The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 June 2017, 12:07 AM   #1
eknick
"TRF" Member

Issues with Mrbronzo

Original post by mrbronzo selling an AP 15300:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=543340

We went back and forth several times with some questions regarding the watch and since his profile is thin. I did a google search and found his social media profile and also links to his physical business in NY. That really eased my mind about his authenticity and I was ready to pull the trigger. I was intrigued enough to overlook the first red flag: mrbronzo used different emails for all his previous posts.

The second red flag was when I had questions regarding the service history and the type of buckle of the watch, he sent me 2 pictures of an AP which was from an archived post way back in 2010. (which I didn't know at the time, and later he claim was only because he wanted to show me the type of watch I was buying)

Mrbronzo gave me a bank wire account supposedly belong to his wife. When I sent the wire, I took a screenshot and sent it to him as confirmation. I used JP Morgan Chase online banking for the wire, and when I created his recipient profile I used mrbronzo's name as 'nickname' for the account. This showed up in the confirmation and he was nervous. I explained several times that 'nickname' was only for my end to see and its a function of Chase to notate different recipient account, and the wire was directly to his wife.

Couple of hours went by I found out the wire was denied by his bank to due suspicion of fraud activity. Mrbronzo also sent me an email asking me to talk to his bank, but the phone number of the banker he provided corresponds to a 7Eleven store when I googled it. (third red flag)

At first he claimed it was because his name showed up somewhere in the wire instead of his wife so the bank denied the transaction. I checked the detailed wire transcript and the only name that actually showed up on the wire was his wife's name per mrbronzo's instruction. I also confirmed with Chase that it was impossible that the 'nickname' will be included in the wire. (Chase user knows this)

So I concluded that the only reason mrbronzo's bank denied the wire was because he felt insecure and blocked it himself. I've never heard banks deny incoming wire, only outgoing ones, especially if mrbronzo knows that a wire was coming his way. At this point I've had enough, too many red flags and I've lost the wire transaction fee.

I can't be 100% sure it was a scam setup, but too many redflags. It might be just miscommunication, but for a business owner in the state of NY I expected much better communication to explain all the issues from his side. But so far he hasn't given any real explanations to the red flags I mentioned earlier. TBH it really could be miscommunication, but the risk was too much.

I've attached the email screenshot from mrbronzo using old pictures from the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (80.2 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (81.7 KB, 322 views)
eknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It was a scam. Mrbronzo's account was hacked and suspnded for a while, and it seems you got off lightly.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 12:39 PM   #3
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
How did you go so far as to actually try to wire money? Any red flag whatsoever and most of us would run the other way. Man, you are one lucky guy.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 05:25 PM   #4
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

UM... I saw 100 red flags there. You are very, very lucky.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

should have, would have, could have ... in the end the OP didn't get scam, good for you and thanks for sharing Eknick
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 11:37 PM   #6
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Wow, lady luck was definitely smiling on you.

I would suggest a little more caution on future purchases but I'm sure looking back you've probably come to that conclusion yourself.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 11:46 PM   #7
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
guess you're not scared of red flags.

Been seeing a few AP's here for too good to be true pricing. pretty much the only red flag I need
Old 17 June 2017, 04:51 AM   #8
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
how certain are you that the wire was declined?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 05:45 AM   #9
RebreatherDiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rotational
I was actively talking to MrBronzo as well this week, same watch.....clearly he is trying to sell this to as many as possible and even if everything else was legitimate, how can someone explain selling the same watch to two people in the same time......

Can the account and offer for sale be flagged to prevent future people from even talking to him?
Old 17 June 2017, 06:01 AM   #10
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I see 2 lucky guys in this thread ! Good for you guys
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 03:00 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Eknick, what did you mean when you wrote, "I can't be 100% sure it was a scam setup." Are you serious....you are asked to call his banker and the phone number belongs to a 7 Eleven.

My best advice for you is that you should only buy in person at an authorized dealer or you will be scammed.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 07:59 PM   #12
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Caveat emptor. Too many scammers out there, I'm only buying from trusted sellers on here, or new, I worked hard for my money, and want it to work hard for me and not give it to some low life scumbag scammer.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote