The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 March 2023, 03:21 AM   #31
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This one is my favorite - The Chopard Alpine Eagle XL Chronograph:

Image from monochrome-watches.com

Image from monochrome-watches.com
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 04:48 AM   #32
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great watches, very bad resale. See what kind of discount you can get and then see if it is available pre-owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
They've got some watches I really like. As long as the piece makes you happy it's totally worth consideration for purchasing.
Agree with William here - if you go pre-owned, you'll be fine but if buying new, you'll take a hit. At the end of the day though, if it makes you happy, then all good!

I bought my AE from the NYC boutique and I really like it. The only thing I wish they differently is the taper of the bracelet - it's nonexistent. Other than that, it's a great watch with top-notch materials.

JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 05:03 AM   #33
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss205 View Post
Anyone happen to know the availability of the green dial Alpine Eagle? I don't see many online, and the website doesn't show the watch as available to add in cart.
The green with the regular roman numerals are not limited but sold in boutiques only, they are hard to get though.

The green with arabic numerals is limited to 100pcs and only available in middle eastern boutiques.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 07:38 AM   #34
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
The sound is as crystal clear and pure as you have heard from the Full Strike minute repeaters. According to KFS, Chopard crafted the single strike to last longer than the minute repeater strikes, as there is only one strike to hear (I have no idea how they accomplished this). The sound is audible under a cuff but not so loud as to be noticeable over significant ambient noise. In the Revolution video, KFS remarks that the original Strike One had to be held up to the ear to be heard. That is certainly not the case with the new version. I have not heard the non-crystal gong versions of the Strike One nor the CW Bel Canto, so I have no standard for comparison.

I leave the striking train on by default, unless I am in an environment where any sound is frowned upon. It is a delightful hourly surprise that always prompts me to look at the watch, which is lovely. The Metalem dial is gorgeous; an 18K base with a galvanized Ruthenium coating and RG faceted stick indices. In any light, there is substantial action and life to the dial. The honeycomb guilloche pattern is beautifully executed and is constantly changing as light plays across the dial. The faceted indices also play well with light, but not all at the same time, so there is movement in the reflections. The dial and dial furniture is truly the embodiment of Chopard's skill as a jewelry maker.

The watch is 40 mm X 9.86 mm, with a lug to lug of 47.22 mm. It wears visually well and physically comfortably on my 7 inch wrist. That said, it wears visually larger than its physical dimensions. I attribute this to the sapphire ring around the dial, coupled with a very narrow bezel. There is no negative space on the dial, but it still looks big. There is also a significant ring around the display case back (not surprising, as the 96.1 movement which is the base for this watch was designed for a 36 mm case). If it were possible with the striking mechanism, I would prefer the watch to be 38 mm for visual purposes. That said, the original Strike One was 41 mm, so the striking mechanism may require a larger case. Of course, the 1860 XPS is also 40 mm, so the size may simply be an aesthetic choice by Chopard.

Much has been written about the 96.1 movement, so I won't speak to its many strengths. The 96-32.L movement in the Strike One is the 96.1 base with a chiming module on top. The ceramic ball bearings on the winding mechanism do make some noise, so if a silent rotor is a requirement for happiness, one will be disappointed. It is a positive sound that is neither constant nor cheap sounding, so it is not grating. The movement also makes a small clicking noise at 5 minutes past the hour when the striking train is activated. I am told that this is due to the spring for the hammer resetting.

The Strike One is both COSC Certified and carries the Geneva Seal, signifying excellence in both accuracy and finissage.

I have yet to find a perfect watch for me, and this one isn't either, but it has many charms, both visual and auditory. The combination of technical prowess, movement finissage, timing precision, stunning habillage, and a lovely audible strike is not readily available elsewhere.

Hello Athens, thank you for the exceptional explanation and experience on this piece. I am so in with the Strike One! Congratulations again for your first Chopard.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 01:55 PM   #35
sss205
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
The green with the regular roman numerals are not limited but sold in boutiques only, they are hard to get though.

The green with arabic numerals is limited to 100pcs and only available in middle eastern boutiques.
Yes the regular pine green one is the one I am interested in. Heading to NYC next week and will pop into the boutique to see what's the wait like
sss205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 02:34 PM   #36
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Yes the regular pine green one is the one I am interested in. Heading to NYC next week and will pop into the boutique to see what's the wait like
Yep..That green dial is absolutely stunning. I just hate that I can't get a discount at a boutique from what I have been told.

Speaking of dials, the new release of the all gold AE with the gold dial might be one of the most beautiful dials sold today. It's ridiculous. I can't afford full PM pieces unfortunately, but I could stare at the gold dial forever!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 02:35 PM   #37
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
Lol sorry for the above posts, clearly still learning.

This is my first LUC and I love it

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Wow! That is one beautiful watch Craig.
Old 11 March 2023, 04:58 AM   #38
991C4S
2024 Pledge Member

I am a huge Chopard fan, specifically the LUC line. Extremely underrated brand with lots of heritage. Great range, haute horology. I am hoping to get the Alpine Eagle soon. However, it is at a bad time as I should be getting a 15500 RO soon. Here is my LUC 1860 XPS below, its one of my most worn in the stable:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Chopard.jpeg (280.1 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpeg Chopard 2.jpeg (160.6 KB, 504 views)
Rolex Datejust II 116300 x Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040
991C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 09:21 AM   #39
Guppydriver

Quote:
Just realized the Pine green model carries a $1500 premium over the blue dial. Nothing different, just the color. Grrrrrr
Old 18 June 2023, 09:29 PM   #40
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I am seriously thinking about getting the alpine eagle (blue dial). I tried it yesterday at an AD and loved it. I think the watch gets unnecessary criticism (it doesnt feel like AP or Patek and felt its own watch). The dial, bracelet and case is all top notch. Feels luxurious yet sporty and bit toolish (not as blingy as I thought it would).

Didnt want to take it off. Very impressed. I will highly recommend to try it in person.

Interestingly, the other watch I am thinking about for daily wear is 16600 but I am leaning more towards the alpine eagle. More unique, much better quality, more interesting, harder steel and so on and so forth and almost the same price in secondary market.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 01:24 AM   #41
Ross E.!
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 + 116500
Anything with the 1.96 or 1.98

Is on par with some of the best. Highly recommend.
Ross E.! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 02:44 AM   #42
Timetaker34
"TRF" Member

Incredibly underrated brand. Love the in house movements and one of the few Geneva Seal ones out there too.

Had this one for a while and really enjoyed my time with it
Timetaker34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:37 AM   #43
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
Anyone rocking the Alpine Eagle XPS?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:47 PM   #44
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I have very recently gotten a chopard watch (Alpine Eagle - I have a thread on it). It is an amazing watch. Very impresssed.

So I have no doubt that the watch you have must be of very high quality as well.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2023, 03:16 AM   #45
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
I have very recently gotten a chopard watch (Alpine Eagle - I have a thread on it). It is an amazing watch. Very impresssed.

So I have no doubt that the watch you have must be of very high quality as well.
Thank you! Grabbed a few quick photos at an event – the XPS is a stunner indeed. The slimmed bezel, sub seconds, no date, and thin case come together for a very different feel on the wrist. Also bonus points for the boutique having fantastic salesmen.

Deciding between one of these in the near future or an Odysseys in the far, far, future. Or maybe a Santos.

CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:26 AM   #46
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This watch is so cool and the watch box sexy.

Limited to 50 pcs and USD 25,200 excl. taxes.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 01:46 AM   #47
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
This watch is so cool and the watch box sexy.

Limited to 50 pcs and USD 25,200 excl. taxes.
Surprised it’s not sold out yet
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:12 AM   #48
kunlun
"TRF" Member

The salmon dial version is so nice.

kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 04:06 AM   #49
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
The salmon dial version is so nice.
Yup, this is the one. I don't care for the Revolution limited edition.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 11:24 AM   #50
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Yup, this is the one. I don't care for the Revolution limited edition.
Really? I like both minus the “revolution” branding.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 12:15 PM   #51
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
Really? I like both minus the “revolution” branding.
Just not my colors.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 12:02 AM   #52
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoryellow View Post
Surprised it’s not sold out yet
All the 50 pieces have been sold as of today. All gone.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 02:38 AM   #53
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Well done to Chopard and Revolution. It took a while but they did it.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 07:45 AM   #54
991C4S
2024 Pledge Member

Here are my thoughts regarding Chopard. I posted this in the other recent Chopard thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991C4S View Post
I have two LUC's. A 1860 micro rotor and Quattro, and plan on getting a third soon. LUC is my favorite line. Many years ago I scrapped my collection and started over. Emphasizing only purchasing what I felt comfortable wearing and which brand I wanted to be associated with. Aside from the watches I have, Chopard is the brand I am most adamant about adding to and the only brand I have more then one of.

I'd love to get into an Alpine Eagle XPS soon.

I highly recommend. Value x finishing, heritage and prestige is tough to beat.
Rolex Datejust II 116300 x Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040
991C4S is offline   Reply With Quote