The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2020, 07:44 AM   #1
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Seamaster NTTD: no time to doubt or wait some time?

Guys,
I need your opinion here. What do you think about the Bond?
I keep looking at it and I think is a marvelous piece.
I’m considering pulling the trigger, but I have some doubts regarding:
1. The price: high for a seamaster
2. AD vs OB (are ADs discounting?)
3. Value retention on secondary market (I don’t like spending 9K on a watch that will resell at discount in a couple of months)

So far it seems that the reference is holding the value... but who knows.

What do you think?
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:14 AM   #2
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
Guys,
I need your opinion here. What do you think about the Bond?
I keep looking at it and I think is a marvelous piece.
I’m considering pulling the trigger, but I have some doubts regarding:
1. The price: high for a seamaster
2. AD vs OB (are ADs discounting?)
3. Value retention on secondary market (I don’t like spending 9K on a watch that will resell at discount in a couple of months)

So far it seems that the reference is holding the value... but who knows.

What do you think?
I think it is a really cool watch, and those who own it seem to really enjoy it. It is not quite for me, as I'm not a huge fan of these types of special editions, but the specs of the watch are pretty awesome. It is indeed priced much higher than a standard SMP Diver 300M. I cannot answer number 2, but I know in general AD's discount much more than an OB will. Number 3 shouldn't really matter unless you are planning to sell the watch before you've even purchased it.
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 12:31 PM   #3
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Seamaster NTTD: no time to doubt or wait some time?

When I first saw it, I didn't like it at all.

Now I want one. I love it.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:24 PM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
I think it is a really cool watch, and those who own it seem to really enjoy it. It is not quite for me, as I'm not a huge fan of these types of special editions, but the specs of the watch are pretty awesome. It is indeed priced much higher than a standard SMP Diver 300M. I cannot answer number 2, but I know in general AD's discount much more than an OB will. Number 3 shouldn't really matter unless you are planning to sell the watch before you've even purchased it.
This - it’s a nice watch, but doesn’t totally do it for me.

1. It’s priced high for a Seamaster as you say.
2. Yes, Ad’s will discount (mine will and have seen others who will). OB’s will not generally
3. If any value drop bothers you, I’d probably steer clear but you will limit what you can buy on that basis. Most watches will depreciate to an extent. It’s the price to play. That said, per chrono this seems to be hovering on or above rrp. That said, that’s the ask and not necessarily where they are selling. As time goes on they may soften a bit IMO
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 10:43 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The NTTD watch is one of my favorites and I am a current owner. I bought the watch when first released and enjoyed it but could not get over the price I paid. I believed that when the movie was released the watches would go into wide distribution and lose a lot of value. So I sold it, not because it was not great and I did not like it but because of the money. I was good on the resale value but missed the watch and was waiting on the market to turn but it has held steady with a slight decrease. The movie has been delayed again and so the watches have still not been widely distributed. I decided to approach it from a different place and I traded a watch that I was in very good position with and got the NTTD back. I got a fair market price and received the watch back and could not be happier. Once the current Bond movie is released I would believe that the franchise will begin with a new movie and a whole new Bond hype and watch. Omega may keep this watch in the lineup but it will be modified. A collectable watch for sure. I would go to an AD and see what you can do but in the end I would look at our Trusted Sellers. DavidSW has both the bracelet and NATO version on his website at a small premium. I would say call him, discuss the watch and get your best price. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200718_101939 (002).jpg (209.6 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by 1William; 6 December 2020 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 12:29 AM   #6
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your comments.
I was considering getting the watch from a trusted seller, but they have a premium.
if I’ve to pay a premium I would get it from OB or AD.
I want to discuss with my associates and see if I can cut a deal.
I want a diver in my collection, and of course it’s between this and the sub.
I have to say that aesthetically I like better the NTTD, at the moment.
Old 7 December 2020, 12:47 AM   #7
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I have it as well, and it's probably my favorite watch I own as a GADA. It's quite the strap monster and looks good in a variety of situations. Search for the "double oh october" thread to see what I mean.

Regarding your points:
1. The watch is titanium and a special edition, which accounts for the price markup. People are paying retail or slightly over for them. I don't think a comparison to the normal seamaster is warranted.
2. AD discounts are specific to each AD. I was able to get one from mine, but I also purchase multiple watches per year from them and have a great relationship.
3. In terms of value retention, money should be a secondary consideration. The watch is a commodity not an investment. Buy it to wear it. If it appreciates, it's a bonus.

I love the watch, but in my opinion, it might not be the watch for you if you have any doubts. Don't "talk yourself into it."
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:06 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It never did it for me and the price seems laughable. I was looking to buy a new SMP as well and did not care for the deep looking cuts of the wave dial, ended up with an original bond from '06 (2531.80) with the 1170 movement.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:29 AM   #9
Kernow
Banned

It’s a nice watch wish I had not bought one though, miss the date
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 02:22 AM   #10
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

I actually like it very much, so I don’t feel like I’m trying to talk myself into it, but I see your point.
The thing that is holding me is the potential discount on secondary market. It would be annoying if the NTTD that I get at full price gets an instant depreciation right out of the boutique. Because at that point I could get it at substantial discount just waiting few months.
There is a last point that is about the “vintage look” of the watch and what is the impact that time will have on the brown/patina effect.
From what I understood, not being a ceramic means that the watch will age and probably the colors will change and fade out over time.
From one side I might like that, as it will give the watch some character, and maybe it will be more collectible. From the other side nobody knows how it will look.