The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 April 2023, 07:08 AM   #1
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
South America fun travel watch

I recently visited Central America and was reluctant to wear my new GMT (unfortunate as I would traditionally have worn my vintage 14060m on a nato). I am glad I left the watch behind as we had a neighbour broken into and was informed the police aren’t exactly responsive + open to bribery… I just generally think this watch would have been a bit out of place for surroundings.

Any favourites in the more discrete watch category in higher risk geographies? Would appreciate a mix of recommendations along with the usual “wear your watch” shouting
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:09 AM   #2
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm765 View Post
I recently visited Central America and was reluctant to wear my new GMT (unfortunate as I would traditionally have worn my vintage 14060m on a nato. I am glad I left the watch behind as we had a neighbour broken into and was informed the police aren’t exactly responsive + open to bribery… I just generally think this watch would have been a bit out of place for surroundings.

Any favourites in the more discrete watch category in higher risk geographies? Would appreciate a mix of recommendations along with the usual “wear your watch” shouting
G Shock !
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:17 AM   #3
cotignola
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm765 View Post
I recently visited Central America and was reluctant to wear my new GMT (unfortunate as I would traditionally have worn my vintage 14060m on a nato). I am glad I left the watch behind as we had a neighbour broken into and was informed the police aren’t exactly responsive + open to bribery… I just generally think this watch would have been a bit out of place for surroundings.

“Cdm765” already gave you the BEST answer you are going to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omega Speed Master Professional Cal 1861 Ref 3570.50 | Seiko SARB033 | G-Shock GW-M5610-1BCR | Apple Watch Series 8 | Rolex Explorer I Ref 124270
cotignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:43 AM   #4
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Last year my friend walked into a Rolex shop in Buenos Aires. The Rolex rep was horrified that he was openly wearing his Rolex. Gave him a plain bag and insisted he take it off and hide it.

Now that's how you sell a product. 'Buy this watch but don't let anyone see it, and whatever you do, don't wear it'.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:49 AM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

G-Shock or, if you want something a little nicer and analog, something like a Seiko Alpinist??

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 08:22 AM   #6
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Seiko Turtle - SRP777 is a nice piece for travel with a low downside if it gets lost / stolen. They also make a GMT version of the Seiko 5 - that could be ideal! I'd replace the crap factory bracelet with a crafter blue rubber strap or some sort of Nato strap!

I would probably wear my Tudor BB58 but South America I would probably lean towards the Seiko. I would not wear the 14060M.
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 08:37 AM   #7
j10s
"TRF" Member

Is the worry that you are going to be targeted for a possibly-violent theft? or is the worry that you will lose it?

If you are going to lose it while on vacation, then any watch under a losable value will be fine.

But the real concern is that you'll get yourself targeted for a possibly violent theft, right? In that case, you likely already stick out as a tourist. Whether you have a Rolex GMT, Tudor GMT, or a look-alike Seiko GMT they would probably attack first then ask questions later, no? So I think you'd need to have something plastic that very much looks cheap.
j10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 08:43 AM   #8
chet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Last year my friend walked into a Rolex shop in Buenos Aires. The Rolex rep was horrified that he was openly wearing his Rolex. Gave him a plain bag and insisted he take it off and hide it.

Now that's how you sell a product. 'Buy this watch but don't let anyone see it, and whatever you do, don't wear it'.
5-years ago, I was in BA with a friend who was warned not to wear his Rolex by several people. Less than 5-minutes after I left him, a duo on a moped snapped it off his wrist while holding a knife to his neck.

I was in a high end watch store in BA last year and traded a bunch of USD for pesos to pay my hotel bill and save ~25%. The owner sent an armed guard to walk me back to my hotel which was about 1000 feet.'

Don't be flashy in BA.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 08:48 AM   #9
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I’m a local in South America - Colombia to be exact. I feel safe in most places that I am familiar with but I do live in a pretty affluent area (outside of a major city) with armed security almost everywhere.

When in the city or traveling within Colombia I’m usually wearing a G-Shock or something I can afford to lose such as one of my Seiko or a Longines.
Old 8 April 2023, 09:05 AM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would take any of these:

I also have this as a good travel beater:

This is also one I enjoyed wearing for it's lightweight and take anywhere-ness, but my wife pinched it:

Going a bit up market, a lightweight (Titanium), self effacing, non bling watch which packs a ton of hidden complications is something I also favour and sometimes travel with:
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 09:40 AM   #11
Pdg
"TRF" Member

2 things:

1. As others have said, if you are worried about crime then don’t wear anything that might look nice as no one is going to check if it’s a Rolex or a Tudor, etc

2. Personal comfort, I realize that, but I’m surprised by the comments on this site about crime, etc. I realize it only takes one bad situation to be a victim of a violent crime, but there seems to be a lot of exaggerations around areas people are less familiar with. When I was in BA I wore a Patek perpetual, and had no issues and no one warned me to hide my watches, etc.
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 01:23 PM   #12
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
G Shock !
+1

only vacation, I prefer enjoy the trip rather than worry about the watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 05:37 PM   #13
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I was travelling through South and Central America for 10 months.
I wore my Garmin Fenix watch- perfect for tracking the hikes/climbs and rugged and useful.
That would be my choice if I went again.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:35 PM   #14
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Seiko, G-Shock, Hamilton, Orient, Timex
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 09:43 PM   #15
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I wear my Sinn 856 on a perlon strap to areas that might be a safety concern. The tegimented case is super tough and the watch draws zero unwanted attention.

stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 09:45 PM   #16
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
5-years ago, I was in BA with a friend who was warned not to wear his Rolex by several people. Less than 5-minutes after I left him, a duo on a moped snapped it off his wrist while holding a knife to his neck.

I was in a high end watch store in BA last year and traded a bunch of USD for pesos to pay my hotel bill and save ~25%. The owner sent an armed guard to walk me back to my hotel which was about 1000 feet.'

Don't be flashy in BA.
Similar thins happened to me when I was in BA 7-8 yrs ago. I was wearing my 16570 polar explorer. I was with a group of 5 people. I had been there almost a week and never had any issues. But I was always mindful of my surroundings and if I sensed anything sketchy, I would walk into a store, hotel, etc...
On this particular day, because I was other people, I wasn't aware as I could have been. A guy came up behind me, put me in a choke hold and took me to the ground, and tore the watch off my wrist. I started to run after him but he hopped on on awaiting motorcycle and took off.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 10:02 PM   #17
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I would take any of these:

I also have this as a good travel beater:

This is also one I enjoyed wearing for it's lightweight and take anywhere-ness, but my wife pinched it:

Going a bit up market, a lightweight (Titanium), self effacing, non bling watch which packs a ton of hidden complications is something I also favour and sometimes travel with:
You have some fun options there
Old 8 April 2023, 10:07 PM   #18
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
Similar thins happened to me when I was in BA 7-8 yrs ago. I was wearing my 16570 polar explorer. I was with a group of 5 people. I had been there almost a week and never had any issues. But I was always mindful of my surroundings and if I sensed anything sketchy, I would walk into a store, hotel, etc...
On this particular day, because I was other people, I wasn't aware as I could have been. A guy came up behind me, put me in a choke hold and took me to the ground, and tore the watch off my wrist. I started to run after him but he hopped on on awaiting motorcycle and took off.
Wow that’s horrible.
Old 8 April 2023, 10:43 PM   #19
HAPConst
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
Sorry this happened to you.

Not throwing salt on anyone’s wound, but the question needs to be asked…why go to these places? Tavel 1000’s of miles to see filth, squalor, and be robbed? This coming from someone who used to spend a lot of time in panama moving boats around.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 12:33 AM   #20
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

A question to you who live in South America; would a Apple Watch be a target for theft? Thanks in advance.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 01:08 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Zeno Super Precision (1016 homage). They’re on Jomashop or Ashford for $6-800, depending on current promo.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 06:08 PM   #22
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post
Sorry this happened to you.

Not throwing salt on anyone’s wound, but the question needs to be asked…why go to these places? Tavel 1000’s of miles to see filth, squalor, and be robbed? This coming from someone who used to spend a lot of time in panama moving boats around.
This was for work. I really did enjoy the city and would go back if given the chance.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 12:02 AM   #23
RTG

I wear this when in Africa, and it doesn’t leave me feeling like I am missing anything. I assume it would be South America safe as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C0697F79-43CF-4854-A95D-F003D207AF20.jpeg (139.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 10 April 2023, 03:17 AM   #24
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
My go to travel beater with amazing lume from Norqain

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 03:27 AM   #25
gwmaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Spidery 5513
I wear a quartz Grand Seiko GMT (NOT the one with the Explorer-type bezel) on a strap instead of a bracelet, but at times I've just worn a Fitbit.

The Apple Watch question from Booth9999 is one I'm curious about. I don't own one, but I would think they would be hot commodities in many places.
gwmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 04:32 AM   #26
cotignola
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
A question to you who live in South America; would a Apple Watch be a target for theft? Thanks in advance.

According to Google: What is average wage in Argentina? Average Wages in Argentina increased to 203764 ARS/Month (964.628 USD/Month) in November 2022. The maximum rate of average wage for employees was 102567 ARS/Month and minimum was 913 ARS/Month. Data published Monthly by Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Services.

If that is accurate, an Apple Watch is still a lot of watch. A GShock is still your best choice.

Omega Speed Master Professional Cal 1861 Ref 3570.50 | Seiko SARB033 | G-Shock GW-M5610-1BCR | Apple Watch Series 8 | Rolex Explorer I Ref 124270
cotignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 04:51 AM   #27
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have only been to South America for work and the places I went to I took no watch. Even a G-Shock at 150 USD could attract unwanted attention.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 05:31 AM   #28
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I am going to be moving to Mexico this summer for work and plan on wearing a Seiko Turtle and a G-Shock! Dropping everything else off at the safety deposit box near my parents house in ~2 weeks... :)
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 08:44 PM   #29
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdg View Post
2 things:

1. As others have said, if you are worried about crime then don’t wear anything that might look nice as no one is going to check if it’s a Rolex or a Tudor, etc

2. Personal comfort, I realize that, but I’m surprised by the comments on this site about crime, etc. I realize it only takes one bad situation to be a victim of a violent crime, but there seems to be a lot of exaggerations around areas people are less familiar with. When I was in BA I wore a Patek perpetual, and had no issues and no one warned me to hide my watches, etc.
n = 1

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 09:16 PM   #30
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

I recently picked up a used Ball Night Train for this type of use case. DLC coated, so it's a bit less flashy and can take some abuse. But the real reason I got it was for the tritium lume. I often find while traveling that I wake up in the middle of the night. It's nice to be able to read the time without reaching for my phone.
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote