The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2024, 12:24 PM   #1
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Icon6 Rolex X Hermès

although not news to us, glad other segments are taking notice:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-products.html
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 01:25 PM   #2
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Great article, thank you, sounds like Rolex practices, right? My Wife loved checking out the bags. Scoring Birkins at MSRP is extremely tough, My Hermès SA has been good to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIRKINS .jpg (127.9 KB, 674 views)
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 01:54 PM   #3
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
When you say "has been good to me," what does that mean?

Could you describe your roadmap and spend to getting a birkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
Great article, thank you, sounds like Rolex practices, right? My Wife loved checking out the bags. Scoring Birkins at MSRP is extremely tough, My Hermès SA has been good to me.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 05:31 PM   #4
peticks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
Hi, I just posted a thread about Hermes. Any chance you can refer your Hermes SA? Thanks!
peticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 07:58 PM   #5
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by peticks View Post
Hi, I just posted a thread about Hermes. Any chance you can refer your Hermes SA? Thanks!
Yeah pass on to me too. Need to get me some of those bad boys.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 08:35 PM   #6
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Yeah pass on to me too. Need to get me some of those bad boys.
Bad boys? Thot they'd be called "Bad Girls"

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 09:18 PM   #7
mini sub
"TRF" Member

Bundling lawsuit class action....

The outcome of this might have implications for certain Rolex dealers....

https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...es-2024-03-20/
mini sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 09:25 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Historically, a significant percentage of lawsuits in the United States are settled prior to a court trial. Around 90-95% of civil cases are resolved through settlement or alternative dispute resolution methods.

Settlements have no applicability to any other parties. So it's difficult to predict this suit affecting Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 09:25 PM   #9
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Good, hope Hermès loses and it is the beginning of the end for this crap.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 10:07 PM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I don’t think we need lawsuits, but I think their business will ultimately suffer as people move on. Even Rolex, doesn’t have that type of brand goodwill to constantly abuse/take for granted their customer base.

The Rolex buying experience has gotten exponentially worse. The salespeople at some of these shops act like high school kids getting back at their bullies in the only form of power they will likely ever have in their life, controlling Rolex Professional line allocation. Rolex is approaching the fatigue they had in late 5 digit time and pretty soon people will move on. For too long many have used Rolex like currency alternatives. That's a late market bubble right now. Rolex should've went upmarket instead of playing supply/demand games manufacturing artificial scarcity. Glad I have a Daytona and Submariner already because I won't be going back for any more.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 10:30 PM   #11
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Thank God the plight of luxury buyers as an oppressed class is finally being exposed
Old 21 March 2024, 10:53 PM   #12
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Thank God the plight of luxury buyers as an oppressed class is finally being exposed

You should not paint all Rolex buyers with the same brush…..

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 10:53 PM   #13
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

While I strongly disagree of the business practices of these luxury brands, I doubt the lawsuit will have any effect on them.
From the business perspective, It’s similar to “pay or spend more” for a faster and better “service”. Ie. skip the queue. Just like theme parks where you pay more for express queue. You get to the ride earlier than people who have queued longer than you. It’s an uphill battle to get anything positive out of it.
It’s better to boycott the brand than to file a lawsuit against them.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 10:56 PM   #14
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Americans: “We love capitalism! The free market is great! Businesses can serve whom they want when they want and charge what they want!”

Also Americans: “I have to buy 50 scarves to maybe get a Birkin?!? How dare you! I’m calling my lawyer!”

That said, price fixing/collusion, price tying, and other antitrust stuff that I’ve forgotten are illegal. Not sure if the Hermes suit has any legs but it’ll be interesting to follow.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 10:56 PM   #15
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Never imagined that a sexually transmitted disease would become such a highly sought-after fashion item.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 11:05 PM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
The… horror.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 11:06 PM   #17
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

The class consists of two people who will likely drop after getting a free bag.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 11:08 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
That’s funny.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 11:20 PM   #19
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 11:52 PM   #20
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I don’t think we need lawsuits, but I think their business will ultimately suffer as people move on. Even Rolex, doesn’t have that type of brand goodwill to constantly abuse/take for granted their customer base.

The Rolex buying experience has gotten exponentially worse. The salespeople at some of these shops act like high school kids getting back at their bullies in the only form of power they will likely ever have in their life, controlling Rolex Professional line allocation. Rolex is approaching the fatigue they had in late 5 digit time and pretty soon people will move on. For too long many have used Rolex like currency alternatives. That's a late market bubble right now. Rolex should've went upmarket instead of playing supply/demand games manufacturing artificial scarcity. Glad I have a Daytona and Submariner already because I won't be going back for any more.
I have moved on. After 50 years of brand loyalty I have become fatigued with the Rolex business model. Rather than just walk away, I am actively boycotting Rolex and telling friends and acquaintances that the brand has lost its way. The watches they manufacture aren’t worth the hassle to obtain them.

I’ll keep the watches I have, but my Rolex AD can pound sand if they expect me to drop another penny in their store.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 12:02 AM   #21
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Not my legal opinion (and not legal advice) but the suit will almost certainly fail.

I doubt they’ll even settle.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 01:18 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex and dealers have been VERY fair, at least WoS / Mayors. SO imho this is definitely not a Rolex thing.

On the other hand, wonder how this will affect Richemont brands such as A. Lange & Sohne, as we know they did force package deals on their clients.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 03:08 AM   #23
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I have moved on. After 50 years of brand loyalty I have become fatigued with the Rolex business model. Rather than just walk away, I am actively boycotting Rolex and telling friends and acquaintances that the brand has lost its way. The watches they manufacture aren’t worth the hassle to obtain them.

I’ll keep the watches I have, but my Rolex AD can pound sand if they expect me to drop another penny in their store.
Totally agree. Big hassles and watches also losing their classic lines and becoming too plump for my taste. Would much rather have a 5 digit for a still somewhat reasonable price with no wait.
Old 22 March 2024, 03:10 AM   #24
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Rolex and dealers have been VERY fair, at least WoS / Mayors. SO imho this is definitely not a Rolex thing.

On the other hand, wonder how this will affect Richemont brands such as A. Lange & Sohne, as we know they did force package deals on their clients.
Yeah right. Wonder what your spend is on jewelry and other watch brands for such “fair” treatment.
Old 22 March 2024, 05:05 AM   #25
mini sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
Totally agree. Big hassles and watches also losing their classic lines and becoming too plump for my taste. Would much rather have a 5 digit for a still somewhat reasonable price with no wait.
Absolutely with you on this. Fat colourful shiny watches have attracted likewise.
mini sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:29 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah right. Wonder what your spend is on jewelry and other watch brands for such “fair” treatment.
Not much, actually, though yes I love MANY brands. Get what we, wife and i, love. Should we not get other brands and goodies ??? Also have been a (relative) longtimer, plus sure they know am a true enthusiast. Nick loves the M.A.D.1 green and i wore it when seeing him recently, and there's the C1 Bel Canto (he wants the first-release blue dial). Am happy to lend 'em to him to wear if he wants. There's more, tho as you can see it's more 'personal' than just ____ .

If you're thinking cold-hearted 'by the numbers' for corporate, My wife and i are a 'sure thing' long, loooooong term. Smart companies do value long-term loyalty. We appreciate quality brands and service.

Look, fads come and go, where were many of you back in the 1990s? Am very grateful that horology (like vinyl LPs / turntables, and wait until you delve into reel-to-reel recordings and rare NOS vacuum tubes) are now 'hot', and hope increased production meeting modern demand can return to historic norms of supply/demand PROVIDED after-sales service remains appropriate for luxury goods.

Plus my wife is really wonderful and fun to be around, loves our visits to Mayors / WoS. You should see the way she lights up a room. Frankly, they prob look fwd to seeing her more than me.

BTW if you've never been to the Wynn Vegas WoS store, do it.

Relax, have a delicious tropical drink

wristscan_7242851.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 22 March 2024, 06:12 AM   #27
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

Quote:
Agree. I want watches to be part of my life, I don’t want my life to be about worrying how to purchase a watch. Some say go grey, those prices are all over the place too. Rolex should’ve just increased SS Professional model prices by 50% over 2016 thru 2019 to appropriately adjust to demand. They knew the demand was there long term to sustain those price levels. The reality is, they like selling a lot of Date Just models. They really don’t care about reselling, in fact they probably encourage it. They only really care about true grey market dealers that take watches across sales zones skipping dealer networks.

I think Omega and especially Grand Seiko are putting out some interesting alternatives in the luxury sports watch space. I think Rolex is stuck in this weird space where they’re tying to be AP Jr instead of Rolex. Imo being Rolex would be focusing on the SS Professional line where most buyers really want to purchase and then doing more innovative launches at the higher end and more frequently. Double Split Chrono, Minute Repeater, Perpetual Calendar options pushing boundaries. Instead it’s painfully obvious they care most about selling $25k to $40k watches almost exclusively. Which ultimately ends up with some pretty boring watches for the majority of buyers.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 06:23 AM   #28
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not much, actually, though yes I love MANY brands. Get what we, wife and i, love. Should we not get other brands and goodies ??? Also have been a (relative) longtimer, plus sure they know am a true enthusiast. Nick loves the M.A.D.1 green and i wore it when seeing him, and there's the C1 Bel Canto (he wants the first-release blue dial). Am happy to lend 'em to him to wear if he wants. There's more, tho as you can see it's more 'personal' than just ____ .

If you're thinking cold-hearted 'by the numbers' for corporate, My wife and i are a 'sure thing' long, loooooong term. Smart companies do value long-term loyalty. We appreciate quality brands and service.

Look, fads come and go, where were many of you back in the 1990s? Am very grateful that horology (like vinyl LPs / turntables, and wait until you delve into reel-to-reel recordings and rare NOS vacuum tubes) are now 'hot', and hope increased production meeting modern demand can return to historic norms of supply/demand PROVIDED after-sales service remains appropriate for luxury goods.

Plus my wife is really wonderful and fun to be around, loves our visits to Mayors / WoS. You should see the way she lights up a room. Frankly, they prob look fwd to seeing her more than me.

BTW if you've never been to the Wynn Vegas store, do it.
I think it’s kind of a divisive issue, the whole jumping the line thing, but it’s a different world. Early 2000 you could go into a store and buy things like Rolex. The AD was happy to sell to you and everything was fine.

Everything changed for various reasons. Personally if I was still buying watches, I may pay a premium or suck up to jump to the top of the list to get what I wanted but certainly not anymore. I think it’s kind of demeaning, but such is life. It also depends on your resources if you’d buy some lesser watch to get the one you want.

Now I see the whole purse/watch chasers-thing as fashion victims more than I see them as elite movers and shakers. You paid what????

Reminds me of the movie The Magic Christian…..what nasty hoops can you get people to jump through and humiliate themselves to get what they think they want/have to have.

But that’s just me. I also think it’s age related…..circle of life stuff. The world changes, and you also change, not necessarily in sync.
Old 22 March 2024, 06:37 AM   #29
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:

Agree, it’s toxic and I ain’t going to sell my soul to anyone.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:55 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think it’s kind of a divisive issue, the whole jumping the line thing, but it’s a different world. Early 2000 you could go into a store and buy things like Rolex. The AD was happy to sell to you and everything was fine.
Totally agree, and the 1990s Asian financial crisis made for easier availability. Remember when if one NYC / LA / Germany / etc store didn't have it, they ask for you to wait, enjoy some champagne / soda, as their runner is bringing it from another location in 15 minutes (usually took 20 to 30 minutes, but it arrived).

Quote:
Now I see the whole purse/watch chasers-thing as fashion victims more than I see them as elite movers and shakers. You paid what????
The way today's (broad) society consumes 'luxury goods and services' has increased at a mind-boggling rate in the past handful of years; this has been nothing short of breathtaking imho. Some sectors have 'done better' than others, though they've also become a liability in various ways too.

Years ago rode subways in various parts of the world wearing a Patek 3970er or the new 5035rg. Would still do, yet long sleeves and with far more attention to my surroundings, and even then...

Never saw that movie.

Quote:
The world changes, you also change, not necessarily in sync.
We live in interesting times.

(With a bit of emotional reminiscing) i do miss the 'old days', we all seemed to have more time. My relationship with ADs was more personal. David at H. Stern NYC (older location) always had a welcoming smile and time to chat about horology, family, and worldly places. Sure there were fewer of us, imho it felt more like we were... family.

Maybe I'm just an old romantic. I love passionate romance.