The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Have been very depressed lately

Good day everyone, I figured I might as well vent here, because I don't know how much longer I can take any of this lol
Well, have a bit of a delima. Let's say that you are currently in a full time job, that does not pay well at all, your young, and have four opportunities:

1. Quit that job, find another part-time job that pays better, and go back to college full time to finish up your degree, so you can later on get a MUCH better job down the road,

2. Don't quit that job, but go to part time at current job, and go back to college, or

3. Stay working full time at my current job, and go back to college at night. This will make getting a 2 year Bachelors degree almost a 3-4 year thing since it would be only a few classes at a time, or

4. Stay at the said current job unhappy and always miserable, making $4 an hour over minimum wage, with hardly no chance of a promotion.

I'm torn between these four decisions. Oh, and with these decisions, if I choose options number one or two I will definately
1. Loose my car (since I'm barely able to afford it now, there is no WAY I'd be able to keep up the payments on it with a part time job) that I still owe $48,000 on
2. Have to sell most of my watches
3. My credit score would probably go from the mid 800's to in the toilet as fast as you can say "repossession" (see reason 1).

I'm in a bad mood today only because the company I've been working for since I was 16 (going on 7 years this month) had a meeting with me today, and basically told me that I have no chance of getting the promotion I want (which up until 2 years ago a part time person could get) unless I ether go back to college and get my full 4 year degree, or I get promoted into a job that I don't want with just a *little* bit more an hour.
Sorry for such a long post, I've been trying to make up my mind on what I'm going to do. Everyone in my family always said to finish up college now while I'm young, but I also don't want to basically loose everything I have, and have my credit go down the crapper. But, I also understand that life is definitely NOT about material things at all, and about your family and friends.
Any help would be great, and I know that in the end, it will be up to me anyway, but a little help would do me good that this point.
(As a side note, I've just had this discussion with my parents, and they want me to stay at my current job but go back to part time, and go back to college full time).
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
AIKO
"TRF" Member

You are young. Material things should mean the least to you now. The number ONE priority in your life is your education. Even if you have to work 2-3 jobs. Whatever you have to do to keep money coming in and get your degree done as fast as you can-do it. Pick a field that you can earn a good living. Forget about the car and the watches. "Champagne taste on a beer budget" my friends butcher dad would tell him. You will have plenty of time for that stuff later.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Mrdi
Banned

1) gO BACK TO SCHOOL
2) Go back to school
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:11 PM   #4
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Okay, let me paraphrase this...you are 23 and you need a degree? Right?

You don't have to do any of the above. You can work full time and go to school full time...there are lots of options now with colleges like Univ of Phoenix that offer almost full time tracks at night. You can get a student loan if you need one.

It isn't cheap, it isn't easy, but you can do it if you want it bad enough. I spent my last year of undergrad working full time, living on my own and swinging it on $7 per hour. Then at 25 I went back to grad school full time, while working full time as an ER nurse.

I drove 3 hours each way to Hattiiesburg, MS and attended classes at USM for 2 years while working weekends full time in the ER and I didn't take one loan. I paid a car note and helped with household expenses. I was married when I went back to grad school, but my husband made less than I did, so I couldn't not work full time.

Just curious...what are you driving that has a 48K note????? Good lord! Sell whatever it is and get something remotely affordable. I financed less than that on a new Viper.

Not trying to sound harsh, but man you only need to be depressed if you want to be. If you want a better job and a better life....get up and go get it. There is NO reason in the whole world at your age that you can not have everything you want. I know, because my parents paid for $0 of my whole 7 years of college. I took $0 in loans and let me tell you. NO ONE EVER GAVE ME A BREAK.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Good luck!
keschete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
mustangbrad

Watch: 16613
I'm 27, and have been working two pt jobs for the past 6 years. I also go to school part time. But I make less than half of the poverty level. There is no moving up in the retail store I work at. I have been depressed for many years now. And believe me, I know how you feel. I feel stuck and like I'm doing nothing productive. All my good times were from the past, none at all lately, heck even the last 3 years we might as well add to that.
mustangbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:32 PM   #6
diversified
"TRF" Member

Mike, in my experience with my own company or the company I worked for other than my family business, which is a whole other story, usually when the owner of the company or the people that make things happen like a person, they will assist you in any way possible to get you ahead.
The first real estate company I worked for, the owner within 3 years, having no experience whatsoever, they paid for whatever schooling I needed, baby sat me thru all of the real estate and insurance deals I had, had me take care of most of the VIP clients, had me the political contact person of the company with city, federal and state politicians and had me running the insurance division of the company all within 3 years of starting.
I'm talking about a company of 35 people in which I was the youngest person there and the only person not of the religion of everybody in the company there. There were a lot of pissed off people in that company because of the way the owner handled me.
In my own company I have mentored a couple of young people I thought had the right stuff.
It doesn't sound to me that this company you are with is too excited about helping you and your earnings aren't going to rapidly increase. I would move on. Your young, it sounds like you have some higher education already and if your ambitious this will only be a stepping stone towards your future.
Being young is the best time to take chances.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Going to school is the best choice. Let's look at the facts School is long, hard, costly, and at times one feels as if it will never end. I know it took me 6 years to obtain my undergrad degree as I was working and going to school. At times I had to wait a semester to earn the money to go it is difficult at best.

This being said everything I have I can say is a direct result of my higher education. The goal is trick your mind don't look at school as four or three more years to go, rather look at it this way you this class( what every classes your are taking) to finish right now and fight it out one day at a time. When the class is over have mini rewards to treat yourself for all of your hard work. I used to study daily knowing at the end of the quarter/semester I would go play 21 or Craps all night to relax. Silly short term goals like this can really get you through the tough times which are always with the student life style.

In my occupation have seen many people not get hired, loose promotions, and earn far less money due to the fact he/she failed to obtain a degree. You will always know deep within your heart you should have earned a degree if you pass on this opportunity you now have. Going back to school is most often the best choice for most people.

Good luck to you.
Old 23 September 2009, 01:33 PM   #8
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
As a business owner hopefully i can give you some advice for encouragement.
Open your own business , I tell my secretaries clerks and support staff all the time to pursue avenues of opening your own business.

1) What is something passionate you feel
2) Draw up a plan on pen and paper
3) Banks are giving away stimulus money for SBO's ( small business owner's )

Trust me you react on something passionate you love it will come to fruitation, it took me 20 years to feel the rewards of the scrafices i made.

1) Lost 3 houses
2) Lost 4 cars
3) Filed bankruptcy twice in my life

But that never stopped me i kept going until i started to see positive results and trust me there were days when my wife walked out on me several times before my business begin to boom 8 years ago, I'm a bankruptcy attorney how ironic.

It's still kind of ruff but we all have this dark cloud over our heads right now.
Hang in there my friend , only the strong survive.........

P.S. Rolex could use some watch designers, since you love the forum that's something to think about .......think outside of the box.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Wow, lots of responses !
Thanks for the help everyone ! I think I'll think about this one long and hard. Maybe going back, and taking night courses part time isn't such a bad thing after all.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:48 PM   #10
ROLEX4FD

Watch: TT Blue Sub & SDDS
You're far too young to be miserable and stuck in a job you don't like with little to no chance of advancement. Sell the car; move back home if necessary, and go back to school. You're still young enough that your life is a blank canvass. Get your education now, before life responsibilities; wife, kids, etc., put you in a far less flexible position. You're in control - but the education is the key to opportunity.
ROLEX4FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 01:56 PM   #11
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Mike your young...you can buy all the material things you want along the road...If you have to work partime..then do it...keep your job...it might not be a lot of money like what you said..but you better of having a job rather than no job at all...Write down your goals...and stay focus on it...SAVE SAVE SAVE!!! that probably your main concern right now is money...If it takes you to study again then do it...but studying isnt that easy also..you must focus your self 100% and pass it..or else this will all go to waste...I feel your pain Mike...not everyone of us are born on a silver spoon..your young and still have a lot of life ahead of you...all of the above mention is worth considering...Write it down what you wanna do in life..prioritized whats important..if you have to sell you watches then do it..you gain it back one of this days...There people that are jobless and homeless...consider yourself lucky...just the way you mange it..this economy had bring the worst of everyone of us...trust me i feel what you feel mike...hope everything goes well...
Old 23 September 2009, 01:57 PM   #12
onkyo
Banned

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear all of this bringing you down.

Mike, you are a young guy. You should sacrifice now to make a better future. Go back to school, get a degree and then buy back everything you had to sell to get there.

Remember, your future is in your own hands...

All the best,
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 02:07 PM   #13
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Remember, your future is in your own hands...
Isnt this from a commercial pav??
Old 23 September 2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Like others have said, keep the job and take courses at night.
The way my designation was offered ( way back when), was you HAD to have a full time job in the field , AND take a full University load of courses at night.
It was a long haul, but worth it in the end.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 03:13 PM   #15
openwheelracing
"TRF" Member

finish school.

Keep just one or two watches. Sell the car and get something economical.

You'll thank me later.... :) or forget all about me cause you'll be too busy buying new watches.
openwheelracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 03:25 PM   #16
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Like others have said, keep the job and take courses at night.
The way my designation was offered ( way back when), was you HAD to have a full time job in the field , AND take a full University load of courses at night.
It was a long haul, but worth it in the end.
I agree 100% with Launch. Work and get your education. Get as much education as you possibly can.
Old 23 September 2009, 03:34 PM   #17
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Either #1 or #2. Try to get something in writing that if you leave for college and return with a degree, you'll still have a position at the original company.

Don't give your car back; sell your payments to someone else?
Old 23 September 2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/Sub/GMT/Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
You are young. Material things should mean the least to you now. The number ONE priority in your life is your education. Even if you have to work 2-3 jobs. Whatever you have to do to keep money coming in and get your degree done as fast as you can-do it. Pick a field that you can earn a good living. Forget about the car and the watches. "Champagne taste on a beer budget" my friends butcher dad would tell him. You will have plenty of time for that stuff later.
Aiko - nailed it!
Go back to school my friend! You'll be glad you did!
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 04:37 PM   #19
duffer47
"TRF" Member

#2 or #3 it will be hard work but will pay off. Don't give up!
Old 23 September 2009, 05:24 PM   #20
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
If you are going to go back to school make sure you get a masters ....so many have a B.A. these days I would get a masters to "stand out in the crowd" ....I only have a B.A.
and wish I had got an advanced degree but now Im retired and makes to diff.....
You must be doing good to have a 48k car so young.....I worked all my life and the most I ever spent on a car is the Toyota Highlander I have now...and a few Rolexs and Omega's
is all I have so dont feel to bad being so young.
I was lucky and retired at 48......hang in there and go back to school and forget the expensive watches for now ...and car.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Mike,

Seems to me that your parents are working with you on this.

Go happily with their advice - you will never regret it.

Eddie.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 07:52 PM   #22
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Good day everyone, I figured I might as well vent here, because I don't know how much longer I can take any of this lol

3. My credit score would probably go from the mid 800's to in the toilet as fast as you can say "repossession" (see reason 1).

Mike
Good luck with your decision and I'd check that FICO score. You're in the "mid 800s" you say? Are you guessing about that or have you checked? The max is 850. Hard to believe you're max'd out or close to it simply based on your age and years of credit history. Of course, income isn't a factor, but a $48,000 car loan certainly is, so I'd request your score from one of the rating agencies.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 08:14 PM   #23
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Complete your education, but not for a "job". Complete your education for the purpose of being educated. If it takes working your way through school, as I and many, many others have successfully done, then do it.

Once you are an educated man, what do you do with it? My advice: take a commission only position with a great, stable, successful company with a state-of-the-art training program. I will promise you this - if you refuse to quit, are honest and ethical, fulfill your promises, and work diligently (first one in, last one to leave, nights, weekends, holidays - whatever it takes), you will be able to afford any material item you want, regardless of price.

Just my 2 lincolns.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 08:17 PM   #24
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
1. Looks like the company you're with isn't too caring. Are they just picking out reasons to reject your promotion application?
2. Is it possible for the company to pay for your college tuition, in return you sign a contract with them?
3. Have you done your finance calculations - can you shake off the car payment, how much do you have to work part time in order to study full time? Remembering that you do have to study and using your study time to work will mean you may not achieve the top marks you can possibly get.
4. Can the folks help? It's difficult to ask but if they can, they will help.

My preference is to goto do a full time degree that your past years of work can be counted towards as experience later on. This way you won't be considered as fresh grad when you graduate. Good luck mate. Life is full of compromises.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 08:24 PM   #25
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Like everyone suggested get your degree. Personally for me the education didnt really help me and im running my own business , but still im armed with a bachelors degree in business and was good in college. I really wanted to enroll for MBA but due to financial reasons couldnt make it. Deepdown I always had a regret for missing out and hopefully when time permits i ll enrol.

Regards.
rajurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

Hi Mike,

Personally, I would suggest to get your degree like most have suggested while you are young. I regetted that I postponed my education to a later age when I can have achieved what I could have earlier in my life.

Good luck!!
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 09:25 PM   #27
scoobydoo

Watch: The "Hulk"
After spending many years in a field that I do not enjoy, I would definitely recommend that you go back to school but find a field that you are passionate about. Passion is the key. I have many friends that are passionate about their careers and it shows. They are very successful and well paid. Like many others have said, the material things will come later.
scoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 10:09 PM   #28
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
I won't bore you with my first few years of marriage, and the school vs. job thing (my wife's journey, not mine, but I was there with her). Believe me though, I can relate.

My 2 cents:

Sell the car and/or trade it down for something affordable.

Get rid of all the watches, and anything else material that is worth $$ (and not sentimental to you).

Don't do anything rash that will affect your credit rating, like letting your car get repo'd, if you still have anything of value (like a Rolex).

Go back to school!

When you get out of school, and get the job you want (and deserve), then you can purchase another Rolex (and another $50K+ car). Don't let material things (or want thereof) sway your decisions or affect your judgement.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 10:12 PM   #29
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
I won't bore you with my first few years of marriage, and the school vs. job thing (my wife's journey, not mine, but I was there with her). Believe me though, I can relate.

My 2 cents:

Sell the car and/or trade it down for something affordable.

Get rid of all the watches, and anything else material that is worth $$ (and not sentimental to you).

Don't do anything rash that will affect your credit rating, like letting your car get repo'd, if you still have anything of value (like a Rolex).

Go back to school!

When you get out of school, and get the job you want (and deserve), then you can purchase another Rolex (and another $50K+ car). Don't let material things (or want thereof) sway your decisions or affect your judgement.
I agree with you.

The first thing you have to do is sell that car! If you're making about 4 dollars more than minimum wage, why in the world would you buy a car that is over 2x's your annual income? Get rid of it. Call Clark Howard, he'll tell you the same thing. So will Dave Ramsey. That is killing you.\

Sell the watches. Go to school. No one can take the degree away from you.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 11:03 PM   #30
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
A few random thoughts.

Life is about being happy, not owning things.

Security is a good thing.

Live below your means.

A degree is only a license to keep learning.

Stay out of debt.

Good luck with your decision.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote