The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 January 2023, 08:40 AM   #1
Kasket007
"TRF" Member

Datejust Model #1500 - Purchase Advice?

Hello,

I'm purchasing my first Rolex (Preowned) and I've stumbled across a gentleman selling his 34mm 1972 #1500 Model, it's a sigma dial, and apparently that's harder to come by than other Datejusts.

We've settled on $5,600USD, but I'm a bit worried if the price is higher than what it should be. It's in a well kept condition, minus the box and accessories, but I'm not too worried about that as this will be a watch I want to wear for a long time.

Does it sound like I have something good going? Or should I turn around and walk away?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm very new to this, thank you kindly.
Kasket007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 09:24 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasket007 View Post
Hello,

I'm purchasing my first Rolex (Preowned) and I've stumbled across a gentleman selling his 34mm 1972 #1500 Model, it's a sigma dial, and apparently that's harder to come by than other Datejusts.

We've settled on $5,600USD, but I'm a bit worried if the price is higher than what it should be. It's in a well kept condition, minus the box and accessories, but I'm not too worried about that as this will be a watch I want to wear for a long time.

Does it sound like I have something good going? Or should I turn around and walk away?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm very new to this, thank you kindly.
The 1500 is not a Datejust, and yes the price seems high.
Old 21 January 2023, 09:41 AM   #3
CTech
"TRF" Member

There are always multiple examples of the 1500 series in Stainless Steel available in my area from jewelers, on Craigslist, etc. and they are usually priced around US$3300 to $3500 with no box or papers, so I second Adam's view that US$5600 is far too much for what is a relatively common watch.

Look around Craigslist in different US areas and you'll get a better view of what the going rate is. I'm not suggesting you buy from Craigslist unless you find an exceptional, verifiable deal but a lot of the adverts on both the East and West coasts are from reputable jewelers and dealers and hence give an accurate view of what the market price is in those areas.

Just to add more context, there is a good looking 1601 Datejust with a silver, pie pan sigma dial on a Jubilee bracelet for sale near me for US$4700 and that is a typical price for a 1970s Datejust in this area.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:03 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

What type of dial is it? I don't think anything would make me pay that much for a 1500, it would be very high for an equivalent DJ from a private seller, to be honest. But colored dials, shantung dials, etc. definitely add value.
Old 21 January 2023, 10:55 AM   #5
Nick9
"TRF" Member

That is an insane price. Walk away.

Keep looking and you will easily find great examples of vintage Rolexes, for very much less money.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:56 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

The price is way too high for that watch. Do some googling.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 12:42 PM   #7
Kasket007
"TRF" Member

Just getting back to this thread now,

The watch has white gold for the dial's, with the signs icons near the Swiss at the bottom.

Apparently that was the big "selling point" the seller was pushing, not sure if that changes anything. The metal is stainless steel with an oyster bracelet
Old 21 January 2023, 01:06 PM   #8
CTech
"TRF" Member

The sigma dials are often quoted as rare and valuable by sellers, but in reality a sigma dial adds very little, if anything, to the overall price and is not as important to most people as condition of case, condition of bracelet, color of dial, service records, accessories, etc.

There are many hundreds of sigma dialed Rolex watches for sale at any time, especially the 1500 and 1600 series, so they are not as rare as the sellers would like you to believe.

Keep looking at both the 1500 and 1600 watches and you'll soon find one you like at considerably lower cost than US$5600.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 01:44 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

We are all very familiar with the meaning of the sigma dial. The markers and hands are gold instead of plated. It's a nice detail, but not a game-changer. As noted above overall condition is more important and there's no reason to overpay greatly for a sigma dial. You can look at watches for sale in the classifieds on this site and others to get a feeling for realistic prices.
Old 22 January 2023, 03:03 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A Sigma dial defines an era in the 70's. By the late 70's all dial indices were gold, so any marketing value at the time became moot.

A Sigma dial is what you would expect to find for watches in this era and is not generally a value-added cosmetic item.

Market value for a 70's 1500 is a bit less than the cited price, but as with all watches, condition and desire for a particular piece is paramount.

The smaller Oyster Perpetual 1500's are not in demand the way their bigger brother the Datejust is. I would expect that you could find a nice Datejust in excellent condition for less than this offering.
Old 22 January 2023, 03:11 AM   #11
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I bought a 1500 for $1500 not that long ago. Still see them for $2-3000

Also how big is your wrist? 34mm wears very small for a modern watch and is really more of a women’s size. I’d pony up a bit more for a 36mm dj. If your budget is $5600 there’s plenty of nice Datejusts in that range. Also look at the 36mm explorer in that price range as well.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:29 AM   #12
Kasket007
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for the information, I wasn't expecting forums to be this active.

I've walked away from this seller, and am now looking in the classifieds here for a better deal, already seeing some that have caught my eye for much better pricing.

If I can be frank, I actually got a ref.1601 before this... Paid $5600 usd for it as it was the lowest priced one on FB marketplace... Feel incredibly stupid now and the mistake it gnawing away at me, but lesson well learnt. Holding onto it and trying to sell it on marketplace for (hopefully) not too large of a loss... Will be consulting this forum much more for future questions as all of your input has saved me from digging myself into a deeper hole.

Thank you again everybody, greatly appreciate the hospitality.
Old 22 January 2023, 09:50 AM   #13
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

A 1500 or 1501 (with the nicer engine turned bezel) should be 2 - 3k, depending on condition and completeness.

At 5k I'm buying a nice quickset datejust if I want a date, or an Explorer I, and with the money left over I'd go have some Chipotle or something.
Old 22 January 2023, 10:50 AM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post

At 5k I'm buying a nice quickset datejust if I want a date, or an Explorer I, and with the money left over I'd go have some Chipotle or something.
You won't have much Chipotle money left over if your budget is 5k for an Explorer.

And to be dreadfully nerdy (which is why we're all here, after all), there's an Explorer and an Explorer II. There's no Explorer I.
Old 22 January 2023, 11:47 AM   #15
Kasket007
"TRF" Member

That might actually be important to mention, would it change much if the 1601 had all the original accessories?

I've got the box, case, seal accessory, manuals and original paperwork.

Last edited by Kasket007; 22 January 2023 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Too short initially
Old 22 January 2023, 12:13 PM   #16
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Box and papers are “nice to have” accessories, and most buyers would reckon a couple of hundred dollars.

My personal advice is that you abandon FB marketplace, forever. You’ll find great watches here on RF, and on Omega Forum.

There is an active Canadian community on Canadian Watch Collector, www.canwatchco.ca
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:22 PM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the information, I wasn't expecting forums to be this active.

I've walked away from this seller, and am now looking in the classifieds here for a better deal, already seeing some that have caught my eye for much better pricing.

If I can be frank, I actually got a ref.1601 before this... Paid $5600 usd for it as it was the lowest priced one on FB marketplace... Feel incredibly stupid now and the mistake it gnawing away at me, but lesson well learnt. Holding onto it and trying to sell it on marketplace for (hopefully) not too large of a loss...
If you'll pardon my saying so, the mistake wasn't paying $5600, but buying a watch that you don't like and now want to sell. If you love a watch, you forget the price you paid pretty quickly.
Old 22 January 2023, 12:28 PM   #18
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
You won't have much Chipotle money left over if your budget is 5k for an Explorer.

And to be dreadfully nerdy (which is why we're all here, after all), there's an Explorer and an Explorer II. There's no Explorer I.
Good points! I saw an explorer for 4750 on moda - leaves 850 for some chipotle! I picked up a full set for 5600 two weeks ago - no money left over in that instance.
Old 22 January 2023, 04:12 PM   #19
Kasket007
"TRF" Member

Yeah you're totally right, I did like it until I figured I paid much more for it than it really should have been worth, now it's like a constant reminder for me that I made a mistake.

I'll still wear it in the meantime and enjoy it, but I'm still gonna keep an eye peeled for another. And without question marketplace is totally off the table for any Rolex hunting in future.
Old 22 January 2023, 04:51 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Good points! I saw an explorer for 4750 on moda - leaves 850 for some chipotle!
850 bucks is a good few hundred burritos at Chipotle!

But you'd need to save some of the money for a bracelet extension to fit your newly enormous wrist.
Old 22 January 2023, 07:43 PM   #21
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That might actually be important to mention, would it change much if the 1601 had all the original accessories?

I've got the box, case, seal accessory, manuals and original paperwork.
It sounds to me as though you have bought quite well and have a nice watch with the bonus of the box, papers and the various accessories. So maybe a good idea to stop worrying about the price that you paid and move on. For what it is worth it is likely that you would have had to pay more to purchase a similar Datejust in the UK. The market/prices for pre-owned watches vary from country to country, a fact that our predominantly US-based members don't always consider when responding to posts such as yours. Enjoy your watch, the Datejust is a real classic.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:55 PM   #22
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I bought a 1500 for $1500 not that long ago. Still see them for $2-3000

Also how big is your wrist? 34mm wears very small for a modern watch and is really more of a women’s size. I’d pony up a bit more for a 36mm dj. If your budget is $5600 there’s plenty of nice Datejusts in that range. Also look at the 36mm explorer in that price range as well.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend. My first rolex was a 15505 34mm size. I ended up selling it on craigslist because the 34mm size was too small. A 36mm datejust fits really well- those 2mm make a world of difference.

I would recommend a 5 digit datejust for your first rolex. Either the plexi 5 digit models if you want more of a vintage vibe or a saphire 5 digit if you want a bit more of a modern appearance. You will find one in your budget.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 12:38 AM   #23
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, I have sold several very nice acrylic 5-digit DJs in recent months in the range $3600-$4300 depending on condition and type of dial. In the US, that is the typical price range between collectors at the moment.