The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Randy Marsh
Banned

what can you tell me about the Explorer I ??

I'm shifting from the LV idea and thinking about getting an Explorer I.
I really like the simple and clean look of the watch and I would make that my daily beater instead of the chunky SD,wich,I'm ashamed to say,is spending too much time in the safe instead of on my wrist.

Tough watch this one ??? Water resistance is ....mt ?? Laser crown at 6 in there ??
Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 11:50 PM   #2
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I can tell you that it is simply a great understated Rolex. Tough as nails, comfortable and practical. I've worn mine almost everywhere. I am in Asia for the next few weeks on business and brought along my GMT II (for the timezone benefits), but also my Explorer 1. Here's a view of my Explorer 1 from my hotel room in the Nihonbashi area of Tokyo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (46.6 KB, 266 views)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post
I'm shifting from the LV idea and thinking about getting an Explorer I.
I really like the simple and clean look of the watch and I would make that my daily beater instead of the chunky SD,wich,I'm ashamed to say,is spending too much time in the safe instead of on my wrist.

Tough watch this one ??? Water resistance is ....mt ?? Laser crown at 6 in there ??
Tough? I'd say yes... I've been wearing mine for 7 years now and its been faultless. I'm pretty active and it goes and does everything I do.

The Explorer has the twin-lock crown so its rated to 100m. I've swam, snorkled and even done a scuba or two without incident. I don't even think or worry about any kind of water exposure with the Explorer.

LEC, yes. Mine's a D serial and it's there.

I love my Explorer...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Very nice, simple, ellegant, beautiful watch, that's my opinion.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 02:05 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well the first Explorer type watch was the 6350 models big bubbleback with the A296 auto movement from early 1950s.Now Rolex had watches like this with the mixed Roman and Arabic dial in the 1940's.But expeditions like the Everest one that made the Explorer more popular.Later the 6150 came a long slightly bigger by 2mm and lasted until late 1959.After it was replaced by the 6610 with the new Cal 1030 auto movement,but there were variations like the Airking Explorer 5500,and what they call the dress Explorers.And there were gold or SS dial signed Explorer but mainly for Canadian market and UK.Now around 1963 the Explorer changed again with one of the finest IMO movements Rolex has ever made the cal 1560.And model was renamed the 1016 now this is Rolex longest production model.It ran from 1963 to 1989 the later models had the cal 1570 movement.Now this Cal 1570 was just a 1560 that now hacks stops second hand when you pull crown out.Now something very strange happened late 1989 the Explorer disappeared from the Rolex catalogues.But 6 months later it was back but now called the 14270,with a new case movement dial and Sapphire crystal.But the only thing it carried on from the 1016 was the hands and name.Now fitted with the new fast beat cal 3000,and the new up to date version with the cal 114270 continues.

Current Rolex movements Calibre 3155 DAY-DATE ONLY,Calibre 3135 O/P Date, Datejust, Submariner, Sea-Dweller, Yacht-Master.Calibre 3130 Air-King, Submariner non date, Explorer COSC tested but same movement.Calibre 3185 Explorer II, GMT II.Calibre 3186 but in reality only a slightly modded 3185 in the new model GMT,Calibre 4030 the Zenith El-Primo modded Daytona.Calibre 4130 in-house movement Daytona, Calibre 4160 Yacht Master II .Ladies OP NON DATE Calibre 2130 /OP Date Calibre 2235, Datejust, Yacht-Master (Lady/Midsize).Now as you can see Rolex uses just 7 Calibre movements for there entire mens Oyster range now,plus two for the lady oyster non sports range.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 02:46 AM   #6
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Question.

Are these still available? I don't see this model on the current Rolex website...

I have a 1016 homage from MkII Watch Company. It's my "Explorer I"... 39mm. :)

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 02:54 AM   #7
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
A classic Rolex and one that will serve you well. Subtle elegance and durability.
Old 8 September 2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think the classic Explorer dial is one of the best looking and most recognisable dials ever produced.

The movement inside is the same as the Air-King and the ND Sub... bullet proof, dependable, and accurate..

The size is the same as the very popular DateJust, so it is respectable in any environment...dress, casual, cuff, suit, etc...

Old 8 September 2008, 05:11 AM   #9
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
A True Rolex Classic

I have always been very fond of my Explorer, an S series from the mid 90's. Very functional, always reliable and stunning in its outward simplicity, this watch led me to many other Rolexes. Yet, in its own way, it will be forever stylish and a true Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000488.JPG (33.6 KB, 207 views)
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 05:13 AM   #10
acce1999
"TRF" Member

The current Explorer 114270 has the same case as the previous Datejusts (16xxx), with exactly the same specifications when it comes to size and water proofness (100 meters). The only difference is the caliber (3130 - no date), and obviously a flat crystal.

The same goes for the previous one (14270) which differs only when it comes to caliber (3000) and bracelet (the new has solid end links).

What is interesting is the one before that; the 1016 (as well as the Explorer II - 1655). The Explorers of the 60s and 70s was water proof to 100 meters whilst the Datejusts and GMT's at the same time only was proof to 50 meters, so there was at one time an added value to the "Explorer" line. The 1016 could also be delivered with special oils, whithstanding extreme colds.

But, since it is so easy to deliver that today there is no real difference in ability to take abuse between a DJ and an Explorer. They all can take a lot.

When it comes to "toughness" I did some math on the case - what it can take. The Explorer/DJ has the same crystal as the Submariner (16610 or 14060) - 2 mm. It can take a pressure of 400 meters without problems. The triplock can take a pressure of 5000 meters - so it is plausible that a twin lock can take at least 400 meters. The caseback of an Explorer/DJ is some 0.8 mm thick - and given that I did my math correctly it will also take several hundred meters of pressure.

So, regardless of whether you have a Sub, or Explorer, or DJ - it will be able to go where ever you go... you can pick one according to taste - and the Explorer is a very good pick.

Some pictures:

1. An old ad from Rolex on water proofness (plastic crystals - but you get the idea).

2. My 14270, that I've used daily during a period of ten years - doing everything from management meetings to having children to travelling the world to renovating old houses. It is my all time favourite (although not the only one...):

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Randy Marsh
Banned

wow..thanks guys...could not ask for more infos!!
Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Roselló
"TRF" Member

Watch: * { SD & DJ } *
I love the simple and clean look of the Explorer. 38mm will be GREAT.

Roselló is offline   Reply With Quote