The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 February 2024, 04:09 AM   #1
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Interesting comment on new independents

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3a5...951261822a4096

At about 46 minutes mark on how some of the new independents are not as creative.

As a disclaimer. I do like a lot of the new comers but at the same time, there is an oz of truth in the observation.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 03:50 AM   #2
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Didn't listen to the podcast but I don't disagree with lack of creativity. I like nicely finished watches, but it seems like the formula is add some guilloche and high polish some bridges. Need a distinguishing feature.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 04:04 AM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Launching a new brand is way less capital intensive than before, so this makes sense.

It's just any other consumer category.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Seems like a natural consequence of an already crowded field with so much already having been done.

It's increasingly harder to bring new and interesting designs and craftsmanship.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 05:23 AM   #5
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
The only independents/microbrands that really catch my eye lately are JN Shapiro (out of LA, eye-wateringly beautiful & expensive) & RGM (out of PA, some pieces appeal to me, some in-house movements/modifications, watches are for the most part too large).

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 03:50 PM   #6
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I like to folow the guest of the podcast, Oliver R Muller. He shares a lot of insights in the Swiss watch industry. Pity though he mostly publishes his articles in French.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:30 PM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Just look at all the hyped up new indies in the past several years, I’m failing to think of one that does anything innovative. Even on the design side, with the exception of Akrivia I cannot think of another interesting or fresh design. And even Akrivia has taken a back seat to RR now.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:22 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
We basically have a few dozen indies trying to recreate Breguet or Dufour. Many of these even though they make beautiful watches probably won’t survive. There needs to be a vision behind the brand and a unique design language imho.
Old 24 February 2024, 05:36 AM   #9
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Just look at all the hyped up new indies in the past several years, I’m failing to think of one that does anything innovative. Even on the design side, with the exception of Akrivia I cannot think of another interesting or fresh design. And even Akrivia has taken a back seat to RR now.
Read your post. First thought, easily: Krayon.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 06:33 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
There needs to be a vision behind the brand and a unique design language imho.
Sooo much this!

Did not listen to the... so am assuming we're talking about TRUE independent watchMAKERS and not just guys slapping together various 'custom' bits into a case. Nothing wrong with custom bits into a case, and for a few hundred bucks there are some fun pieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 07:18 AM   #11
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Armin Strom
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 05:51 PM   #12
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
It always comes back to “get what you like.” Way too hard to predict which brands will be the next “thing” whatever that means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:55 PM   #13
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I'm surprised the crowd of self proclaimed all watch lover and watch loving independent collectors are not bashing the OP for this thread, while i get bashed every time i make a comment on how independents are not innovating at all despite what they all claim (and what a number of cult followers on TRF claim too) and that they do nothing for me, and that buyers should be extremely careful if they care about long term ownership including service, value etc.

Anyway, agree with you OP, many "independents" thought they could make big bucks by capitalizing on the last 3 years' state of affairs - I wish them all the best, but i have a feeling that I will be the last one laughing when they all join back under well established watchmaking companies.
John Doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 01:16 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Armin Strom

May i humbly add MB&F please.

H. Moser's double hairsprings is a nice innovation too imho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:07 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

May i humbly add MB&F please.

H. Moser's double hairsprings is a nice innovation too imho
In the interview, I think MB&F, Urwerk, GF and FPJ were mentioned as being creative. But the comment was on the newcomers and these are “old timers”.

If you watch the LVMH watch award interview with Jean Arnault. It explains why Raul Pages was selected. I was disappointed that Simon Brette did not get picked but I can see why. The shock resistant dente escapement is more of a technical innovation. And Raul Pages is being recognized for it on top of a beautiful piece.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:00 AM   #16
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by break View Post
Read your post. First thought, easily: Krayon.
Seriously, though, gang: look at Krayon.

Old 27 February 2024, 12:14 AM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I'm surprised the crowd of self proclaimed all watch lover and watch loving independent collectors are not bashing the OP for this thread, while i get bashed every time i make a comment on how independents are not innovating at all despite what they all claim (and what a number of cult followers on TRF claim too) and that they do nothing for me, and that buyers should be extremely careful if they care about long term ownership including service, value etc.

Anyway, agree with you OP, many "independents" thought they could make big bucks by capitalizing on the last 3 years' state of affairs - I wish them all the best, but i have a feeling that I will be the last one laughing when they all join back under well established watchmaking companies.
To be fair, Doyle, you probably get bashed because you're making overly exaggerated blanket comments to prove yourself right (i.e.) "...independents are not innovating at all." You know that's not true.

Are there some specific non-innovative independent brands who have popped up in the last 3 years "to cash in" that you'd like to mention? Or does this apply to all independents?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 06:55 AM   #18
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Are there some specific non-innovative independent brands who have popped up in the last 3 years "to cash in" that you'd like to mention? Or does this apply to all independents?
Yeah that damned Felipe Pikullik and his cash-grabbing efforts to teach handcrafted watchmaking skills to a new generation of artisans. So money-hungry.