The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2020, 09:33 AM   #1
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Pam 661

I am having an absolute love affair with this watch. Anyone else have any positive or negative relationship with this Carbotech bombshell? I absolutely love it. Not sure I can hold out much longer.

Love the traditional size and format with the combo of the carbon fiber. Love to hear opinions from anyone who has owned one, or wants one, or even someone who dislikes them. Whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAM661.jpg (227.4 KB, 244 views)
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Glock2710
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M
I’ve not seen one in person but based on the pictures and what I have read it is stunning! Good luck in resisting :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glock2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I am the official TRF ambassador to this particular Carbotech Panerai. I own it and it is amazing. I hate to keep talking about it but it is next level tough. I hit it off of a bridge pier underwater on a dive and it didn’t leave a mark. My DSSD JC would have its ceramic bezel cracked and case dented. Lume is outstanding, WR 300m, and is by far my most comfortable watch. Over a year now of ownership and it still is in mint condition with no marks, hairlines, smudges, etc even under a macro lens.

In short, the 661 Carbotech is a Rockstar.

Some previous threads
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=691937

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=681940

On suede.

The in-house P.9010 movement is outstanding with a 80 hour power reserve and a strong amplitude in any position.

Carbotech is next level material for a luxury watch and every model is bespoke by its design construction.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

^ great side-by-side with the 104, Mystro.

I love the 661 and would be thrilled to wear it. Alas, as these prices, I can’t have ‘em all.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2710 View Post
I’ve not seen one in person but based on the pictures and what I have read it is stunning! Good luck in resisting :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Resistance is futile!
Old 28 November 2020, 08:57 PM   #6
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Mystro thanks for the in-depth review! I had previously read your other threads of course! So, I had an interesting Boutique visit last night -- me in the US and a very good friend of mine (and TRF patron) out in Saudi Arabia at his local Boutique (where he is a bit of a VIP), all on WhatsApp video with the store manager! It was a kick to go "watch shopping" on the other side of the world.

So to make a long story short my buddy was trying them on, and we were pulling out straps, checking everything out. It was basically like being there, from around the world. Focus watches were the old 526 Regatta (they had one brand new!?!?), an unbelievable 473 (1 of 10 specially produced watches for the Saudi Royal family, 47 Rad 10 day GMT) that was just splendid, the new 1616, and of course the 661.

The offer price on the 661 was so low I almost cannot say no. Of course my buddy would have to bring me the watch, but we are planning a reunion next year in NYC, all based around watches and drinking of course. Boutique is willing to put it in my name, throw in two free straps, and let my friend haul it to me next year. Very tempting...

The "return the hype to Panerai thread" got me to thinking that the accessibility of Panerai is why I still love them. Try doing a WhatsApp Boutique tour from across the world, with an offer to sell the watch in your name to your buddy, with Rolex, AP or Patek. See how that goes. As I sit on wait lists at AP and Journe, Panerai is a fun cool watch brand that is pushing the materials envelope, and is still 100% client focused, and most importantly they will actually sell you a watch! I love them. I will always have a Panerai.

Have a 1055 right now, but, and I can't believe I am going to say this, the 42 Sub almost feels small after wearing it for awhile. I love it, but I can't kick the feeling that it's a touch small! I have tried a 47 Rad, and that was a touch big, so I am thinking the true sweet spot for a 7 inch wrist is the 44 Lum or 45 Rad size. 661 fits that bill. Let's see how long I can hold out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3926.jpg (103.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 28 November 2020, 09:18 PM   #7
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
A great recall of a fantastic night.

Being the guy on the other end of the hour long video call and photos, I can confirm that I too had a blast last night Mark. In my experience, nobody treats customers as well as a Panerai boutique!

When I'm home later I'll post some photos of what was a truly special trans continents evening.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm as smitten with the 526 Regatta and 473 ( 10 days power reserve!) as you are with the 661! I've got a feeling that last night is not the end of things regarding these 3 watches!
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:23 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks beautiful OP and hope to enjoy my first Panerai Carbotech (1118) when they are released to see what all the hype is about :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
A great recall of a fantastic night.

Being the guy on the other end of the hour long video call and photos, I can confirm that I too had a blast last night Mark. In my experience, nobody treats customers as well as a Panerai boutique!

When I'm home later I'll post some photos of what was a truly special trans continents evening.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm as smitten with the 526 Regatta and 473 ( 10 days power reserve!) as you are with the 661! I've got a feeling that last night is not the end of things regarding these 3 watches!
Hey there! You found me blathering about the "trip!" Yeah, I'd be very surprised if a couple of those watches don't end up with us!
Old 28 November 2020, 09:27 PM   #10
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Looks beautiful OP and hope to enjoy my first Panerai Carbotech (1118) when they are released to see what all the hype is about :)
Hey Steven! You got one of the 70 years huh? That thing is awesome!
Old 28 November 2020, 11:51 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t have too much novel to add. My panerai story is I had a 164 back in the day when you could say the brand was hot. I think it was priced at 4K. I tried a myriad of 40 and 42s as I have a small wrist (6.5) and my tastes changed the older I got. I agree I have so much fatigue from wait lists at Patek, AP, and Rolex that I came surfing on this section again. Next thing I know I have two overpriced Pams (lol). One rad with great dial and manual 1144 (weird wave graphic on back I could do w/o) and the 1209! This watch is great and I’m loving it. So a pair of 42s the old guard would Pooh Pooh I suppose. Could care less. I kind of think this is the ultimate pair and I’m set with Panerai. Who knows if they will stick, but for now happy. Of course the boutique experience was great and availability is shocking :)

Ps, 960 could be a third but damn, so expensive
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 11:59 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a fantastic watch and Mystro gives it all the attention it deserves.

I’d probably own it by now but I just can’t get past the all black color. Unfortunately it’s not my thing.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 12:13 AM   #13
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the comments! I am cross shopping it against the 335 (44mm Lum, ceramic, 10 day GMT) in my mind right now. Looking around to make sure I didn't miss any other great 44mm Lum's as well.
Old 1 December 2020, 04:00 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Hey Steven! You got one of the 70 years huh? That thing is awesome!
Many thanks! Alas, they've not been released yet. Supposedly the 1117 / 1118 / 1119 will be released during December 2020 and will post pics accordingly
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 08:48 AM   #15
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I have one and it's by far one of my favorite watches. Also dinged it really bad on a metal fire extinguisher box and no scratch but had to remove the white remnants with a eraser. I would say this watch is very durable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191230_204115_copy_768x1024.jpg (165.6 KB, 105 views)
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote