The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2009, 02:04 PM   #31
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cox View Post
The AD won't lose any money with a 20% discount, and he needs the cash flow.

Do him a favor.
Give him a stimulus package, huh? LOL
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:06 PM   #32
nylawbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
and spread the joy by buying all three by using the gut wrenching fist-o-cash he cant refuse and do a lotto on two that you would like to flip to the great people over here !
At the risk of sounding naive, what the heck is a Lotto? Do you mean raffle them off? LOL
Old 22 March 2009, 02:06 PM   #33
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
lightly speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylawbiz View Post
Thanks for all the input. And so quickly!

Ok, how about this for another question: If I had to unload the three watches, how much do you think I could sell them a year from now, lightly worn?
and lightly worn and flippin them in a year; you will lose out and take a hit.
Two factors guarantee that: 1. the economy 2. price increases depressing the mkt
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:07 PM   #34
nylawbiz

Quote:
and lightly worn and flippin them in a year; you will lose out and take a hit.
Two factors guarantee that: 1. the economy 2. price increases depressing the mkt
How big of a hit, do you think?
Old 22 March 2009, 02:09 PM   #35
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
If you get 20% off I think you'll recoup what you paid for them.

I got 20% off my SD and I see them selling for more than that on the FS boards...
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:11 PM   #36
STEELINOX

hard to say...

Quote:
but if you held on to em for 10 years you could (if you stored em away) make a profit as history has shown.

Better stick to buyin the 3 and lottoing the two to some lucky peeps here (for what ya paid, shipping and a 'service charge' to keep a smile on yer face).

thanks,
Randy
Old 22 March 2009, 02:12 PM   #37
nylawbiz

Quote:
but if you held on to em for 10 years you could (if you stored em away) make a profit as history has shown.

Better stick to buyin the 3 and lottoing the two to some lucky peeps here (for what ya paid, shipping and a 'service charge' to keep a smile on yer face).

thanks,
Randy
How fast would they sell on here?
Old 22 March 2009, 02:12 PM   #38
STEELINOX

EEYowee IJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
If you get 20% off I think you'll recoup what you paid for them.

I got 20% off my SD and I see them selling for more than that on the FS boards...
"way to go" on that deal !
Old 22 March 2009, 02:15 PM   #39
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Give him a stimulus package, huh? LOL
Oh, you should also ask if he will throw in a nice Air-King for your lovely friend Jen. That's chump change compared to what we're talking about here!

Old 22 March 2009, 02:15 PM   #40
STEELINOX

hard to say...

Quote:
How fast would they sell on here?
as the guys steerin the boat arent exactly makin things any better for all anytime soon. (economy)

But if you got a 25% discount on the three, it should be easy to flip brand new "grail" pieces and add 3-5 percent for yourself.

If they dont sell, big deal, think of em like an investment and hang onto em for a nice little while...

EDIT: maybe these arent really "grail" pieces anymore either, so it culd b hit or miss on demand for em...
Old 22 March 2009, 02:17 PM   #41
chenx15
"TRF" Member

push for 30 if you can. you are giving them money
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:21 PM   #42
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
X2. At 25% off he is still making $4k on your deal.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:23 PM   #43
STEELINOX

are you crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
maybe ask that sometime around the end of summer, but right now?
You'll get the "stink eye" from the guy on the other side of the counter; now do ya really want to make the guy mad?
That would be really gutsy to ask for 30 now...
Old 22 March 2009, 02:27 PM   #44
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
If you like the watches and are planning on KEEPING THEM go for it if the idea of getting a DEAL makes you buy all of them.If your thoughts are to try and make a quick buck than think of the stock market real estate etc.How many non pro flippers are holding the bag now?If you have to have them go for it.If you are a person thats looking for a deal and trying to flip them to make a buck after wearing them than I would tell him 35% off msrp cash no tax.He is still making at least 10% and you are providing cash flow for him.You are doing him a favor.If he doesnt do it walk away.Tell him thanks for the offer and to call you the next time he has a special situation.Believe me he will call you if he needs to move them.Again if money is no object and you have to have them go for it.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:28 PM   #45
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I you like the watches and are planning on KEEPING THEM go for it if the idea of getting a DEAL makes you buy all of them.If your thoughts are to try and make a quick buck than think of the stock market real estate etc.How many non pro flippers are holding the bag now?If you have to have them go for it.If you are a person thats looking for a deal and trying to flip them to make a buck after wearing them than I would tell him 35% off msrp cash no tax.He is still making at least 10% and you are providing cash flow for him.If he doesnt do it walk away.Again if money is no object and you have to have them go for it.
holy we are up to 35% now?!?!
Old 22 March 2009, 02:39 PM   #46
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
Push them for it. They obviously want to sell them or he wouldn't be asking you to buy all three.

Make them throw in all kinds of free stuff too. Even crap you don't want.

I thought we were talking about 3 watches a group buy?Cash is king for the moment.In times like this remember when you wanted a ss daytona and they told you they give them to there good customers or the dont have 1 but you know they do.Or they can get you 1 for 13k new from a good customer etc My ad told me all of this BS in the boom watch mania. If you can live without them try for 35% since its a group buy.Its all about sales he wants to sell you at msrp and you want a better deal.Do you need the watches more than he needs your cash?You will find out the minute you ask.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:58 PM   #47
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
If I were evaluating the deal, I would ask:
1. will I get this cheaper in 3 months time? Chances are that I will - too many people are in financial trouble and there is no buyer, of course, unless Rolex decides another price rise, which will be to their detrimental.
2. do I really like these extra 3 watches? Will I give them enough wrist time they deserve?
3. regarding discounts, as others said, who needs whom more? push for 30% mate if you decide to pull the trigger.

2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 03:16 PM   #48
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
It sounds to me that you are already feeling guilty about this purchase. So if that be the case i would not buy all three. I can identify because i just bought a sub 3 weeks ago and am now thinking about another. And i am feeling a little guilty.
If you will feel guilty you wont enjoy the purchase as much IMO.
If you felt confident you realy wouldent be asking us would you? Rolex's are fairley liquid if you had to unload them but you would take a hit IMO. I dont know if i have helped. But do what you want that will make you happy. Just my .02 probably not worth a hole hell of alot.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 03:27 PM   #49
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

35% plus 8% sales tax? That would be a wow!

I'd be happy with 15% maybe a bit more.

you say you have the $, I'd say go for it. Your $ will not be worth as much when inflation of the USD kicks in, plus a Rolex will probably lose less then the stock market will. Honestly, if all goes south, you will always have some nice watches worth something.

I do not think Rolex is an investment, but in today's economy, it can help hedge some of your portfolio, you know that they (the watches) can only decrease in value so much. I wish I could say the same about some of the stocks I have.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 03:31 PM   #50
finn

Watch: GV, Daytona, Sub
At least 10% for the SS Daytona and GV Milgauss Plus no tax.

I got my GV Milgauss a month ago at my local AD in LA with 10% off plus no tax (8.25%) = 18.25%

He had 4 SS black daytona at that time and trying to sell me one but I'm not interested, I think I can get 10% and no tax for the SS Daytona if I get it with the GV.

But I already have a white dial ss daytona .... and I won't be interested for another unless it is 20% off. I know he thinks that I'm dreaming but with this economy ... AD needs to understand SS daytona is not rare and customers with cash to spent is king.

at least 10% with no tax is consider OKay buy ... there will be more discount later, unless you really like the watch.

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 09:30 PM   #51
kayaker21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I would get in my car and drive to canada

If I were looking at that purchase,I would drive across the boarder have a enjoyable weekend in toronto were your money will give you a instant 20%.just my thoughts.
kayaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 10:46 PM   #52
GregB

I respectfully suggest that if there is a significant other in your life, consider making it a 4-pack. Unless coming home with the equivalent of a new car and nothing for him/her is not an issue :-)

Besides, 4-pack may lead to bigger discount :-)

- GregB
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 10:57 PM   #53
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Brian squeeze them to 30% off for the 3 watches...ill buy any of the 3 at 25% off from you....Im serious..let me know...
Old 22 March 2009, 11:00 PM   #54
aelvin
"TRF" Member

wow! if i can get 25% i will do it in a heartbeat!! and no Tax of course...
aelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 11:09 PM   #55
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

Two factors must be present for this deal to be done.

If you can hang on financially and emotionally then do the deal , pull the trigger, say yes, just do it, man up and say hooya.

If however any one of those twom previous mentioned items, emotional or financial do not sit well with you, then DO NOT DO IT.

Thats how i buy my big ticket items with no regrets.

Oh yes also ask them for the Rolex green paperweight thats my price for this sage advice
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 11:19 PM   #56
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker21 View Post
If I were looking at that purchase,I would drive across the boarder have a enjoyable weekend in toronto were your money will give you a instant 20%.just my thoughts.
Too bad you can't re-enter the U.S. through customs without them seizing all but one of the Rolexes. Yup, that's right. Import/export laws in the states prevent anyone from entering the country with more than one Rolex bought from the outside.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 11:38 PM   #57
nylawbiz

Thank you everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated, albeit, I am no closer to a decision! I am trying to analyze the deal from the AD's propective. Lets say his mark-up is 40% on the watches (I think thats what it is). I am sure he expects to make a good margin on the Daytona, based upon his past experiences. I have not read on here anyone getting more than a 10% discount on a Daytona from an AD. How large of a discount has been reported on here for the LV and the DSSD? Are those 20% discount items? He gave me 20% off my GMT II C last year; although now he says I got an amazing deal back then (I also bought an Air King for my wife at the same time).

I could also raise some cash by selling the his and her TT DJ's that we have sitting around, not getting any wrist time, but I don't think i would get too much for them, in today's market. Even less in trade-in.

I also don't plan on getting around the 8% sales tax; either I'm paying it, or the AD is paying it, and it will be in part of the final price. This 8% eats into any recoupment of investment, in the event I decide to liquidate the watches.

If I am so bold as to get the three, I am sure my wife will be wearing them also. DSSD maybe a little too big for her, but I am sure she would be happy to wear the Daytona and Milgauss, from time to time. I have no problem with sharing (with) my wife - LOL.

Anyway, I am still betwixt and between decisions. I guess the real question is, how rare of an opportunity is this, and what is the likelihood that another opportunity such as this will happen again? $20-$25K is a lot of money for a few ounces of steel!
Old 22 March 2009, 11:55 PM   #58
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

3 most expensive for the price of 2 lease expensive.... 3 for 2....
Old 22 March 2009, 11:57 PM   #59
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated, albeit, I am no closer to a decision! I am trying to analyze the deal from the AD's propective. Lets say his mark-up is 40% on the watches (I think thats what it is). I am sure he expects to make a good margin on the Daytona, based upon his past experiences. I have not read on here anyone getting more than a 10% discount on a Daytona from an AD. How large of a discount has been reported on here for the LV and the DSSD? Are those 20% discount items? He gave me 20% off my GMT II C last year; although now he says I got an amazing deal back then (I also bought an Air King for my wife at the same time).

I could also raise some cash by selling the his and her TT DJ's that we have sitting around, not getting any wrist time, but I don't think i would get too much for them, in today's market. Even less in trade-in.

I also don't plan on getting around the 8% sales tax; either I'm paying it, or the AD is paying it, and it will be in part of the final price. This 8% eats into any recoupment of investment, in the event I decide to liquidate the watches.

If I am so bold as to get the three, I am sure my wife will be wearing them also. DSSD maybe a little too big for her, but I am sure she would be happy to wear the Daytona and Milgauss, from time to time. I have no problem with sharing (with) my wife - LOL.

Anyway, I am still betwixt and between decisions. I guess the real question is, how rare of an opportunity is this, and what is the likelihood that another opportunity such as this will happen again? $20-$25K is a lot of money for a few ounces of steel!

My wife LOVES wearing the SS White Daytona.
Old 23 March 2009, 12:01 AM   #60
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Like many on here I feel around 25% would be a good deal. That being said, at the risk of being the resident wet blanket around here, I myself question the whole multiple watch scenario. It's so easy to get caught up in it and I fell into it a year ago when I purchased a Sub/date, TT DJ and a SS Daytona within an 8 month period. I had worn a SS GMT for 20 years as my only watch and was very satisfied to do so. Now I find myself conflicted about which one to wear, which one to take on a trip, etc. I drag all of them along if I'm driving and will be gone for some time so that's a hassle also. I think I would be much more content with at the most, a sport/daily wearer, and a dress watch. I really feel like I'm not enjoying them quite as much as I should. The other downside is a nasty service bill every few years. JMO.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote