The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2021, 01:55 AM   #1
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Omega V Rolex

I’ve been collecting watches for 15 years, and a RF poster for around 13 years on and off...

Historically I’ve barely paid any attention to sub forums and stuck to Rolex, as has my watch collection..

Back in November I bought a Speedmaster 3861, and have become totally obsessed with the brand, history, and Speedy community online. It’s fascinating I must say!

It does feel for me, that’s it a more ‘fun’ brand as a hobby and of course doesn’t bring with it the rigmarole of supply problems (so much). The bug has bitten and I have to say that my collection could well start to switch over the years as there are a good few Speedmaster models that interest me greatly... my Rolex’s have been pretty much ‘furloughed’ for 3 months!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:00 AM   #2
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I’m actually the opposite.

Started out with Omega - 2 Seamasters, then got a Submariner, now I’ve had 2 subs, an SD43 & now a GMT CHNR.

I’m not ‘anti Omega’ or anything, just now prefer to collect Rolex.

I still like the brand, in fact the Snoopy Speedies look awesome.

Enjoy whatever brand your into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:20 AM   #3
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
I’m actually the opposite.

Started out with Omega - 2 Seamasters, then got a Submariner, now I’ve had 2 subs, an SD43 & now a GMT CHNR.

I’m not ‘anti Omega’ or anything, just now prefer to collect Rolex.

I still like the brand, in fact the Snoopy Speedies look awesome.

Enjoy whatever brand your into

Likewise Max, I still love Rolex and have one arriving soon, I just enjoy the history of Speedmaster in particular, and feel that the Omega community are perhaps (in general) less about the ‘show’. Not most of the folk on here I have to say but rather on the social media groups etc..

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:42 AM   #4
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
Likewise Max, I still love Rolex and have one arriving soon, I just enjoy the history of Speedmaster in particular, and feel that the Omega community are perhaps (in general) less about the ‘show’. Not most of the folk on here I have to say but rather on the social media groups etc..
Same here. My first love was/is Rolex. Growing up it was around me, my dad had one, my Uncle had one. I became enamoured with them.

Explorer, Submariner, GMT Master II, I loved them all.

Then Pierce Brosnan came along in my teens and I discovered Omega. That laser lume pip has been etched in my brain.

Overtime, while I love Rolex, I am very much thrown off by Dealer drama, countless wristrolls, divine experience after getting a call/text, countless social media personalities talking about hype and how to get one. I enjoy none of that.

On Omega side, its calmer, people talk about how 1861 is different from 3861 and which one to get.

Omega community look at photos of SMP Divers in appreciation and not envy because everyone can get one.

We also chat about accuracy, build quality and innovation on Omega's part. We also appreciate choice of dial colours and bracelets and the fact we can have one delivered to our home in the middle of this pandemic.

Its just a nicer experience TO ME. Sometimes, I glance over at the Rolex sub, I see the same 21 INCOMING, GOT THE TEXT threads, I raise my eyebrows, close my tab and head over to OF or here or WUS: Omega. Fun topics, what's your fav Omega dress watch? Suggest a leather strap for my speedy? A solid read about Omega Nekton Edition or NEW Omega Speedmaster 3861 and how it came into be...

So while Rolex will never leave me, RIGHT NOW, I enjoy Omega watches and community way more.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #5
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Same here. My first love was/is Rolex. Growing up it was around me, my dad had one, my Uncle had one. I became enamoured with them.

Then Pierce Brosnan came along in my teens and I discovered Omega. That laser lume pip has been etched in my brain.

Overtime, while I love Rolex, I am very much thrown off by Dealer drama, countless wristrolls, divine experience after getting a call/text, countless social media personalities talking about hype and how to get one. I enjoy none of that.

On Omega side, its calmer, people talk about how 1861 is different from 3861 and which one to get.

Omega community look at photos of SMP Divers in appreciation and not envy because everyone can get one.

We also chat about accuracy, build quality and innovation on Omega's part. We also appreciate choice of dial colours and bracelets and the fact we can have one delivered to our home in the middle of this pandemic.

Its just a nicer experience TO ME. Sometimes, I glance over at the Rolex sub, I see the same 21 INCOMING, GOT THE TEXT threads, I raise my eyebrows, close my tab and head over to OF or here or WUS: Omega. Fun topics, what's your fav Omega dress watch? Suggest a leather strap for my speedy? A solid read about Omega Nekton Edition or NEW Omega Speedmaster 3861 and how it came into be...

So while Rolex will never leave me, RIGHT NOW, I enjoy Omega watches and community way more.
I'm new to the Omega sub-forum, and it is very enjoyable for the reasons described above. More talk about watches, more balanced opinions in general.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:42 AM   #6
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is funny and true! I enjoy the Omega forum much better.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:43 AM   #7
shalako
"TRF" Member

Nothing against Rolex, I own four and four Omega’s but on the Rolex forum there is too much about investment/pricing rather watches - especially amongst those new to the brand.
Rolex and omega are my favourite brands by far, both beautifully made so tough to pick a favourite so I’ll just carry on enjoying both.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:54 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Question. Is my Seamaster 2220.80 I bought in 2012 a good investment? Is it safe to wear my dive watch in the shower?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:16 AM   #9
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

+1
Well said

It is never a VS for me but different watches and we all love watches

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:08 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
rolex and omega are my favourite brands by far
+1
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:16 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I've been 'collecting' Omega for something around 30 years but that doesn't mean I agree with what they do and the choices they make everytime. Quite the opposite to be honest. They make silly mistakes IMO but I still love the brand.
Old 15 January 2021, 06:23 AM   #12
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I've given up on Rolex for many reasons that we all know. The aftermarket prices, waiting lists, etc. Please. My 2004 16710 Pepsi can fetch up to $12k. That's just effin crazy. 18 months ago it under $10k. 6 years ago it was $7k.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:48 AM   #13
cts
"TRF" Member

I like both for various reasons. Two great brands!!!
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:39 AM   #14
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
If we're all being completely honest, it's very difficult to say if any quality mechanical watch is that much "better" than others. Tudor/Omega/Rolex/Breitling/Tag Heuer even. All of these will last a lifetime with proper servicing. We all just need to find what makes us "tick."

I love Rolex. I think most of us here do. The designs are simple, handsome, classic. They'll never look dated. It's a great brand. I also won't buy one until they're back in stock. I take no joy in the chase. I feel dirty walking into an AD, striking up a conversation, and then looking over my shoulder before asking "You got any BLRO's in back?" You don't have to deal with that with Omega. If you see a watch that looks cool online, you can go to an AD and see it there. You can actually try on and compare models before purchasing. It's also a great, encouraging community. You want to change up straps, Great! Everyone loves to see a new strap.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:46 AM   #15
Lagetickers
Banned

Quote:

Well said I see both watches to be parallel,
Omega is more available and less stressful to purchase.
Lagetickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:02 PM   #16
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:50 PM   #17
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I think they are both as good as each other. I used to have Rolex in the collection. I don’t now. Not because I think they are not great watches but because I know I can get an omega (even the hot ones) and i like that.

Having owned other brands for a while, I appreciate the differing designs and opportunity for different straps etc. Makes it more fun for me.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:52 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex is Rolex and a great brand who makes amazing watches. Omega is a great brand and they make more affordable and obtainable watches. I own both brands and enjoy them for what they are.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:17 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I love Rolex. I think most of us here do. The designs are simple, handsome, classic. They'll never look dated. It's a great brand. I also won't buy one until they're back in stock. I take no joy in the chase.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 16 January 2021, 01:38 AM   #20
greengold
Banned

Same as you mate til I sold my hulk for silly money after worrying id get mugged for it then got a new 300 diver for nothing with profits which imo is as good a watch (except the bracelet). Omega are trying to become Rolex I think with some of their new watches like the 321 and Snoopy

WHO TO
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:42 AM   #21
-dustin

The only piece that keeps me looking at Rolex is the Exp II. I can easily find more attractive, similar quality, less pricey, more readily available options in the Omega line for pretty much anything in the Rolex catalog that I'd buy. But the Exp II seems to be in a league of it's own (for me...mainly because of case dimensions).
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 08:45 PM   #22
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Rolex makes a great watch. I know because I've had almost all of them. Recently I decided to sell my collection and become a one watch guy. As a consequence, I settled on a Seamaster 300M that I wear 24/7. It's a magnificent watch and I'm not looking back.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 01:15 AM   #23
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
A Rolex was the first “nice” watch I ever wanted and for years was the only brand I was interested in. However, the present hype and lack of availability turned me towards Omega. I purchased a SMP in March and have been hooked ever since! I was able to get a great deal on a Hesalite Speedy last month and it has been getting all my wrist time lately.

Don’t get me wrong - I still love my Sub but have broadened my horizons and realized I can love brands other than The Crown.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #24
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

I have both brands, several of each brand as a matter of fact, and love them all. I chose what watch to wear on how the mood strikes me on that particular day! IMHO, You don’t have to chose one over the other!
Enjoy it!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:51 AM   #25
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I have 3 Rolex and 1 Omega and there are 2 Rolex and 2 Omega watches I am currently pursuing.
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:55 AM   #26
onefishtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
The only piece that keeps me looking at Rolex is the Exp II. I can easily find more attractive, similar quality, less pricey, more readily available options in the Omega line for pretty much anything in the Rolex catalog that I'd buy. But the Exp II seems to be in a league of it's own (for me...mainly because of case dimensions).
This... just picked up the black dial EXP2 because it's so versatile. Love that there's no ceramic (I scratched up a BLNR bezel pretty good) and that it's lower key so it works well in any situation. I'm waiting on a rubber strap for it, hoping it becomes a keeper. I've though about a GMT-Master II again but this explorer is just awesome and has no polished center links to worry about. In April some people are pretty sure it's getting an upgrade/redesign, hope they keep the ceramic bezels off this one!

I'm really jealous of the people who truly love the Speedmaster, I tried one on to see what the hype was all about and it just did nothing for me... felt cheap and underwhelming, probably because the hesalite. I want to try the new 2021 version to see if anything has changed, love it in pictures but in real life it didn't translate to one I'd buy. I think the DSOTM might be worth the money though, all ceramic!
onefishtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #27
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I've currently got 4 Rolex and 2 Omega in my collection (and a few others) and this Seamaster is still one of the best looking of them all IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:31 PM   #28
dummykid
"TRF" Member

I have both 114060 and new Seamaster 300 Driver, but I wear my omega alot because new omega movement is antimagnetic, and I have a lot of magnets around me. such as iphone, my tools, keyboard attachment, mouse attachment.
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 02:38 PM   #29
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I enjoy both brands and want more watches from both brands as well. I am a patient buyer because I have to be due to my financial situation, so it doesn't bother me too much to just wait for the Rolex I want because I couldn't just buy them all right away anyway.

It is nice to see a thread such as this that I half expected to watch go down in flames actually generate a good conversation. Well done everyone! When I read the title, I think we may be in for a locked thread, but I have actually enjoyed reading this one and a lot of posters have shared some nice insights and perspective.
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 03:10 PM   #30
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Both great watches and i have both of each brand. But the omega makes a better and more appealing movement.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote