The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 June 2017, 07:40 AM   #61
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukewatch View Post
I am curious - How does one insure a watch for a trip to Italy?
My sub is covered through jewelers mutual. Worldwide for any reason
Old 23 June 2017, 07:42 AM   #62
Case61
2024 Pledge Member

I've been all over Italy several times with my watches (usually Sub), with no problem. As others caution, I am a little more careful in Naples.

Have a great time!
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:23 AM   #63
zerocool
"TRF" Member

Italy in general is very safe, but what most members advise is true, be cautious in Centrale station in Naples and also Termini in Rome (where I imagine your train will be departing from) if leaving at night. Even if you are insured, you don't want to put yourself in that kind of a situation.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:00 AM   #64
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Whenever I travel I always have situational awareness. Enjoy your trip

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:50 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In Rome, we were nearly robbed by thieves who were dressed as policemen in a police car, so they can be quite advanced. I'd be cautious.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:13 PM   #66
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

I was robbed in Capri, 60 Euro for a 10min taxi, 40 euro for a club sandwich and 12 euro for a .4ltr beer!
Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:00 PM   #67
dmash
"TRF" Member

Why do some people act like the US is the only safe place in the world? We're talking about Italy, not Rio at midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_lie View Post
I was robbed in Capri, 60 Euro for a 10min taxi, 40 euro for a club sandwich and 12 euro for a .4ltr beer!
Hahaha
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:56 PM   #68
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

I was in Naples and the Almafi coast last year with my sub, no problems whatsoever. Never even noticed anything that made me feel even vaguely uncomfortable, never gave wearing my watch a second thought. Wear it, there's no point in having nice things if you don't enjoy them.
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:42 PM   #69
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I'm living in Rome and travel to Naple ocassionaly, going to US next fall and on true I'm more concerned about "Is it safe to wear Rolex in NYC and LA")
As for Rome: be careful near train station and crowds of gypsies and refugees
Terrakot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:36 AM   #70
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

I vote that you leave your beautiful Sea Dweller at home and pick up any one of these three inexpensive, capable, fun watches and use them instead on your travels. When you're a tourist, you're more exposed. You can't just visit a destination, get in your car and drive home to the suburbs. You're always out in the open. So why even risk it at all. Get something inexpensive and don't look back. And enjoy a memorable journey!

Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:05 AM   #71
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
They love their watches. I have worn Omgea, UG and Rolex without trouble.
Daytona will get you more notice than a Ferrari.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:27 AM   #72
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Ah Italy....I love Italy. My first experience with Italy was back in the 90's when I could have bought a Panerai Mare Nostrum at a discount (Lira...remember those?) but bought a Bvlgari instead...FML. Anyways, been back to Italy several times since...like others have pointed out, pickpocketing is a problem as is general theft of various items. Situational awareness should be SOP (even at home). I've never personally lost anything there (and I've traveled with pricey DSLR camera rigs) but I know plenty of people who have (through various means). In Naples, I just assume everyone is on the take and running a scam of some sort...but they have great seafood. :) The cops in Italy don't give two bits about theft. They won't help you much if at all.

Personally, if it's a watch you really like, I'd leave it at home. When I travel, I only wear watches that can be easily/cheaply replaced (like a Seiko) or one that I'm not too concerned about loosing (like that now worthless Bvlgari...I don't think Italian thieves even bother stealing those).
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 05:02 AM   #73
run23
"TRF" Member

I'm wondering if some of the concern about watches being stolen are coming from people that don't live in or aren't used to cities in general (just a wild guess). I mean, the thought of being hesitant to take a watch to a Western European city for fear or being targeted seems almost ludicrously paranoid-- I'm NOT faulting someone for asking the question; if you don't know it's good to ask. If someone asked me if it were safe to wear a Daytona in NYC I'd unequivocally say yes. But my answer does assume that someone is generally aware of how to manage and avoid dangerous situations. Just because NYC is safe doesn't mean that it's a great idea to go Brownsville at 1am with your $15,000 watch to buy a dime bag.

My family lives a little north of Naples and we frequently do day trips for some pizza when I'm there, and it never occurred to me to feel unsafe in general, but of course there are areas I wouldn't necessarily wander into especially at night. But that has more to do with being mugged in general and not being targeted specifically for a watch, as well as just being nervous about not knowing the signs of danger in a different culture as well as I do in NYC.

Also, I'm certainly not a mugging expert, but I would guess a tourist is more likely to be targeted for his/her camera, smartphone and wallet, with the watch just a bonus in the mugging. After all, it's easier to tell if someone has a nice camera than a nice watch, and most people have smartphones now. That blingy looking piece of steel on someone's wrist could turn out to be an $80 Invicta or a fake, so why take the risk of mugging someone just for a watch?

HOWEVER, if you are going to spend a vacation worrying about your watch, then I guess leaving it at home isn't a bad idea as you should just enjoy your vacation without worry.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 06:37 AM   #74
Tanner
Banned

Well said
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 06:44 AM   #75
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
I have insurance but am concerned about how they plan to steal it!!!
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:12 AM   #76
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Ok. Just boarded. No one else seems worried. Just in our group we have my sub, a blnr, blinged out DJ and a yg DD40...
Old 25 June 2017, 08:17 AM   #77
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I think you have answered you own question. If you do not feel safe wearing it, then leave it home. Why take the risk if you don't have to?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 11:13 AM   #78
bigjon
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC TT, Sub C
I have a friend who had his two tone sub stolen right off his wrist in Rome. He was riding in a Taxi with the window open and a man on a motorcycle pulled up next to him and took it before he was aware of what was happening. I personally do not wear my expensive watches when I travel if I am unsure of the areas. To each his own. If you are worried, trust your instincts and don't make yourself a target.
bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:09 PM   #79
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my list of places i am mildly worried about wearing an expensive watch although i still would wear it.
chicago
detroit
LA
Atlanta
Oakland
St. Louis
Baltimore
NYC

Naples
I can assure you that one can be worn in St. Louis am I good to wear mine in London next month?:)
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:16 PM   #80
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon View Post
I have a friend who had his two tone sub stolen right off his wrist in Rome. He was riding in a Taxi with the window open and a man on a motorcycle pulled up next to him and took it before he was aware of what was happening. I personally do not wear my expensive watches when I travel if I am unsure of the areas. To each his own. If you are worried, trust your instincts and don't make yourself a target.
This is very rare in Rome. Purses, cameras and bags, yeah (I had a friend in Florence partially dragged down the street when someone on a Vespa grabbed her purse and she didn't let go right away), but it's really hard to get a Rolex bracelet off someone's wrist like that. That would be towards the bottom of my list of concerns in Rome.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 01:45 PM   #81
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

So many factors involved, if you are situationally aware and do not present yourself as a target or traveling in a larger group that will increase the percentages of nothing happening. I have seen some pretty heinous stuff go down on my travels, just because it hasn't happened to many doesn't mean it's not a concern. I personally try to refrain due to a bad experience.
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:07 PM   #82
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
This is very rare in Rome. Purses, cameras and bags, yeah (I had a friend in Florence partially dragged down the street when someone on a Vespa grabbed her purse and she didn't let go right away), but it's really hard to get a Rolex bracelet off someone's wrist like that. That would be towards the bottom of my list of concerns in Rome.
Exactly.

These 'stories' are usually something more along the lines of being completely drunk and he or she is embarrassed to admit what actually happened. Really, with my arm out the window somebody is going to casually pull up beside me, unclasp the watch, pull it off, all in such a swift manner that I 'don't even know what's happening'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatagoniaDan View Post
So many factors involved, if you are situationally aware and do not present yourself as a target or traveling in a larger group that will increase the percentages of nothing happening. I have seen some pretty heinous stuff go down on my travels, just because it hasn't happened to many doesn't mean it's not a concern. I personally try to refrain due to a bad experience.
Completely reasonable and sound advice. However it's overly paranoid these threads popping up as if a modern western country such as Italy has Rolex specific thieves on every corner. Most Western European countries are MUCH safer with theft than a lot of major US cities in my opinion.
Old 25 June 2017, 08:10 PM   #83
shafran
"TRF" Member

My hublot was stolen in naples

I made a wrong turn down onto a side street and someone pulled a knife with one hand and my hublot off my wrist with the other last summer.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:25 PM   #84
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Exactly.

These 'stories' are usually something more along the lines of being completely drunk and he or she is embarrassed to admit what actually happened. Really, with my arm out the window somebody is going to casually pull up beside me, unclasp the watch, pull it off, all in such a swift manner that I 'don't even know what's happening'.

Completely reasonable and sound advice. However it's overly paranoid these threads popping up as if a modern western country such as Italy has Rolex specific thieves on every corner. Most Western European countries are MUCH safer with theft than a lot of major US cities in my opinion.
Obviously you live in a bubble, European cities have lots of problems and crime rates are high
Old 25 June 2017, 08:33 PM   #85
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Obviously you live in a bubble, European cities have lots of problems and crime rates are high
I feel much safer walking around majority of EU cities than I did in a lot of parts of NYC, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta. Places I've lived.....

I never said EU is crime free, I'm saying it's silly people act like EU is drastically worse than the US.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:28 AM   #86
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Been in sorrento all day. Lots of Rolex's. no one seems alarmed.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:54 PM   #87
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

So far, just like in the US, no one cares
Old 26 June 2017, 08:48 PM   #88
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakyn101 View Post
I would be EXTREMELY careful when wearing it around Naples, especially the train station! I would never wear it.
Very good advice. As a matter of fact I would avoid Naples all together.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 09:29 PM   #89
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

If in doubt do not take the rolex with you.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:14 PM   #90
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

We (YG DD40, BLNR, diamond DJ, 16610) all wore ours for A tour of Pompei, no issue. Spotted many other Rolex pieces too

Back to the pool: