The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 2 July 2008, 12:36 AM   #1
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
Growth of trf, some change suggestions

I don't mean to impose any extra work on our mods, but in the last few months TRF has grown by many members, with sometimes over a 100 members visiting the general rolex forum. There are always a couple of responses to a thread and sometimes some get lost due to the amount of traffic. I was thinking of making more sub forums

Maybe a sub forum per model
And maybe a sub forum for needing help with something wrong with your watch and maybe one more subforum that could be used for when you first buy your watch to show pics and talk about all new purchases. Just my opinion, what do you all think?
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 12:57 AM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I ran a camera club that got sufficiently large. we broke down by brand and the other groups succeeded to a point on their own. As much as I love PAM and Omega and other watches I'd strip those from the board here. We can't do everything.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 01:28 AM   #3
AJF

Watch: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I ran a camera club that got sufficiently large. we broke down by brand and the other groups succeeded to a point on their own. As much as I love PAM and Omega and other watches I'd strip those from the board here. We can't do everything.
Totally agree. Not sure why any other brand gets a thread or more than a passing mention. This should be Rolex Rolex and Rolex all the way. Have a look at the For Sale section and you get a few non Rolex gatecrashers, despite the message from the Mods about posting in the right section.

AJF.
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 01:52 AM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

Well, I like alot of watches and I like the family nature of this forum. I shop on TZ for other watches/straps, but I don't like to post on TZ b/c of how "nasty" people are. I know this is a rolex forum first, but I like the Panerai, Omega, other categories. I do agree some sub forums for specific watche groups would be good, like lets say, sports v. dress. To be honest, I don't care about dress watches much at all, so it would be a nice filter for me to focus my attention. Yeah right, I'd read them all anyway!!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 01:53 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

but now that I think of it, isn't this in the wrong section!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a suggestions section!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoe View Post
I was thinking of making more sub forums

Maybe a sub forum per model
And maybe a sub forum for needing help with something wrong with your watch and maybe one more subforum that could be used for when you first buy your watch to show pics and talk about all new purchases. Just my opinion, what do you all think?
Is that another one of your aliases, Steve?

If you are going to make wholesale changes to the forums shouldn't we discuss this first over in the mod section?

Anywhoo, I suggest that we move this to the correct section.
Old 2 July 2008, 02:51 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You know, we just re-aligned the forum a couple of months ago to put all the Rolex discussion in one section, and expand it somewhat; the general stuff together, and the classifieds together.

We struggled for a while on even introducing another brand at all. In the end we thought it would be interesting to include what we considered to be the most competition for Rolex, Panerai and Omega, and follow the general trends and questions.

If we added everything, and split the boards up, then we would dilute the main focus of the Forum...Rolex watches.

This goes for model sub-groups and vintage sub-groups etc. Some would spend their time only on the one they are interested in and much valuable information and social discussion would be lost to the majority of the members..

But we are always open to any suggestion or discussion that would improve the forums for the enjoyment of the members.
Old 2 July 2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

There has always been a non-Rolex section, and I do think a lot of great discussions occur in that section.
However, it appeared that Omega and Panerai were the 2 most popular non-Rolex brands.
Having a major Rolex forum and not breaking it up, helps to maintain the 'community' spirit. If we break it up to models, vintage, modern etc. then you will tend to find less input and a sense of community.
If you go to the Rolex Reference Library, you can have separate threads for each model.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I guess it's all in the way we access the forum. I always head right for the New Posts first to see what the latest threads are. I only go to a specific board when I want to see what might be of interest there. So for me, I don't have a need to break up the boards into subgroups. In fact, I prefer that everything Rolex be in one place, everything General be in another place, and so on.

But, hey, that's just me.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 11:54 AM   #10
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Not to be too Polyannish here, but what makes TRF so different from any other forum on the net is the incredible sense of community and everyone's easy ability to comment on any and all subjects on the board. So, even tho I think Jose's got a point about the incredible amount traffic and some posts getting lost, I think if you do what Rockrolex does (and I do) and head to New Posts right away, you won't miss much.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 11:59 AM   #11
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
Not to be too Polyannish here, but what makes TRF so different from any other forum on the net is the incredible sense of community and everyone's easy ability to comment on any and all subjects on the board. So, even tho I think Jose's got a point about the incredible amount traffic and some posts getting lost, I think if you do what Rockrolex does (and I do) and head to New Posts right away, you won't miss much.

Ditto
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2008, 09:55 AM   #12
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
Maybe I'm not used to this new post thing, I will look into it. Bc everyone does have a point about the community feeling that you get in the general forum.

And I don't know who steve is but this is definately not one of his aliases. Pm me for my tel number and we can talk :)
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote