The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 December 2020, 01:47 AM   #1
tuan2195
"TRF" Member

Need opinion on 1803

Hi everyone,

I'm being offered a 1803 which looks to be in great condition. Seller said that it's all original parts, but I have a few concerns that I hope you guys can help with.

The dial looks to be a service dial and I think the day wheel usually have slimmer fonts? Also this example comes with a hidden clasp bracelet. I'm not sure if this is period correct? And given how everything looks, what would be a fair price for this piece?

Any help is greatly appreaciated, thanks!
tuan2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:16 AM   #2
circles
"TRF" Member

The font on "wednesday" is horrible
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:25 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Definitely not all original as stated.

The dial does look like a later service dial but I dont think it was replaced in an AD service because the hands would have been replaced as well. That day wheel looks aftermarket. A horrible puffy font.

Ask the seller for the end link numbers. The bracelet may be correct if it has 53 end links. If they are 55 end links then it is a later bracelet. There should also be a date code on the clasp to help verify the year. clasp code should match the year of the watch.

Also, I see the watch sitting in a much later early 2000s box so I assume it is the watch only and no original box or papers, I wouldnt give more than maybe $8-9 grand for it. Ask how many links are in the bracelet. Should have 24. If there are much less then just remember that a decent barely polished used link will cost between $200-300 each. Adds up real quick.
Old 5 December 2020, 04:05 AM   #4
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post

The dial does look like a later service dial but I dont think it was replaced in an AD service because the hands would have been replaced as well. That day wheel looks aftermarket. A horrible puffy font.

Ask the seller for the end link numbers. The bracelet may be correct if it has 53 end links. If they are 55 end links then it is a later bracelet. There should also be a date code on the clasp to help verify the year. clasp code should match the year of the watch.

Also, I see the watch sitting in a much later early 2000s box so I assume it is the watch only and no original box or papers, I wouldnt give more than maybe $8-9 grand for it. Ask how many links are in the bracelet. Should have 24. If there are much less then just remember that a decent barely polished used link will cost between $200-300 each. Adds up real quick.
Font looks off, as others have said.

Can confirm links/bracelet service. I’m budgeting at least $2k for a bracelet service and adding links to my 1803 bracelet.

Also, the lume looks pretty new and without patina, but that’s just my lay observation.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:15 AM   #5
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post

+1 Well said.
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:15 AM   #6
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
yeah... a lot of issues here. I'd stay away.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 05:33 AM   #7
tuan2195
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'll keep this in mind and ask the dealer to revise their price, but if not I'll probably pass.
Old 5 December 2020, 09:21 AM   #8
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan2195 View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'll keep this in mind and ask the dealer to revise their price, but if not I'll probably pass.
I wouldnt necessarily walk away. If the price is revised to offset making the piece correct then go for it.
Old 5 December 2020, 09:27 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Pass. Too many issues.
There are much better examples.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:03 AM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I'd walk away simply because the seller is claiming it to be all orginal. Either he's dishonest or he doesn't have a clue.

As an aside, the hidden-clasp bracelet is beautiful, but in practice it's a pain. It's completely unadjustable, so you can't do microadjustments for changes in wrist size between morning/evening, hot/cold weather and high/low pie intake. It's always either too loose or too tight.

I'd get one with a clasp and the microadjustment pinholes.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:06 AM   #11
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Maybe it’s a safe Queen before there were safe queens. Honestly OP it doesn’t take a novice to spot to many red flags. Right off the bat it seems you had a good idea yourself. Next time trust your gut. It’s great you came here and checked but you were quite right in your own intuition.

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the asking price and be honest

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 03:14 PM   #12
tuan2195
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! The piece in question was sold (not to me of course), dealer was asking me for 10.5k. Not sure how fair is that, since it seems like the Day-Date is enjoying a resurgence in popularity.
Old 6 December 2020, 04:42 AM   #13
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan2195 View Post
Thanks everyone! The piece in question was sold (not to me of course), dealer was asking me for 10.5k. Not sure how fair is that, since it seems like the Day-Date is enjoying a resurgence in popularity.
Sad... someone got taken for a ride :/

Glad it wasn’t you!
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:47 AM   #14
Case61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdii View Post
sad... Someone got taken for a ride :/

glad it wasn’t you!
+1
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:37 AM   #15
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Is there any chance that day dial is a Rolex part? The font looks pretty far off from what I’ve seen in 1803 font.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 07:04 AM   #16
Platypus
Banned

Somebody got a great deal. Case and bracelet at first glance appear to be unpolished. Another $300 or so for an original dial and day disc, and you have a 100% correct watch.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 08:54 AM   #17
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

My money's on it being polished.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:56 AM   #18
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Since it would have a T on the dial, the dial is likely not original. The condition of the second hand appears different to to the hour and minute hand. Seems odd that someone would consent to change the dial and the second hand but leave the minute and hour hands as original. There were different fonts used for the day wheel some slender and sarifed, some slender and a fat font seemed to appear in the 80's. I have seen at least three varieties in the font but I am not an expert as to what font went with which serial numbers.
Old 6 December 2020, 10:20 AM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
My money's on it being polished.
Yes. It's clearly been polished.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:28 AM   #20
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Somebody got a great deal. Case and bracelet at first glance appear to be unpolished. Another $300 or so for an original dial and day disc, and you have a 100% correct watch.

That case is definitely polished. Those lugs are a bit short.