The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Random Thoughts on Possible new Speedmaster

So like many here, I am following the post on the (possible-who knows could be a hoax) new speedmaster specs. My first impression was, fantastic movement. Accurate and antimagnetic and extremely relevant for today's use. The stepped dial and applied logo look fantastic. (im not a fan of the new bracelet-too much taper)

That said, part of what appealed to me about the speedy, is that its basically a new vintage watch that has been basically unchanged since the late 60's. Its a version that while maybe not worn on the moon like the 321 models, has logged thousands of hours in space exploration. This new release while paying tribute to the past, is a thoroughly modern watch, no doubt about it. However, this shift, in my eyes puts it in the category of the submariner or navitimer. Watches that look and are somewhat like their older counterparts, but very much evolved and modern. This new watch will be no closer to the moonwatch than the current navitimer is to the 806 (not talking about the reissue here) or the current sub to the sub James Bond wore in Dr. No.

I feel like this new watch is a de-coupling from their history, lets face it, the speedy is getting replaced by the x-33 more and more as well. Will this be the start of more frequent tweaking by omega to the moonwatch, or will this be untouched for the next 25+ years? Who knows, but this version while fantastic, is farther and farther from the original. Some may say who cares. But mechanical watches even for those of us like myself that wear them as tools, are less and less relevant today and so the historical connection is significant in my eye. If this new version actually gets worn by astronauts, and builds that credibility, I may change my perspective here. However, I for one am doubtful that this watch will actually see much time in space at all, and may end up really being a tribute like the FIOS or new 321 version. Simply homages to the past. The current speedmaster is the moonwatch and until the new version starts logging hours in space, its an homage.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote