The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2020, 12:18 PM   #1
SC197
"TRF" Member

Omega Seamaster 300m Bracelet

Hi all,

Got a couple questions for the seamaster 300m bracelet...

Last year I bought the new seamaster 300m (grey dial) on the SS bracelet. I had recently switched to the blue rubber bracelet because I like the feel/color combination better, plus I thought a tool watch with a rubber strap is really fitting.

However,
1. Even though I switched to the rubber bracelet, I never had any issue with the SS bracelet. Can someone explain to me why the omega SS bracelet gets so much hate? I know it doesnt taper and it's not nearly as comfortable as the rolex jubilee, but I dont think the optics is that bad or it's uncomfortable by any means...

2. While I had the SS bracelet on my watch, it did get quite a few marks/scratches in the bottom especially at the clasp area. Is there any way to get it repolished/cleaned up?

Thanks!
SC197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I've never heard that there was anything wrong with the Seamaster bracelets.

As to desk diving scratches, it happens to all bracelets, buckles, and the furniture it drags against.

Any brushed clasp is easily touched up with 3m Scotch Bright pads
Old 28 November 2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Great question. I own an SMPc but have worn PO, Speedy, AT and I’ve always felt the SS bracelets are thick and cumbersome, especially around the clasps as they don’t taper like many other brands, causing the bracelets to feel somewhat noticeable on the underside of the wrist. Also, some of the styles tend to be a bit flashy and busy (my SMPc most of all). It was also odd that Omega decided to write “PUSH” on the clasps with the retractable diver extension as it looked out of place on an overall beautiful dive watch. And for some reason Omega always has a slight gap between the end link and lugs. None of that necessarily stops me from loving the brand and proudly wearing one, but they are notable issues IMO.

Don’t worry about all the scratches. The first few definitely hurt but after a few years there are too many to count. You’ll most likely be the only one to notice them anyway. If you don’t feel comfortable buffing them out yourself, most jewelers can polish it for a small fee. I’ve had that done before but then I’m right back to worrying about getting new scratches so now I just keep the scratches and wear my watches without concern.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:37 PM   #4
greengold
Banned

Weird! I'm in exactly same position!! Had mine on bracelet two years and today decided i'd like to get the blue rubber but its not aval from Omega annoyingly you have to order from an AD?! I agree I tried one in the store and it felt SO comfortable and light but still looked classy as I was worried it might look cheap on rubber but not at all
My only question is how hard is it to swap between the two and does the tool come in the watch box? (im too lazy to check lol)
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Weird! I'm in exactly same position!! Had mine on bracelet two years and today decided i'd like to get the blue rubber but its not aval from Omega annoyingly you have to order from an AD?! I agree I tried one in the store and it felt SO comfortable and light but still looked classy as I was worried it might look cheap on rubber but not at all
My only question is how hard is it to swap between the two and does the tool come in the watch box? (im too lazy to check lol)
Very easy to swap between the two. I change bracelets and straps out a couple times a week. I bought the rubber strap a few years ago from the AD and there was no tool included. I use a Bergeon 6111 but there are similar tools available for a little less. Fyi...when you purchase the strap, ask the AD for a few extra spring bars so you have extras.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:04 PM   #6
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Boutique at Bellagio had blue one and a buckle in stock when I asked a few months ago. I drove over and picked them up ASAP. Great upgrade for using in the ocean and pool water.

The bracelets on the older SMP were more comfortable than the new micro adjust. This new one would need a good polishing to round off all the razor sharp CNC edges. I could cut paper with the sides of my bracelet and the small center piece of the clasp would leave red marks on my wrist. I shelved it once I got the rubber and won't put it back on unless selling in the future.
Old 28 November 2020, 06:04 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

For me it’s the clasp on the newer bracelets. Clumpy and bulky and quite unattractive in my opinion. I bought a Seamaster 300 on a nato, and recently went to look at adding bracelet or strap. The strap was so much more comfortable.
Old 28 November 2020, 11:11 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I'm not a big fan of the five piece design they use. Looks like they were trying to dress it up with the pattern and mix of brushed and polished elements. For this watch I would have preferred a simpler three piece design similar to Tudor and Rolex with no polished surfaces. Additionally I really think there needs to be more taper down to the clasp. Just gives it a bulky look. Bought mine on the fantastic rubber strap and have no intention of adding a bracelet. This watch is so perfect on rubber.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:09 AM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I find the SMP 300m very uncomfortable. Too heavy, too thick, too unrefined. The machined edges feel sharp on the wrist. Lack of taper on the bracelet is a negative, in my opinion. The clasp is well constructed and has a great microadjustment, but it's way too big. The bracelet & clasp overall add to the general bulk of the watch and makes it feel even larger and heavier. Great for someone with a big wrist, not too good for average or small wrists.

This was almost a deal-breaker for me until I got the rubber bracelet, and then the experience of wearing the watch was tolerable. In my experience, the SMP 300m can only be worn on the rubber and is best paired with the factory OEM rubber.

The opposite experience lends true of my Oyster bracelets on the OP and Explorer 1. Those bracelets are supremely comfortable, sitting like a fine silk, no sharp unrefined edges, perfect taper, perfect clasps, perfect weight. The EZlink integrated microadjustment adds no bulk and is an extremely effective tool-less solution for on-the-go comfort adjustment. You can tell that there was an actual concerted effort into the design, research, and development of the engineering of the Rolex bracelet & clasp. It's absolutely balanced and a delight to wear. Has never pulled any of my arm hairs (of which I have an abundant supply). I feel that the Rolex should never be removed from its oyster bracelet -- and I am the type of person who NEVER used to wear a watch on the metal bracelet before I started wearing Rolex. THAT is why they earn the Crown.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:15 AM   #10
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Boutique at Bellagio had blue one and a buckle in stock when I asked a few months ago. I drove over and picked them up ASAP. Great upgrade for using in the ocean and pool water.

The bracelets on the older SMP were more comfortable than the new micro adjust. This new one would need a good polishing to round off all the razor sharp CNC edges. I could cut paper with the sides of my bracelet and the small center piece of the clasp would leave red marks on my wrist. I shelved it once I got the rubber and won't put it back on unless selling in the future.
Bingo! Did Omega even try on their own watch??? Did none of their executives sit down and wear the thing for a week? It's really dumb-founding.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:35 AM   #11
SC197
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the feedback fellas, definitely interesting to get everyone's perspective.

In general, I agree that the OEM rubber looks fantastic and create a great wearing experience. I just never had an issue with the sharp edges mentioned above. I can definitely see how the clasp is too bulky for some people. As for the taper, to me personally it's something that would be nice to have but not a deal breaker, but I guess it's that kind of detail that makes watch collecting fun.
SC197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Prior generation Seamaster bracelet was pretty comfortable. They just didn’t have an adjustable clasp. I stopped wearing mine on a bracelet because I wasn’t a huge fan of the design.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:31 AM   #13
Tringer
"TRF" Member

Interesting comments. I appreciate the lack of taper leaves it less refined than a sub bracelet but it is meant to look more sporty and that thickness fits the bill for that purpose. On comfort I have had zero issues. Find it incredible comfortable even at the end of a long day of wear.
Tringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:24 AM   #14
greengold
Banned

I'm ordering the rubber for christmas - question how do you swap it out from bracelet? Assume you need extra spring bars or can you use the ones in already? Plus what tool?
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 12:49 AM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm ordering the rubber for christmas - question how do you swap it out from bracelet? Assume you need extra spring bars or can you use the ones in already? Plus what tool?

Any spring bar tool will do.
If I recall correctly, you can use the same spring bars. Can’t remember if my rubber strap came with its own spring bars when I ordered .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 12:54 AM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
If I recall correctly, you can use the same spring bars. Can’t remember if my rubber strap came with its own spring bars when I ordered .

Yes, the same spring bars. Just buy a Bergeon tool from the web and make sure you tape the lugs. It becomes easy with practice.

Personally, I would not get the pliers - I’ve never found they work. Just do one side at a time and take your time and all will be well.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 12:55 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Yes, the same spring bars. Just buy a Bergeon tool from the web and make sure you tape the lugs. It becomes easy with practice.

Personally, I would not get the pliers - I’ve never found they work. Just do one side at a time and take your time and all will be well.

Agree with this for omega. For Rolex though I do prefer the tweezers/pliers.

Old 30 November 2020, 01:07 AM   #18
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Agree with this for omega. For Rolex though I do prefer the tweezers/pliers.

Agreed - even for Rolex though, I could never get it done properly with pliers. Maybe I got a duff set...I ended up throwing away and using the tool.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 01:48 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Might want to double-check the spring bars. I know Omega uses different spring bars for their bracelets vs leather straps. Not sure if they do the same for the rubber straps. Might be worth a call to an AD to check with their suppliers. The straps typically is the longer and thicker spring bars.

Old 30 November 2020, 01:50 AM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

When I ordered my rubber strap I didn’t order spring bars separately... so they either come w the strap or the bracelet bars fit . Either way, OP should be fine ordering the strap

Old 30 November 2020, 04:18 AM   #21
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
It’s not as comfortable as a sub bracelet. Watch is heavier, slightly more top heavy and lack of taper, big clasp and harsh edges are an issue. It’s not awful by any means but it’s quite hefty. It would 100 per cent be more comfy on rubber. I might see if they can source me one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 04:49 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
When I ordered my rubber strap I didn’t order spring bars separately... so they either come w the strap or the bracelet bars fit . Either way, OP should be fine ordering the strap

And when I ordered my leather strap for my moonphase I didn't order spring bars separately. And wouldn't you know, they required different spring bars. Yes the OP should be fine ordering the strap, and yes the OP should also check with the manufacturer to see if he needs to purchase a new set of spring bars as well.

Old 30 November 2020, 04:56 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Omega Seamaster 300m Bracelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
And when I ordered my leather strap for my moonphase I didn't order spring bars separately. And wouldn't you know, they required different spring bars. Yes the OP should be fine ordering the strap, and yes the OP should also check with the manufacturer to see if he needs to purchase a new set of spring bars as well.

My point is he doesn’t .

OP, just checked for you- spring bars on bracelet work w the rubber strap . Cheers.z

Old 30 November 2020, 07:47 AM   #24
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My point is he doesn’t .

OP, just checked for you- spring bars on bracelet work w the rubber strap . Cheers.z

Thanks for checking. That's all I was asking. I was curious as well.
Old 28 December 2020, 11:03 PM   #25
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC197 View Post
Hi all,

Got a couple questions for the seamaster 300m bracelet...

Last year I bought the new seamaster 300m (grey dial) on the SS bracelet. I had recently switched to the blue rubber bracelet because I like the feel/color combination better, plus I thought a tool watch with a rubber strap is really fitting.

However,
1. Even though I switched to the rubber bracelet, I never had any issue with the SS bracelet. Can someone explain to me why the omega SS bracelet gets so much hate? I know it doesnt taper and it's not nearly as comfortable as the rolex jubilee, but I dont think the optics is that bad or it's uncomfortable by any means...

2. While I had the SS bracelet on my watch, it did get quite a few marks/scratches in the bottom especially at the clasp area. Is there any way to get it repolished/cleaned up?

Thanks!
I'm very happy with the bracelet on my Seamaster 300M. I do hate scratches and it seems that the clasp is where most of them pop up so here's what I do to eliminate them:

I use the same 3M paint protection film employed to protect automobile paint. In the past, I've applied it myself to my Harley and have had it professionally applied to my cars. I thought if the film would protect automotive paint from rock chips, it might also save the clasp of my new Seamaster. The film is available on Amazon as VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 4" x 12." I applied the film with the same methods used on vehicles after I cut it to fit the exact size of my clasp. I used an Exacto knife and made sure that there was no overlap over the edge of the clasp to avoid peeling. Next, I used a solution of alcohol and distilled water for the application. It took me a couple of tries to get the size right, but I'm happy with the result as the clasp on my beautiful watch is scratch free.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 04:09 AM   #26
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
The somewhat fussy bracelet doesn't appeal to more conservative men's tastes. Dressy divers they used to call them.
phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:19 AM   #27
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I am the only guy in this universe who prefers the SMP300 bracelet and finds it to be WAY more comfortable than the Oyster bracelet on Rolex.

I also think Oyster bracelet is uncomfortable with its edges and a long schlong clasp that's almost as long as Julia Roberts' legs.

People are like flock, when one reviewer mentions something only to be unique, million others flock and signup and train their thinking to match.

That's why social media influencers are so famous and make millions.

Look what Adrian at Bark&Jack did to SMP 300 Diver in White. Wait for another famous YouTube guy to make another video about it and that thing will be sold out at most Omega ADs.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:54 PM   #28
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
I am the only guy in this universe who prefers the SMP300 bracelet and finds it to be WAY more comfortable than the Oyster bracelet on Rolex.

I also think Oyster bracelet is uncomfortable with its edges and a long schlong clasp that's almost as long as Julia Roberts' legs.

People are like flock, when one reviewer mentions something only to be unique, million others flock and signup and train their thinking to match.

That's why social media influencers are so famous and make millions.

Look what Adrian at Bark&Jack did to SMP 300 Diver in White. Wait for another famous YouTube guy to make another video about it and that thing will be sold out at most Omega ADs.
Nope you're not the only guy. I agree with you and love the adjustability on my Seamaster 300m band.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote