The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2020, 04:38 AM   #1
jackminny15
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changin'
Seamaster AT or Diver?

If you had to pick one of these two Seamasters, the Aqua Terra or the Diver 300, which would you choose and why? Rubber strap or bracelet? If you have one of these, why did you pick the model you did?

I had been planning to get an Aqua Terra, but I am starting to like the diver a little bit better, other than the fact that it's a bit thicker and heavier than the AT. I also really prefer the look of the rubber strap on the AT than the one that comes with the diver, but there's just something about the look of the diver that really appeals to me.

Curious to hear opinions all around!
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 05:00 AM   #2
-dustin

AT on rubber.

Don't like the bezel on the Diver...or the wavy dial, really.

Don't know what magic sauce Omega uses in their rubber straps, but I much prefer them over the bracelets.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 05:14 AM   #3
alllexandru

Seamaster AT or Diver?

Prefer Diver first then AT
Rubber for Sedna if Diver or bracelet for steel
Bracelet for AT or rubber if Sedna or full gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 05:50 AM   #4
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I prefer the AT on rubber. Full disclaimer - I own one. It is light on the strap but you still feel the heft and always find the perfect fit unlike on the bracelet that has not micro-adjustment.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Kernow
Banned

Diver for me
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:31 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
The AT is very versatile, and I love the one I've had for seven years. Also, the AT uses Caliber 8900 (in the 41mm case), and it's my opinion that this is a better caliber than the 8800 used in the diver's watch.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:59 AM   #7
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Seamaster and always on steel if you're going to Ever change straps. Rubber, leather etc are always cheaper to add later than the OEM steel as it's almost half price attached to the watch.

But for an outstanding look I'd go with an aftermarket Milanese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:44 AM   #8
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
If its your first, then Diver 300 for sure and on bracelet.

If its your second or third then AT, super versatile. Also on bracelet, add the straps after. Bracelet is much more expensive to buy and also impacts the value if you do choose to sell the watch.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:09 AM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Seamaster and always on steel if you're going to Ever change straps. Rubber, leather etc are always cheaper to add later than the OEM steel as it's almost half price attached to the watch.

But for an outstanding look I'd go with an aftermarket Milanese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hold the horses, where'd you get that bracelet and how is it compatible with the omega deployant!! that looks great,
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:18 AM   #10
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

I had the same dilemma and went with the AT. Like others have mentioned it’s very versatile.
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:40 AM   #11
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Diver for me. I own one, so take my comment for what it’s worth. I like the bracelet as well. I like the size of the Diver. I do not like the shape of the hour markers on the AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:56 AM   #12
jackminny15

Haha, well, this thread has been no help, it’s like 50-50 ....

For any of you who have it on rubber, whether AT or diver, is it top heavy? The Omegas are thicker and heavier than Rolexes, so I worry about the watch feeling heavy at the case on a rubber strap.
Old 5 December 2020, 11:06 AM   #13
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post
Haha, well, this thread has been no help, it’s like 50-50 ....

For any of you who have it on rubber, whether AT or diver, is it top heavy? The Omegas are thicker and heavier than Rolexes, so I worry about the watch feeling heavy at the case on a rubber strap.

You can get both for less than a sub! That's my recommendation. Haha
Old 5 December 2020, 11:15 AM   #14
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I have both and the AT gets much more wrist time.

The AT bracelet is gorgeous, and on the rubber strap the watch is very light. It is the watch in my quiver that is most complemented on.

My advice, buy the AT.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:40 PM   #15
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Hold the horses, where'd you get that bracelet and how is it compatible with the omega deployant!! that looks great,
It looks like the omega NTTD bracelet and deployant to me. Very nice, and very expensive also!
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 06:45 PM   #16
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Just want to raise a point about the cost of having both the bracelet and OEM strap/deployant for the Aqua Terra: I have read in other threads on this subject that the most cost-efficient way to have both is to purchase the watch on rubber and then purchase the bracelet separately. This is because the MSRP for the watch on rubber is less than the watch on a bracelet, and the cost of the strap/deployant/end-links (required) add up to a bit more than one might expect.

It sounds like the OP prefers the AT on a strap instead of the bracelet, in which case it's a safe bet to proceed with purchasing the watch on the strap.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:19 PM   #17
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

jackminny15 -- great inquiry. I have both models, as well as the Planet Ocean, all bought new this year from my AD, and all are outstanding. None wear top-heavy at all; instead, in my view, they wear slimmer than Rolex (due to their flatter casebacks - Rolex has a greater caseback elevation/protrusion).

My PO is black dial, as is my SMP 300, and my AT is white-ish/silver dial (the "Rory"). I'm an attorney who wears suits on the reg, and I rotate all my watches equally. My favorite is the PO, so much so in fact, that I sold my brand new Sea-Dweller for profit and purchased the new Sub (the PO is, pound-for-pound, a better watch, IMO). Regardless, if you opt for the SMP, go for the black dial as the waves are less obtrusive. They all look cool in the store, but the waves are much less "in your face" on the black.

If I could do it over again on the AT, I'd go for the green dial. White/silver dials wear visually bigger, and Omega's green on the AT is a stunner (VERY sublime). The ONLY thing I dislike about the AT are the PCLs, so I promptly sent it to RollieWorks and the buffed them so that the bracelet is now entirely brushed. Cost me $265 and worth every penny. And the only thing I dislike about the SMP is there's zero taper on the bracelet. Believe it or not, my PO wears more comfortably in comparison to the SMP because the PO's bracelet has a slight taper. Plus, the links on the PO's bracelet are shaped with a kind of curvature that just feels awesome. The links on the bracelet for both the AT and SMP are flat; although all hug the wrist beautifully.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:22 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
With a larger collection I would add the AT but in a smaller collection my choice would be the diver on the bracelet and add the rubber strap and some NATO's.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:43 PM   #19
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Both are beautiful but I prefer the diver
Old 6 December 2020, 12:20 AM   #20
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Probably the diver, but that's because I prefer a watch with something I can play around with. But the blue, green, and white AT's are really something else.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 01:30 AM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think it's really dependent on what's in your collection currently. If you already have several divers go AT

The AT can dress up a lot more easily that the 300. But it also can go casual/sport with no problem.

If you're more of a one-watch guy I think the 300M is the more impressive watch. The ceramic bezel is gorgeous and the wave dial gives it a nice dose of personality

Prefer the strap far and away on the 300. Their rubber strap is just perfect and incredibly comfortable. Looks so sharp too matching up with the bezel. Not a fan of the 300 bracelet. Design looks too fancy and it really needs to taper more to the clasp. Looks kind of bulky.

On the AT, I tried one on recently at an OB on bracelet and REALLY liked it. It has the hidden clasp system and they keep it simple with just three links across and the polished center link gives it just enough bling.

I hear the rubber strap on the AT is great too buy I've never gotten to try one

So I guess watch vs watch I prefer the diver. But as part of a collection can't go wrong with either

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:01 AM   #22
puppet
"TRF" Member

I am a big fan of the current AT. Changing the date to the 6 position sealed it for me. I like the symmetry. Had my eye on one for a while and it's about time to pull the trigger. The rubber with the small metal insert/endlink is really nicely done and very light to wear. My plan is both rubber and bracelet. Part of my criteria for next watch is smooth bezel/no numbers. I have a few divers and the GMT, so I want something "clean" and the AT fits that.

The 300 is a fantastic watch, especially the new iterations. Admittedly, I go a little hot/cold with the sword hands. I know it's blasphemy to some. But I don't have the budget to keep one around for the days when I like them. lol. I went with the Planet Ocean 2500 a few years back as my Omega diver and it won't be getting replaced any time soon.

For me, the PO/AT combo will be perfect, until I add a Speedy to round out my Omega collection.

Thankfully, both watches are REALLY well done, and fairly readily available. I think this is a case of trying them all on side by side and seeing which one sings to you. And as someone already mentioned, you can get both for less than a Sub
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:20 AM   #23
wjj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II BLNR
After getting tired of being on Rolex waiting lists, I broadened my horizons and bought the Diver last year. Chrome dial and blue bezel. Bought it on the bracelet but the OB threw in the blue rubber strap for free. I put it on the rubber right away and never went back to the bracelet. Bracelet is kind of clunky though I liked the micro adjustment clasp. Looks great and very comfortable on the blue rubber strap. Recently I added an AT Golf (white dial, blue hands, red and blue markers, gold second hand). I bought it on the bracelet which I find to be much better than the diver bracelet. I looked at the blue rubber strap but it is crazy expensive when you add up all of the components needed.

Which to buy depends on the look you want. I wear my Datejust II and the AT interchangeably and the diver and my Rolex GMT BLNR interchangeably. I think they complement one another. One thing I like on the AT is the GMT-style hour hand for easy setting over time zones. Both the Diver and AT have been very accurate - comparable to my DJ and BLNR.
wjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:27 AM   #24
jackminny15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think it's really dependent on what's in your collection currently. If you already have several divers go AT

The AT can dress up a lot more easily that the 300. But it also can go casual/sport with no problem.

If you're more of a one-watch guy I think the 300M is the more impressive watch. The ceramic bezel is gorgeous and the wave dial gives it a nice dose of personality

Prefer the strap far and away on the 300. Their rubber strap is just perfect and incredibly comfortable. Looks so sharp too matching up with the bezel. Not a fan of the 300 bracelet. Design looks too fancy and it really needs to taper more to the clasp. Looks kind of bulky.

On the AT, I tried one on recently at an OB on bracelet and REALLY liked it. It has the hidden clasp system and they keep it simple with just three links across and the polished center link gives it just enough bling.

I hear the rubber strap on the AT is great too buy I've never gotten to try one

So I guess watch vs watch I prefer the diver. But as part of a collection can't go wrong with either

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
That's a fair point. Right now I have four watches in my collection: a Rolex 126613 "Bluesy" submariner; a Rolex 116400GV Milgauss (black dial); a Rolex 126300 "Wimbledon" Datejust 41 on jubilee bracelet with smooth bezel; and a Tudor 1926 white dial.

The 1926 and the Datejust are my "dress" watches, which I wear primarily for dress occasions. I am an attorney so I frequently have to wear suits, and these watches pair well with most every color suit I own.

The Milgauss is worn both dressy and casual, but more casual. I like the polished center links to dress the watch up a little bit when needed. I am not a fan of the all-brushed look of the Rolex oyster bracelet on the Sub and the Explorer, etc., for this reason -- I find it much harder to dress up the watch when it's all brushed. The PCLs on the Milgauss give it just a hint of additional dressiness that I feel the watch needs with formal attire.

Lastly is the Bluesy. The watch is gorgeous and I wear it both casually and dressy, but typically more dressy (though not "formal"). I usually try to keep it color-complimentary, though, so I generally won't wear it with a black or dark grey suit -- usually only with light gray or blue.

For this Omega -- which may be the last in my collection for a while since we just bought a new house -- I am looking for something as more of an every-day wearer, but that I could still pair up with a suit if I wanted to. I do believe the AT gives me better flexibility to do that; it just seems to dress up better, especially on the bracelet with the PCLs. That said, I really like the light weight of the rubber strap, and the rubber strap on the AT is gorgeous, especially with the stitching to make it look like leather from a distance. My problem with the AT is the dial. I find it a little bland, and that's what got me interested in the diver. I really love the ceramic bezel of the diver and I think the wave pattern on the dial is awesome. But I think the strap is pretty bland (especially if I wanted to wear it dressy) and the dial, while gorgeous, may not be quite right for a dressy occasion.

Basically I think the perfect watch would be a black diver on the black rubber AT strap. I believe someone on here showed off some pictures doing that, although it's beyond my abilities, haha. I suppose I could take it in to have that accomplished ....
Old 6 December 2020, 02:32 AM   #25
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

As a one watch collection or for versatility, the AT on bracelet is the clear winner for me.

As a representative of Omega in collection of multiple brands, the Diver 300 on bracelet is a great current incarnation of the diver heritage/modern Bond ethos.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:37 AM   #26
Wolfgang427

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
I would go with the Diver on bracelet, you can't beat it as an everyday watch and you won't find a better diver for the price.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 03:54 AM   #27
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Its the same bracelet that's on The Bond Edition, "No Time to Die".....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0ECEB192-14A9-46BD-9AA2-A530945F5318_1_201_a.jpeg (263.0 KB, 225 views)
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 11:07 PM   #28
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliam View Post
jackminny15 -- great inquiry. I have both models, as well as the Planet Ocean, all bought new this year from my AD, and all are outstanding. None wear top-heavy at all; instead, in my view, they wear slimmer than Rolex (due to their flatter casebacks - Rolex has a greater caseback elevation/protrusion).

My PO is black dial, as is my SMP 300, and my AT is white-ish/silver dial (the "Rory"). I'm an attorney who wears suits on the reg, and I rotate all my watches equally. My favorite is the PO, so much so in fact, that I sold my brand new Sea-Dweller for profit and purchased the new Sub (the PO is, pound-for-pound, a better watch, IMO). Regardless, if you opt for the SMP, go for the black dial as the waves are less obtrusive. They all look cool in the store, but the waves are much less "in your face" on the black.

If I could do it over again on the AT, I'd go for the green dial. White/silver dials wear visually bigger, and Omega's green on the AT is a stunner (VERY sublime). The ONLY thing I dislike about the AT are the PCLs, so I promptly sent it to RollieWorks and the buffed them so that the bracelet is now entirely brushed. Cost me $265 and worth every penny. And the only thing I dislike about the SMP is there's zero taper on the bracelet. Believe it or not, my PO wears more comfortably in comparison to the SMP because the PO's bracelet has a slight taper. Plus, the links on the PO's bracelet are shaped with a kind of curvature that just feels awesome. The links on the bracelet for both the AT and SMP are flat; although all hug the wrist beautifully.

excellent review! i enjoyed reading this, thank you for the genuine insight
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 11:12 PM   #29
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
The AT is more formal. It really depends on what you want. If you prefer a more sportier watch, go for the 300M. As far as looks go, there's no bad answer.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 04:03 AM   #30
juve
"TRF" Member

AT for me
juve is offline   Reply With Quote