dealer few months ago, this guy is wearing a Daytona 116515, I casually comment on the watch by saying how much I like Daytonas, to which he replies 'why do you call it that?' I explain and come to find out he has no idea what kind of watch he's wearing, only that it's a Rolex in rose gold …

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:46 AM   #62
chris975d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
This, 100%. Was at the local Mercedes dealer few months ago, this guy is wearing a Daytona 116515, I casually commented on the watch by saying how much I like Daytonas, to which he replied 'why do you call it that?' I explained to him and found out he had no idea what kind of watch he was wearing, only that it was a Rolex in rose gold …

Yep. I see this all the time. Most recent experience was me saying “nice Sub” to a guy who seemed genuinely confused by what I said. Figured I needed to speak up so, “NICE SUB...YOUR WATCH”, nodding toward his wrist. His response: “oh, it’s a Rolex”.

So OP, there’s your “tool” watch...
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:47 AM   #63
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
I appeals to me and I am neither of those .
Me too. I like gold as much as any man. Such lavish embellishment was previously reserved for the Submariner. I blame the maxicase because what we have here is two similar looking watches, now with similar glitz except one has the fat lugs. Cheers Maxicase.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:19 AM   #64
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
That's why I prefer the 4 and 5 digit references
You still haven’t revealed if you’ve actually dived to the depths that submariner is no longer sufficient and sea dweller is justified regardless of material.

Also - there’s one key word in your quote above that perfectly answers your entire thread.
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:21 AM   #65
logo
"TRF" Member

The counter point is that among all buyers of the sea dweller or deep sea, how many have actually gone to 4000 ft let alone diving period. Let’s not forget the standard oyster case with 300 ft would do fine for most people in terms of water proofing.

The sea dweller and deep sea may be a tool watch in its capable function, but 99% of buyers will never use that function to begin with and instead just want the look or idea of it. So then why not offer it with precious metal? It’s not like that takes away from its functionality.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:32 AM   #66
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It could be argued that gold is a superior metal for a dive watch. It is very corrosion resistant; many gold products and tools are still in use after hundreds, perhaps thousands in some cases, of years.

Gold is recognized as a superior metal for many industrial applications - it is the ultimate tool metal.
It’s also softer, more easily damaged, and heavier...not ideal traits of a tool in context.

Regarding the benefits of gold for its corrosion resistance-
1) the additional service life resulting specifically from that corrosion resistance over stainless would have to be long enough to cover the increased cost
2) unless it’s a solid gold case, which the Sea Dweller isn’t, the integrity of the water resistance (i.e., the entire justification for it being a “tool”) is identical to that of the standard SS model, making the service life also identical to that of the SS model...in which case, the gold is pure ornamentation, and serves zero functional purpose.

*if that was a mock devil’s advocate post poking fun at the absurdity of gold being used for such a tool, I’ll admit it went over my head
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #67
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Once they started making the super size case and ceramic bezels they were no longer associated with tools imo.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:39 AM   #68
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I love gold accent on watches. Dear Rolex, now that you have given us the stunning TT SD43, please debut the TT DSSD at your Baseleorld 2020.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:43 AM   #69
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
Spending several thousands on any watch is an illogical purchase. Yet here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:47 AM   #70
chris975d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
It’s also softer, more easily damaged, and heavier...not ideal traits of a tool in context.

Regarding the benefits of gold for its corrosion resistance-
1) the additional service life resulting specifically from that corrosion resistance over stainless would have to be long enough to cover the increased cost
2) unless it’s a solid gold case, which the Sea Dweller isn’t, the integrity of the water resistance (i.e., the entire justification for it being a “tool”) is identical to that of the standard SS model, making the service life also identical to that of the SS model...in which case, the gold is pure ornamentation, and serves zero functional purpose.

*if that was a mock devil’s advocate post poking fun at the absurdity of gold being used for such a tool, I’ll admit it went over my head

I really don’t think there’s much economic rationale for any of these, SS or PM, as being tool anythings. We are talking about a watch that’s $12,000 in stainless steel. And is totally outclassed in it’s intended purpose by a $600 dive computer. This “tool” concept when we are talking about $10,000 and up jewelry really needs to kind of go away. No one would pay 20x for a power tool that does less than another. We WIS use the term “tool watch” as personal justification to buy wrist worn man jewelry.
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:52 AM   #71
Brew
"TRF" Member

The new reference meets or exceeds all of the old reference's specs, plus gold. What's the problem (other than an exploded myth)?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:54 AM   #72
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

What is inside most Rolex models is essentially a tool watch movement. Nothing of any horological significance or, for the most part at least, ground breaking innovation. Tried and tested, bullet proof, accurate and reliable. I think Rolex are to be congratulated for taking something so basic and adding materials, style, endorsement and marketing to elevate them into the stratosphere of desirability. The TT SD is a good fit. I hope it doesn't become another double MSRP AD Unicorn. Maybe those who want one might actually stand a chance for a change?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:54 AM   #73
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really don’t think there’s much economic rationale for any of these, SS or PM, as being tool anythings. We are talking about a watch that’s $12,000 in stainless steel. And is totally outclassed in it’s intended purpose by a $600 dive computer. This “tool” concept when we are talking about $10,000 and up jewelry really needs to kind of go away. No one would pay 20x for a power tool that does less than another. We WIS use the term “tool watch” as personal justification to buy wrist worn man jewelry.
Agreed 100%. I was really just playing devil’s advocate to any remaining notion of these things being “tools”.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:54 AM   #74
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
Spending several thousands on any watch is an illogical purchase. Yet here we are.
x2 200,000+ undiagnosed crazy people with access to the internet - Now there's a recipe for disaster.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:28 AM   #75
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
x2 200,000+ undiagnosed crazy people with access to the internet - Now there's a recipe for disaster.

how true. But it’s fun.
Old 24 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #76
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxLemon View Post
You still haven’t revealed if you’ve actually dived to the depths that submariner is no longer sufficient and sea dweller is justified regardless of material.

Also - there’s one key word in your quote above that perfectly answers your entire thread.
You know the answer perfectly, so ...
But one thing has nothing to do with the other
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 08:40 AM   #77
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
The counter point is that among all buyers of the sea dweller or deep sea, how many have actually gone to 4000 ft let alone diving period. Let’s not forget the standard oyster case with 300 ft would do fine for most people in terms of water proofing.

The sea dweller and deep sea may be a tool watch in its capable function, but 99% of buyers will never use that function to begin with and instead just want the look or idea of it. So then why not offer it with precious metal? It’s not like that takes away from its functionality.
And then why certify it at 1220m?
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:50 AM   #78
kls120
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And then why certify it at 1220m?
Because Rolex can and it's cool?
kls120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:18 AM   #79
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
It is a contradiction in my opinion. The watch tool concept is not compatible with gold. I think the same of
Submariner, but the SD is still less logical
Come on man, you have to be kidding! My Porsche has an onboard Chronograph that is more accurate than a Daytona, dive computers cost far less and are better for diving, and I can see the time in any timezone with complete accuracy on my iPhone.
If your looking for a logical hobby...$15,000 timepieces probably isn’t it
Old 24 March 2019, 10:38 AM   #80
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Indeed! These haven't been tool watches for a while even though they started out as such in the pre-digital edge. Rolex is really selling a fantasy through the genius of their world class marketing. Some folks will bash up their Rolex in line with their tool watch heritage, but most of us will care for these expensive and cherished possessions. My 2 cents. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:46 AM   #81
Juantxo
Banned

It’d be interesting to have a psychological profile of forum dwellers.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:51 AM   #82
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex largest selling model of all time is the TT Datejust. The TT Sub Date is likely the second largest selling TT model.

So, yes. Perhaps the TT SD will get the same following. I like it.
X2 and as you said the gold does improve the corrosion resistance.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:05 AM   #83
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I'd rock the TT SD43 in a heartbeat. Just about any watch Rolex makes with the exception of a Celini far exceeds most of our needs for water resistance. I would say we purchase what appeals to us visually or it has a complication we find useful like the GMTs. In other words, it's largely jewelry.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:25 AM   #84
nuts070
"TRF" Member

Tool watch concept...I don't understand why people keep on insisting this on 10k plus watches that doesn't do anything other than give the time and adorn a man's wrist. And hating TTs? Everyone hates them until it's given to them for free...
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #85
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Don’t think about the gold content. Simple think it is a design then you may accept it and like it.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:09 PM   #86
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I giggle a bit when I hear people talk about “tool watches”.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 04:37 PM   #87
timeldn
"TRF" Member

Golden tool? We are crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Come on man, you have to be kidding! My Porsche has an onboard Chronograph that is more accurate than a Daytona, dive computers cost far less and are better for diving, and I can see the time in any timezone with complete accuracy on my iPhone.
If your looking for a logical hobby...$15,000 timepieces probably isn’t it

Very good point Thank you.
timeldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:03 PM   #88
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeldn View Post
Very good point Thank you.

How does his Porsche and iPhone perform at 1220 metres.

I guess some have to squeeze that Porsche name in somehow.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:08 PM   #89
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
I giggle a bit when I hear people talk about “tool watches”.
Me too. I'll believe that "tool watch" noise as soon as one of these guys buys a $10k screwdriver or has 3,000 posts on a hammer forum.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:09 PM   #90
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
No worries, they are still producing the all SS version.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote