The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2024, 03:59 AM   #1
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Fed Ex ISSUE / Warning

After experiencing this ongoing debacle I would highly suggest NEVER USING FED EX for shipping to Germany again. ABSOLUTELY 100% NEVER.

I sent a SINN UX to SINN factory on 3/14. It still hasn't been delivered yet.

Why? Well, FED EX in parts of Germany uses a third party delivery company named "Hermes" for the final delivery.

The package got to Germany just fine. Cleared customs. Went out for delivery....but then the tracking said that SINN refused the package and that's that.

Package went back to FED EX.

Well, I emailed SINN and they stated that they never refused the package and the driver left a slip that package was refused and left. Why would they would that? I've had drivers to that me in the US. Not deliver the package but leave a slip?

Going back and forth with FED EX customer service (who all the agents sound like they are underwater blowing bubbles) has led me to either the watch will be attempted to be redelivered, me pay to have it sent back to US or let the German customs destroy it!!!!

This third party company, "Hermes" is allegedly absolutely terrible. Reviews state this is very common occurrence. I didn't know that FED EX farmed out their shipping..

Then Fed Ex told me I should have SINN go pick it up. Ok, that's not happening. So then I forwarded FED EX the email from SINN stating that they didn't refuse the package. Fed EX will now try to reach out to SINN and see if they will accept it? If not, I have until the April 3rd to pay to send it back to me or it will be DESTROYED. WTF....

So, please DO NOT use Fed Ex to ship to SINN. I had used UPS on two other occasions and it went without a hitch. I think they are still using their own people for the final delivery in Germany...

So we shall see how this turns out.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 05:15 AM   #2
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

DHL for anything into/out of Germany. Every time. Most of the EU for that matter.
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 05:22 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk65 View Post
DHL for anything into/out of Germany. Every time. Most of the EU for that matter.

Lessoned learned for sure.

I'm still not confident that my watch doesn't end up "destroyed" for no #@$!%!% reason.

This cost me $160 to ship it..and they won't ship it back without me paying again for it to come back. This is just unacceptably ridiculous.
Old 30 March 2024, 06:16 AM   #4
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Not good. There aren't any SINN service centres in the US??
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:28 AM   #5
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Pay the money and get it back before something worse happens.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:36 AM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Agree. Plus DHL for anything going to the middle east.

Never FedEx international.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:55 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Oh my goodness, so sorry you're having to deal with this. I've also had very pleasant experiences with DHL prior.

My fingers are crossed that this is resolved swiftly to your satisfaction.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:06 AM   #8
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
100%

The only watch I sold on C24 was to a man in southern Italy. I asked how he wanted it shipped (because he would be paying). He said something along the lines of "whatever is cheapest." So, I went to the post office (USPS). Definitely cost less than $100 but it sure took its time. USPS could track it on its journey throughout CONUS, all the way to Germany then Italy where it was turned over to the Italian equivalent of USPS. No shipping updates after that until it was finally delivered over a week later. In hind sight: I would've used DHL if it was something I sincerely cared about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Pay the money and get it back before something worse happens.
Yup! This is what I'd do as well.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:20 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Can you use DHL to ship from the US to Germany?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 08:46 AM   #10
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Yes
Old 30 March 2024, 08:57 AM   #11
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Yes. Usually not the cheapest option but by far the most reliable.
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 06:32 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Hermes have a terrible reputation here in the UK too. We try to avoid them. Hope this gets sorted for you.
Old 30 March 2024, 09:57 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry to hear this. I hope you get it sorted out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 10:22 PM   #14
emtee
"TRF" Member

Hermes rebranded themselves to Evri here in the UK and one of the reasons was to try and move away from the terrible reputation that they had built up.

Unfortunately the majority of companies now use them to deliver online orders because they are much cheaper compared to the likes of DPD and DHL.

A lot does depend on your delivery driver and how much of a crap they give, the ones that deliver to us are actually pretty good now but I’ve had a few annoying incidents in the past.

As your contract is with FedEx and not Hermes they should absolutely be bending over backwards to make this right instead of blaming their subcontractors but sounds like you’re going to have to kick up a major fuss to get them to do the right thing. You could try shaming them into doing something on Facebook/Twitter etc. Best of luck.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 12:10 AM   #15
T16ole
"TRF" Member

I bought a watch recently and an AirTag came in the parcel thought it was a good idea
T16ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:26 AM   #16
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Hermes rebranded themselves to Evri here in the UK and one of the reasons was to try and move away from the terrible reputation that they had built up.

Unfortunately the majority of companies now use them to deliver online orders because they are much cheaper compared to the likes of DPD and DHL.

A lot does depend on your delivery driver and how much of a crap they give, the ones that deliver to us are actually pretty good now but I’ve had a few annoying incidents in the past.

As your contract is with FedEx and not Hermes they should absolutely be bending over backwards to make this right instead of blaming their subcontractors but sounds like you’re going to have to kick up a major fuss to get them to do the right thing. You could try shaming them into doing something on Facebook/Twitter etc. Best of luck.

You're absolutely right. They kept trying to get either me or Sinn to contact Hermes...I responded that I have no idea who Hermes is, it was not mentioned or in any of my shipping details that Fed Ex would be passing this off for final delivery and I didn't pay them to deliver the package.

I realize this is pinnacle of first world problems, but all this corporate cost cutting really shows itself these days...in everything.
Old 1 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve never shipped a watch to Europe, but I have shipped some, and received some expensive clothing from Europe and Japan. Seems to me DHL is the carrier of choice

Sorry to hear about this debacle.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:57 AM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Unless you expressly released FedEx from their duty of care, then their subcontractor's (whatever name they use) negligence accrues to FedEx.

Under the circumstances, if you want your watch back, and if FedEx's last ditch effort doesn't yield success, pay the fee to get your watch back,

Then file a presidential complaint in writing about the FedEx subcontractor's failure. Include your being "coerced" to pay for their incompetence under threat of personal property destruction.

I agree with Brian - when you get it back - use DHL if you ship it to Sinn again. Or find a local watchmaker who can sort it out.

Much success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 03:16 AM   #19
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Fed-Ex ground service in the US is also farmed out to third parties although their trucks and vans are decked out in Fed-Ex graphics.
Tri-Tip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 04:22 AM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Unless you expressly released FedEx from their duty of care, then their subcontractor's (whatever name they use) negligence accrues to FedEx.

Under the circumstances, if you want your watch back, and if FedEx's last ditch effort doesn't yield success, pay the fee to get your watch back,

Then file a presidential complaint in writing about the FedEx subcontractor's failure. Include your being "coerced" to pay for their incompetence under threat of personal property destruction.

I agree with Brian - when you get it back - use DHL if you ship it to Sinn again. Or find a local watchmaker who can sort it out.

Much success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good advice. Especially being coerced to pay for their incompetence under threat of destruction....I cannot explain how furious I was when the "agent" nonchalantly said that to me. I just wanted my watch delivered to get fixed...now it's under an ultimatum of destruction? GTFO.

But then I realized it's not a life and safety issue and I need my reptile brain to chill out, get the adrenaline to stop flowing and think this through.

If they can deliver the watch, fine. If not, I'll pay the return fee and then complain everywhere possible to get all my $$$ back...then ship DHL.
Old 1 April 2024, 08:28 AM   #21
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
Fed-Ex ground service in the US is also farmed out to third parties although their trucks and vans are decked out in Fed-Ex graphics.
FedEx Ground has lost or damaged more shipments to me than all other carriers combined. Anything that looks valuable (e.g. monitors shipped in original boxes) gets pilfered.

I read recently that FedEx wants to contract out all their deliveries. I’ll never use them again if the whole business turns into FedEx Ground.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 10:04 PM   #22
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Been a while since I've shipped to Europe and can't remember who I used. But currently DHL is my go to for shipping to or from Europe. Their tracking & communication is top notch. It doesn't hurt DHL's main US hub is 7 minutes from my home.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 12:40 AM   #23
themast
"TRF" Member

I am actually going through a FedEx International debacle just now... but in the opposite direction. Not watch related but I got a shipment from Italy to the US, sent via FedEx, and split in two packages.
Packages were separated during transport and one arrived in Memphis and one in Newark (go figure). Shipment cleared custom and the "Newark package" was delivered after two days. However, the package that was routed though "Memphis" went missing and after almost two weeks it could not be located (last scan shows it in Memphis). Now I have to work with shipper to file a claim... hopefully FedEx will make that part easy and I recover all my money. What a headache.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 01:25 AM   #24
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Hermes have a shocking reputation here in the uk and if I can use somebody else I usually do
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 12:50 AM   #25
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
The problem with DHL is that they require a commercial account to ship overseas. I was told this after they boxed my item and I said I wanted to insert it. When I told them Value was over 5k they had manager come out after 15 minutes and he cut box open and said they can’t ship my item as he handed it bk to me. This was a US to Dubai shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 01:13 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
The problem with DHL is that they require a commercial account to ship overseas. I was told this after they boxed my item and I said I wanted to insert it. When I told them Value was over 5k they had manager come out after 15 minutes and he cut box open and said they can’t ship my item as he handed it bk to me. This was a US to Dubai shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That must be a US requirement as I’ve shipped to Europe, from here but mind you it was only worth 2k
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 02:45 AM   #27
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
The 5k limit is valid if you are shipping a watch, because above that value you have to request a permit, but this is also true if you have a business account. This need does not seem unfair in the age of frauds, since they are responsible for the delivery and a watch is something that can "easily disappear" either during a customs procedure or during transport. So I think, shipping overseas was therefore just an additional reason for rejection.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 08:17 AM   #28
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's a lost cause. Fed Ex 100% would not deliver this package. It is being sent back to me at my cost in order to avoid destruction.

I went the social media route and complained. Got hit up with Fed Ex "customer service agents" who turned out to be Kenyan scammers trying to get me to set up some kind of global payment app to send me a "refund"....everything now is either customer service infinity loop of or a scam. Oddly enough the scammers have better English than the Fed Ex agents.

They got me. I just have to eat the $$$ and move on. There is no one to complain to as they have completely isolated themselves with a gatekeeping system that cannot be penetrated.
Old 5 April 2024, 08:21 AM   #29
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's a lost cause. Fed Ex 100% would not deliver this package. It is being sent back to me at my cost in order to avoid destruction.

I went the social media route and complained. Got hit up with Fed Ex "customer service agents" who turned out to be Kenyan scammers trying to get me to set up some kind of global payment app to send me a "refund"....everything now is either customer service infinity loop of or a scam. Oddly enough the scammers have better English than the Fed Ex agents.

They got me. I just have to eat the $$$ and move on. There is no one to complain to!
OMG, this is an awful outcome.

Out of curiosity & please tell me to shut up if this comes off as poking the bear, but I'm curious why you'd send a watch back to Germany for routine maintenance? The Sinn website says the UX is powered by:
Quote:
Quartz Movement
ETA 955.652
High-precision quartz movement, temperature-stabilised
End of life function
7 bearing jewels
Seconds stop function
Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309
Functionally reliable from - 20 °C to + 60 °C
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't any local watchmaker replace/repair an ETA quartz movement?

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 08:26 AM   #30
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
OMG, this is an awful outcome.

Out of curiosity & please tell me to shut up if this comes off as poking the bear, but I'm curious why you'd send a watch back to Germany for routine maintenance? The Sinn website says the UX is powered by:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't any local watchmaker replace/repair an ETA quartz movement?
It's filled with oil that gives it it's depth rating, so it has to be done in Germany.