The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 February 2023, 01:40 AM   #1
KeenanK
"TRF" Member

1967 1601 Datejust timekeeping question

Hi all,

I’m lucky enough to have my father’s 1967 1601 Datejust.

I had it service recently and it was fast upon receiving it back.

I took it back to the jeweler and they adjusted it.

I have not timed it but believe it is still running fast.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys think is acceptable for a watch of that age?

I don’t want to raise a fuss with my jeweler unless it is warranted and I know the watch is pretty old but would think it shouldn’t gain 2 minutes in a week for example.

Thank you for your time.

Keenan
KeenanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 01:56 AM   #2
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
17 seconds a day fast would not be acceptable to me. Was this a real service person or just your neighborhood jewler?
Old 26 February 2023, 02:37 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think that 17s per day is not terrible for a watch of that age. Sometimes you get lucky and an old watch will keep very good time. But if the watch has not been serviced regularly, parts are often quite worn, and the watch will not necessarily run within original specs without major efforts. As a result, one often finds significant positional variation, and the timekeeping will depend greatly on how the watch is worn.

If it's important to you, you may need to find a top-notch watchmaker who is willing to source replacement parts and perform a full and careful restoration of the movement. Most watchmakers don't want to do this, and most customers don't want to pay for it.
Old 26 February 2023, 09:59 AM   #4
KeenanK
"TRF" Member

It was a local jeweler I had done some few small repairs on other pieces over the the years with. Some jewelry purchases as well. Nice guy generally. Had earned my trust.

He had a third party of some kind service it. The service took many weeks cause of a vacation the watch maker was on. They didn’t seem to care that they stated 2 weeks and it turned into 4. I wouldn’t have cared about 4 weeks if it had functioned properly when I picked it up.

Lesson learned there. I’d go with a true watch maker as recommended here.

It was gaining 5 minutes a day prior and had been sitting unworn for about 20 years previous so shame on me for that one.

Anyways, this situation, my belief a link was removed when I took it back in for readjustment (no proof), plus negotiations on a vintage day date has soured me to the jeweler.

I just was thinking of taking it back again for adjustment but it sounds like it may not do any good because of lack of caring on their part. I’d have been happy to pay additional costs to make it right but no true guidance was offered and it seemed they really didn’t care, sadly.

Ended up buying a great 18239 white gold day date from Tropical Watch based on being recommended here instead of entertaining anything from that jeweler again.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Keenan
KeenanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 06:39 AM   #5
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My late father’s 1972 DJ was serviced in 2018 at RSC just before he died. I keep it in the safe and only wear it on special days to remember him, but it’s dead-on accurate. Within a couple of seconds a week easily.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 10:40 PM   #6
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
More important than accuracy is consistency as far as movement health is concerned. If your watch gains 17 seconds a day CONSISTENTLY then chances are the movement is healthy. If it gains UP TO 17 seconds a day but fluctuates considerably lower at times then your movement needs some help.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 12:29 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If that DJ is properly serviced, there is no reason it shouldn't keep COSC time (-4 to +6), despite its age.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote