The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 November 2020, 07:28 AM   #1
Porsche544
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16570
Vintage Rolex is the way to go

I visited an A.D. today and tried on a pre-owned 2020 Submariner, and I can honestly say that I felt bored looking at it on my wrist. The watch to me had no soul. I could not feel a connection to the watch and actually made me appreciate my Vintage Sub much more. The look of the Patina from a vintage watch is an exhilarating feeling. Different MK Dials, Gilts, bezel fading and all that relates to vintage rolex makes it more interesting to me. If you collect both modern and vintage which genre excites you most?
Porsche544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 07:33 AM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche544 View Post
I visited an A.D. today and tried on a pre-owned 2020 Submariner, and I can honestly say that I felt bored looking at it on my wrist. The watch to me had no soul. I could not feel a connection to the watch and actually made me appreciate my Vintage Sub much more. The look of the Patina from a vintage watch is an exhilarating feeling. Different MK Dials, Gilts, bezel fading and all that relates to vintage rolex makes it more interesting to me. If you collect both modern and vintage which genre excites you most?
I have both but vintage is were my heart is at, you can’t beat the warmth that a plexy crystal gives to the dial, the different fading and patinas as you mentioned plus the overall charm...It’s just a thing that has been alive for a very long time and now little ol’ me gets to carry it for a while before it gets passed on to the next generation...
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 09:10 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I also lost interest in modern watches and sold them off a few years ago except for a G-Shock 5600 that I use for camping and an A-series 16610 for rainy days (yes, I think 1999 is modern). Frankly, even the 16610 doesn't appeal to me anymore and I'm thinking I should let it go. I have a 1970 Seiko 6105 diver that I had restored for water-resistance, and I could wear when it rains, which isn't very often anyway. ;-)
Old 7 November 2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I have a mix of vintage and more modern Rolex. My most modern is 116518 Daytona followed by last year 16610. The rest are vintage. ... I guess besides my 167188 which is classic for sure with a tritium dial.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 09:20 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I prefer the charm of the vintage variety. They are much more interesting - although I recently acquired a new GMT, the red & blue, from my dealer after a two year wait.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 10:59 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Modern watches only for the morning jog and pool-centric vacations. Otherwise vintage.

You're kind of preaching to the choir on this forum...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 11:09 AM   #7
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I appreciate and enjoy both for what they are...my collection was skewed heavily toward vintage, but moving toward 50/50.

Took this pic yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 01:48 PM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I have modern and vintage (Rolex and different brands.)
I prefer vintage.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 06:34 PM   #9
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Vintage all the way for me
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 08:36 AM   #10
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
Eh I love vintage man. Growing up, "used" had a very negative connotation in my household and buying new at full price was the general rule. As I've distanced myself from that sort of thinking, I've fallen in love with "gently used" things such as antiques, fountain pens from the 1920s to 1940s, vintage clothing, and, most especially, vintage watches. I love something with so much life that continues to tick away happily on my wrist and that can be worn through it all. I definitely run trails, cycle on fire roads, and live in my vintage Rolex. And it continues to keep pretty good time!
lhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 09:35 AM   #11
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Vintage pieces have so much personality and soul compared to new models.
Old 8 November 2020, 09:43 AM   #12
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Vintage pieces have so much personality and soul compared to new models.
Sort of an allure to where have they been, what have they seen, who were the owners . . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 04:59 PM   #13
lovegmt73
"TRF" Member

I prefer vintage, but we must be careful what and where to buy, too many fake parts easily available on the net.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
lovegmt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 05:51 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Sort of an allure to where have they been, what have they seen, who were the owners . . . .
Yes. It's interesting to get one with paperwork provenance from the original owner and to know the story behind it.

I've posted it before, but my 1675 was bought from the original owner's family, with all box and papers as well as a letter about its history. He was a USA pilot in the Vietnam War and wore it in active service. I can only imagine the action it's seen.

Sometimes I don't feel worthy of having so much history on my wrist. It originally came on a ratty old Oyster bracelet, which I've replaced with a modern Jubilee for greater security. I still have his original bracelet, of course.

I don't believe it's possible to match this with a modern watch. Also seems appropriate for Remembrance Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121232610_204357757753080_2126210578681216232_n.jpg (198.1 KB, 949 views)
Old 8 November 2020, 06:15 PM   #15
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Yes. It's interesting to get one with paperwork provenance from the original owner and to know the story behind it.

I've posted it before, but my 1675 was bought from the original owner's family, with all box and papers as well as a letter about its history. He was a USA pilot in the Vietnam War and wore it in active service. I can only imagine the action it's seen.

Sometimes I don't feel worthy of having so much history on my wrist. It originally came on a ratty old Oyster bracelet, which I've replaced with a modern Jubilee for greater security. I still have his original bracelet, of course.

I don't believe it's possible to match this with a modern watch. Also seems appropriate for Remembrance Day.
@Zapokee: what a wonderful piece! The accompanying story is epic as well. Yes, that's one of the many, many reasons vintage rules.
lhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 12:41 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Wow! Amazing 1675! That insert ... one if the nicest I’ve ever seen. Just beautiful.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:28 AM   #17
nolaclarky
"TRF" Member

I love vintage as well and enjoy the new scratches on my acrylic from 24/7 wear of my Tudor Sub 79090 and GMT 1675..
nolaclarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 05:16 AM   #18
Claven2
"TRF" Member

If the 16610 with lug holes counts as vintage, then I vote vintage. I also like the older pie pan DJ better than modern ones.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 05:26 AM   #19
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I have and love both. I'm more partial to my 5 dgt Sub and Gmtll. Out of all of my 6 dgts the Sub gets the most wrist time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 05:51 AM   #20
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Fifty Years of memories is what I see when I look at my 5513. German Beer, Vietnam, James Bond, Ursula Andress, 69 Camaro, Birth of our Son, wife of 50 years, that's what I see when I look at my Rolex !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 07:32 AM   #21
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
Fifty Years of memories is what I see when I look at my 5513. German Beer, Vietnam, James Bond, Ursula Andress, 69 Camaro, Birth of our Son, wife of 50 years, that's what I see when I look at my Rolex !
This! Here you have your answer on vintage or modern! Every scratch tells a story! Thanks for sharing!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:52 PM   #22
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Short-time lurker just getting into the forum because I'm interested in vintage watches, particularly Rolex/Tudor. Once I can post photos I will share pics.

I like vintage, but I bought two of my three references new at ADs back in the day. Three of four if you count the first 16610 that now resides at the bottom of a Florida lake.

Personally, I like a certain aesthetic. When I first purchased my 16610 in 2003 the case still retained the classic Submariner proportions; can't really drum up any enthusiasm for the Maxi dials or cases. Everyone's got a certain visual perception that "works" for them, and I get that.

Anyway, I guess I lean vintage in that I can't see myself ever again going into an AD for a new piece.

S82
Sacha82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 05:25 PM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrickson View Post
@Zapokee: what a wonderful piece! The accompanying story is epic as well. Yes, that's one of the many, many reasons vintage rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Wow! Amazing 1675! That insert ... one if the nicest I’ve ever seen. Just beautiful.
Thanks, gents. It's a bit of a shame when the history of a watch gets lost through changes of ownership. Nice to have one with full known history.
Old 9 November 2020, 07:30 PM   #24
GWL2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln, 116710ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha82 View Post
Short-time lurker just getting into the forum because I'm interested in vintage watches, particularly Rolex/Tudor. Once I can post photos I will share pics.

I like vintage, but I bought two of my three references new at ADs back in the day. Three of four if you count the first 16610 that now resides at the bottom of a Florida lake.

Personally, I like a certain aesthetic. When I first purchased my 16610 in 2003 the case still retained the classic Submariner proportions; can't really drum up any enthusiasm for the Maxi dials or cases. Everyone's got a certain visual perception that "works" for them, and I get that.

Anyway, I guess I lean vintage in that I can't see myself ever again going into an AD for a new piece.

S82

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GWL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 09:18 AM   #25
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL2 View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, did I miss something? I'm not seeing anything but my words quoted back. Did you have a comment for me?

S82
Sacha82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 01:55 PM   #26
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche544 View Post
Hit the nail on the head.

Modern Rolex is incredibly boring, IMO. They need an imagination department at Rolex. There is a lack of creativity, and really no excuse for it. They're not going to go out of business if they experiment with a new design a little. They are choosing to keep things very boring. Why make that choice if you don't have to. Eventually people will tire of them, and once they lose a customer base, then they might start changing things up a bit. I think the folks at Rolex have become fat and lazy, and are very comfortable with the status quo. Until they start losing customer base, I suspect nothing will change. Too bad. I have so many ideas for watch designs I'd like to see implemented.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 09:33 PM   #27
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
I tend to love vintage more than modern. Part of the allure to vintage besides the beautiful patina look is that back in the day there was more variety even for the same model. You can have mk1 up to mk7 or so, you can have big logo, small logo, big eyes small eyes, gilt, non gilt, serif, non serif, lollipop dials and tulip dials and the list goes on and on and on.
Then you have the frugalness of Roles in the old days that they didn't to waste any inventory so they used leftover dials and other parts they had on hand in newer models.
Then you have some of the rare oddballs that you don't see today due to modern technology eliminating 99.9% of errors. On vintage bezels have numbers in slightly different locations depending on how it was placed in the machine or print fonts that varied as the stamping dies wore out. That just doesn't happen in today's watches, they are all perfect clones, except maybe for the so called color differences in the Pepsi bezels.

It all makes it very much a challenge to know exactly what is what and to know what you're buying but that challenge is what make vintage so much fun also. Compare that to buying a modern watch today. First off you can't even see one or try one on and then if you actually want one well depending on the model its good luck and hope you're a patient person. Whereas with vintage they are everywhere and available the challenge is finding the right one that is correct at a fair price. That's suppose to be part of the fun but its more scary than fun lately.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 10:55 PM   #28
bazin
"TRF" Member

Vintage is wonderful, indeed........after 42 years of uninterrupted service I am still in love as the 1st day........
On the other hand I appreciate my Yacht Master II 116680 "blue hands", Air King 116900.......etc. also very much.
Both "warm" vintage and "cool" modern attract me......

bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 11:28 PM   #29
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Beatiful piece and great photo!
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 11:47 PM   #30
psv
"TRF" Member

There is a time and place both for vintage and modern
psv is offline   Reply With Quote