The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 May 2016, 03:41 PM   #1
speedolex
Banned

New To The President Bracelet - Do These Endlinks Look Right To You?

Just got home from Hong Kong with my newly acquired 1601 YG Datejust with Slate Grey dial, just put her on my vintage President bracelet which I obtained years ago and never wore, just never had the right YG watch for it.

I've got 9 other Rolexes and none of them behave the way this President is, not sure if it's because I'm not used to how a President sits or if perhaps I've got the wrong endpieces.

Two questions please:

1. The polished center links in the endpiece stick up a few millimeters on the endpiece itself. This is contrary to the rest of the bracelet whose polished center links are at the same height of the brushed side links. Is this correct?

2. As a result of this, the first row of 'real' links coming off the endpieces rise above the falling curve of the endpieces. Is this right?

I ask because on all my Oyster/Jubilee bracelets there is a continuous flow of height from the endpiece to the start of the bracelet and on my President the opposite is happening, there seems to be a disconnect between the design of the endpiece and the design of the bracelet.

I've tried to post pictures that show this, if anyone can chime in please let me know. If this is natural President bracelet/endpiece design I'll get used to it but its foreign to what I'm used to in all the other Rolex bracelets I've experienced. The first photo shows it best, the first row of real links on the bracelet sit higher than the endpiece. Is this how the President sits on the wrist?

TIA
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 05:05 PM   #2
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Hm. I don't like the look of the whole bracelet. Could u show the stampings on the clasp and also inside the end links? I'm sure we could give better assessment.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 08:06 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Show us the marks kings it does not look right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2016, 08:21 PM   #4
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Hm. I don't like the look of the whole bracelet. Could u show the stampings on the clasp and also inside the end links? I'm sure we could give better assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Show us the marks kings it does not look right

More views, thanks guys.
Old 4 May 2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
It is not correct.

Where did you buy it?

Sorry to bear bad news.

Haywood
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 08:58 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Your band is fake sorry

Old 4 May 2016, 09:07 PM   #7
speedolex
Banned

Wow, that would be disappointing. I bought it on eBay back in 2005 and it was all stretched and Michael Young did a restoration. I don't think he would restore a fake bracelet, so this is confusing. You positive it's a fake? I can live with being ripped off on eBay after all these years but the MY part doesn't add up.
Old 4 May 2016, 09:22 PM   #8
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Hmmm.....that incorrect Rolex logo (no "over and under" for a start), that clumsy cartoon of Donald Trump instead of Minerva's head in subtle relief, those Royal Opera House end-links, that 750 by potato printing and those main runs of links that do not appear to be consistent nor the correct scale / shape.

Haywood
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Old 4 May 2016, 09:30 PM   #9
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
Hmmm.....that incorrect Rolex logo (no "over and under" for a start), that clumsy cartoon of Donald Trump instead of Minerva's head in subtle relief, those Royal Opera House end-links, that 750 by potato printing and those main runs of links that do not appear to be consistent nor the correct scale / shape.

Haywood
Well, I guess that's that. LOL.

What options do I have in solid gold besides the President style circa 1970? Did they make an Oyster or Jubilee or do I need to seek out another (this time authentic) President?
Old 4 May 2016, 09:54 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Well, I guess that's that. LOL.

What options do I have in solid gold besides the President style circa 1970? Did they make an Oyster or Jubilee or do I need to seek out another (this time authentic) President?
I admire your "Accept it with good humor and move on" approach. That's a teachable moment.

These originally came on a President or on leather, so you could choose either or both. Aftermarket Presidents aren't considered acceptable, but aftermarket leather is, so your options in this regard are countless.

Good luck with your choice.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 10:18 PM   #11
averywood4
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

I hope it is at least real 18k gold. Could still get some good scrap value out of it...
averywood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by averywood4 View Post
Wow. Sorry to hear that.

I hope it is at least real 18k gold. Could still get some good scrap value out of it...
From experience of the many I see I would expect it to be 14ct at best but fear there may in fact be a base metal core to significant parts of this one.

Haywood M
Old 4 May 2016, 11:30 PM   #13
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Haywood

Lol. I was trying to be more subtle but what you state is true. Cheers. Likely made in Hong Kong I can almost name the maker but I won't.
Old 4 May 2016, 11:55 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
That's surprising that MY didn't say anything.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 11:57 PM   #15
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I admire your "Accept it with good humor and move on" approach. That's a teachable moment.

These originally came on a President or on leather, so you could choose either or both. Aftermarket Presidents aren't considered acceptable, but aftermarket leather is, so your options in this regard are countless.

Good luck with your choice.
Thank you, it was a mistake I made 10+ years ago I guess, not going to beat myself up over it now.

That said, I don't know why Michael Young would have reconditioned this bracelet for good money back then and wouldn't have told me it was a fake at the time. That's the only part that's upsetting me now actually.
Old 5 May 2016, 01:14 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Thank you, it was a mistake I made 10+ years ago I guess, not going to beat myself up over it now.

That said, I don't know why Michael Young would have reconditioned this bracelet for good money back then and wouldn't have told me it was a fake at the time. That's the only part that's upsetting me now actually.
10 years ago he probably needed the money?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 02:24 AM   #17
mineral
"TRF" Member

I have same feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That's surprising that MY didn't say anything.
MY at least should notify before repair it.
Old 5 May 2016, 05:37 AM   #18
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

These originally came on a President or on leather,
Ignore this - I thought I was writing about an 1803.

This would have come on a Jubilee or an Oyster, but I'm not entirely sure of the options for this model.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 06:00 AM   #19
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
MY at least should notify before repair it.
I've used him several times and am somewhat conflicted about this issue. He should have known back then (or at least now should know) what's real and what's not. Now, the next question is should he provide an evaluation if not prompted to do so?

If he's not asked directly, is it possible to think that he assumes his customers know what they own (especially if they don't ask for an authenticity check)? Maybe he feels it rude to point out that a customer's piece is fake if they don't ask (could be a cultural thing, for all I know).

For example, my grandfather ("GF") leaves me a beautiful bubble back with a worn out, fake bracelet. I want the bracelet restored so that I can wear my GF's piece again just like he did. I don't care that it's fake because the value to me is in the memories of my GF's love for his watch; my only care is that it's functional while retaining the charm my GF gave it. Seems reasonable to me? On the same token, I wouldn't be insulted if MY told me it was fake just as a "FYI", but maybe someone else would get insulted? I don't know, just putting out possibilities.

Note: I'm curious to hear from someone from/around this culture as to the validity of any cultural norm argument to be made here (I'm looking to you, Adam ).

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 08:31 AM   #20
Old Expat Beast

Did MY fix it with 18k gold pins?
Old 5 May 2016, 09:35 AM   #21
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Did MY fix it with 18k gold pins?
I'll check tonight.
Old 5 May 2016, 11:31 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I've used him several times and am somewhat conflicted about this issue. He should have known back then (or at least now should know) what's real and what's not. Now, the next question is should he provide an evaluation if not prompted to do so?

If he's not asked directly, is it possible to think that he assumes his customers know what they own (especially if they don't ask for an authenticity check)? Maybe he feels it rude to point out that a customer's piece is fake if they don't ask (could be a cultural thing, for all I know).

For example, my grandfather ("GF") leaves me a beautiful bubble back with a worn out, fake bracelet. I want the bracelet restored so that I can wear my GF's piece again just like he did. I don't care that it's fake because the value to me is in the memories of my GF's love for his watch; my only care is that it's functional while retaining the charm my GF gave it. Seems reasonable to me? On the same token, I wouldn't be insulted if MY told me it was fake just as a "FYI", but maybe someone else would get insulted? I don't know, just putting out possibilities.

Note: I'm curious to hear from someone from/around this culture as to the validity of any cultural norm argument to be made here (I'm looking to you, Adam ).
It would depend on the individual, Robby. Culture aside, if it was an SS bracelet I could maybe understand, but for a gold bracelet, I believe gold pins are used, making it a much more expensive fix. So in this case, I think a heads-up would be in order, if it was noticed that the bracelet is fake and only gold plated or whatever.
Old 5 May 2016, 05:19 PM   #23
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

MY isn't an AD or Rolex authorised repair agent, you send him stuff, he fixes it up, don't see any reason he'd feel he'd have to critically inspect parts as to their authenticity.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 05:39 PM   #24
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Getting back to the bracelet, the positioning of the 8385 is incorrect.
Nobody.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 05:50 PM   #25
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody.Move View Post
Getting back to the bracelet, the positioning of the 8385 is incorrect.
Would you please elaborate on this? Do you in fact mean the "orientation" (that the characters of "8385" are facing "out" from the middle-line of the clasp rather than facing into it)?

H
Old 6 May 2016, 09:24 AM   #26
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Sorry to hear about this. Put that baby back on a strap. I really, really like this reference with the grey dial in YG. What a great combination. After you posted pictures of it, I was looking all over the web for one...

I have used MY many times and have always been pleased with his work and service.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 03:15 PM   #27
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Put that baby back on a strap. I really, really like this reference with the grey dial in YG. What a great combination. After you posted pictures of it, I was looking all over the web for one...

I have used MY many times and have always been pleased with his work and service.
Thanks, I do like it on a strap but the thing is that I've determined that I'm a bracelet guy when it comes to Rolex. I'll wear my Omega Speedmaster Pro on a leather strap for a casual Friday change-up, but I've come to the personal realization that to make a Rolex pay off like a Rolex, it has to be on a shiny bracelet. My Rolexes just don't feel the same on straps, I feel like half the design, elegance, and power of the overall watch is in the bracelet and something is missing when it's gone.

So until I can figure out my next move on either spending big $ on a period gold bracelet or selling the watch and ending the gold experience....

Is it completely against the rules to ask advice on an aftermarket gold bracelet to tide me over for a few weeks to decide? Am I allowed to ask for recommendations on near-perfect representations of gold Oysters, Jubilees, and Presidents? I don't want to go to forum jail or have others think less of me, but I can't enjoy my new 1601 on leather and I need some time with a gold bracelet to see if I really love the look before committing to tracking down an authentic. The one I have now is a joke and a reminder of a mistake. Are there high-quality reproductions that I can use for awhile and then make a decision? I've seen some online, I think Hadley Roma even makes some, anyone play with these for a few weeks perhaps when their bracelet was in the shop?
Old 6 May 2016, 03:25 PM   #28
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Personally I think the bracelet makes the president watch. Don't give up. Just to satisfy ur itch, find an aftermarket one on eBay n use it temporarily until u find the real deal. Here is my OP with aftermarket bracelet. We don't encourage it here but hey it's ur watch.

Old 6 May 2016, 03:47 PM   #29
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Personally I think the bracelet makes the president watch. Don't give up. Just to satisfy ur itch, find an aftermarket one on eBay n use it temporarily until u find the real deal. Here is my OP with aftermarket bracelet. We don't encourage it here but hey it's ur watch.

Thanks omito, that's a relief. I know here at TRF it is all about authenticity and all of my Rolexes are spot-on in that regard (proof above, not necessary perhaps but I feel compelled) except for this bracelet mess which I thought I was covered on a decade ago.

Are there any aftermarket brands that are better than the rest? If I'm going to spend $100+ on a gold Oyster, Jubilee, or President bracelet reproduction and want to live with it for a few weeks, I want it to look as correct as possible.
Old 6 May 2016, 05:32 PM   #30
omitohud
"TRF" Member

PM sent.