The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2019, 07:03 AM   #61
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
In my experience, the pain in your side is worse than the passing itself.

It’s excruciating and inescapable.

Had two while in college. 20 years ago. I hope to the gods above that I don’t get another.
Agree with the pain being worse (much) when it leaves the kidney into the ureter, etc., than when it leaves your willie.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 10:17 AM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Childbirth is well known as one of the most painful experiences that humans can have. However, the pain of having a kidney stone is considered to be comparable. In fact, some people have rated the pain of a kidney stone as being worse than that of childbirth.... according to google

men are notoriously worse with dealing with pain though. Any ladies who have gone through both? what's the verdict?
My sister seemed to think childbirth was worse but she went natural on the child birth and had morphine with the stones. I imagine that had a lot to do with it

I’ve never had one and hope not to ever. Everyone says it’s like being repeatedly stabbed in the side.
Old 12 March 2019, 10:35 AM   #63
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My sister seemed to think childbirth was worse but she went natural on the child birth and had morphine with the stones. I imagine that had a lot to do with it

I’ve never had one and hope not to ever. Everyone says it’s like being repeatedly stabbed in the side.
No Tom. It’s worse than that.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 01:29 PM   #64
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Drink 6 PBR... analgesia and hydration to flush them out

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:00 PM   #65
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
Drink 6 PBR... analgesia and hydration to flush them out
Hi what is PBR?
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:07 PM   #66
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
PBR is Pabst blue ribbon beer.

No literature on it, but old Medicine man voodoo!

Hydrate and Analgesia.

Flush that baby out.

My dad cut out alcohol 25 years ago. Had a small < 5 mm stone. My mom booked him up and it facilitated the transition well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:09 PM   #67
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My dad had to have one surgically removed and had others, including the one he had when he was on his deathbed that was too large to do anything about given his condition.

My sister has had probably a dozen of them.

I have never had one and I pray to God I never do.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:16 PM   #68
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I was in Iraq sleeping in a tent in the middle of the summer, when at 2am a kidney stone decided to show up. The shitter has almost 150 ft away. Longest walk I had in all my life. Then I had to walk to the TMC about .75 miles away. Freaking brutal. I am hurting now thinking about it.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:10 AM   #69
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Lithotripsy is about the easiest surgery one can have. Not sure if that would fix this guy's woes, but it did mine.

And the final release of that procedure was one of the most amazing things my body has ever done. Sounded like a machine gun going off with metal pellets slamming against the porcelain urinal at the office. I means hundreds of rounds! Sooooooo glad no-one else was in there when that sucker went off.
After my lithotripsy , literally right after, I went to Walgreens, sedated, (wasn’t driving) to get a script filled .. I stuck with Advil but anyway, I urinated in their bathroom... into a strainer... I caught all sorts of sand and shards... a week later at work... I was still straining my urine, stashing a cup in the restroom etc... I felt a sting quickly, then nothing.. I urinated another shard ... same thing at 245 am another morning at home. It is really crazy to know basically “rock” was in your body. I hope you all had yours tested. I stopped straining urine because I’ve caight sand, shards, and a 3mm piece of stone. I’ve xrays in a few weeks and will bring all the samples in for testing. Since, I’ve drunk lemon water, water, water, and more water. No soda, no coffee. My doctor said all that matters is stay hydrated, atop the coffee etc. I wish you all well.

Oh yes, apparently after the procedure, i asked the staff, “did you blow up the Death Star????” I guess I kind of likened the stone to the Death Star, and my doctor to Luke skywalker. And I’m not even a huge Star Wars fan. Apparently, the staff spoke of this for days, my comment. (My wife works there). I don’t entirely recall saying that, but I guess I did.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 09:46 AM   #70
KOOLNDEADLY
"TRF" Member

The most pain I have ever experienced- I would not wish it on anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KOOLNDEADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:52 PM   #71
The_Canad
"TRF" Member

I have an MRI tomorrow morning to see if they can zap mine Otherwise its surgery. It’s 1cmx1cm
The_Canad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:06 PM   #72
swils8610

Good luck! Hopefully it can be zapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:09 PM   #73
The_Canad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Good luck! Hopefully it can be zapped.

Oh god I hope so too.
Old 23 March 2019, 07:13 AM   #74
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canad View Post
Oh god I hope so too.
can I ask.. is the "zap" to which you refer lithrotripsy.. they normally use general anesthesia for that. hope it went well.
Old 23 March 2019, 07:58 AM   #75
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I don’t wish kidney stones on my worst enemy. Working in a hospital I’ve seen first hand what patients endure.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 12:37 PM   #76
swils8610

Zapped referring to Lithotripsy. They use a light sedation. It’s painless.

Old 23 March 2019, 12:47 PM   #77
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Zapped referring to Lithotripsy. They use a light sedation. It’s painless.

Oddly, where I reside, they use full anesthesia.no exemptions. I was fully out during it. I’m unsure why. I asked beforehand and the doctor says it’s standard to be “out fully....” which I didn’t like.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:27 PM   #78
Dana1
Banned

Lucky you man. Bet you have a story to tell

Sent from my M5 mini using Tapatalk
Dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:21 AM   #79
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Ever since reading this thread, I’ve been drinking water like a drunken sailor
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 01:21 AM   #80
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Timely thread.

Got hit with a ball of fire on Wednesday. Amazing how 2 Advil every 5 hours changes your life from HELL to OK.

Did the DR thing on Friday and CT scan and luckily I only have a 4mm (I know, what a wuss) which is now located an inch from the bladder which the DR thinks will pass in a couple of days.

If not he offered a red hot poker up there to retrieve it. Now on Flomax, Torodol and Tylenol which seems to work but after 7 hours all HELL breaks loose again until you take some more.

After having this, you definitely get a "no running with scissors" mentality about drinking enough water, even though I drink about 80 fl oz a day. My understanding is also that you want to make sure you're keeping your urine alkaline instead of acidic, which is where you make sure your potassium citrate intake levels are adequate. (lemon water, avocado etc)

There are test strips available at drug stores you pee on to show where your PH is, for some people it may be a way to gauge your acidity and to check maybe once a week or so just for peace of mind. It will also let you know if you're pregnant. (sorry just kidding).

Good luck to everyone suffering from this nasty interloper in your life.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:35 AM   #81
swils8610

4mm isn’t tiny! The good news is it doesn’t have far to go to be out out! I can tell you first hand you do NOT want the doctor to go in and retrieve it! Pound down the water!

Old 24 March 2019, 05:44 AM   #82
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
4mm isn’t tiny! The good news is it doesn’t have far to go to be out out! I can tell you first hand you do NOT want the doctor to go in and retrieve it! Pound down the water!

Yeah, thanks. I've had the scope up in the bladder before and it sucks big time. Going even deeper would be worse than Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:27 PM   #83
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

When it comes to kidney stone pain, size doesn't matter.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 12:24 AM   #84
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

the real question is when it passes, the moments/minutes/hours after does it feel absolutely euphoric? lol

like you are brand new again
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 04:54 AM   #85
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
The patients I treated were as happy as a human can get when the stone hit the bladder. Euphoria is a great term for it. And few, if any, ever noticed discomfort as it traversed the final stretch between the bladder and the outside world.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:01 AM   #86
The_Canad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
can I ask.. is the "zap" to which you refer lithrotripsy.. they normally use general anesthesia for that. hope it went well.
I have a follow up to see if they can zap. If not it’ll be up the dick and no one wants that. Will update after Apr 17. Good ol Canadian health care.
Old 25 March 2019, 10:37 AM   #87
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canad View Post
I have a follow up to see if they can zap. If not it’ll be up the dick and no one wants that. Will update after Apr 17. Good ol Canadian health care.
I wish you the best. I love the band rush and have been to Toronto many times. (Yes, Canada is a huge country, I’m well aware). Canadians are so polite and kind , to me. I wish you he best.
Old 25 March 2019, 10:43 AM   #88
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Timely thread.

Got hit with a ball of fire on Wednesday. Amazing how 2 Advil every 5 hours changes your life from HELL to OK.

Did the DR thing on Friday and CT scan and luckily I only have a 4mm (I know, what a wuss) which is now located an inch from the bladder which the DR thinks will pass in a couple of days.

If not he offered a red hot poker up there to retrieve it. Now on Flomax, Torodol and Tylenol which seems to work but after 7 hours all HELL breaks loose again until you take some more.

After having this, you definitely get a "no running with scissors" mentality about drinking enough water, even though I drink about 80 fl oz a day. My understanding is also that you want to make sure you're keeping your urine alkaline instead of acidic, which is where you make sure your potassium citrate intake levels are adequate. (lemon water, avocado etc)

There are test strips available at drug stores you pee on to show where your PH is, for some people it may be a way to gauge your acidity and to check maybe once a week or so just for peace of mind. It will also let you know if you're pregnant. (sorry just kidding).

Good luck to everyone suffering from this nasty interloper in your life.
As others have said, a stone’s size doesn’t matter. As others have said.

The SHAPE matters most. A dr told me any size stone can cause excruciating pain. He’s seen 1 mm stones get stuck in ureter due to being “prong shaped....”

I wish you well. I’m still having sporadic dull pain in my kidney weeks after lithotripsy... the bad thing is you MUST DRINK WATER. at least 15 cups daily if you can. Try to pass it. It’s all yo can do. Advil makes the kidney swelling decrease.

Check out this video for laugh. Foxworthy nails it..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SANOaHmE-G8
Old 25 March 2019, 10:52 AM   #89
Blah114aa
Banned

There’s a gal I know, now, that has weekly stones. Her pain was once excruciating enough to go to ER. Here’s her regimen.. she’s had stents and surgery also a few times.... Before finally doing below..

Drink water. She sets her phone alarm 7-7 , 7 days weekly.. to ring every two hours and drinks one cup,of water when the alarm rings

She no longer drinks soda or coffee.

She mixes one teaspoon of lemon water with a cup of water once daily. The lemon water , organic, helps prevent formation of stones, she says.

Anytime she has alcohol, she counters it by drinking 2-3 glasses of water afterwards.

Since starting this regimen two years ago, she’s not had new pain since.

Once when a doctor removed her stent... she had 10-15 small stones attached to the stent. She then realized she’d been having stones for 20 years but had been passing them unknowingly, since she wasn’t aware of what a kidney stone was exactly

I like the idea of a phone alarm. She really drinks 12+ cups of water daily, one of which has lemon juice mixed in. She only uses organic lemon juice. Her doctor says the research on lemon juice is “inconclusive....” but admits it cannot hurt. I’ve read it works and drink lemon juice daily. One teaspoon per a glass of water ... just once.
Old 25 March 2019, 11:33 AM   #90
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
The patients I treated were as happy as a human can get when the stone hit the bladder. Euphoria is a great term for it. And few, if any, ever noticed discomfort as it traversed the final stretch between the bladder and the outside world.
Thanks for all you do.