The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2021, 02:23 AM   #1
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Fun memories with watches

Wore my GShock today for timing, glanced down and smiled as it bought back a fond memory. Sharing here, would love to hear similar from my buddies here.

When I was around 8, my uncle was tasked with babysitting me and my two brothers (around 10 and 4) for 2 weeks while my parents had to go to rural India for the passing of a relative. It was clear that my uncle, who was a 30 something bachelor at the time, had no clue how to take care of 3 young boys. We all not only survived but had an amazing time.

Amongst his collection was a Casio stopwatch. He let us “play” with the Casio and man did I have fun. In the evenings, an easy way to amuse us was the game of “start and stop the timer to see who could get closest to precisely 1 second.” Damn that kept me amused. Once in a while I still do that, like this morning, and it still brings a smile to my face.

I also remember using it for timing how long spaghetti needed to boil (I was sous chef in this new adventure of learning to cook). Fun stuff for a 8 year old.

Thanks for an awesome two weeks uncle. This definitely helped shape my love for watches (and in particular chronographs).
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Chloe&Harley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss white
Awesome story!
Chloe&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:55 AM   #3
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
That’s the kind of stuff this hobby is all about. Thanks for sharing!
Some of my fondest watch memories are seeing my young children “play” with my watch. Sometimes my 7yo son will randomly come up to me and spin the bezel of my Submariner. It will be his one day.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:32 AM   #4
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
That’s a great story!! I don’t have anything nearly as cool to say about my love for watches, it’s just always been something I have had to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:16 AM   #5
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My niece is almost 4. From as early as I can remember, she would target my watch and spend a lot of time staring at it.

Now that she can communicate a bit more, she always wants to see what I’m wearing that day and loves winding the clock when at her grandparents.

I loved watches and clocks for as long as I can remember. I’m looking forward to what this may turn into.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #6
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 25 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe&Harley View Post
Awesome story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
That’s a great story!! I don’t have anything nearly as cool to say about my love for watches, it’s just always been something I have had to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Thanks. Funny how this little hobby can bond us all :)
Old 25 January 2021, 02:00 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
That’s the kind of stuff this hobby is all about. Thanks for sharing!
Some of my fondest watch memories are seeing my young children “play” with my watch. Sometimes my 7yo son will randomly come up to me and spin the bezel of my Submariner. It will be his one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
My niece is almost 4. From as early as I can remember, she would target my watch and spend a lot of time staring at it.

Now that she can communicate a bit more, she always wants to see what I’m wearing that day and loves winding the clock when at her grandparents.

I loved watches and clocks for as long as I can remember. I’m looking forward to what this may turn into.

That is awesome that the young ones have an interest!! Keep up the good work and role-modeling :)
Old 26 January 2021, 02:52 AM   #9
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
My first watch was given to me by me German grandfather when I was ten. I real watch. I looked after it, wore it only at home. I kept that watch for a long time. It was a watch he brought back from Germany. Unfortunately I didn't know better to study the make or model, and it disappeared out of my dresser drawer when we hired a new maid. She denied taking it, but none the less the watch was gone, and so was the maid.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:19 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
My first watch was given to me by me German grandfather when I was ten. I real watch. I looked after it, wore it only at home. I kept that watch for a long time. It was a watch he brought back from Germany. Unfortunately I didn't know better to study the make or model, and it disappeared out of my dresser drawer when we hired a new maid. She denied taking it, but none the less the watch was gone, and so was the maid.
Ouch. Sorry, that really sucks. Glad you have the memory and saddened it left this way.

I have cycled through a few housekeepers. When awesome, they are amazing. When they start slacking, bumpy road ahead.