The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2017, 03:01 AM   #61
Gliderguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
With all due respect it is not possible to restore factory finish. Everything depends on the degree of perfection each person expects. But factory finish, not posible. My experience is to leave it alone no matter what. A scar is much easier to live with than any type of polish/restoration.
Gliderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:42 AM   #62
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliderguy View Post
With all due respect it is not possible to restore factory finish. Everything depends on the degree of perfection each person expects. But factory finish, not posible. My experience is to leave it alone no matter what. A scar is much easier to live with than any type of polish/restoration.
I am afraid I beg to disagree!
I can assure you that a few weeks ago whilst handling some building bricks I lightly scratched the highly polished edge of my SubC with date. The watch is not yet a year old.
What I wear in watches must be as near as perfect as possible, which is why I buy and expect of Rolex.
To walk around with a scratched watch? Not if I can help it!
With 'Autosol' cream and a lens cleaning cloth I was able to polish out the scratches to EQUAL the highly polished unscratched 'factory finished' edge on the other side of the clasp. I was quite surprising how 'soft' the stainless steel is.
However, I am not talking about removing 'scars', 'dents' & 'dings'.
But to obtain a 'factory finish' with light scratches? No problem.
Rolex technicians and those 'in the trade' are are not magicians but just human beings. I must admit I have experience of 'metals' but anyone with a bit of savvy can do surprisingly well.
I would like to add that 'Autosol' was used years ago in the UK for polishing out 'blueing' due to heat on chrome motorcycle exhaust pipes, when it was popular so to do.
After 4/5 years of wearing my Exp 39mm Mk1, the highly polished bezel was lightly scratched, which I was able to polish out with the above product.
But as always, each to his own!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:27 AM   #63
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Not true.

Love it. Made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:43 AM   #64
faldoc
"TRF" Member

I remember the first ding I got with my gold Date 15038 back in 1988. I was building a swing set for my son, and swinging my arm I hit the watch on the metal part of a saw horse. Dinged it good.

I stopped wearing the watch for a while, till my Mom who gave it to me asked why I wasn't wearing it. She told me to wear it, that's why she bought it for me. So I wore it a total of 10 years before buying a Citizen Eco-Drive which served as my daily watch for 20 years. The 15038 is my dress watch for special occasions, and now at Dallas RSC for service.

Now my SubC is my daily watch, with a few scratches and dings. It's a watch, for goodness sake, not a DaVinci...
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:59 AM   #65
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
I can assure you that a few weeks ago whilst handling some building bricks I lightly scratched the highly polished edge of my SubC with date. The watch is not yet a year old.
What I wear in watches must be as near as perfect as possible, which is why I buy and expect of Rolex.
With 'Autosol' cream and a lens cleaning cloth I was able to polish out the scratches to EQUAL the highly polished unscratched 'factory finished' edge on the other side of the clasp. I was quite surprising how 'soft' the stainless steel is.
Rolex technicians and those 'in the trade' are are not magicians but just human beings. I must admit I have experience of 'metals' but anyone with a bit of savvy can do surprisingly well.
I would like to add that 'Autosol' was used years ago in the UK for polishing out 'blueing' due to heat on chrome motorcycle exhaust pipes, when it was popular so to do.
After 4/5 years of wearing my Exp 39mm Mk1, the highly polished bezel was lightly scratched, which I was able to polish out with the above product.
Further to this post, I would like to advise that I have checked the thickness of the clasp edges, using a Moore & Wright Micrometer ( a standard of measuring tool recognised as being better than the average) to compare the side I hand polished (by elbow grease) with the original as supplied side and the difference in imperial measurement is 0.001 of an inch. (i.e. 1000 of an inch)
This means the scratches I removed were of this depth.
This leads me to further realise that if when watches are 'polished' by Rolex or those 'in the trade' and vast amounts of metal are removed, which people often say are, it is obvious that meachanical means are used for polishing.
This is of course for speed & quickness. i.e. 'in & out' the door as quickly as possible!
So, it is obvious, it is better to 'polish your own' by hand!
Old 23 June 2017, 06:13 AM   #66
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
The problem I have had with factory refinishing is the sharpness between the satin and shiny areas is not there in places. Best to leave it alone is my view.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:52 AM   #67
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Took a trip with the hulk to Hawaii a couple of days ago. Went paddle boarding, hiking and rock climbing. Got a couple of scuff marks on the clasp while trying to get on my paddle board. But surprised nothing happened during rock climbing.

Anyway, I bought this watch as my adventure watch and although it hurt at first, I knew the scratches were great memories. And after the fact, I feel as I am able to wear the watch more freely. It's kind of liberating. Echo many who have said it before, one scratch sucks, but a couple and you quickly forget.

Lastly, I think I would be more interested in talking to a guy/gal with a worn watch to hear its stories than a guy who had no scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:57 AM   #68
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
After owning my brand new Sd4k for a little over a week its incredible how little nicks start to show up. I am by no means tough on my watches but I do wear them but I am surprised how quickly they developed...kind of sad but such is life.

I haven't done anything with it other than daily wear and I have been sleeping with it on, wonder if that's what it is...? I wonder if it's also the lack of chamfer on the case edges, that's where I see them. My 10406M doesn't show near the marks on the case edge bevels.
That's because the 14060m is the toughest tool watch ever made. The rest of them now are just jewelry.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:54 PM   #69
Brookbond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhornsoff View Post

This is what mine BLNR bracelet looks like over 3 years. Impossible to keep a watch scratch free with young kids and work. Even if you keep it under your shirt, you will develop micro scratches and hazing on all the polished surfaces.

Why?...that looks beaten up...I have a yellow gold sub I wear every day for everything and it looks nothing like that...what ya doin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brookbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:58 PM   #70
Brookbond
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You're wrong. I was involved in an attempted theft that left terrible scratches and a big ding in the case. Took it to Rolex in London. Got it back and it was indistinguishable from when new...obviously in the literal sense you'd be right but in the real world...yes it can be returned to as good as new...fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brookbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:44 PM   #71
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
you're totally wrong ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:46 PM   #72
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The problem I have had with factory refinishing is the sharpness between the satin and shiny areas is not there in places. Best to leave it alone is my view.
now they can preserve/reproduce the sharpness as it was when the watch was brand new ;)
Old 23 June 2017, 05:52 PM   #73
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
The first scratch is the worst it REALLY hurts!!!!!
Oh, how right you are, my friend!
I got back my SDDS after RSC servicing it... Before i sent it i've been used it for 4 years h24 7/7, i had a great care of it but i used for everything... and there was some scratches, obliviously.
The watch returned as new, and two days ago i saw the first two scratches of my "new" watch... OCD at its best!
but... with everyday use... it pass... :)
Old 23 June 2017, 05:59 PM   #74
chows99
"TRF" Member

Peter99, I am curious about using autosol for watch polishing. Is it for brushed or shiny surface? How much do you apply each time? In circular motion? Thanks for sharing.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:58 PM   #75
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Peter99, I am curious about using autosol for watch polishing. Is it for brushed or shiny surface? How much do you apply each time? In circular motion? Thanks for sharing.
1) For the brushed surface I use a worn kitchen green cloth. No 'Autosol'. But it could initially be used to take down the scratched surface and then apply the green scotch cloth to give the brushed effect.
2) For the highly polished surfaces I use 'Autosol' cream. A small touch on a clean & washed soft lens cloth using a soft & slow circular motion watching carefully the surface.

Rolex polished surfaces are highly polished and do show up even the lightest of scratches but has the advantage of polishing up easily and to a high standard. Hence, why Rolex use it no doubt!

With the brushed surface the green scotch cloth must be used with care to avoid a polished surface.
For both 1) & 2) I apply carefully with patience in a clean environment being at all times realising that I am polishing items of value!

For myself it has been well worth while and as I often say: nothing ventured nothing gained!
Old 24 June 2017, 12:19 AM   #76
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
After owning my brand new Sd4k for a little over a week its incredible how little nicks start to show up. I am by no means tough on my watches but I do wear them but I am surprised how quickly they developed...kind of sad but such is life.

I haven't done anything with it other than daily wear and I have been sleeping with it on, wonder if that's what it is...? I wonder if it's also the lack of chamfer on the case edges, that's where I see them. My 10406M doesn't show near the marks on the case edge bevels.

Look upon it as Character, a personality all of its own, one day my wife (manicurist) was shocked whist looking at my hands, she mention she was saddened to see how scarred they were.... Years of Working with Fire and Steel me dears... besides, they don't hurt now,
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 06:30 AM   #77
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
Being 'classy' is not wearing a pristine, flashy watch. It's wearing an expensive but super-tough watch no matter what the occasion and forgetting that it's there.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
Very well said sir
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote