The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2020, 02:27 PM   #1
woowoo
Banned

What would you do to revive Panerai?

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating.

Was trying to think of fun interesting discussion and this question came to mind:

A little more context for those unfamiliar, back in the day, say ~20 years ago, Panerai was such a hot brand: I remember when there were hot new releases, waiting lists, many models almost impossible to get, would sell above retail, used models would hold their value, Panerai were one of the must have watches, there was a buzz about them, you looked cool in them, you felt cool, people noticed you had the hot new thing on your wrist. For lack of better wording, they were cool and popular.

And to a certain extent they still are kinda cool and popular. But nothing like before.

Disclaimer: you might be saying to yourself that you are happy with the current state of the brand, you don't care about any of the above, in fact you may be glad Panerai doesn't have the hype of other luxury brands like Rolex or AP and you prefer there not being hard to get new Panerai models you want to be seen in that everyone wants. Great!!! This thread is not for you.

Just posing this question to maybe generate a fun discussion about what you would do. New models? Advertising idea? Fix the old scandals better? Sizing? Pricing? What would you do to revive Panerai to its former glory?
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:52 PM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Is all about the hype , that’s what’s driving the other brands. Except Rolex, because Rolex has a hype already embedded in our brains for decades.
Imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:56 PM   #3
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Thanks for the post; not clear what they should except make less of each model? Or buy back inventory?

Off the top of my head in no particular order:

1) They went Due route, people complained about WR

2)They went in house and got rid of their dependence on eta, people complained about service costs

3)Because their design is so simple and elegant; unfortunately it is too easy to fake; in house movement and sapphire back is best they can do

4) They went into the exotic materials route; only backfire was composite; but all other materials I would consider successful... of course no issues is better than one

5) The released 38mm luminors and 42mm subs??? I think those subs are pretty popular but was taken aback when I read about a 38mm luminor.

6) 1940 radiomir design is a success and has relativelythinner cases

7) released 70 yr warranties???

8) Treat their loyal Risti’s well by giving them limited editions

In all seriousness, you cannot accuse Panerai for not trying to expand their market.

But probably too many copies of each model? Hard to say without knowing their real numbers. All we know is their resale price is not good at the moment, but is it that much than everyone else except rolex and some niche micro brands?

They prolly did the calculus that says it’s better to build x units (ie 2000) and make sure all the boutiques/ADs have all the models than to let a customer walk out disappointed because the watch wasn’t in stock?

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:58 PM   #4
woowoo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Is all about the hype
Yo Jorge, honored you replied to this thread man. You are one of the VIP OG's of TRF. Hope you're doing well.

I guess my question would what could Panerai do to rebuild hype again?
Old 28 November 2020, 03:01 PM   #5
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Thanks for the post; not clear what they should except make less of each model? Or buy back inventory?

Off the top of my head in no particular order:

2)They went in house and got rid of their dependence on eta, people complained about service costs

3)Because their design is so simple and elegant; unfortunately it is too easy to fake; in house movement and sapphire back is best they can do

4) They went into the exotic materials route; only backfire was composite; but all other materials I would consider successful... of course no issues is better than one

5) The released 38mm luminors and 42mm subs??? I think those subs are pretty popular but was taken aback when I read about a 38mm luminor.

6) 1940 radiomir design is a success and has relativelythinner cases

7) released 70 yr warranties???

In all seriousness, you cannot accuse Panerai for not trying to expand their market.

But probably too many copies of each model? Hard to say without knowing their real numbers. All we know is their resale price is not good at the moment, but is it that much than everyone else except rolex and some niche micro brands?

They prolly did the calculus that says it’s better to build x units (ie 2000) and make sure all the boutiques/ADs have all the models than to let a customer walk out disappointed because the watch wasn’t in stock?

Just to add to my bias, I have 3 models in the 3XX, so I haven’t considered anything since 2012?

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 03:08 PM   #6
woowoo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post

5) The released 38mm luminors and 42mm subs???

Great reply. Thank you. Agree with much of what you said, in particular the points above.

I think for a dive watch brand, they have made mistakes with not having enough water resistance. The technology is there. 100M should be the minimum, but this is something other brands miss the point on too. People want WR, give it to them.

I think the sizing thing is one of their unique selling points and while they can offer small watches they should keep the large size models.

Do you think Panerai should work on releasing a watch with a totally new fresh design, they are basically 2-3 designs for years now. Think an entirely new watch, like AP's CODE, is worth trying?

I also wonder how much being part of Richemont holds back the brand from trying new things or from encroaching on other brands territory. Panerai isn't what it used to be but they still fit their little niche in Richemonts portfolio and maybe there is pressure not to change that.
Old 28 November 2020, 03:59 PM   #7
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
They gotta make it exclusive again; Limit the production runs, streamline the model line up and accept that the design language is probably not for everyone rather than producing new models regularly that try to cater to a mainstream audience; In a sense, literally go back to their early/pre-Vendome roots.

I know that it’s counter intuitive from a business standpoint because as a for-profit enterprise, Richemont ‘s goal is to increase revenues and ultimately grow the bottomline. But in the highly competitive luxury watch market, brands need to think outside the box and go beyond the conventional business model. Unless you are a Rolex, Patek or AP with the iconic models/money makers and pristine provenance to boot, you’d have to think of other ways to be relevant and build your own brand identity. Look no further to what brands like Richard Mille or (to a lesser extent) MB&F have done in the past decade. Moreover, Richemont has a host of other mainstream luxury brands that can drive sales revenue for their total portfolio but few (probably just Lange) that are “equity” drivers.

Panerai has taken a few missteps in the last few years and nothing will take those blemishes out of their rep anytime soon but going back to their roots will be a good first step to repairing their image IMO.

Oh and finally, for people who will frown on Panerai if they prioritize “exclusivity”/lack of availability and not having models below 44mm, they just need to accept that they are not the market for Panerai and move on to other brands.

jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:55 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

These posts about how Panerai have lost their way are ridiculous. I’m sure to Richemont they are doing things right and selling more watches than ever. Smaller watches for Asian and female market, low water-resistance and snap-on cases because these new customers won’t go further than a paddling pool.
Have they lost the core fans of old (maybe a few thousand) probably yes. Are they any less successful, definitely not.
Btw I have a first series dot dial 233 and no interest in their new pieces.
Old 28 November 2020, 06:04 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

There’s nothing to “revive”. Compared to 20 years ago, they have better movements, better materials, a much wider selection, more availability, better distribution...

What Panerai no longer has is the hype of being “the new thing” and excessively limited quantities produced. Neither of those can change. Also, prices have gotten a bit out of hand. Doubtful that can change.

Have they always made right choices? No, far from it. But, they are trying and are always interesting (and yes sometimes infuriating).

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 07:03 PM   #10
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
I wish they stick to in-house movements only and not the generic Richemont calibre. Rest all is fine. Panerai is still on the game and most of us wear it because its still a rare watch in the wild.
Old 28 November 2020, 08:41 PM   #11
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
There’s nothing to “revive”. Compared to 20 years ago, they have better movements, better materials, a much wider selection, more availability, better distribution...

What Panerai no longer has is the hype of being “the new thing” and excessively limited quantities produced. Neither of those can change. Also, prices have gotten a bit out of hand. Doubtful that can change.

Have they always made right choices? No, far from it. But, they are trying and are always interesting (and yes sometimes infuriating).

This. I love all the focus on new materials within the brand. The only issue I have with the brand right now is pricing, and that is only on some models.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:22 PM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Personally don't see any 'major' downturn', in fact i see the opposite as sales seem quite good. Service / warranty is excellent, and pricing seems in-line so that's not the problem imho.

Agree about limiting production, yet also limit the overall number of models / varients as well. Sometimes too many choices works against a company.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 11:20 PM   #13
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I succumbed to the hype 15years ago. Bought one but it soon became my least favorite amongst my collection.

But I'd kept it and sold it only 3yrs ago.

I think the market has moved on to smaller diameter watches. And the loyals who bought 20 - 15yrs ago have aged and have different taste.

So I suggest for Panerai to consider releasing smaller size (not chunky) and introduce a different category - away from Marina and Radiomir DNA as I find them passe'.

Unlike OPs, DJ and Subs who are timeless and classic.
Old 28 November 2020, 11:41 PM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junamuan View Post
I succumbed to the hype 15years ago. Bought one but it soon became my least favorite amongst my collection.

But I'd kept it and sold it only 3yrs ago.

I think the market has moved on to smaller diameter watches. And the loyals who bought 20 - 15yrs ago have aged and have different taste.

So I suggest for Panerai to consider releasing smaller size (not chunky) and introduce a different category - away from Marina and Radiomir DNA as I find them passe'.

Unlike OPs, DJ and Subs who are timeless and classic.
The only reason I still wear Panerai 17 years later is because of their watches that have lots of DNA. They have been making 47mm dive watches for over 80 years. If I want to wear a smaller watch I wear a Rolex. Classic and timeless for Panerai equals big, chunky 47mm watches just like classic and timeless for Rolex are 40/36mm watches.

PS I think they are doing just fine as well!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:12 AM   #15
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Stop putting the date on most of their models.
Old 29 November 2020, 01:34 AM   #16
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
If I want to wear a smaller watch I wear a Rolex. Classic and timeless for Panerai equals big, chunky 47mm watches just like classic and timeless for Rolex are 40/36mm watches.
Nailed it.

For better or worse, Panerai is seen as a purveyor of big, historically-styled dive watches. Either that’s your thing, or it isn’t.

If it is, Panerai’s got you covered - and, if it isn’t, you’re probably going to dismiss Panerai as a brand without ever diving deep enough (pun intended) into the catalog to find a 38mm Luminor Due.

So, what does Panerai need to do? Quit diluting the formula. Accept their identity and lean into it. Panerai doesn’t appeal to everyone, and that’s ok. Anything with universal appeal is, by definition, gonna be a bit bland.

By all means, keep playing around with materials - that keeps things interesting - but don’t lose that ‘Panerai DNA’ in the process.
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:49 AM   #17
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpe View Post
Nailed it.

For better or worse, Panerai is seen as a purveyor of big, historically-styled dive watches. Either that’s your thing, or it isn’t.

If it is, Panerai’s got you covered - and, if it isn’t, you’re probably going to dismiss Panerai as a brand without ever diving deep enough (pun intended) into the catalog to find a 38mm Luminor Due.

So, what does Panerai need to do? Quit diluting the formula. Accept their identity and lean into it. Panerai doesn’t appeal to everyone, and that’s ok. Anything with universal appeal is, by definition, gonna be a bit bland.

By all means, keep playing around with materials - that keeps things interesting - but don’t lose that ‘Panerai DNA’ in the process.
My thoughts exactly
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:51 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
The only reason I still wear Panerai 17 years later is because of their watches that have lots of DNA. They have been making 47mm dive watches for over 80 years. If I want to wear a smaller watch I wear a Rolex. Classic and timeless for Panerai equals big, chunky 47mm watches just like classic and timeless for Rolex are 40/36mm watches.

PS I think they are doing just fine as well!
Can’t add anything to what these guys said
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:33 AM   #19
djyolky
Banned

I just bought my first Panerai, a 1312 with in house movement. I'm really enjoying it but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the noise of the movement. Why is it so audible and why did they let that happen?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:02 AM   #20
turpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I'm really enjoying it but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the noise of the movement. Why is it so audible and why did they let that happen?
Honestly, and this just just anecdotal evidence, every one of the watches I’ve ever owned that was loud in this way had a sapphire caseback, so it may be that.

I had a Patek 5066 a few years ago, and that thing sounded like a mosquito every time the rotor moved. So loud that the first couple of times it happened I actually thought it was a mosquito buzzing me.
Old 29 November 2020, 04:08 AM   #21
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, and this just just anecdotal evidence, every one of the watches I’ve ever owned that was loud in this way had a sapphire caseback, so it may be that.

I had a Patek 5066 a few years ago, and that thing sounded like a mosquito every time the rotor moved. So loud that the first couple of times it happened I actually thought it was a mosquito buzzing me.
Interesting. This is my first display case back so I didn't know that! It's not a big deal, but it's very noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:12 AM   #22
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I heard it could be to do with the rotor being on ball bearings? A few people said the same about the new Rolex movements. My 392 was the same and I did not like it but now all my PAM’s are manual so no longer an issue.
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:24 AM   #23
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
Yo Jorge, honored you replied to this thread man. You are one of the VIP OG's of TRF. Hope you're doing well.

I guess my question would what could Panerai do to rebuild hype again?

Nothing , can’t be done. Panerai is filling a spot that only they can fill. It might not have retention value but their prices are reasonable so it’s matter less.
In my eyes there is nothing to revive, they could some tweaks here and there to make it better though.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:39 AM   #24
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

I strongly believe that people of a certain generation (millennial) love the "hype" of something hard to get. I can walk into a watch store and find a completely full case of the range of Panerai watches. I believe this is to the detriment in comparison to other brands.
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:13 AM   #25
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have always concentrated in Rolex, Patek and AP but during the virus took a bite of Panerai. Big and has a powerful unique look. I love it, keeps great time and makes me smile when I look at it. I could become a real fan!
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:22 AM   #26
turpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballkm21 View Post
I strongly believe that people of a certain generation (millennial) love the "hype" of something hard to get.
I don’t know that it’s really millennials there, bud - it’s probably more of a Gen. X (of which I am a part) thing.

After all, it was us that popularized decrying our favorite bands for ‘selling out’ because they finally saw some commercial success, and it was us that rebelled against the conspicuous consumption of the 80s - not by trying to consume less (heaven forbid!), but by trying to prove ourselves connoisseurs by obtaining the hard-to-find expensive stuff. ‘I’m not just rich, I’m also discerning.’

Also, to be fair, nothing is truly hard to get in this day & age.

If I wanted a Panerai 6152 with the original Rolex movement, I could have one on my doorstep by the middle of next week, as long as I’ve got $140k burning a hole in my pocket.

Paul Newman 6263? On my wrist in a few days, as long as I don’t mind paying whatever ‘Price On Request’ ends up being.

5711? That’ll be $80k, please. Also with me before next weekend.

Hard to afford, on the other hand, is becoming all-too-common, thanks to the (perceived or real) scarcity of the ‘hot items’ of the day, and a secondary market full of speculators looking to monetize that scarcity.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!
Old 29 November 2020, 11:57 AM   #27
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Panerai with Platinum cases! Big and heavy. One thing always bothered me was gold Panerai should have gold movements not standard steel movements.

I predict a re-interest in the Pre-vendors and especially the Slytech. If I had extra cash I’d be buying all the Slytech I could get my hands on for investment purpose.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 05:42 PM   #28
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
Panerai with Platinum cases! Big and heavy. One thing always bothered me was gold Panerai should have gold movements not standard steel movements.

I predict a re-interest in the Pre-vendors and especially the Slytech. If I had extra cash I’d be buying all the Slytech I could get my hands on for investment purpose.
Oh no the word ‘investment’ and watches again.
Old 29 November 2020, 05:44 PM   #29
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nailed it.

I see it the other way around. Old school ‘Ristis’ complaining about the Due line and the smaller pieces and not the core big stuff the majority aren’t buying on mass. It’s these smaller pieces that clearly are selling.
Old 30 November 2020, 02:10 AM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I like Panerai right where they are. I detest the vapid hype that surrounds Rolex. I think Panerai is once again returning to a “enthusiast brand”. I like the internal direction of Panerai with better in house movements and advanced watch building materials. I feel like I am actually getting my money’s worth with Panerai. I think most people that buy luxury watch’s can afford anything they want but no one wants to buy a $30 BigMac and that is what “hype” does to a factory made brand.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote