The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2023, 01:22 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Cannot keep a speedmaster for the life or me

I think I have bought, sold, re-bought this thing 4 times now.

While I love the clean and warm (hesalite) look of the watch as a staple piece in the collection, I just rarely seem to wear it, which makes it one of the first go go when trying to trade into something else.

I also think the whole moon situation and 'every collector must have this' stuff is a turn off for me rather than the opposite. To put it another way, I keep getting the thought 'I'm not a speedmaster guy'.

But then when I get rid of the thing, it always feels like a gut punch, like I lost a cornerstone of the collection. And I inevitably have to get it back.

Anyone got any similar experiences/advice?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:24 AM   #2
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Same here. I must have owned 3 or 4 id them. I never could bond with them. I’ve got a Planet Ocean that I love. The Speedy isn’t for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:56 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

I'm on a similar path. I had a 3861, traded it plus cash for a vacheron, and now im back in the market for another speedy.

Anybody use one as a daily watch? The speedmaster seems like the best value under 5K in the watch market today, but is the chrono that valuable of a function for daily use?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:05 AM   #4
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
Yes sir, currently on the prowl for my third one....
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:11 AM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Same here. I have bought and sold the Speedy at least 5 or 6 times. I love the watch, but I always end up wearing a Rolex more....then I feel guilty that the Speedy just sits and I sell it. I wish the Speedy was like a $1,000 watch....then I wouldn't feel guilty owning it and not wearing it all that often. I don't like having $5k+ tied up in a watch that sits more than gets worn.
Old 17 March 2023, 05:32 AM   #6
APhound
"TRF" Member

Totally understand. Maybe try a different variation..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 07:31 AM   #7
watchvert
"TRF" Member

I've been playing with an idea of getting one for years and then I was presented with the current Snoopy, which I didn't care about at the time and was told I can only try it on and it's just an exhibition piece. I didn't think of it much, but then 3 weeks after trying it on decided that I kind of like the contrast of colours and went back to try it on again. After that I put my name down for it and got it in December 2021 (3 months wait) and I wear it most of the time as a daily watch swapping bracelet and strap from time to time. I don't really care about chronographs as I find this complication fairly useless, but visually it looks good in some cases and specifically in the case of the 50th anniversary Snoopy. I wasn't even sure how fast I'd get it and even considered getting CK2998 blue, as it looked similar to Snoopy. The Moonwatch just doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. Lack of contrast and the fact that bezel is aluminium. Snoopy has a ceramic one.
watchvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:22 AM   #8
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I'm on a similar path. I had a 3861, traded it plus cash for a vacheron, and now im back in the market for another speedy.

Anybody use one as a daily watch? The speedmaster seems like the best value under 5K in the watch market today, but is the chrono that valuable of a function for daily use?
I daily my Moonphase Speedmaster during my work week and absolutely love it. I like the larger case size over the moonwatch, the automatic movement, and the moonphase is executed gorgeously even if I could honestly give a damn about the current moonphase, and I never use my chrono in daily life. Of course I own a James Cameron and don’t dive so I guess I like collecting pieces with cool complications or engineering regardless of how practical they are for my lifestyle.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 11:07 AM   #9
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans93 View Post
I'm on the hunt for my 4th. Maybe that will be the one I finally keep...
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 11:37 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Cannot keep a speedmaster for the life or me

Have owned over a dozen models, including manual wind 1861 & 1863 42 MM, automatic 42 MM, 39 & 40 MM autos and 40 MM coaxial a over the last 15 years or so. These 2 were the nicest ones:

Don’t have any today, but who knows tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 12:25 PM   #11
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans93 View Post
Almost bought my 3rd one yesterday
Old 17 March 2023, 01:02 PM   #12
IR201
"TRF" Member

Glad I'm not the only one!!
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:06 PM   #13
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Speedmaster Racing will end or slow the madness..
2loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:08 PM   #14
Qristian
"TRF" Member

I have owned two of them. I bought the last one to myself for 50th birthday as a hope to bond with it better. At the moment I feel that my Speedy is not going anywhere and it is my daily watch. My wife says it is the most beautiful watch that I own, and that means something. But still I miss wearing Rolex when wearing Speedy and vice versa.
Omega Speedmaster Pro 005
Qristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:23 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Speedmaster is an iconic watch and one that moves in and out of my collection very rapidly. They don't stick because I do not think they are that special or rare. Not that I don't like them, they are just easy to replace and with so many models I think nothing of selling/trading them. I fell the same way about the standard black Rolex Submariner, cool watch but one that is replicated numerous times in my collection with various Tudors/Seiko's/Hamilton's and even other Rolex watches. Will I buy another Speedmaster at some point, sure will, but will it stick, probably not.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:14 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You just haven't found the right one yet.

I was in the same boat with the 1861 and 3861. They are great references, but I just didn't feel like they were "special".

I upped the ante and went with the 321. It's like wearing a piece of history/artwork on the wrist.

Its not for everyone, but if you're looking to try a Speedy of a different sort, I highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:29 AM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The standard Moonwatch is very utilitarian and doesn't feel as luxury as other watches. I was very excited to get one, then I did, the I quickly got bored of it. It just doesn't have a big wow factor. I feel like there's no thrill when I put it on. Off it went.

If you like the Moonwatch but want more of that luxurious feel I suggest having a look at the Racing and Moonphase models. They exude a little more of that premium feel that the standard Speedy kind of lacks. I'm much happier with my Moonphase, but it might be too big for some folks.

But end of the day, I know what you mean. Been there, done that. Haven't had any interest in going back to that well since.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:49 AM   #18
Navin Johnson
"TRF" Member

I feel the same way. A few years ago I bought a Moonwatch and liked it, but I always ended up wearing my Explorer or Sub. Ended up selling the speedy.
Navin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 05:58 AM   #19
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Bought the non tapered bracelet version in 2018. Felt it wore a bit large for me so I sold it. Bought the 2022 tapered bracelet, Hesalite version and it fits perfectly. It’s never leaving my collection.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 06:29 AM   #20
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I think I have bought, sold, re-bought this thing 4 times now.

While I love the clean and warm (hesalite) look of the watch as a staple piece in the collection, I just rarely seem to wear it, which makes it one of the first go go when trying to trade into something else.

I also think the whole moon situation and 'every collector must have this' stuff is a turn off for me rather than the opposite. To put it another way, I keep getting the thought 'I'm not a speedmaster guy'.

But then when I get rid of the thing, it always feels like a gut punch, like I lost a cornerstone of the collection. And I inevitably have to get it back.

Anyone got any similar experiences/advice?
Same here......the problem is, its simply boring!!!!! And don't get me started with the 321........I mean, its just as boring but a lot more money, LOL!!!!!! The only Omegas I have kept are Snoopys (2015 and current one) and the original PO on Shark Cage/Mesh bracelet.
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 09:29 AM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
tinTin
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 09:48 AM   #22
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post
Same here......the problem is, its simply boring!!!!! And don't get me started with the 321........I mean, its just as boring but a lot more money, LOL!!!!!! The only Omegas I have kept are Snoopys (2015 and current one) and the original PO on Shark Cage/Mesh bracelet.
It’s not the watch. No such thing as uninteresting things, only uninterested people. And that’s ok - not everyone needs to care for the same things
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 09:59 AM   #23
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

I actually wear mine more frequently than the Rolex ones. I like the look of the tritium on the 3590.50 and it’s a great travel watch. I feel like it’s nice, looks good but doesn’t scream “rob me” to non-watch people
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 12:37 PM   #24
cfree011
"TRF" Member

You should get the broad arrow. 100m water resistance, a little thicker but a great everyday watch.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
cfree011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 02:26 PM   #25
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Me too. I bought one new from the AD in 2020. I sold it two months later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 11:06 PM   #26
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You just haven't found the right one yet.

I was in the same boat with the 1861 and 3861. They are great references, but I just didn't feel like they were "special".

I upped the ante and went with the 321. It's like wearing a piece of history/artwork on the wrist.

Its not for everyone, but if you're looking to try a Speedy of a different sort, I highly recommend

This gentleman beat me to it. Owner of this reference and it is truly special, yet still very much under the radar. The beauty is in the details.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:29 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
This gentleman beat me to it. Owner of this reference and it is truly special, yet still very much under the radar. The beauty is in the details.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:31 AM   #28
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
Totally understand. Maybe try a different variation..
Unfortunately this version is too big for my wrist
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 04:47 PM   #29
mac_135
"TRF" Member

I just sold my second one, this thread made me laugh. Do I miss it? I think I enjoyed owning it more than I enjoyed wearing it. Both of mine were the classic Hesalite versions, and for some reason I always felt like I was going to scratch it. I just never seemed to wear it. The bracelet never fit right so I bought both on leather.

I think if I get around to round 3 it would be a sapphire sandwich model, or maybe even the FOIS (which was the first one I always wanted, but research talked me out of it)...

The Speedmaster is such a great watch but I often wonder why I bother trying when I have been attached to my Submariner for over 5 years with no second thoughts.
mac_135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:53 AM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
I just sold my second one, this thread made me laugh. Do I miss it? I think I enjoyed owning it more than I enjoyed wearing it. Both of mine were the classic Hesalite versions, and for some reason I always felt like I was going to scratch it. I just never seemed to wear it. The bracelet never fit right so I bought both on leather.

I think if I get around to round 3 it would be a sapphire sandwich model, or maybe even the FOIS (which was the first one I always wanted, but research talked me out of it)...

The Speedmaster is such a great watch but I often wonder why I bother trying when I have been attached to my Submariner for over 5 years with no second thoughts.
Scratching the Hesalite is virtually inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
One really needs to experience the watch for what it is and embrace that to the full.
I've chipped, scratched and shattered Saphire crystal as well and I can tell you from hard won experience that it always happens when one is least expecting it and I much prefer every aspect and the enjoyment of the Hesalite in the grand scheme of things.
I must say that despite my track record with crystals I am more than capable of taking good care of a watch, it's just that I wear them and fully accept the risk factors.
Hesalite has always proved to be fit for purpose and cost effective to replace on the rare occasion that it's called for due to accidental damage.
They may be more inclined to crack rather than shatter and that makes them more serviceable in that regard.
Certainly more cost effective even if one replaced them periodically rather than using a bit of polywatch(which i have never owned).
On reflection I think the last time I cracked a plastic crystal may have been back in the 70's when I was more reckless in my youth and I have worn both consistently.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote