The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2022, 08:50 AM   #31
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Apart from all this advice. Pray, pray a lot.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 08:51 AM   #32
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s a weird time to buy a Rolex from an AD. I’d pay your local AD a visit and have a chat to see if they are willing to sell you one.
best answer
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 08:53 AM   #33
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
We did this but had to wait two weeks for a Sub LV.
if it were this easy, 100% guaranteed it isn't, we'd all have the watch of our dream every two weeks. I would suggest this is more like total rubbish.
I buy lottery tickets with these odds.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 09:13 AM   #34
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
if it were this easy, 100% guaranteed it isn't, we'd all have the watch of our dream every two weeks. I would suggest this is more like total rubbish.
I buy lottery tickets with these odds.
Be ignorant and call it what you want...I didn't say it was guaranteed. I only shared my experience. Maybe you should just ignore it since you call it rubbish. First, I called at least 6 AD's and it didn't take long to realize that no one would sell me one over the phone. I did reach an SA that suggested I visit her store and establish a relationship. I did and made a $1200 purchase while there. It was a purchase I would have made whether I got a watch or not. Some call it "butter". My wife hit it off with the associate while the associate cleaned her YG Datejust. Associate was very positive and told us they get in several watches a week. I gave her three choices. Sub LV, Sub Date, Sub no date. SA said let's focus on your first choice. Less than two weeks later I get a call from associate and she offers me the LV. She told me when the LV arrived she told the manager she had a customer in mind for the watch. There is NO OFFICIAL WAIT LIST, just contact info on potential customers. I got the call, I got the watch in less than 14 days. Since my watch purchase, I made another $1200 purchase for my wife (upcoming birthday). More butter? Call it what you want. Happy wife, happy life. Today we visited the SA and I tried on a Daytona. When I walked in the store the SA said you've got a birthday coming up soon don't you! Well I'd say I've established a relationship!! I probably won't be offered the white dial Daytona but I'll take it if I get the offer. Go buy yourself a lotto ticket.
Old 15 April 2022, 09:35 AM   #35
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
If your watch needs servicing after ten years then make an appointment
with the AD to have it serviced .That way you can start a relationship .
It’s all about relationships.If possible request one of the more senior people
to build your relationship as the less senior have less clout in allocations.
tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 09:48 AM   #36
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Results vary, but high-demand references can be quite difficult to get from ADs (some have great luck, others don't). As others have noted, Maryland is a very tough market. There is a lot of wealth and only a few ADs, and the ADs there are very selective in when they offer, at least from what I've experienced.

I wanted a Sub. I ultimately got it through a secondary dealer.

It's a seller's market right now, and these watches would not be priced so high on the secondary market if they were not so hard to get from ADs and so many people wanted them.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 09:59 AM   #37
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Fortunately the SA that talked me into driving 50+ miles to the store to try on an "exhibition" model, is the senior sales associate. I admit there was luck involved but my wife and the SA liking each other, and me convincing the SA I wasn't a flipper and an upcoming birthday played a part in the transaction happening. Maybe my wife wearing a president and telling the SA she wanted me to have a new Sub was a factor too. I bought "grey" in December when I purchased a ladies president for my wife because I got a great deal much less than MSRP. Grey is ok if you buy from a reputable dealer and get it for less than MSRP.
Old 16 April 2022, 07:18 AM   #38
IEEE1588
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 JC
I added myself to a list for a 126600 about seven months ago and my AD called me about a month ago to say that a 126660JC was in. It was mine if I wanted it. I figured I’d go check it out in person and took it after seeing it on my wrist. At the same visit, I asked about a YG two tone 28mm DJ for my wife for our 20th anniversary in about six months. I got a call a couple of weeks later about a Rose Gold two tone, but passed as I knew she wasn’t into that color. A week later the AD called with a 36mm DJ in just about the configuration we wanted minus the MoP dial. So I guess that makes three calls in a months time. So in short, I’ve found that a good relationship with a sales rep at a good AD and most importantly being flexible are the key to buying. I’m going to press my luck with this AD in hopes for a 126710BLRO :)
IEEE1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 07:36 AM   #39
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
This thread seems unnecessary. All one has to do is peruse the this site, read the dozens and dozens and dozens of posts about the process, it’s enough to turn one away
Old 16 April 2022, 07:37 AM   #40
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
Pretty straight forward, actually.

- Demonstrate that you are already a long time customer of the brand
- Know what you want and have a narrative of why you want that piece
- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Followup regularly but without being annoying or pushy
- Be patient
- making a small purchase of something else will help speed up the process, and for some ADs may be a requirement.

Good luck.
Or skip the BS and go gray. Especially if you want 1-2 watches. If you want 3+ watches it might be worth jumping through hoops.
Old 16 April 2022, 07:52 AM   #41
rum77
Banned

Go gray it's simple
rum77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 01:01 PM   #42
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Be patient
- making a small purchase of something else will help speed up the process, and for some ADs may be a requirement.

Good luck.
This is excellent advice.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 01:27 PM   #43
ColdWater
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I stopped in today to say hello for the second time this year. Tried on a demo Explorer again.

I cried, "I bet you don't get many of these. I've been waiting five months."

She yelled, "We get these all the time!"

I walked out with another Rolex catalogue.
ColdWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 01:29 PM   #44
28mm
"TRF" Member

Check your PM.
Old 18 April 2022, 05:10 AM   #45
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Be patient

Good luck.
Worked for me in March. I plan to buy a 116500LN or 126710 BLRO or in the next few months at MSRP from AD. Hopefully this will work again.
Old 18 April 2022, 05:15 AM   #46
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:

- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Be patient

Good luck.

This is exactly what you need to do! The demand is high so depending on which model you are after it might require lots of patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 06:21 AM   #47
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Be patient

Good luck.

^^^^^^^^ this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 06:25 AM   #48
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

It's almost impossible to buy a sport SS from AD even you're their previous customers. Good luck
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 08:03 AM   #49
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
It's almost impossible to buy a sport SS from AD even you're their previous customers. Good luck
But but but.... there are two threads claiming that dealers have their safes FULL!

What's the truth here?
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 09:16 AM   #50
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Knee pads.

It's actually a ridiculous, redundant question with miles of threads to read with a simple search

but I won't say that out loud because it's Easter...good luck, OP.

There, that's nicer.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 09:35 AM   #51
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

About 5 years ago, I was in my local AD to inquire about the GMT Batman (which at the time was only available with the Oyster bracelet). The man who had come in ahead of me was talking to the manager of the store asking about the same watch and was told they did not have any. The man was John Oates of Hall & Oates and he was in town to give a concert.

If the AD didn't have a GMT Batman for John Oates, I was sure they didn't have one for me, eventhough I had bought a two-tone Datejust for my wife from them 10 years before.

After that, I had given up hope on the Oyster Batman as I heard it had been discontinued and the grey market price was 2x retail.

Today the Batman is almost 3x retail, but while looking at the new 2022 Rolexes on my website and discovered that the Batman w/Oyster was still in the line up. I went to my AD and recounted the John Oates story (they remembered) and put my name on a wait list (to buy one at retail).

I didn't know this was a thing! While it could be a few years, I now have hope....maybe I should get my wife's Datejust serviced just for good measure.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 10:34 AM   #52
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Be likeable
- Don’t act entitled
- Be patient

Good luck.
To the naysayers that say this is a waste of time for a couple of watches from your AD, spend that extra $8K for a 126610LN, $12K more for a Sub LV or $25K more for a 116500 for that instant gratification from your grey dealer. Why pay $10K for a Sub from an AD when your grey dealer will let you have one for $18K.... Go grey, it's simple!
Old 18 April 2022, 11:08 AM   #53
Kevin1!!
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same boat.. going to be retiring the end of the year and decided now was the time to make the jump for my first Rolex. I know perfect timing right! Well, I have an AD the next town over and stopped in for a nice chat. He remembered me from a few years back when I was on the fence. Long story short, he knew I was a legitimate customer and not a flipper. I told him I would wait and only buy from him locally and not a grey dealer. I think I will be pleasantly surprised.
Kevin1!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 11:13 AM   #54
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
To the naysayers that say this is a waste of time for a couple of watches from your AD, spend that extra $8K for a 126610LN, $12K more for a Sub LV or $25K more for a 116500 for that instant gratification from your grey dealer. Why pay $10K for a Sub from an AD when your grey dealer will let you have one for $18K.... Go grey, it's simple!
That thinking works only up to a certain price point and this can vary by how much disposable income one has. I’d love to have a Platona at retail but going grey and paying $175-200k is just absurd
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 11:13 AM   #55
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
About 5 years ago, I was in my local AD to inquire about the GMT Batman (which at the time was only available with the Oyster bracelet). The man who had come in ahead of me was talking to the manager of the store asking about the same watch and was told they did not have any. The man was John Oates of Hall & Oates and he was in town to give a concert.

If the AD didn't have a GMT Batman for John Oates, I was sure they didn't have one for me, eventhough I had bought a two-tone Datejust for my wife from them 10 years before.

After that, I had given up hope on the Oyster Batman as I heard it had been discontinued and the grey market price was 2x retail.

Today the Batman is almost 3x retail, but while looking at the new 2022 Rolexes on my website and discovered that the Batman w/Oyster was still in the line up. I went to my AD and recounted the John Oates story (they remembered) and put my name on a wait list (to buy one at retail).

I didn't know this was a thing! While it could be a few years, I now have hope....maybe I should get my wife's Datejust serviced just for good measure.
Did they offer him a Tudor and did he say “I can’t go for that”
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 12:55 PM   #56
atrain1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Did they offer him a Tudor and did he say “I can’t go for that”
This is brilliant. The entire song could be interpreted as the story of someone wanting to buy a Rolex from an AD but who is unwilling to buy jewelry to grease the skids.
atrain1975 is offline   Reply With Quote