The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 June 2022, 12:33 AM   #181
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
It's a strong brand but has a weak second hand market. In fact even brands like Longines and Omega seem to have a stronger and more devoted second hand market than VC.

That's something which I don't quite get. It should have all the ingredients to compete with Patek on the vintage market but it just can't with a few small exceptions.

I believe they also buy up their own pieces on the auction market like Patek so it's not like the brand isn't trying. Maybe it's because they never had a hit watch like AP with the RO and PP with the Nautilus?
Or perhaps they are not interested in being like Patek or any other watch manufacture either.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:36 AM   #182
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Or perhaps they are not interested in being like Patek or any other watch manufacture either.
I think any brand wants to have a strong resale market.

They're clearly trying since they offer restored vintage pieces in their NYC boutique.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:38 AM   #183
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I think any brand wants to have a strong resale market.

They're clearly trying since they offer restored vintage pieces in their NYC boutique.
To the point where Rolex and Patek have a resale market so strong that they cannot provide retail pieces?

No thanks.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:00 PM   #184
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
To the point where Rolex and Patek have a resale market so strong that they cannot provide retail pieces?

No thanks.
Vacheron is great for buyers not so great for sellers.

I've also noticed that vintage Vacherons rarely show up at auctions aside from chronographs.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:10 PM   #185
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I recently sold my black 4500. Great watch, but fit on the wrist is hit or miss for a lot of people. It was just a tad broad on the bracelet, but ok-ish on the rubber. Brought it to a gtg with some watch buddies and almost all of them found it too large. Have now replaced it with a full calendar 56 that fits much much better.

How are you liking the 56 complete calendar? I’m contemplating getting the rose gold version…. Anybody have thoughts or opinions?
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 04:20 PM   #186
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Vacheron is great for buyers not so great for sellers.

I've also noticed that vintage Vacherons rarely show up at auctions aside from chronographs.

Vacheron has a strong collectors base. There are a lot of watches the public never see and a lost of Les Cabinotiers pieces that don’t get talked about.

Yh resale on a a retail watch over £300k or £1m for some VC pieces is not great but at that level the customization limits your market.

They also don’t market anywhere near Patek or AP or make as many watches.

VC are also not happy about the OS overshadowing the brand.

Resale has picked up massively I picked the original OS titanium watch for less then £6k years ago. Now it’s going for more then retail.

At auction’s you there are some gems to be found if you stay away from Phillips / Sotheby’s etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
solaire is offline   Reply With Quote