The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 March 2014, 02:53 PM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Upgrading itch

I just wanted to solicit some opinions from their who have gone before me. I'm now at a point where I'm pretty happy with my collection, but have been pondering thinning the herd for a few higher end pieces. My five watches are basically ones in the $5000-$10,000 range although I bought all of them preowned. So lately I've been tempted by the Royal Oak Chronograph (39mm or 41mm), and the VC Overseas (I have a small wrist so I don't think I can pull off any watch more than 50mm lug to lug).

I like their look and another part of the interest is that they are less recognizable by the general public (especially compared to my Daytona). And I soon hope to be in short sleeves so my patients will all see what I am wearing. I know this is hotly debated in the forums, but I don't want my watch to be any type of distraction.

But I will definitely keep my black dialed Daytona. But the problem is that I really like my Navitimer 01 LE and my Speedmaster 9300. I could see upgrading my Portuguese to a higher end white-dialed APRO or VCO, but I like the IWC too. My Glashütte Original Senator Navigator isn't the highest end GO so I'm willing to sell that but it would only minimally offset the cost of an AP or VC. Alternatively, I could get a Zenith El Primero that I've been lusting after and I would certainly save a lot of money.

I guess some of the questions are is this a phase that I'll likely get over? A couple of years ago I was satisfied with quartz. Or is it something more like get the AP/VC because that's what I really seem to want? And flipping watches in the mean time will only delay the inevitable and cost more money in the end.

Thanks!

Steve
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 01:55 AM   #2
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

It never stops, my friend!
Old 3 March 2014, 02:25 AM   #3
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700
I think almost everyone has shared your thoughts.
I have tried to expand my collection according to what I like, what I find at a good price and what watch category it belongs to.
For instance, I have a moonwatch as a chronograph, just as you have the B, I have a zenith ultra thin as a dress and so on. So perhaps it would be a good to focus on what is that is missing from your collection.
Or I'm just chattering
Old 3 March 2014, 05:33 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you stay here its pretty natural to want to upgrade. I would go for the AP ROC, and pretty soon you will want the gold version, patients be damned!

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 06:19 AM   #5
salty_snack

I buy with the intent to keep... although that intention hasn't always held true.

Wanting and having are two different things and unfortunately, the former often leads to the later... which for many of us leads back to the former. Its fun to look, drool, dream but in the end if I'm not going to be happy with a watch for a decade or more I don't even consider buying it.

I must add the RO is an amazing watch but watch out for the service... it's always been an unpleasantly expensive experience.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:13 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you stay here its pretty natural to want to upgrade. I would go for the AP ROC, and pretty soon you will want the gold version, patients be damned!

That's an amazing piece! I just love the gold with the white dial. In fact, I think it is what I like about my Portuguese (gold hands and markers despite SS case) and don't like about the newer SS Portuguese Classic Chronograph (silver hands and markers).

And I don't think that any of my patients would notice a non-Rolex watch as anything other than a "nice watch." If they're a WIS, then they'll know and understand.

So thanks for the feedback. Not that it is making it any easier!
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:45 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
That's an amazing piece! I just love the gold with the white dial. In fact, I think it is what I like about my Portuguese (gold hands and markers despite SS case) and don't like about the newer SS Portuguese Classic Chronograph (silver hands and markers).

And I don't think that any of my patients would notice a non-Rolex watch as anything other than a "nice watch." If they're a WIS, then they'll know and understand.

So thanks for the feedback. Not that it is making it any easier!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 07:53 PM   #8
robisan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. Doggy View Post
it never stops, my friend!

+1
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote