The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 November 2018, 10:12 AM   #1
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu

Got the watch few days ago and still in honeymoon period. Was lucky with a relatively short waiting time of 6 months at the boutique. Pictures attached.

On a side note, I noticed that there is a slight scratch on the movement. It appears worse in picture becuase of magnification. In real life, you can pick it up on centain angles with naked eye. I was kinda disappointed to see this at this level but I have seen dust particles in Patek and AP watches so I kind of got over it. Will it bother you that you will ask for a replacement watch or will you be fine with polishing off the scratch? I, for one, think that this can be polished/taken care of during the first service. No need to send a new watch for it to be taken care off right now. Do you guys agree?

AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:33 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

Very nice, congratulations!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Are you really that nonchalant/unfazed about having spent ~$20K only to receive something with a defect, irrespective of whether it’s purely cosmetic or detrimental to the finctioning of the product?
Would you happily accept a new car with a kerbed alloy or stonechipped bumper or would you be livid at being handed something less than absolutely pristine?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The scratch is just not good enough. The watch needs to go back and you need to get the very next one.

I appreciate your being relaxed about this, I'm not sure I would.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:17 PM   #5
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

The fact that I could see it without a macro lense would bother me for as long as I had the watch. I’m not saying I would be livid, but I would at the very least mention it and see what could be done.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:34 PM   #6
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I have emailed the boutique manager if I can send the watch back and take the next CB when it is delivered to him. The watch is unworn and in the same condition as was received by me. The scratch was noticed just before the thanksgiving break and I emailed him asking if the scratch would be polished during service and he said yes. Perhaps I should have asked for a replacement at that time.

Anyways, will post here once I hear back from him by tomorrow.
Old 30 November 2018, 12:38 PM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
New one. Too much moolah to accept less than perfect.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:12 PM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I concur.

I did not read the second paragraph when I entered my first comment.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:17 PM   #9
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Which boutique did you end up getting the watch from?
Old 30 November 2018, 02:51 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
New or reasonable repair time (less than a month).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:06 PM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Congrats on the chrono bleu... if you get a new one or wait for service, hard to say which will be faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
New or reasonable repair time (less than a month).
I don’t believe such a quick turnaround is likely ... many of the service requests likely come in with that request...

At least that is what I have asked for and am currently awaiting.
Old 30 November 2018, 07:36 PM   #12
gengar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Which boutique did you end up getting the watch from?
I'm guessing LA at 6 months, but OP please let us know.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:31 PM   #13
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Absolutely not acceptable - they make less than a 1000 watches a year and still have issues?

Here’s my personal experience with lange- accept no less.

https://www.watchprosite.com/a.-lang...741.9000986/0/
Old 1 December 2018, 02:40 AM   #14
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

So, I asked the Boutique Manager whether I can get a replacement watch and he indirectly declined. He said the watch will have to go back to the manufacturer for this issue to be resolverd. Considering this is a brand new watch that hasn’t been worn by me, I don’t want to send it in right now. Based on my experience with JLC and other brands, watches come back from service with more scratches if the service doesn’t involve any polishing.

I will wait for the regular overhaul to be done at the 5 year period and ask for this to be polished off during that service intervention. The watch has been with me for the past 3-4 weeks and although I didn’t wear it even once as I was travellling, I think it may be a little late to ask for a replacement watch.

Unlike others in the thread, I am not mad or overly disappointed. The scratch is only visible at certain viewing angles and very minute in nature. However, I do feel that it should not have happened with a brand like Journe and at this price level.
Old 1 December 2018, 03:03 AM   #15
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congratulations on a stunning watch! Sorry to hear about the scratch, that’s really unfortunate on a brand new piece
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:06 AM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on the CB! Agree w
Your sentiment, don’t let the minor imperfection bother you. Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:14 AM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
So, I asked the Boutique Manager whether I can get a replacement watch and he indirectly declined. He said the watch will have to go back to the manufacturer for this issue to be resolverd.

I would like to think the US’ consumer laws are as robust as the UK’s are.
If you’re not au fait with them, clue yourself up quickly or take advice on exactly where you stand.
Similarly, if you pai by CC, see where you are with them on rejecting this item.
Whilst doing that, contact another Boutique and get the manger’s view, and if need be, be prepared to go through them to receive proper resolution.
If you’re on social media, use it to your advantage by kicking up a fuss, but if not, then contact Switzerland directly to express your annoyance at being fobbed off with lame, self–serving excuses!
Old 1 December 2018, 05:15 AM   #18
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

First of all, congrats on the watch! I got mine 4 months ago.

I would definitely not accept a scratch like that, especially at that price point.
Usually, they will not swap a watch out, but send it in for service, which unfortunately takes several weeks in most cases.

Yes, it's difficult to part with a watch that you just received for that amount of time,
but you might as well get it done while its under warranty so you can enjoy your watch without having to worry about any defects.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:21 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
... don’t let the minor imperfection bother you. Enjoy it
And there’s everything wrong with high net wealth consumers — more money than they have common sense.
And I’ll bet you’d be the first to send your steak back if it’s not done to your satisfaction. So you’d be prepared to quibble over a $50 piece of cooked meat, but shrug your shoulders at a $20K luxury item?
Old 1 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #20
Greenp
"TRF" Member

How can they polish/re Geneva stripe the plate? I think they would have to replace it.
Greenp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 06:05 AM   #21
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Not happening to me

I do not like minor flaws in my $200 Seikos. Would not accept a scratch on my $20K Journe. I am on waiting list in nyc.
Old 1 December 2018, 06:18 AM   #22
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quite a number of strong replies on the topic especially by PJ S. I really do appreciate all the input.

I think everyone will understand that different brands have different ways of handling these issues, some will either replace a watch outright and others will send the watch for repair. It seems Journe has chosen the second option. There is that extreme route suggested by PJ S and although I don't necessarily agree with his suggestion, there is no guarantee with Journe will replace this with a brand new watch even if I follow PJ S advice to the T.

When I first spoke with the Boutique Manager on email before the thanksgiving break about this issue, he said that this will be taken care of without any charge at the 5-year service interval and I will have to keep a copy of his email as reference. So, I have two options, either send in a new watch right now and get the watch back with some scratches on case (based on my experience with JLC) or wait for the 5-year service interval to have this resolved. I feel the second option is better.

To PJ S point, I am not someone who has extra $ lying around to spend on $20K watches without caring what I receive in return. This is hard earned money and I do care about the service and the quality of the end product. Infact, this CB is part of high end collection that I intend to pass on to my children. I am a little disappointed in Journe and will think twice in the future about making another purchase from them.
Old 1 December 2018, 06:43 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
And there’s everything wrong with high net wealth consumers — more money than they have common sense.

And I’ll bet you’d be the first to send your steak back if it’s not done to your satisfaction. So you’d be prepared to quibble over a $50 piece of cooked meat, but shrug your shoulders at a $20K luxury item?

Dude, chill out. No I’m not that person and you don’t know me. Not everyone is a perfectionist and the OP has had the watch for a month now and doesn’t want to send it bac ... just giving him some support for his decision since it’s decided. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 06:49 AM   #24
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would like to think the US’ consumer laws are as robust as the UK’s are.
If you’re not au fait with them, clue yourself up quickly or take advice on exactly where you stand.
Similarly, if you pai by CC, see where you are with them on rejecting this item.
Whilst doing that, contact another Boutique and get the manger’s view, and if need be, be prepared to go through them to receive proper resolution.
If you’re on social media, use it to your advantage by kicking up a fuss, but if not, then contact Switzerland directly to express your annoyance at being fobbed off with lame, self–serving excuses!

I don’t think UK law would mandate a replacement. I believe the seller has a reasonable opportunity to provide a repair, but there is no right to a refund or replacement which I’m aware of aside from under the distance selling regulations.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Enjoy a great watch, OP!

Almost anyone to whom I showed the movement had their eyes glaze over. The front of the Bleu is stunning!
Old 1 December 2018, 10:01 AM   #26
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Dude, chill out. No I’m not that person and you don’t know me. Not everyone is a perfectionist and the OP has had the watch for a month now and doesn’t want to send it bac ... just giving him some support for his decision since it’s decided.
Apologies for using you to make a general point in highlighting the idosyncracies which people will/won’t put up with.
I thought the matter was still up for debate rather than settled, hence suggesting acceptance of a defect at (even well below) this price point should never be an option.
Old 1 December 2018, 10:35 AM   #27
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I don’t think UK law would mandate a replacement. I believe the seller has a reasonable opportunity to provide a repair, but there is no right to a refund or replacement which I’m aware of aside from under the distance selling regulations.
You may want to familiarise yourself with the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced The Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA) in October 2015.
Goods can be rejected outright for a full refund up to 30 days from purchase or received once delivered — after that, it becomes repair or replacement.
An element of pragmatism enters the situation if it falls outside that timeframe or for small items like kettle/toaster/etc, whereby it’s more convenient to replace instead of repair.
When it comes to high value purchases, a demonstration of proper customer service (as opposed to paying lip service to it) is to do their utmost to ensure the customer feels valued and resolves the issue to their satisfaction.

As consumers, we should be well aware of our rights, and be prepared to enact them, rather than accept what we’re offered.
Old 1 December 2018, 11:22 AM   #28
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Quite a number of strong replies on the topic especially by PJ S. I really do appreciate all the input.

I think everyone will understand that different brands have different ways of handling these issues, some will either replace a watch outright and others will send the watch for repair. It seems Journe has chosen the second option. There is that extreme route suggested by PJ S and although I don't necessarily agree with his suggestion, there is no guarantee with Journe will replace this with a brand new watch even if I follow PJ S advice to the T.
At the risk of teaching grandma how to suck eggs, manufacturers’ policies don’t trump consumer law.
Find out, pronto, what you're entitled to at this stage, and demand them.
I certainly wouldn’t rely on having to dredge up a 5 year old emai (which puts the onus on you ensuring that data is well backed up) to make sure you obtain what has been agreed to.
What happens if you needed to liquidate your collection (divorce, medical bills, etc) – will you be happy to take a greater hit on the value because you kicked the issue down the road?

I’m not having a go at you – far from it – just getting you to think about how much you’ve spent and what this purchase means to you.
I know that I couldn’t sit back and accept second best, which is why I urge you to not do so either.

Quote:
When I first spoke with the Boutique Manager on email before the thanksgiving break about this issue, he said that this will be taken care of without any charge at the 5-year service interval and I will have to keep a copy of his email as reference. So, I have two options, either send in a new watch right now and get the watch back with some scratches on case (based on my experience with JLC) or wait for the 5-year service interval to have this resolved. I feel the second option is better.
You can’t extrapolate your JLC experiences across to other brands — that’d be akin to saying due to your poor experiences at a BMW dealership you expect the Porsche dealership’s mechanics to be just the same!
Frankly speaking, that particular FPJ Boutique manager is better suited to supervising at a local sloppy joe diner, where expectations are lower than his customer service accumen.

Quote:
To PJ S point, I am not someone who has extra $ lying around to spend on $20K watches without caring what I receive in return. This is hard earned money and I do care about the service and the quality of the end product. In fact, this CB is part of high end collection that I intend to pass on to my children. I am a little disappointed in Journe and will think twice in the future about making another purchase from them.
That’s an overreaction, but your “once bitten twice shy” mentality is understandable.
The fact that this purchase wasn’t paid for with pocket change is all the more reason for you to get clued up rapidly on your state and/or national consumer laws. If too late to fully benwfit you in this instance, at least it’ll help when it comes to future purchases, irrespective of the amount being spent.
The bottom line is that the defect was there from the day and hour it left Geneve, rather than arguable that it could’ve happened once in your possession.

With under 1K pieces produced annually, QC at the manufacture should’ve caught this, let alone upon receipt by the boutique.
At 3 watches per day, there really is no excuse for such sloppiness, especially since only one person is involved in its assembly from start to finish.
Old 1 December 2018, 01:36 PM   #29
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You may want to familiarise yourself with the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced The Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA) in October 2015.

Goods can be rejected outright for a full refund up to 30 days from purchase or received once delivered — after that, it becomes repair or replacement.

An element of pragmatism enters the situation if it falls outside that timeframe or for small items like kettle/toaster/etc, whereby it’s more convenient to replace instead of repair.

When it comes to high value purchases, a demonstration of proper customer service (as opposed to paying lip service to it) is to do their utmost to ensure the customer feels valued and resolves the issue to their satisfaction.

As consumers, we should be well aware of our rights, and be prepared to enact them, rather than accept what we’re offered.

The 30 day rule is correct only for faulty items. My point was more about whether this cosmetic imperfection would categorise as ‘faulty’ - Clearly there are some cosmetic imperfections which would satisfy the definition of faulty and some which don’t.

I could see an argument for it meeting the definition of being damaged as the cosmetic blemish is not there by intention and the internal part in question is intentionally on display through the case back. Ultimately though, this would need to be accepted by a higher authority to urge a non-budging retailer to do something.

It does of course therefore raise an interesting question around what level of imperfection is or isn’t acceptable. This is probably governed to some degree by a manufacturers’ specifications, reasonable consumer expectations and industry norms.

That said, one should expect to receive an impeccably high standard of customer services for an item like this regardless.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote