The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Which is better croc or alligator?

Are there any difference in the durability of these two types and which are normally more cheaper?
Old 30 March 2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
And you are going to used them for what???

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 30 March 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I've owned both styles for straps and they're comparable in quality. Price will probably depend on where you are. Gator is cheaper here since it's so abundant in the south.
Old 30 March 2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
And you are going to used them for what???
I am just enquiring as I know croc and alligator straps are expensive and better than the normal leather or lizard. I've had the original croc strap on my IWC and it has lasted since 2006. OK albeit I don't wear it daily but in total I must have worn it a year to 1 year and half. There is no wear and tear on the strap, leather not split or crumbling at the buckle. Very much impressed with it as in comaprison to normal leather or lizard straps I had in the past.
I just want to know if alligator strap would last just as long as croc and out of the two which one is more durable and cost more to replace?
Old 30 March 2013, 01:16 AM   #5
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Alligator is more durable and is also more holy valued. FYI your iwc strap is alligator. Most companies call alligator croc for what reason I have no idea. My guess is it sounds cooler and more wild. That being said any company worth it's weight will have alligator over croc any day.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
Old 30 March 2013, 01:22 AM   #6
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippon20 View Post
Alligator is more durable and is also more holy valued. FYI your iwc strap is alligator. That being said any company worth it's weight will have alligator over croc any day.
You have it backwards. Croc is more expensive than alligator. Porosus croc is tops. That said, there are some lesser quality skins of croc on the market, so it depends on the sourcing.

(And the reason companies call alligator "croc" is to mislead customers into thinking they're getting the more deluxe article.)
Old 30 March 2013, 02:04 AM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

croc is less abundant = $$$£££
Old 30 March 2013, 12:01 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
Which is better croc or alligator?

Are there any difference in the durability of these two types and which are normally more cheaper?
I have found Alligators will tolerate me wrestling with them more so than Crocs. The Alligator will take a pounding - more durable.
Crocs are prima donnas and just a bit more vicious. Like a wildcat vs. a nice Labrador Retriever...

As for straps, the good Crocs are more $$$ - but in either case, know your source because inferior skins are sold and passed off as first quality by counterfeiters.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 30 March 2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I'd stay away from croc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.7 KB, 850 views)
Old 30 March 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
watchf
"TRF" Member

I don't know about durability and cost of them as watch strap as I don't own any but in boots Crocodile are generally more expensive than alligator and lizard.
Old 30 March 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
tinger
"TRF" Member

Note for importing gator straps
I ordered gator strap from ABP a few weeks ago.. got hit with $120 US customs Wildlife fee.
Old 30 March 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Rodentman
Banned

Alligators are partial to croc straps.
Crocs prefer alligator.
Old 31 March 2013, 12:15 AM   #13
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
You have it backwards. Croc is more expensive than alligator. Porosus croc is tops. That said, there are some lesser quality skins of croc on the market, so it depends on the sourcing.

(And the reason companies call alligator "croc" is to mislead customers into thinking they're getting the more deluxe article.)
Actually you have it backwards, Alligator is the premier leather by far as it doesn't contain the pores in each scale as Croc does. What makes Porosus so expensive is that these pores are few if any. Unfortunately many people believe exactly what you have said, and this is why many call alligator croc. But what do I know, I'm only a leatherworker and have to purchase hides on a weekly basis. It does depend on sourcing, however a grade A alligator hide will ALWAYS be more expensive than a grade A Crocodile.

Old 31 March 2013, 12:25 AM   #14
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Uh...okay. In no finished leather goods that I know of--accessories or bags or footwear as examples--is this correct. I would like to know more about this assertion, so if you have any examples to link to of luxury items in alligator being more costly than the equivalent quality in croc, please share.
Old 31 March 2013, 12:30 AM   #15
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
Uh...okay. In no finished leather goods--accessories or bags or footwear as examples--that I know of is this correct. If you have any luxury items to link to that bear out your assertion, it would be of interest.
Perhaps you should research a little more. Here's a good article to start:

The Superiority of Alligator vs Crocodile Leather
By William Levin

Many products today are made from alligator or crocodile leather, from purses and shoes to custom leather dog collars. When trying to determine whether alligator or crocodile leather is more superior leather or more luxurious, there are many factors to consider before making a final determination.

Generally, alligator leather is viewed as the nicer and more luxurious leather, with more symmetrical scale patterns and a softer hide. Alligator has a smoother and more "three-dimensional" feel than crocodile skin, and alligator hides typically command the highest prices. It is one of the most highly sought raw materials by the manufacturers of luxury items.

Although extremely rare, a very few number of crocodile skins can compare with the quality of alligator hide. These would include "Nile crocodile" and Australian saltwater crocodile. When processed and tanned correctly, these very rare and expensive crocodile skins can meet or exceed the luxuriant nature of alligator skin.

Species of Reptiles

There really is only one species of alligator, known as the American Alligator. In contrast, there are over a dozen species of crocodiles from all over the world. The most common is the Brown Caiman, which is found in Central and South America. Generally, caiman skin is drier and stiffer than alligator skin, and significantly less durable. Unfortunately, many items made from caiman skins are deceptively labeled as alligator products.

Most species of crocodile are endangered and therefore illegal to hunt and harvest for commercial use, or at the very least their use is restricted by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).

When examined closely, crocodile or caiman skin will have small pits in the scales. These pits do not exist at all in genuine alligator products.

A Comparison of the Leathers

At first glance, it can be very difficult to tell crocodile from alligator leather. They are similar in a number of ways, and both will provide many years of useful service. However, the value and quality of the leather can vary greatly depending upon the tanning process used and the body section of the donor animal from which the leather is taken. The most important considerations tend to be softness, scale pattern, and finish.

For the most part, alligator skin is of a far greater quality, with more symmetrical scale patterns, softer skin, and a smoother feel than crocodile skin.

Most mislabeling occurs with the Brown Caiman, whose skins tend to be thinner, dryer, stiffer, and less durable due to less sophisticated tanning processes. For most products, the skin from the belly and throat areas is used because it provides the most symmetrical scale patterns, which are rectangular in shape. Skin taken from the sides of an animal will have scale patterns that are more rounded in shape, and the hide can still be of a high quality. The least desirable part of the animal is the tail, which comprises approximately 50% of the animal's length. Skin from this area is stiffer with scales more widely spaced, and it is usually heavily scarred.

Size Matters

The size of a skin can help distinguish genuine alligator from a caiman or croc. Alligator skins are generally six to 12 feet long, while caiman and most croc skins are only three to five feet long. With smaller donor animals, the transition of scale patterns is evident even in small items such as a wallet or purse.

Scale patterns tend to correlate to the size of the animal. Therefore, hide from a full grown alligator may have scales that are over one inch square and tend to be more symmetrical.

Alligators Retain Superiority

In general, alligator skins are going to be softer, more supple, more durable, and provide a more uniform scale pattern than crocodile or caiman skins. Additionally, alligator is not an endangered or threatened species, so products manufactured from genuine American alligator are maintaining an environmentally friendly status as well.

Old 31 March 2013, 12:42 AM   #16
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Or perhaps this will help you:

Most consumers cannot tell the difference between crocodile leather, alligator leather, and caiman leather when it comes to purchasing high-end luxury items. This is a daunting task for the untrained eye – if you want to distinguish between the three, you should first understand the difference in market value:
Alligator and Crocodile have significantly higher market value than caiman skin with Alligator commanding the highest prices. This is due to their strength and availability, you will find that alligator and crocodile are true luxury goods while Caiman leather, even though its a genuine leather and similar in appearance (thus its appeal in lower budget markets), it has significantly lower value and significantly lower durability.
It is very important to distinguish between these when purchasing high-end consumer goods like handbags, purses, wallets, belts, etc. to avoid purchasing an inferior product at a premium cost. Sometimes dishonest salesman and exporters will claim that their products are genuine Crocodile leather, only to find out later that what they have actually purchased is a much cheaper Caiman skin product.
The biggest difference between Caiman and Alligator or Crocodile leather is that the Caiman leather is not near as durable. A Caiman fuscus crocodile have small bony plates – if you bend the leather across these plates you will see that the leather creases between the scales. While the skin is still pliable and very strong, these thick scales are the telltale signs that you have Caiman leather. A proper Alligator or Crocodile hide will not have these bony scales. A saltwater crocodile (such as the Nile Crocodile) and the American Alligator skins will have smoother, seamless bend without any spaces between the scales.
Note also that between Crocodile and Alligator that a genuine Alligator hide likely comes from the Southern United States and will feature an umbilical scar that is unique to the species.
Keep in mind that Caiman crocodile is still luxurious, durable, and gives the appearance of it’s larger Crocodilian cousins. They tend to be smaller and more common, which is translated in their lower prices. Be warned that many wholesalers, exporters, and salesmen often try to pass Caiman fuscus crocodile as genuine Alligator or Crocodile leather, so if you’re looking for Saltwater Crocodile, be sure to know the species of Crocodile is not caiman if you’re really looking for the the larger crocodile.

Old 31 March 2013, 12:51 AM   #17
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but here is one more. Everyone please educate yourselves before spending more money because of what other's say. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Lizard skin has stunning small scales with wonderful shades. It meets the standard of Hermes and was introduced for creating luxuriant Hermes lizard Bags. Most species of crocodile are endangered and as a result unlawful to hunt and harvest for industrial use, or at the quite least their use is restricted by the Convention on Worldwide Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).

When examined carefully, crocodile or caiman pores and skin will have small pits in the scales. These pits do not exist at all in genuine alligator items.

A Comparison of the Leathers

At very first glance, it can be extremely hard to inform crocodile from alligator leather. They are related in a quantity of methods, and each will offer numerous years of useful support. Nonetheless, the value and quality of the leather can differ significantly based upon the tanning method used and the human body part of the donor animal from which the leather is taken. The most essential considerations are inclined to be softness, scale pattern, and end.

For the most part, alligator skin is of a significantly higher high quality, with more symmetrical scale patterns, softer pores and skin, and a smoother sense than crocodile skin.

Most mislabeling happens with the Brown Caiman, whose skins are likely to be thinner, dryer, stiffer, and significantly less durable due to significantly less innovative tanning processes. For most goods, the skin from the stomach and throat places is utilised since it supplies the most symmetrical scale designs, which are rectangular in form. Skin taken from the sides of an animal will have scale patterns that are much more rounded in form, and the conceal can still be of a higher quality. The the very least desirable portion of the animal is the tail, which includes approximately 50% of the animals length. Pores and skin from this location is stiffer with scales a lot more extensively spaced, and it is typically seriously scarred.

Dimension Matters

The measurement of a pores and skin can help distinguish real alligator from a caiman or croc. Alligator skins are typically 6 to 12 ft extended, while caiman and most croc skins are only a few to 5 ft prolonged. With more compact donor animals, the transition of scale designs is evident even in modest items these kinds of as a wallet or purse.

Scale designs have a tendency to correlate to the size of the animal. As a result, hide from a complete developed alligator might have scales that are above 1 inch square and are likely to be a lot more symmetrical.

Alligators Keep Superiority

In basic, alligator skins are heading to be softer, far more supple, much more tough, and provide a much more uniform scale pattern than crocodile or caiman skins.
Additionally, alligator is not an endangered or threatened species, so goods produced from authentic American alligator are maintaining an environmentally friendly standing as properly.

Old 31 March 2013, 12:59 AM   #18
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry, I remembered you wanted some examples:

Aligator Shoes: http://www.alligatorworld.com/fennix_3432/pv/2679/

Same shoes in Crocodile: http://www.alligatorworld.com/mezlan_13724/pv/2741/

Old 31 March 2013, 01:01 AM   #19
MonBK
Banned

So Dan tell me, which is more expensive?
Old 31 March 2013, 01:08 AM   #20
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Are you going to pimp your scooter seat?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 31 March 2013, 01:14 AM   #21
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippon20 View Post
Alligator and Crocodile have significantly higher market value than caiman skin with Alligator commanding the highest prices.
Why talk about caiman or lesser grade croc? The comparison that matters in the luxury market is between saltwater croc and other things, and porosus is going to cost more in a fine leather good...right? Mezlan, e.g., is made in Mexico of middle-quality leather.
Old 31 March 2013, 01:16 AM   #22
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Are you going to pimp your scooter seat?
I'm going to need a lot of gators.
Old 31 March 2013, 01:52 AM   #23
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Good Question. Both will be almost the same. Why?

Alligator because it is much more durable and higher quality of leather.

Crocodile because it is endangered and must have a natural death for the hide to be processed. There is no such thing as a Crocodile farm.

So that being said, the original debate has been which is a better leather and to that I answer Alligator. There is a much more controlled environment to produce high quality hides and the animals are farmed at younger ages providing a much tighter consistent plate pattern. You get what you get with Crocodiles.

Chicfarmer, the price of finished leather goods has a variety of factors that it depends on (i.e. quality of leather, time it takes to manufacture, how easy is it to work with, etc.). Price does not dictate the quality of leather alone. In fairness to your point, if I were to compare two identically priced finished leather products with one being of alligator and one of crocodile. I would guarantee the alligator to be a more durable and more pliable product over the product's lifespan.

The comparison with Cayman came into play not because of me, I simply copy and pasted articles relevant to the theme. Perhaps the author found it necessary to add Cayman in because many leather professionals attempt to pass Cayman off as Croc because it does share many similar (to the untrained eye) traits.

Old 21 September 2017, 01:19 AM   #24
Truthstar
"TRF" Member

Nile vs gator

About to purchase boots and need advice. Great thread btw.
Sounds like Gator is better leather, but a reputable boot company is selling Nile Croc for 2600 vs a Giant Gator(wild caught) for 1600. Can the Nile be gotten for such a higher cost than gator?
Old 21 September 2017, 01:39 AM   #25
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
ippon20
Thank you for your information. I'm a boot fan.

What items, that you make, are most popular? For men and women?
DM
Old 21 September 2017, 03:12 AM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Four year old thread.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:22 AM   #27
Truthstar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Four year old thread.
Never underestimate the importance of gradeschool math.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:25 AM   #28
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthstar View Post
Never underestimate the importance of gradeschool math.
Policy is to start a new thread, not revive ancient threads. Keeps people from answering long dead posts.
Closed Thread