The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 November 2020, 02:26 AM   #1
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Notifications if someone quotes you?

Hi,

I'm not that familiar with this type of forum platform, isn't there a "notifications" area, as there usually should be?

For an example if someone quotes my post, won't I be able to see a notification in the corner about this? Is that turned off by default or simply not available?
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:00 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
There is a notification check box (upper right) that will subscribe you to a thread. If you start a thread you are automatically subscribed. I may stand to be corrected but I believe that's how it works.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 04:32 AM   #3
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

There is a something called Thread Tools which I can click and subscribe to a thread. Yet even if subscribed it doesn't really notify me in any sort of way.

In the forum settings I can setup email notifications, but not really looking to receive emails everytime something happens.

Most forum platforms have a little notification area, this board should have the option as well, no idea why it isn't there though?
Old 25 November 2020, 03:42 AM   #4
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

I'm having the same issue it would seem - although I won't be too quick to rule out user error ;)

When I'm quoted in a thread, I don't get a notification.
When someone responds in a thread to which I'm subscribed, I don't get a notification.

Would someone be able to direct me appropriately? I've searched my profile/settings an can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:48 AM   #5
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTed View Post
I'm having the same issue it would seem - although I won't be too quick to rule out user error ;)

When I'm quoted in a thread, I don't get a notification.
When someone responds in a thread to which I'm subscribed, I don't get a notification.

Would someone be able to direct me appropriately? I've searched my profile/settings an can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

I found this clarification in another thread thanks to a moderator, but notice that in my profile I do have the appropriate boxes check and have not been getting notifications on threads to which I'm subscribed.

Click on blue user CP top of page forum page/scroll down/click edit options/tick receive notifications.
Old 25 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #6
JodyHighroller
Banned

If you have the Tapatalk app, there is a setting which will notify you on your phone.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:57 AM   #7
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
If you have the Tapatalk app, there is a setting which will notify you on your phone.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. Checked the app which I don't really use to access this forum, and it appears that I haven't received a notification since Oct 23, which is strange (20 or so threads subscribed, etc). I'll dig around a little more, it's likely user error on my part despite adjusting the notification settings both in the forum and in the app.
Old 25 November 2020, 03:58 AM   #8
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTed View Post
I found this clarification in another thread thanks to a moderator, but notice that in my profile I do have the appropriate boxes check and have not been getting notifications on threads to which I'm subscribed.

Click on blue user CP top of page forum page/scroll down/click edit options/tick receive notifications.

Without Tapatalk your notifications would come in the form of an email. Is the email going to your spam folder?
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:02 AM   #9
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Without Tapatalk your notifications would come in the form of an email. Is the email going to your spam folder?
Appreciate the suggestion - first place I looked. Nothing there unfortunately.
Old 25 November 2020, 05:06 AM   #10
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Here's the thing, I don't use Tapatalk - I'm on a Desktop PC. Prefer an actual keyboard when writing - dinosaur, I know.

For a desktop experience I don't think there is a notification area (although there should!?) - the only option I have is for e-mail or 'subscribing' a thread - where I would then have to go my Subscribed threads every time to see if there's a reply. Even that doesn't tell me if I'm quoted.
Old 25 November 2020, 05:40 AM   #11
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
Here's the thing, I don't use Tapatalk - I'm on a Desktop PC. Prefer an actual keyboard when writing - dinosaur, I know.

For a desktop experience I don't think there is a notification area (although there should!?) - the only option I have is for e-mail or 'subscribing' a thread - where I would then have to go my Subscribed threads every time to see if there's a reply. Even that doesn't tell me if I'm quoted.
Yeah, agreed, I'm on desktop or iPad w/ keyboard primarily. And "subscribed" doesn't seem to indicate when I'm quoted (I believe, again I could be doing something wrong). Not that what I have to say is that important, but I supposed it could be rude to not acknowledge someone or reply if they're quoting you.
Old 25 November 2020, 06:03 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Make sure that in the User CP, under "edit options", that you have what and how you want to be notified checked as you would like.
Old 25 November 2020, 01:32 PM   #13
CaptT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Make sure that in the User CP, under "edit options", that you have what and how you want to be notified checked as you would like.
Thanks for the suggestion, for some time now I've had it set as indicated by the screenshot attached (confirmed this morning, and again just now) which should mean I'd receive a daily email if any of the threads to which I subscribe are updated, correct?

As far as I can tell, my email in the account is correct but I have no record of any email notifications ever (and just a few notifications of PMs). Happy to take this offline if there's a better way to discuss, and welcome suggestions if there's anything I'm not doing right. Thx.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 7.23.54 PM.png (49.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 28 November 2020, 02:41 PM   #14
OliverTwist
"TRF" Member

I too am surprised there is no notification or alerts on the screen for updates when you have contributed to a thread.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote