The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which one
Speedy Pro hesalite 115 73.25%
Speedy Pro sapphire 42 26.75%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 November 2020, 11:22 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bitten by the Speedy bug

Long time lurker of this sub forum and admittedly I have limited knowledge of the reference.

A simple question for the aficionado’s here... which one and why?

Speedy pro hesalite
Speedy pro sapphire

Thank you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:20 PM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Hard not to pick hesalite when you see them side by side my friend. The original is the way to go IMHO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:22 PM   #3
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I haven’t owned either Brian but I say go for the sapphire sandwich to get the view of the movement

Congrats in advance!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:28 PM   #4
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Hesalite is better due to absence of milky ring on the dial.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:47 PM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love the Hesalite, just looks better to my eyes, and like the distortion
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Hesalite.
For me, it's the following:
1. Looks/aesthetics: It just flat out looks better imho I like the way the dome shape distorts in different angles and you can see the full black dial, no hazy outer ring of sapphire obstructing your view of the dial.
2. Scratches: I actually enjoy buffing out the scratches by hand myself. It creates more of a connection with the watch. Have fun wearing it and then every now and then take some $5 polywatch and buff it in literally 3-5 minutes with a soft cloth and BOOM brand new crystal again. Or just leave the scratches, it builds character if you like that sort of thing.
3. To replace a hesalite crystal is a fraction of the cost of a sapphire crystal if it ever comes to that.
4. It's a more affordable model all together. About $1000 cheaper than sapphire version.
5. You want a see through caseback? You can get a hesalite sandwich version. This way you get the best of both worlds such as a 3572.50 or 3592.50
Hope that helps!
Either way you will have a great watch!
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:32 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Hesalite

Good luck. There is no known cure.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:48 PM   #8
woowoo
Banned

You may already have or will eventually have sapphire chronos in your collection. Hesalite is part of what makes a speedy interesting IMO.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:04 PM   #9
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Vintage hesalite all the way....
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:38 PM   #10
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN -116234
3 weeks ago got sapphire, all my watch’s scratches all around, no need to worry.but hesalite looks better.
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 04:05 PM   #11
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Whatever you chose between sapphire and hesalite, make sure is the hesalite

Was in the same postion, wanted to buy the sapphire actually but when I put the hesalite on my wrist was like game over

As stated by others the hesalite has a specific look which makes and builds character

There is no wrong in going with either version

Not my photos borrowed from another forum
These gives you a better understanding

Good luck with what you chose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 04:07 PM   #12
alllexandru

You also get this omega logo crafted in the hesalite which the sapphire doesn’t have it (yes the EdWhite has it but 3x the costs and with no available option)
Hard to see with naked eye

This is my photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 04:20 PM   #13
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Bitten by the Speedy bug

One isn’t better than the other, it just depends on your reason for wanting the Speedmaster.

If you want it because you love the history and NASA connection, then the hesalite is the way to go. It’s the version that is still flight qualified by NASA, and it has that cool vintage feeling.

But if you want a modern chronograph with scratch-proof glass and like to see the movement, then the sapphire fits the bill perfectly.

They’re both awesome, just depends what you’re after. I’m happy that you’ll be joining the ranks of us Speedy-lovers!

I’m a hesalite man, myself.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 04:28 PM   #14
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Hessalite no question! Go for it for god sake!
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:29 PM   #15
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I don’t think there are any wrong choices. I’ve got an Apollo 11 and that has sapphire and there are no issues. I do understand the milky ring issue but the only speedies that have lasted with me for any length of time are sapphire ones for some reason. The hesalite does give a nice warmth and distortion however.

Whichever you choose, you’ve still got a strap monster.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 09:37 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned both and prefer the sapphire. I do not like plastic crystals on any watch and though I do get the history discussion they do not work for me. I also think it is a nice touch that on the sapphire you can see the movement. I currently own a Speed Master Racing Pro and enjoy the watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200703_100745 (002).jpg (218.2 KB, 399 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 09:41 PM   #17
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
The Speedmaster Pro is very enjoyable. It's a WIS's piece, for sure: there is a lot of complexity in the shapes and finishes to make it interesting to look at, it offers the fantastic legibility and purposefulness of a true tool-watch, plus you get to wind it every morning

Important: when purchasing, either wind the movement yourself, or if needed ask the seller to wind the movement and confirm that the crown twists easily enough on the actual watch that will be your watch. For some reason, the occasional Speedmaster Pro will have excessive resistance to twisting the crown, and for some folks this spoils the joy of owning and wearing it.

I think it's just seals that cause this (I've had other models from Omega and Rolex that felt this way), but it's a real, um, drag if you get one like this (sorry for the pun).

BTW, I prefer the basic Speedmaster Pro with an acrylic crystal. The crystal has a slightly warm and glossy luster, and sunlight plays through it and onto the dial in ways that you'll enjoy a lot

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:02 AM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
For me there is one choice. The moon watch is the hesilite, the others are homage watches. The movement is not what the watch is known for, so going in for the clear case back does not make a ton of sense, because it’s on the back, where with the hesilite you spend time looking at the front of the watch and that gives a warmer appearance to the dial. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of watches out there that have that, (navitimer comes to mind) but the Speedmaster of you own one, it’s the hesilite. Do you really want to have the watch that simply looks like the moon watch or the real deal.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:18 AM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Hesalite IMO. Keeps it as close to the Apollo watch as possible. Also looks more "interesting than the sapphire crystal. Sort if distorts reflections in a pleasant way. For any other watch I'd take the sapphire, but this one just seems right on the hesalite.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:21 AM   #20
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think someone on this page got one with a hesalite front AND sapphire display back. That to me would be the perfect combination. Sometimes it seems like a shame to have a manual wind movement you can't view

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:04 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks guys for all the feedback.

I was leaning toward the sapphire, but after the overwhelming response here, I’m going to definitely have to try both.

There’s a wealth of knowledge here and it’s times like these where I am reminded off why I love this forum so much.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:49 AM   #22
doostboost
"TRF" Member

Watch: '84 Rolex Sub Date
It's definitely personal preference, and definitely a tough choice! Your best bet is to just get both. :-)
doostboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:01 AM   #23
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I voted Hesalite, and that’s what I have. I really like seeing the movement on the Sapphire sandwich (it is mesmerizing), but on wrist that benefit is negated. Went with the classic...no regrets.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:19 AM   #24
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You have a robust collection of watches. I came to Omega already owning Rolex, IWC, Breitling, Panerai. My advice when choosing which Speedmaster Professional is best for you is to go with the Hesalite. Yes, it plays with and distorts light. Yes, it’s more true to the original. The truth is that your Omega will never feel like your other pieces; especially the Speedy Pro. There’s too much vintage about it to ever bring it in league with the quality of other similarly priced chronographs out there. Love it for what it is: a 1960s watch that is out of its time. I love that my Speedmaster shows scratches a little easier, that the crystal is plastic, that movement isn’t fancy or in house. There’s nothing wrong with sapphire, but to me, it’s trying to make the Speedmaster Professional something it isn’t. Embrace the rattle, the plastic, the outdated simplistic design. You’ll be happy you did.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:47 AM   #25
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
You have a robust collection of watches. I came to Omega already owning Rolex, IWC, Breitling, Panerai. My advice when choosing which Speedmaster Professional is best for you is to go with the Hesalite. Yes, it plays with and distorts light. Yes, it’s more true to the original. The truth is that your Omega will never feel like your other pieces; especially the Speedy Pro. There’s too much vintage about it to ever bring it in league with the quality of other similarly priced chronographs out there. Love it for what it is: a 1960s watch that is out of its time. I love that my Speedmaster shows scratches a little easier, that the crystal is plastic, that movement isn’t fancy or in house. There’s nothing wrong with sapphire, but to me, it’s trying to make the Speedmaster Professional something it isn’t. Embrace the rattle, the plastic, the outdated simplistic design. You’ll be happy you did.
Well put!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:59 AM   #26
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

Sapphire rules!
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 06:38 AM   #27
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
I’m a recent Speedy convert... I have a modest collection of Rolex & Tudor watches, and for whatever reason, Omega has gone under my radar, all be it my father has a Seamaster 300m.

Recently, the Speedmaster range caught my eye, and I ‘needed’ to add one to the collection so was left with the same predicament..

I went Sapphire. Sole reason - case back. Rolex and Tudor don’t offer this choice and I have owned Panerai models previously and love looking through the back.. therefore it was an easy choice for me, and I don’t regret!

That said, I have now really upped my research game on all things Speedmaster, and I’m very keen on adding a vintage (hopefully 1979) Speedie in due course, which will of course have a plastic glass...

What a choice to have to make - good luck and wear in good health!

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:02 AM   #28
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is such a tough choice! The most historically significant is of course the Hesalite. There's something special about the way it looks and you can use Poly Watch to buff it out as needed every few years, if at all.

However, the scratch resistance in addition to an exhibition case back showcasing that iconic movement is hard to pass on really.

In your shoes I'm not too sure which one I would to with. As more of a a collectors item it has to be Hesalite. For actual use and to admire the movement sapphire is the only way.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:19 AM   #29
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Tough choice. I'd go hesalite just to avoid the milky ring. No matter what, I would strongly recommend that you try on the watch before buying. Not only to determine hesalite/sapphire, but also to try winding the crown. Some can be stiff.

No matter what, I think you'll find the Speedmaster community probably the most encouraging, least snobbish watch community there is. No matter your reference, everyone's just excited to see another Speedy being enjoyed.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:40 PM   #30
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Hey Brian. I voted Hesalite. Although I’ve never owned one, the clean look of the dial as opposed to the white ring the sapphire creates, and the historic accuracy is what pulls me into this version.