The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2021, 07:28 AM   #1
Malren
"TRF" Member

How do you make it into a waiting list?

Hi Everyone,

I know it’s a tough question, if even answerable.

I understand the extremely high demand around models like the Nautilus and Aquanaut. But what is the way into these waiting lists?
Im fine with waiting years on years, but let me reach a point in which my turn would arrive (even if it’s in 20 years).
Getting the generic answer of the list is closed due to high demand just means you would never get it.
So to start with, are these lists even real? Do they exist? Or is it a bluff?
Second, if it is real, what increases the likelihood of getting on one?

Thanks a lot!
Malren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 07:41 AM   #2
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Buy a watch, any watch. Then... wait? I would find an AD interested in starting new relationships, and doesn't flat out tell you it's "impossible." Buy a second watch, etc to speed up the process.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Goin2drt
Banned

Go in and buy all the watches left in their case. Then you will get on the list after buying 10's even 100's of thousands of undesirable watches that you don't want......

Or just spend a tenth of that and get from a gray dealer tomorrow, delivered the next day....

Or don't buy Rolex and just move on to another brand that you can actually buy.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:06 AM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malren View Post

Thanks a lot!
Wait lists are real at my AD. Any SA can look up which position I am at for which model and when I expressed my interest. On that basis they can give me a rough idea how long it will still take based on the number of pieces they get per year. The allocation of Nautilus and Aquanaut requires approval of the owner though and I wouldn't rule out that you can jump the line with big purchases. They got me a 5711 blue as a new customer in 2018 after waiting almost 3 years in line with the initial estimate. Problem is that they tend to close their wait lists for new customers when the expected wait reaches 10 years which is the case for lots of watches these days.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:11 AM   #5
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I understand the extremely high demand around models like the Nautilus and Aquanaut. But what is the way into these waiting lists?
Im fine with waiting years on years, but let me reach a point in which my turn would arrive (even if it’s in 20 years).
Getting the generic answer of the list is closed due to high demand just means you would never get it.

Thanks a lot!

I’ll suggest family owned.

Sometimes SAs come & go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 09:43 AM   #6
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Lists are real but they are not static. Better customers will always jump the queue. Hence why others are suggesting to be a better customer. Bottom line is that you really can’t “expect” a highly sought after piece in low supply when there are tons of better customers that will go without. Of course you can always get lucky. Key is also to shop ADs just as hard as you shop the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:22 AM   #7
snarkq
"TRF" Member

One thing that rarely gets mentioned is location. You will have an easier time in a softer market. You can build relationships long distance as well. AD and boutique are very accustomed to customers out of state and will still provide excellent customer service ( and no sales tax sometimes )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:36 AM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

Another factor creeping into this is are you even suitable to carry the brands? Having the money simply isn’t enough , you need to have the right background and “pedigree”!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:55 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly it’s how much money you’ve spent + relationship (eg are you local, how well do you know the SA, does the manager know you, how often do you stop in, do they like you, etc etc )…. The ratio of the two is variable depending on the AD, and others have mentioned “lists” are usually dynamic, not static . If you have zero spend and no relationship with an AD at this point, prob best to go with a trusted seller or commit to a long, possibly expensive, journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:30 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Please consult Victorx88x. He managed to score a 5726 blue, 5980/1R and the 5136P in one fell swoop.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=809938
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:33 PM   #11
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Buy a watch
Old 7 July 2021, 03:31 PM   #12
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
It all depend.....

Are you a celebrity....??

If yes, then you have a chance......

If you a nobody then again.......

You got to ask yourself........

"Are you special....??"

Meaning what benefit the AD by putting you on the list or getting you a Nautilus or a Aquanaut.....Why would a AD giving away any of those hottest watches on the market..... plus at least $25,000 in cash or more depend on the watch model the minutes you walk off from the AD...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:00 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A lot of factors play into getting watches from AD's and most of them have been touched on. If this is about the watches from an AD then you are late to the game and will need to spend significant money on items you may not want in order to qualify. Even then you are not getting a SS Daytona-C/Blue Sky-Dweller unless the amount you spent is beyond significant. Do your research here on TRF, look at the Trusted Sellers and find out what works best for you. Get a watch you want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:13 PM   #14
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Depends on the location, major market AD's require major spend. Either on less desirable watches or regular jewelry. Smaller market maybe, but you have to assume others have the same idea.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:37 PM   #15
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot!
If you can go with the Salon (NY, London, Paris, Geneva), they have best connections to the HQ and are less likely to play games. Go, try watches, ask to be put on the waiting list.

Keep calling them, keep visiting once a quarter and asking nicely. Helps if you do not want the basic Nautilus (cannot get it anymore anyway) or 5167A, but something more complicated.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 12:08 AM   #16
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
If you can go with the Salon (NY, London, Paris, Geneva), they have best connections to the HQ and are less likely to play games. Go, try watches, ask to be put on the waiting list.
I am sure it is great to have a relationship with a Salon but I doubt any of Geneva, London, or Paris will put a new and non-local customer on the waiting list for a hot watch. I can only speak for Geneva and they wouldn't when I went there two years ago. Great place to visit regardless.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 12:10 AM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Also Patek salon does not sell to customers Nautilus/Aquanaut as their first Patek any longer.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 01:10 AM   #18
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Yes, I asked one in London in 2017. They said the waiting list was too long for any Nautilus and won't put down my name. It definitely won't happen amid the hype.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:22 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Buy perpetual calendars
Old 8 July 2021, 02:31 AM   #20
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

I'll echo what the OP asked--because it wasn't "how do I jump the list?" or "how do I speed up allocation?"

I think he just wants to know if anyone has had the experience of just wanting an aquanaut or nautilus, expressing interest and then waiting X years for arrival without buying other PP watches. I'd be curious to know as well.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:44 AM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

A lot of good advice here. I’d add that before you begin your quest it’s best to actually sit down and ask yourself why you want these models in the first place. From that analysis, you may actually discover if it is or is not the right watch for you and if you are willing to set forth on a (long) path.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:47 AM   #22
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
It all depend.....

Are you a celebrity....??

If yes, then you have a chance......

If you a nobody then again.......

You got to ask yourself........

"Are you special....??"

Meaning what benefit the AD by putting you on the list or getting you a Nautilus or a Aquanaut....

How would it benefit an AD if they sold a watch to a celebrity?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:53 AM   #23
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
How would it benefit an AD if they sold a watch to a celebrity?
Owner/sales reps get to socialize with celebrity(ies).
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 03:13 AM   #24
hundreds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot!
You can just ask to be put on the list, but if you're not a customer with spend history or someone important then you will keep getting bumped to the bottom of the list most likely. Otherwise, just spend $250k-1mm to increase your chances, or buy from a grey dealer.
hundreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #25
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

This type of thread seem to pop up every other day here on the Patek forum as well as the Rolex forum.

Unfortunately with the crazy market, there are too many flippers out there that an AD can not sell certain watches to new customers. So they can only sell to established clients or sell them through the back door to the gray directly.

So if you are a new customer, just buy directly from third party reseller or spend ton of money on complicated watches and/or jewelry that the AD can make a huge profit off of.

There was a thread on the main Rolex forum of a strategy someone used to get a difficult SS Professional model. He purchased the less popular watches (e.g. two tone ladies date just, watches with diamond on bezel or dial, etc) first and the AD started offering him some popular SS Rolex watches. You can use a similar strategy for Patek ADs I presume.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 03:40 AM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
And how again are they benefiting from this?
Old 8 July 2021, 03:56 AM   #27
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably bragging rights to say they have celebrities who come to them to purchase their watches. Watch store owner and salespeople are human too and just like someone new to watches want to buy a Nautilus for bragging rights, watch store owners want to say they cater to the rich and famous.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 04:55 AM   #28
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Probably bragging rights to say they have celebrities who come to them to purchase their watches. Watch store owner and salespeople are human too and just like someone new to watches want to buy a Nautilus for bragging rights, watch store owners want to say they cater to the rich and famous.
This....^^^....

Quote:
As IBDOC & jon_jon already had mention..... Celebrities example: Ellen DeGeneres, Jay-Z, Ed Sheeran, Kevin Hart, Sylvester Stallone, Mark Wahlberg etc......

Most AD that I went to also show me a lot of celebrities pictures that they took with.....

Plus they has deep pocket and spend a lot.....

They buy unpopular model or expensive jewelry giving to close friends, family members, and their loved ones......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 06:29 AM   #29
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How bout you ask them? I’m not a PP AD, so I wouldn’t know. Whatever motivation they have, it’s apparently enough to make it happen. So there you go. Other people may have different preferences and priorities than you. Surprised?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 06:51 AM   #30
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I thought the trick was to put the celebrities on the waiting list and sell to the others, so the celebs would pop in often asking where is their watch etc., and that way you would become best friends and exchange numbers.

Quote:
How bout you ask them? I’m not a PP AD, so I wouldn’t know. Whatever motivation they have, it’s apparently enough to make it happen. So there you go. Other people may have different preferences and priorities than you. Surprised?
Tell me which AD to call and I'll ask them.