The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 November 2022, 12:54 AM   #31
dddrees
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
dddrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Real Name: Dan
Location: USA
Watch: This N That
Posts: 33,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
I’ve spent a lot of time snowboarding and skiing over my lifetime and layering is the way to go. Cotton is a no go because it won’t wick sweat. I also recommend ventilation. Mandatory that you move your perspiration away from you body and stay dry.

Big puffy down jackets are good if you plan on just posing and for non active.
While in in the military I went through cold weather training in Alaska with 2 training exercises there as well as some fairly cold weather in Korea a few times. Layering is definitely the right way to go about it especially if you’re going to be out for longer periods of time and you plan on doing any physical activities. It’s extremely important to avoid getting wet especially in extreme cold weather and not just regulating your tempature.

However as an older more stationary individual my Canada Goose coats work real well for most things I need it for. Even real well when taking my morning and evening 2.5 mile walks. Granted I’m not always able to vent or open the coat enough to avoid complete perspiring but it’s not that big of an issue considering I will be going inside after the end of my walk.

So actually big puffy coats do serve a purpose other than just posing. Heck, even at temperatures below 0 degrees I wouldn’t have to worry about putting various layers of clothes on to just take my morning walk. It’s just one coat over a t-shirt, jeans, hat, and gloves and I’m gone. Now I must admit I have more than one but that’s because I have a few coats for temps above 10 and one coat for temps below 10 degrees, but I don’t need to have to put on various layers of clothing to stay warm.

Just as I don’t wish to go to the trouble of dressing in layers to get in and out of the car in real cold weather I don’t need to do that for my quick 45 minute walks either.
__________________
When it captures your imagination, that's when you know you have found your passion.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 08:22 AM   #32
Atone
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
Atone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Real Name: Jesse
Location: Los Angeles
Watch: TinTin!
Posts: 2,597
thanks for all the help. think i'm gonna get a canada goose down for low movement outdoors stuff and just use layers i have for working around the cabin
__________________
2 Factor Authentication Enabled
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #33
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 520
Have a look at Fjallraven jackets, especially ones using the G1000 material.

As others have said layering is definitely the way ahead. For that I cannot recommend merino wool highly enough. Have a look at the brands Icebreaker or Smartwool. There are several key benefits of merino wool over synthetic material. Well worth looking into.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #34
JohnnyH75
"TRF" Member
 
JohnnyH75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 115
pea coat kept warm . dry looks good too!!
JohnnyH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 09:18 AM   #35
dddrees
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
dddrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Real Name: Dan
Location: USA
Watch: This N That
Posts: 33,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
thanks for all the help. think i'm gonna get a canada goose down for low movement outdoors stuff and just use layers i have for working around the cabin
One of the great thing about Canada Goose is that they rate their coats with regards to various different tempatures. If you conduct a search on the forum you should be able to find a few good threads on Canada Goose coats.
__________________
When it captures your imagination, that's when you know you have found your passion.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 12:21 PM   #36
DocHorton
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: God Bless Texas
Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Posts: 1,304
For a true outdoor work coat, Carhartt or Duluth. You want something tough, and some of the ones posted are for hanging at the ski lodge drinking hot toddy's, not for cutting firewood or doing real work.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 01:52 PM   #37
avusblue
"TRF" Member
 
avusblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minn.
Posts: 163
I live in Minnesota, so I know what I'm talking about.

C'mon guys. Get with modern times. Tesla's now outperform traditional, old-fashioned, cars. So, on that note, here's the Tesla of jackets -- electric heat!!

And here's the best electric jacket:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1128_200871128

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 03:18 PM   #38
77T
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 38,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
I purchased an off grid cabin last spring. It sits at about 7000 ft and sees temps down to about 5 degrees below 0. I don’t have a great jacket for cold weather and need something kinda tough that I can cut/carry firewood, work outdoors and wear while bombing around in the Polaris on runs to find downed trees. Any suggestions?

I started looking online and just got too overwhelmed.

At those low temps, for the hard work, you need insulated tough double layered overalls, not just a jacket.
https://www.carhartt.com/product/104...e=undefined_SW

But for milder temps you can play in the Columbia jacket and snow pants through early Spring - but they aren’t work clothes in my definition.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:37 PM   #39
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
I live in Minnesota, so I know what I'm talking about.

C'mon guys. Get with modern times. Tesla's now outperform traditional, old-fashioned, cars. So, on that note, here's the Tesla of jackets -- electric heat!!

And here's the best electric jacket:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1128_200871128

I own a Berghaus Heat-Cell jacket. It’s powered by a battery roughly the size of the palm of your hand.

Yes it keeps the area of your body that is covered by the heat cells warm but the rest of your body (and arms) remain cold as the jacket is a soft shell type jacket. The jacket you posted also looks like a soft shell type jacket.

Personally, I would not recommend a heated jacket - unless you plan to wear it under a well insulated jacket.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:43 PM   #40
SearChart
TechXpert & 2022 Pledge Member
 
SearChart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,561
Fjällräven, Patagonia, The North Face, as outer layer. Merino base and/or fleece mid layers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rolex uses rare elves to polish the platinum. They have a union deal and make like $90 per hour and get time and half on weekends.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 01:29 AM   #41
NardinNut
2022 Pledge Member
 
NardinNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Real Name: Jordan
Location: Under a bridge do
Watch: The one I’m curren
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
I live in Minnesota, so I know what I'm talking about.

C'mon guys. Get with modern times. Tesla's now outperform traditional, old-fashioned, cars. So, on that note, here's the Tesla of jackets -- electric heat!!

And here's the best electric jacket:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1128_200871128


Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
I live in Minnesota, so I know what I'm talking about.

C'mon guys. Get with modern times. Tesla's now outperform traditional, old-fashioned, cars. So, on that note, here's the Tesla of jackets -- electric heat!!

And here's the best electric jacket:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1128_200871128


These are only great as a mid layer while snowmobiling to insulate your core. I wouldn’t wear one for outdoor work.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 01:58 AM   #42
RMF
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 15
You might consider the Filson Mackinaw Packer coat…
RMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 10:17 AM   #43
rlj676
"TRF" Member
 
rlj676's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: detroit
Posts: 473
I couldn’t imagine a $1500 Canada Goose for work lol. Why not a shiny moncler instead!

I’d skip anything “tech” for doing work, they just won’t hold up. Too likely to rip etc. some of their parkas from arcteryx etc might work, but it’s now $700 for a rough work coat? I have a ripped Arc Atom AR from doing light work around the house… I think rubbing on brick lightly did it lol.

Carhart or similar (Filson if rich) will be much more durable. Merino base layer to wick sweat and a puffer mid layer, different weights depending on weather, would be my plan.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 10:28 AM   #44
GradyPhilpott
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
GradyPhilpott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Mexico
Watch: Seiko 5
Posts: 33,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Fjällräven, Patagonia, The North Face, as outer layer. Merino base and/or fleece mid layers.
Hi, Bas!
__________________
JJ

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:17 PM   #45
wrx04
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Real Name: Chad
Location: MI
Posts: 83
https://www.filson.com/outerwear.html
Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 02:19 PM   #46
Malum
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Kurt
Location: Coachella Valley
Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Posts: 2,759
Kuhl lined burr jacket .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 03:56 PM   #47
shaunylw
2022 Rolex SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
shaunylw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 4,347
I have a Patagonia jacket that works well with layers. But I’m on the hunt for a cold weather jacket. Cold for me is 40* in Northern California .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 08:47 PM   #48
mountainjogger
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: H
Location: North Carolina
Watch: M99230B-0008
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Carhartt makes great cold weather work jackets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.
__________________
The King of Cool.
mountainjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 09:06 PM   #49
TK-710
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
TK-710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Upstate
Watch: 116600
Posts: 2,047
When I absolutely need to be warm I wear my Canada Goose. If I know I’m going to be extremely active outdoors and getting possibly dirty ( at work, hiking) I’ll layer and wear my Kuiu. Kuiu sells gear for hunting. So it is made for going from standing still for a long time to working hard. Now I don’t actually hunt so I’m not recommending it for that but it’s a great jacket for outside activities.

Most of their stuff is advertised in camouflage but almost everything they sell has non camo colored options. They sell their gear with four temperature ratings Frigid, Cold, Mild and Hot.
__________________
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 12:10 AM   #50
TRS1
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: US
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
While in in the military I went through cold weather training in Alaska with 2 training exercises there as well as some fairly cold weather in Korea a few times. Layering is definitely the right way to go about it especially if you’re going to be out for longer periods of time and you plan on doing any physical activities. It’s extremely important to avoid getting wet especially in extreme cold weather and not just regulating your tempature.

However as an older more stationary individual my Canada Goose coats work real well for most things I need it for. Even real well when taking my morning and evening 2.5 mile walks. Granted I’m not always able to vent or open the coat enough to avoid complete perspiring but it’s not that big of an issue considering I will be going inside after the end of my walk.

So actually big puffy coats do serve a purpose other than just posing. Heck, even at temperatures below 0 degrees I wouldn’t have to worry about putting various layers of clothes on to just take my morning walk. It’s just one coat over a t-shirt, jeans, hat, and gloves and I’m gone. Now I must admit I have more than one but that’s because I have a few coats for temps above 10 and one coat for temps below 10 degrees, but I don’t need to have to put on various layers of clothing to stay warm.

Just as I don’t wish to go to the trouble of dressing in layers to get in and out of the car in real cold weather I don’t need to do that for my quick 45 minute walks either.
Posing was not an appropriate word I should’ve used and obviously large expensive puffy down jackets have their place. And I agree with you 100%.

I was more speaking from a point of exertion such as what the OP described his use needs and, of course, my own.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 12:35 AM   #51
daveathall
2022 GMT-MASTER II Pledge Member
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: Dave
Location: England.
Watch: Various
Posts: 7,043
I would give Patagonia and The North Face a good look.
__________________
KINDEST REGARDS

DAVE


daveathall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 11:45 PM   #52
dddrees
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
dddrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Real Name: Dan
Location: USA
Watch: This N That
Posts: 33,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
Posing was not an appropriate word I should’ve used and obviously large expensive puffy down jackets have their place. And I agree with you 100%.

I was more speaking from a point of exertion such as what the OP described his use needs and, of course, my own.


I agree, they do. So if nothing else no matter the reason I think it was good that was pointed out.
__________________
When it captures your imagination, that's when you know you have found your passion.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 12:11 AM   #53
50L
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: belgium
Posts: 21
Just go with a real leather jacket. Wear some layers under. Search for one with perfect arm lenght and you will still be able to see your watch!
50L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2022, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.