The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2017, 07:32 PM   #61
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Some nurses make like 75-100k and med techs make 50k. I think you missed the point, if the second part was a personal attack I would refer you back to the original point that nurses in the USA are fairly well paid and make much more than med techs who run the tests that are just as important to health care. I think we can probably agree c-suite executives actors/actresses and football basketball and baseball players may make too much. I'd probably also cut the pension to congressmen too.
The NHS in the UK is a very, very different proposition to health care in the USA. UK nurses are very poorly paid and most likely overworked by comparison.

We are often very guilty on this forum of not acknowledging the social, economic, cultural (and Rolex supply availability) differences which exist around the globe.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:14 PM   #62
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
guys, chill.

Mike was making a point; based on his experience. Sure, a bit shallow but he's a bit of a nut, and the reg's know that.

Tiger85 saw it and pounced on it like a fat kid on a M&M.

no harm or foul on either -- move on.

Wait .... Did you just call me fat
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:45 PM   #63
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
What would you say about my 2002 Honda Accord that's never broke one time?
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 10:53 PM   #64
Trazor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
...and as I'm standing in line, I'm just a smidgen self-conscious about my fancy Rolex GMT. :
For heavens sake man, you're a Rolex owner.

I think all Rolex owners who queue at the DMV should be on a raised level, so we can look down on the peasants / Riff Raff.
From there, we can shake our Rolex's at them and throw a few crumbs down.

Every 1000th Rolex owner in the queue should be allowed to raise a trapdoor and allow the Lions in.

Come on people...............
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 10:58 PM   #65
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

this post is interesting not only for its content but the way people interpret the "written word". I don't know the poster but I am sure he meant no disrespect to any group of people or otherwise. I can also see how his post can be interpreted in a way he did mean or expect. What we write online sometimes is not necessarily what we mean and we as a community have typically been pretty good at being flexible and understanding which is the nice part of being here.
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:03 PM   #66
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
guys, chill.

Mike was making a point; based on his experience. Sure, a bit shallow but he's a bit of a nut, and the reg's know that.

Tiger85 saw it and pounced on it like a fat kid on a M&M.

no harm or foul on either -- move on.
T
So if you are a bit of a nut or a bit shallow and if I recall another members post earlier this month who prefixed his misinformed diatribe with 'I may be wrong'.

Then everything is ok?

You get in the box Chewy..twit:

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:03 PM   #67
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Great responses folks, thanks. Including those that missed my point or didn't agree with my point.

Quote:
You made me laugh this morning, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I often feel the same way when I wear a Rolex. There's something inherently ridiculous about wearing expensive jewelry, after all, and I sometimes feel a little bit self-conscious about it. I use that self-consciousness as a reminder to be a bit more generous and aware. Seriously, no one wearing an $8k watch should ever leave a stingy tip. Donate to charities. Be mindful of the needs of the people around you. Simply put, if you can afford the watch then you can afford to do a little extra for people.
Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Im so broke that I went to KFC and licked other people fingers last night
Funny guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
this post is interesting not only for its content but the way people interpret the "written word". I don't know the poster but I am sure he meant no disrespect to any group of people or otherwise. I can also see how his post can be interpreted in a way he did mean or expect. What we write online sometimes is not necessarily what we mean and we as a community have typically been pretty good at being flexible and understanding which is the nice part of being here.
Thanks for that. I did not mean any disrespect, and I do apologize to anyone who took offense.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:17 PM   #68
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I get it.

I honestly have had similar thoughts in other places.
In the end, I feel blessed, grateful and the need to be generous to help others.

+1 Amen........
s2h904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:23 PM   #69
VIG
"TRF" Member

Watch: this!
A couple of months ago I was at the DMV renewing my license and the lady taking care of me complimented me on my Invicta.

I politely thanked her.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:53 PM   #70
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
A couple of months ago I was at the DMV renewing my license and the lady taking care of me complimented me on my Invicta.

I politely thanked her.
I see this come up quite often as well, "Nice Invicta". Is the Rolex look so diluted now, that everyone thinks we're all wearing Invicta's?
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:58 PM   #71
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

I politely thanked her.
And for the vast, vast majority of the "outside" world (meaning outside of this community of enthusiasts) this is entirely the correct response. Sometimes it's not so much the content of the transaction but the fact that one person took the chance to engage.
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:05 AM   #72
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Get AAA and go to their DMV
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:17 AM   #73
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

sitting @work on a Friday morning reading this thread is a great way to finish the week ... what a laugh here !

if you have a Rolex and need to wear long sleeves, put it in a bag, say its fake, hide from others, care too much about what people think ........... just don't get one then
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:27 AM   #74
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
However a med tech requires far less knowledge and social skills. Not a knock on med techs at all, just saying.

That's like comparing a haematologist and a phlebotomist.
I think almost all medtechs have at least a two year degree and many have a four year degree some have masters all have to be accredited iirc. I don't think your statement is true beyond the personal skills. They have different knowledge.

When I dated a doctor then later a medtech I was shocked at how smart the medtech was tbh that being said I am not an expert in these matters and could be wrong but the metaphor you provided (haematologist and a phlebotomist) is hyperbole as it implies all nurses have MDs.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:20 AM   #75
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazor View Post

I think all Rolex owners who queue at the DMV should be on a raised level, so we can look down on the peasants / Riff Raff.

Every 1000th Rolex owner in the queue should be allowed to raise a trapdoor and allow the Lions in.

breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:52 AM   #76
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I believe the OP just had a moment of reflection. I too, look at people and reflect on my privilege, choices, hard work, education, and interests. In my profession, I have met successful people that do not earn much money, but they work hard and love their families. I have met many privileged individuals that are unhappy and poor human beings.
We all make decisions to be a little different by what we wear or value; the difference is being comfortable with those decisions. Are they genuine or for the benefit of others that may or may not judge you for them? You must decide these questions for yourself.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 02:12 AM   #77
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Wait .... Did you just call me fat
NEVER! you're the class in the joint Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
So if you are a bit of a nut or a bit shallow and if I recall another members post earlier this month who prefixed his misinformed diatribe with 'I may be wrong'.

Then everything is ok?

You get in the box Chewy..twit:
it works for my ex wives.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 02:28 AM   #78
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
No one at the DMV cares about anything but getting out of the DMV...
Probably pretty much true at every DMV office in the country.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 02:58 AM   #79
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
There are certain places where a GMT is front pocket change for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just took a vacation to Newport Beach. Seemed like it was front pocket change for the entire area!!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:40 AM   #80
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:

pounced on it like a fat kid on a M&M.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:07 AM   #81
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiH115 View Post
This post rings so true for me. I'm a typical white collar worker, but I don't make anywhere near what some of the people on here make, so I am humbled when I come here as well. I've worked very hard to afford my BLNR, drive a modest car, and have a nice place to live. I don't look down on people that don't have those things, as I'm sure they've got their own happiness causing "agents" so to speak. OP definitely is cautious about his way of life, but he's grateful for it, and that's what matters. I don't flash my watch, but I do look at it quite often throughout the day, as a reminder of what it took to be able to procure it.
BTW, if your avatar shows your car, that is no 'modest' car... enjoy it in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Get AAA and go to their DMV
Best advice EVER!!!

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:37 AM   #82
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
BTW, if your avatar shows your car, that is no 'modest' car... enjoy it in good health!
Haha, no, it's just a picture I found online of a Turbo (my ideal car, a 997 of course).

I've got a 'modest' '13 911 4s (I kid, it's a fantastic car I've lusted after, and the price was too good to pass up).
Old 24 June 2017, 05:02 AM   #83
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazor View Post

I agree. As a Rolex owner you never should have been at the DMV with the commoners in the first place. Personally, I don't need to bother with the DMV at all - my servants carry me and my Rolex around in a palanquin so I don't need a car.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 05:28 AM   #84
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
My technique is to bring a stack of Benjamins to hand out to the most nefarious & shady looking characters there. That way I feel better about my privilege, and figure I'll have the right ones in my side in case the rest of the peasants rise up to revolt and try to steal my watch!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 05:38 AM   #85
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Personally I would not worry about it. You worked hard for your money and if watches are your hobby so be it. Some people wear fancy cloths have ultra nice cars the list go's on. Wear it proud and enjoy it you deserve it.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 05:51 AM   #86
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Personally I would not worry about it. You worked hard for your money and if watches are your hobby so be it. Some people wear fancy cloths have ultra nice cars the list go's on. Wear it proud and enjoy it you deserve it.
The thing is, there are always going to be people that speak without thinking, all too common nowadays. The mere mention or visual of something like a Rolex is enough to trigger these people (someone told me "Congrats on your pricey compensator" just for posting a picture of my watch). I absolutely don't blame people for wanting to hide their watches...but that doesn't mean you should. If anything, wear it proud (you don't have to flash it in people's face of course), but be proud you are fortunate enough to buy nice things.
Old 24 June 2017, 06:45 AM   #87
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

The prob with the OP is the line "not everbody is as fortunate as me"
What if the people there have all been lucky in love, have great health and beautiful families. Don't assume they are not fortunate based on their bling.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 06:53 AM   #88
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I get the OP was feeling a little guilty, we all do sometimes, esp those of us in the UK who have seen a wave of tragedies strike recently at the most vulnerable in our society. However on the flip side I've met a couple of young guys recently who see my Rolex and Nautilus as aspirational and I can see it spurs them on to work hard and get one for themselves. So there's silver in every cloud. There has to be.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 07:26 AM   #89
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiH115 View Post
Haha, no, it's just a picture I found online of a Turbo (my ideal car, a 997 of course).

I've got a 'modest' '13 911 4s (I kid, it's a fantastic car I've lusted after, and the price was too good to pass up).
So did you drive the 991 to the DMV?
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 08:00 AM   #90
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I think almost all medtechs have at least a two year degree and many have a four year degree some have masters all have to be accredited iirc. I don't think your statement is true beyond the personal skills. They have different knowledge.

When I dated a doctor then later a medtech I was shocked at how smart the medtech was tbh that being said I am not an expert in these matters and could be wrong but the metaphor you provided (haematologist and a phlebotomist) is hyperbole as it implies all nurses have MDs.
You're over analyzing. I'm simply using two workers in the same field (as did you) but one has more education.

And I assure you, only Master's person who is a med tech, is perhaps a bio major who couldn't get into medical school and can't find other work. But the master's wasn't a necessity, could of had a 2 year. Lol nobody goes 6-7 years to school to become a tech.

Furthermore you have a 'nursing field' that encompasses something as simple as a LPN but goes all the way up to a nurse practitioner specializing in a certain area who has about as much freedom as a MD (and in my experience is sometimes a better provider).

*by the way, this is all referring to medical technicians, as that's a 'med tech'. If you're talking about a medical technologist that's a different career and different education, but you don't commonly refer to this as a 'med tech'.

But this is off topic, back to DMV talk
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote