The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2021, 07:10 AM   #61
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Rolex should change nothing. NOTHING.

I have said this many times but increasing AD prices to Grey prices (Market) would destroy the brand.

Perceived exclusivity, perceived shortage, and AD rules controlling who can buy is what is actually elevating the brand. That is why people will pay 16k for a 9k watch. People will not pay 16k for a 9k watch if easily available from any AD.

Many didnt want Rolex when they were readily available at MSRP or below from ADs. People often forget that.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:51 AM   #62
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
True, yet why not have prices go to street value to see who is the real deal and who is just 'smoke and mirrors'. Would be reeeeally fun to watch. i say sure, let the games begin. Of course if the world's central banks ever allow the market crash, it'll be even more interesting.

Kinda like politics, always a fun circus to watch... and i heard someone calculate that right now the 'bread' (free currency) is flowing at a rate of ~$2.4B ($2,400,000,000) or more each hour. It's gotta go somewhere.

"Central Banks Buying $2.4 Billion In Financial Assets Every Hour To Support Markets - BofA Report"
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...upport-markets

Surely the real deals would just buy from grey ?

Smoke and mirrors need the profit to justify so scour the Earth for MSRP.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 12:22 PM   #63
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Rolex should change nothing. NOTHING.

I have said this many times but increasing AD prices to Grey prices (Market) would destroy the brand.

Perceived exclusivity, perceived shortage, and AD rules controlling who can buy is what is actually elevating the brand. That is why people will pay 16k for a 9k watch. People will not pay 16k for a 9k watch if easily available from any AD.

Many didnt want Rolex when they were readily available at MSRP or below from ADs. People often forget that.

Sounds like you’re close to the truth according to this discussion between Roman Sharf and Erik Boneta, both grey dealers. It looks like the shortage is helping the brand to no end, similar to what is happening with Hermes and their Birkin Bag.

Check out from 0:44 to 17:44 of this YouTube clip.

https://youtu.be/FUkzkkHGHJ8
Old 24 January 2021, 03:16 PM   #64
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
It would be the same games, just higher prices. Why would higher prices lead to the grays not acquiring a large portion of the available stock as they seem to do now? I fail to see the correlation between the problem and proposed solution.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote