The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 12 August 2014, 06:42 AM   #1
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Bob Ridley Issues.

I hesitated creating this post for a couple of weeks.

I am reluctant to say anything negative about such a revered member of the Rolex community but is anyone experiencing and issues with Bob Ridley of late?

I have not been able to reach him for a couple of weeks, he has a watch of mine, and I am trying to get it returned. At a minimum, it is enough o say that that is not a great business practice, IMO.

As well, my most recent experience with them was a bit unusual and leaves me feeling less confident. If anyone is interested I will share the story privately initially because it could be coincidence, inadvertence, honest mistake, etc.

Again, not using the forum to trash....but it is an open and honest exchange of info and maybe helpful
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Thanks for the heads up. You've gone about this in the right way IMO. Keep a level head, hope everything turns out ok
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 06:52 AM   #3
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 12 August 2014, 07:31 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Good luck Ed!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 07:33 AM   #5
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 12 August 2014, 07:45 AM   #6
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Like most good watchmakers, I'm under the impression that he and his staff are extremely busy. The lack of communication is quite annoying but no cause for alarm. I'm sure he will do a stellar job and in the end it will have been well worth the wait.
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 07:50 AM   #7
iclick
"TRF" Member

I recall this thread on the same subject.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 08:26 AM   #8
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
I've never had any issues and he just finished another watch for me. Sometimes slow to respond, but never more than a few days. Its just him and Barbara, so sometimes it takes a few days to get a response...but Ive never waited longer than that.
He does amazing work.
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 08:37 AM   #9
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting.

It's not just the lack of communication there is the issue with my watch. But other work he has done has been fine.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 12 August 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

OP I understand your frustrations and reluctance to post. I had my Sub 6205 completely redone by Bob knowing that the end result would be the best that could possibly be achieved...and I was correct once the work was completed. Bob's work and reputation are unparalleled in the industry.
On the issue of less than perfect communications...I had the same experience and frustrations ; but, at the end of the day, I figured that was just part of the deal in getting stellar work by a true icon in the Vintage Rolex restoration business.
ALL of my verbal and written interactions with Bob (I ended up speaking with him at length about my Sub on three different occasions) and Barbara were highly professional.
My sense is that they are a very small operation and they are inundated with communications and projects that they are being asked to take on...I feel fortunate that Bob was able and willing to take my 6205 project on and know that the value of the watch if forever enhanced because of his involvement with it.
My advice...be patient and stay focused on what will no doubt be an outstanding outcome with the work you have contracted Bob to do for you.
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 10:49 AM   #11
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Frank- thanks for the thoughtful response but it assumes much. The issue I am having is with the work (secondarily with the communication) and precisely because of his reputation I believe the watch was subcontracted out to someone, perhaps because he is so busy.

I have heard form others now that yes, he has one or more persons working under him. I wish this was known to me, in particular when I got quoted for the work. That is new info as of today to me that he is not working on all the watches personally. Can anyone else verify this?

The watch was returned to me in a surprising state. Things that point to the hands of another person working on the watch. And it was the lack of forthrightness when bringing this up that concerns me. He never addressed the issue personally, but through Barbara, albeit very politely. Further, not to my satisfaction. If I had a customer contacting me with the concern I presented him, and I was in THIS line of work, I would be alarmed, not invisible.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 12 August 2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

Wow...sorry to hear that!
I do believe Bob now has another certified watchmaker working with/for him on some of his less intricate projects. That said...I could not agree more with your concerns and would hope that Bob treasure his reputation enough to do "whatever it takes" to make it right.
Bob...if your reading (and we all know you do)...please step up and intervene personally on this issue and help bring us all a satisfactory ending to the story.
Best of luck and kind thoughts to all...
Frank
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 11:46 AM   #13
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
Frank- thanks for the thoughtful response but it assumes much. The issue I am having is with the work (secondarily with the communication) and precisely because of his reputation I believe the watch was subcontracted out to someone, perhaps because he is so busy.

I have heard form others now that yes, he has one or more persons working under him. I wish this was known to me, in particular when I got quoted for the work. That is new info as of today to me that he is not working on all the watches personally. Can anyone else verify this?

The watch was returned to me in a surprising state. Things that point to the hands of another person working on the watch. And it was the lack of forthrightness when bringing this up that concerns me. He never addressed the issue personally, but through Barbara, albeit very politely. Further, not to my satisfaction. If I had a customer contacting me with the concern I presented him, and I was in THIS line of work, I would be alarmed, not invisible.
Hi Ed, sorry to hear about your issues. As far back as I can remember his sons have worked along side him. If I recall correctly there are three watchmaker benches at his shop.

Cd
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 12:26 PM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

so what's the issue??
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 12:13 AM   #15
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viknijjar View Post
so what's the issue??
His issue seems to be one of not being able to elicit a response over a period of several weeks despite attempting on a number of occasions.

I guess his main concern is that his vintage Rolex watch is currently not in his possession but in the possession of someone that he cannot obtain any sort of communication with.

Hope that helps.
Old 13 August 2014, 12:45 AM   #16
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I needed to send my watch for service a few months back. Barbara responded to my initial email within a few days but then never replied when I said I wanted to go ahead with the service. My watch is now in the capable hands of Rik! I never did hear back from Barbara/Bob...
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 01:35 AM   #17
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
I can see not getting a response for a few days but weeks? That's not acceptable imo. I'd be pretty upset right about now, especially with the prices he is charging. Goodluck OP. I'm sure everything will work out for u.

Btw I spoke with Bob a few months ago and he told me over the phone that he hired a certified watchmaker and that he would provide Bob ridley like service at a discounted price. He did say he would be doing more modern watches while Bob focused on the vintage. Things may have changed since then.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 03:30 AM   #18
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Update

It was NOT Bob Ridley like service. The watch came back damaged, and with the case back apparently hand tightened, as the case back fell off (in my house) some days later.

The damage consists of 4 distinct double hash marks at the case back, which suggest (and I am not an expert or even close) that it was opened with a pry type device. This coupled with the fact that the watch case back literally fell off on its own accord suggest to me that the watch was opened, serviced and then closed by someone other than a master. Again, I do not have alot of experience but I do have a fair amount of common sense. If the caseback was so sticky that it needed more than a knurled opener, that should have elicited a call to see if I wanted that. The fact that the case back was hand tightened, suggests that it was not officially closed (or tested). Again, the second part could be chaulked up to human error, mistakes happen.

In the interest of full disclosure they did offer to take the watch back (at my expense) and re tighten it...which is where we are with them having the watch (its done..they did call me 10 days ago to say that) and not returning calls. What troubles me is the lack of disclosure about how it got marked (damaged??)

The suggestion is that I sent it to them that way. While that is technically possible, I have no such device, have never tried to open a watch. It is also of course possible that the watch had those marks before and i never noticed them. It is after all 1967, but i never recall seeing them, they are quite distinct, and I have every service record for the watches life from Rolex, it never went anywhere else..except under my ownership it has been to Bob 2 times.

I would be interested in thoughtful opinions on this issue, not hit and run commentary..I may be over reacting. Plus I dont have the watch and cant reach them, although I suspect an August holiday.

I hope Bob does see this, and rather than excommunicate me as a customer, takes the issue to heart and if he has people in his employ, figure out what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
I can see not getting a response for a few days but weeks? That's not acceptable imo. I'd be pretty upset right about now, especially with the prices he is charging. Goodluck OP. I'm sure everything will work out for u.

Btw I spoke with Bob a few months ago and he told me over the phone that he hired a certified watchmaker and that he would provide Bob ridley like service at a discounted price. He did say he would be doing more modern watches while Bob focused on the vintage. Things may have changed since then.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 13 August 2014, 03:41 AM   #19
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Well here is where the problem lies... if you don't recall if the watch had or didn't have the marks, thats a huge problem. It is highly unlikely that this occurred under an professional watchmakers care. These marks are typically the result of an owner or dealer who doesn't know what he is doing. If you don't have photos of the watch before it left your hands, this is a problem. If its a vintage watch, from what Bob has told me, he is the one that handles it.
I can assure you that Bob would never cause this type of damage, but if some accident did happen...he is a gentleman and would know immediately and would have resolved the issue.

If you are uncertain of the condition before it left your hands, based on my experiences with Bob...Im going to say the the odds are highly against the damage occurring under Bob's care.

thats just my .02 based on the service experiences I have had.

EDIT:
I just re-read you post and noticed that you are the original owner. I assumed you bought the watch used.

I think you need to get on the phone and discuss this with Bob. Leave a message demanding a personal call asap.
Old 13 August 2014, 03:43 AM   #20
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Ed, I like your approach in this matter.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:08 AM   #21
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Ed, I like your approach in this matter.
Thanks...
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 13 August 2014, 04:20 AM   #22
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

With all due respect as to "where the problem lies";

1. the loose caseback is unambiguous...maybe less of an issue to some, but since these things are ostensibly "pressure tested"

2. I agree that "woulda coulda shoulda" but its always better to use facts over generalizations. Your countless positive experiences dont really bear on a specific case. The odds of getting hit by lighting are 1 in 10,000,000 but if you are the one to get hit its more like 1 in 1.

I did not try to open the watch. I have no incentive to make a post about a self inflicted wound. and against someone who's services I may want to rely on in the future.

3. I do not have irrefutable proof about the marks via hif def pictures before hand. My mind doesn't work that way, I didn't think I needed to recorded the watches condition although now I acknowledge its a very good idea.

If indeed the marks were there, it still leaves me uneasy to get a watch back that the caseback falls off....wouldnt that make you the reader uneasy as well? Just curious

4. I am not seeking any compensation from WI, because I acknowledge I can't prove the damage was done in their possession, nor am I trying to (but I think it did) .......but the sum total of the experience;
a) loose caseback - NG
b) Premium price quote
c) likeley damage in possession, 80% or better odds
d) poor communication as a standard transaction,
e) extremely poor communication surrounding a repair gone part wrong

....... leaves me uneasy and I felt should be passed along. Nothing more, nothing less. Its not the end of the world, its a watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
Well here is where the problem lies... if you don't recall if the watch had or didn't have the marks, thats a huge problem. It is highly unlikely that this occurred under an professional watchmakers care. These marks are typically the result of an owner or dealer who doesn't know what he is doing. If you don't have photos of the watch before it left your hands, this is a problem. If its a vintage watch, from what Bob has told me, he is the one that handles it.
I can assure you that Bob would never cause this type of damage, but if some accident did happen...he is a gentleman and would know immediately and would have resolved the issue.

If you are uncertain of the condition before it left your hands, based on my experiences with Bob...Im going to say the the odds are highly against the damage occurring under Bob's care.

thats just my .02 based on the service experiences I have had.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 13 August 2014, 04:53 AM   #23
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Ed, all I'm saying is that a professional watch maker knows how to open a case, and the odds of him slipping with his tool are slim to none. Further, if it did happen...I can't imagine he wouldn't have said something immediately...why would he try to hide it? and since you stated you weren't sure if the watch was already damaged...this is the problem (the fact that you don't know).

I think you overlooked my edited post above btw. When I wrote that I assumed you bought the watch used, and thats why you didn't know.

The loose case back is an entirely different matter.

Bottom line is you need to call Bob and demand a conversation immediately...only you two can work this out.
Old 13 August 2014, 04:56 AM   #24
bobbipiazza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
....f anyone is interested I will share the story privately initially because it could be coincidence, inadvertence, honest mistake, etc.

Again, not using the forum to trash....but it is an open and honest exchange of info and maybe helpful
We seldom respond in public to comments about our service - whether positive or negative - because we respect your opinions. As uncomfortable as it is to be criticized, Bob prefers to use it as opportunity to improve, rather than become defensive. Based on your feedback, we've modified policies, introduced competitive service pricing, improved turnaround, and are currently implementing new software so I can better keep up with communication - all these so we can better care for you and your watches.

This particular instance is different. In my opinion, the inferences of this post exceed what Forum members would generally consider reasonable, were the full facts presented. In the interests of "open and honest exchange", please contact me if anyone has remaining concerns.

Barbara Piazza
Watchmakers
bobbipiazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 05:20 AM   #25
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Update 2

I have since been contacted...just about the return.

I do not wish to make more of this than is there.

They have done very good work for me in the past

They are entitled to charge whatever their time is worth

A little more hand holding and concern and a more timely response would have been appreciated.

The matter on return of my watch will be considered closed by me.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 13 August 2014, 05:30 AM   #26
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Good luck with everything Ed.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 08:42 AM   #27
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I have since been contacted...just about the return.

I do not wish to make more of this than is there.

They have done very good work for me in the past

They are entitled to charge whatever their time is worth

A little more hand holding and concern and a more timely response would have been appreciated.

The matter on return of my watch will be considered closed by me.
Would you send them another watch for repair/service in future?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 11:15 AM   #28
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Not this time...

Guys, it’s not my habit to touch on what experiences we have with our clientele.

In the context of this thread, I understand that the owner of a treasured watch has feelings about that watch, and the more so if they believe damage has been done to it. And likewise, I too have feelings about my profession – and my own integrity –more so when I feel there’s been, shall I say, some mud-slinging. Therefore, I’ll touch on the two issues briefly.

As provided below, you can see that there are two impression marks at the outer edge of this 1016 case back which are 180 degrees from each other. The positioning of these two marks give me the opinion of being made by an improper tool, likely a case back opener with two jaws, as opposed to the proper knurled ring opener. The knurled tool could in no way cause impression marks like the one shown on this case back, even were the tool improperly used!

While it’s known that there are different tools made available to remove a case back, it’s also known that there’s only one proper tool to be used on this case back. In my shop – and for that matter, any CW21 /Rolex parts account shop – no watchmaker would even consider using another tool for opening a Rolex watch. I most often given clients the benefit of the doubt, but in this instance there’s just not a plausible set of circumstances. It’s not a matter of “it likely didn’t” happen, it’s one of those rarer “it couldn’t possibly have” scenarios. So, after careful review and thorough consideration, I gave an opinion that this damage did not occur while the watch was in my care.

As an aside, I found it interesting that the case back “fell off” at the same time the markings were found on the case back. Even so, I offered to seal and re-test the watch at no charge.

As to communication, well, all the above and more was conveyed during the process – In the month of July, start to finish, I recorded over 20 to & from emails; emails sent in order to care & explain . As far as my office knew, this issue was settled pending shipment.

As they say, th-th-th-th-that’s all folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impact markings.jpg (69.9 KB, 1451 views)
File Type: jpg Tool for case back.jpg (35.6 KB, 1443 views)
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 11:54 PM   #29
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Thanks Bob for clearing this up.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 12:29 AM   #30
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Looks like an open-and-shut case!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote