The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 February 2022, 08:55 PM   #1
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Chrono vs QP

Hi all, I'm looking to make the move into my first Patek piece, and I have narrowed it down between the black dial 5170R and the blue dial 5140P . It is a watch I am looking to wear almost daily as I will be offloading some basic pieces for it.

Many plus points for each that I love, but I'd like to hear some input from the guys with PP experience in which you'd choose and why

5170R-010
- Manual winding chronograph
- Beautiful movement
- Aesthetically pleasing and balanced dial (rg + breguet numerals + black dial)
- Was initially hunting for a RG piece as I was lacking one
- Able to tick sporty + dressy checklist
- 39.4mm size

5140P-001
- Grand complication QP
- Micro-rotor selfwinding
- Platinum case.. the top tier metal IMO
- Patek's signature diamond stone
- Clean and traditional look, the dial looks amazing
- 37mm size

Feel free to follow along with my watch journey!
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 09:16 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

PQ of course. Actually gives you a lot of useful functions/info. tho, usually an annual calendar is more than enough, and with the triple windows being more clean and clear.

A chrono is nice to look at, but nobody uses it really.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 09:19 PM   #3
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Chrono in this case. The dial on the 5140 looks quite cluttered.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 09:24 PM   #4
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
PQ of course. Actually gives you a lot of useful functions/info. tho, usually an annual calendar is more than enough, and with the triple windows being more clean and clear.

A chrono is nice to look at, but nobody uses it really.
My thoughts as well. In terms of usability, the QP wins hands-down. I was initially hoping for a 5205R at retail, but I have no idea when that'll be and I might as well top up a little for the big boys.

Yes I agree with the chrono view. Just a more sporty feel to it and I do love the combo. Very torn!

Old 15 February 2022, 09:25 PM   #5
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
Chrono in this case. The dial on the 5140 looks quite cluttered.
Yeah, I have heard that from a few people as well. Many suggested the 3940P but they are very hard to come by. Plus, the price is a bit higher.

Old 15 February 2022, 09:59 PM   #6
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I recently made the move from 5170 to 5140.

For many years I loved my 5170 - that movement especially is sensational - every bit as dramatic and beautiful to look at as my 5070, and operates even better!

But I sub consciously began to reevaluate my 5170. Excluding the magnificent and beautiful 5170p where they got the dial perfect (and which I exclude from this review), I found the 5170 suddenly looking a little..... 'bland' .....for want of a better word. I feel the reference lacks a bit visual "oomph". This isn't meant to be confused with presence, I've got a 5980/1r for that. No, I felt the 5170 is a touch "unremarkable."

The second/minute counters below the mid line never bothered me before but suddenly it was a factor probably made worse by the arrival of my 5070. It means there's more numerals/indicators in the bottom half than the top half of the dial. (which is fine on the 5270 and 5204 as they have day/month indicators to offset that).
The 39mm size wore bigger than suggested (which was just about OK), but I felt the case was also unremarkable (unlike say a 5205 or the larger, newer 5172). The bezel was a little flat and the case didn't show enough complexity.

Ultimately, I think I just go bored of it.

Anyway, to replace it bought a brand new 5140p-013 - with black laquer and diamond dial. I felt it was a pretty rare incarnation of the 5140 making it a very rare watch generally.
I feel the size is just beautiful at 37.6mm and the small bezel means it's not a scratch magnet (which the 5170's bezel most certainly is). The case is simple but has more to catch you eye than the 5170.
But above all, I loved the fact that, in this black/diamond configuration with white characters, I found absolutely beautiful - it's not bland. It's just a very pretty thing.
It's not absolutely perfect of course, like say a 5970 dial, but it's gorgeous IMO and the busy dial gives you more to look at....

The 3940 was considered briefly - i have no problem with the smaller size, but again, although that watch is very beautifully balanced it's a little too classical looking for me and they don't have that dial variant with the colours, hour markets and text that I love.

Whether it's meant to be formal or not, I wear this 5140p with jeans, with a tux, with a blazer. I tend to find it pretty versatile but then I don't wear shorts nor live in San Diego..

I'll try to post a few pics - one from my wrist and one from Phillips Auction site which I saw and made me run to my AD.

Hope this helped.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 11:03 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The manual chrono has a more breathtaking movement but I'm more of a calendar fan. I like the blue dial and size of the 5140P and I would prefer that to the 5170R. If it were a 5170P comparison instead, I will choose the 5170P over 5140P.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 11:38 PM   #8
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I recently made the move from 5170 to 5140.

For many years I loved my 5170 - that movement especially is sensational - every bit as dramatic and beautiful to look at as my 5070, and operates even better!

But I sub consciously began to reevaluate my 5170. Excluding the magnificent and beautiful 5170p where they got the dial perfect (and which I exclude from this review), I found the 5170 suddenly looking a little..... 'bland' .....for want of a better word. I feel the reference lacks a bit visual "oomph". This isn't meant to be confused with presence, I've got a 5980/1r for that. No, I felt the 5170 is a touch "unremarkable."

The second/minute counters below the mid line never bothered me before but suddenly it was a factor probably made worse by the arrival of my 5070. It means there's more numerals/indicators in the bottom half than the top half of the dial. (which is fine on the 5270 and 5204 as they have day/month indicators to offset that).
The 39mm size wore bigger than suggested (which was just about OK), but I felt the case was also unremarkable (unlike say a 5205 or the larger, newer 5172). The bezel was a little flat and the case didn't show enough complexity.

Ultimately, I think I just go bored of it.

Anyway, to replace it bought a brand new 5140p-013 - with black laquer and diamond dial. I felt it was a pretty rare incarnation of the 5140 making it a very rare watch generally.
I feel the size is just beautiful at 37.6mm and the small bezel means it's not a scratch magnet (which the 5170's bezel most certainly is). The case is simple but has more to catch you eye than the 5170.
But above all, I loved the fact that, in this black/diamond configuration with white characters, I found absolutely beautiful - it's not bland. It's just a very pretty thing.
It's not absolutely perfect of course, like say a 5970 dial, but it's gorgeous IMO and the busy dial gives you more to look at....

The 3940 was considered briefly - i have no problem with the smaller size, but again, although that watch is very beautifully balanced it's a little too classical looking for me and they don't have that dial variant with the colours, hour markets and text that I love.

Whether it's meant to be formal or not, I wear this 5140p with jeans, with a tux, with a blazer. I tend to find it pretty versatile but then I don't wear shorts nor live in San Diego..

I'll try to post a few pics - one from my wrist and one from Phillips Auction site which I saw and made me run to my AD.

Hope this helped.
Never would've thought someone could relate to this dilemma so closely!

If you never shared with me, I would've never had considered the points that you made. I personally actually quite like the second/minute counters slightly below the mid line! Well, maybe because I don't have an incoming 5070 hahah. I tried a 5170G and I do agree that the size wore a little bigger (but not a dealbreaker). Good to hear about the bezel and case dimensions.

The 5140P-013 is gorgeous with the black laquer + diamond markers. Definitely not something you'll see very often if at all. Details-wise for the dial the QP wins hands down for sure. I do feel like it works and isn't overly jumbled as some may feel!

I look forward to your photos! Thank you very much for sharing your experience

Old 15 February 2022, 11:52 PM   #9
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The manual chrono has a more breathtaking movement but I'm more of a calendar fan. I like the blue dial and size of the 5140P and I would prefer that to the 5170R. If it were a 5170P comparison instead, I will choose the 5170P over 5140P.
For sure. I love the 5170P but sadly the price is out of my reach!

Old 16 February 2022, 12:34 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryehn View Post
For sure. I love the 5170P but sadly the price is out of my reach!
One more observation of the 5140P - the 27 and 5 along the date sub-dial are "squashed". I'm ok with it but some do not like it.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 12:35 AM   #11
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Firstly... I love this post as it includes photos of the pieces you are considering. So I don't have to google the references. Most kind :)

Secondly... ooof. Tough one. I lean more to the Chrono..... but.... barely. 51% Chrono 49% QP.

Can't go wrong to be honest.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 01:03 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The answer is to get both eventually.

I own the 5140P and the 5170G. I got the 5140P first and the 5170G soon afterwards. Both great watches
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 01:34 AM   #13
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

It's such a personal choice and I love both but between those two I'd lean towards the 5170. I'm a chrono guy in general and the QP looks a little more cluttered to me, but as others have said it's a nice dilemma to have and you can't go wrong either way.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 02:42 AM   #14
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One more observation of the 5140P - the 27 and 5 along the date sub-dial are "squashed". I'm ok with it but some do not like it.
Oh yes I did notice that as well. Doesn’t bother me too much, I feel like it’s more of a quirk! 😁

Old 16 February 2022, 02:44 AM   #15
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
Firstly... I love this post as it includes photos of the pieces you are considering. So I don't have to google the references. Most kind :)

Secondly... ooof. Tough one. I lean more to the Chrono..... but.... barely. 51% Chrono 49% QP.

Can't go wrong to be honest.
Hahaha I know that is my frustration at times while browsing. Plus, these photos really show the beauty in the two watches.

I know..it really is a tough choice. I think after all, it depends which ones come up for sale. They are both rare pieces to appear!

Old 16 February 2022, 02:47 AM   #16
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The answer is to get both eventually.

I own the 5140P and the 5170G. I got the 5140P first and the 5170G soon afterwards. Both great watches
I agree.. that would definitely solve my dilemma 😂. In time, hopefully.

Which do you get more wear out of? Or which do you get bored staring at first? Both incredibly beautiful but I’m sure you have a favourite!

Old 16 February 2022, 02:50 AM   #17
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
It's such a personal choice and I love both but between those two I'd lean towards the 5170. I'm a chrono guy in general and the QP looks a little more cluttered to me, but as others have said it's a nice dilemma to have and you can't go wrong either way.
For sure bro. Both have their pros and cons.

It is a bit different to experience them both in person as they are discontinued as well. Sometimes the photos just don’t cut it!

Old 16 February 2022, 03:55 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d always lean manual chrono. I just like them.
Old 16 February 2022, 03:58 AM   #19
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I'm also a chrono guy and the 5170 is fabulous in both black dial Breguet or pulsation white dial.

Its such a beautiful, clean and characterful dial.

Whilst I do agree the 5140 is a lot more practical, I do think Patek has done better implementations of the design, 3940 being a prime example, or if acceptable an annual calendar like the 5396 or 5205

If you are willing to drop a complication, the 5905r combines both, but me personally would prefer 2 separate watches.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 04:19 AM   #20
Vasco
"TRF" Member

You have made a very appealing selection.

I tend to prefer chronos but, I join many here in saying both are excellent choices.

What I do usually is taking time to mature my experiences, thoughts...

I imagine myself during the day wearing one : which one would I enjoy aesthetically, would I be proud of a complication more than the other, is one more useful (I use chronos quite often), is the size okay considering this or than type of clothes (sleeves, jacket, T-shirt).

Another point : does the color enables me to find straps alternatives ? I personnally find difficult to chose something else than black with black dials (subjective of course). On the other hand, a grey dial allows a lot more colors (grey, blue, black, red, etc...).

Same with dial colors vs your outfit.

Rose gold is more visible (especially vs black) while the QP is less visible, maybe it is important to you (office, outside etc...).

I tried the 5140P grey dial and it looks so fine as well.

Try to see these rose gold/black dial watches from time to time in the real (even if not Pateks). Some get a little bored after a while. This QP is more timeless.

The most important is to buy what you enjoy (obviously) and then you can sell down the road if you feel like changing.

Enjoy the hunt and take you time.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 07:19 AM   #21
tylerad1
"TRF" Member

Can never go wrong with Breguet numerals...
tylerad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 08:39 AM   #22
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I'm also a chrono guy and the 5170 is fabulous in both black dial Breguet or pulsation white dial.

Its such a beautiful, clean and characterful dial.

Whilst I do agree the 5140 is a lot more practical, I do think Patek has done better implementations of the design, 3940 being a prime example, or if acceptable an annual calendar like the 5396 or 5205

If you are willing to drop a complication, the 5905r combines both, but me personally would prefer 2 separate watches.
Yes I totally agree. Personally I like both the 5140 and 3940 individually looks-wise, even tho the latter is more traditional. Out of the annual calendars the 5205R black dial is still my top choice.

I did also take a look at the 5905R but have decided that they are too thick for me and I did not like the dial layout as much as the 5205!

Old 16 February 2022, 08:49 AM   #23
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You have made a very appealing selection.

I tend to prefer chronos but, I join many here in saying both are excellent choices.

What I do usually is taking time to mature my experiences, thoughts...

I imagine myself during the day wearing one : which one would I enjoy aesthetically, would I be proud of a complication more than the other, is one more useful (I use chronos quite often), is the size okay considering this or than type of clothes (sleeves, jacket, T-shirt).

Another point : does the color enables me to find straps alternatives ? I personnally find difficult to chose something else than black with black dials (subjective of course). On the other hand, a grey dial allows a lot more colors (grey, blue, black, red, etc...).

Same with dial colors vs your outfit.

Rose gold is more visible (especially vs black) while the QP is less visible, maybe it is important to you (office, outside etc...).

I tried the 5140P grey dial and it looks so fine as well.

Try to see these rose gold/black dial watches from time to time in the real (even if not Pateks). Some get a little bored after a while. This QP is more timeless.

The most important is to buy what you enjoy (obviously) and then you can sell down the road if you feel like changing.

Enjoy the hunt and take you time.
Thanks for your comment! It really gave me a lot of considerations that I hadn’t thought about. It is meant to be a learning journey and not a race after all.

Complication-wise, I’ve only owned one chrono so far so the QP does seem like an attractive piece as a Grand Comp, platinum Patek.

I’ve actually never had much experience with RG pieces or dress pieces so it is quite a change coming from pure sports models. I will try to go hunting for some rg/black dial pieces locally and have a look.

Old 16 February 2022, 08:50 AM   #24
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerad1 View Post
Can never go wrong with Breguet numerals...
That was one of the biggest reasons why I never considered the 5172G. Breguet numerals are just stunning.

Old 16 February 2022, 08:52 AM   #25
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d always lean manual chrono. I just like them.
Many reasons to love a manual chrono. My current chrono is a selfwinding so I haven’t experienced a pure manual wind movement!

Old 16 February 2022, 09:48 AM   #26
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I honestly think it gives it ''character''.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 01:41 PM   #27
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
Have you considered a 5960 in platinum, white or rose gold? You would get a chrono and an annual calendar. And automatic winding. You wouldn't get breguet numerals tho.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 12:53 AM   #28
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
How about a 5327 ? Love mine , Michael in San Antonio Tx
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 92762A32-BB6E-4DDA-B117-1CCDBAA1F2C1.jpeg (155.6 KB, 506 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 01:37 AM   #29
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
5140p-001
Old 6 March 2022, 01:21 AM   #30
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
For value and bang for your buck I would go with the QP but for style I would go with the Chrono
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5140p , 5170r , chrono , dress watch , patek