The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2017, 01:49 AM   #1
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex Polishing

Hi
I have just come from the one Rolex AD in my City. I was passing so I dropped in to ask about polishing not that I'd be getting it done anytime in the near future on account that my Watch is only seven months old but was just curious. The Assistant told me this could not be done without a full service & would have to be sent back to Rolex. Is this the norm as when I do want this done I want it done by a RSC. Is he right in saying that my Watch can't be polished by Rolex without having a full service
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 02:12 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
Hi
I have just come from the one Rolex AD in my City. I was passing so I dropped in to ask about polishing not that I'd be getting it done anytime in the near future on account that my Watch is only seven months old but was just curious. The Assistant told me this could not be done without a full service & would have to be sent back to Rolex. Is this the norm as when I do want this done I want it done by a RSC. Is he right in saying that my Watch can't be polished by Rolex without having a full service
The only time any Rolex watch needs any sort of polishing is at normal routine service only thats every 5-8 years depending on the wearing habits.If you want to polish every time you see a few scratches thats a sure way to ruin any Rolex watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 02:19 AM   #3
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Don't polish it. A Rolex gets its own story by not polishing it. At first i didn't liked my first scratches on my watches, but now i think it is getting its own story behind it.

TIP: once in a month put your watch for 15 minutes in a glass of water with dish soap and "polish" it with a soft toothbrush after that. It really clears the watch and you also remove the dirt, sweat and other mess.
Old 8 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #4
BristolCavendish
Banned

7 months old is a relatively new watch. While I can understand those who are intent on maintaining an 'as new' appearance, it's best not to get too carried away.

Years ago, an acquaintance purchased an air compressor and high-speed polisher to periodically detail his new 911. It became an obsession with him and he eventually burned the original Glasurit paint off/down to the undercoat. He wound up having to have portions of the car repainted by an auto body shop.

Sometimes less is more.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #5
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only time any Rolex watch needs any sort of polishing is at normal routine service only thats every 5-8 years depending on the wearing habits.If you want to polish every time you see a few scratches thats a sure way to ruin any Rolex watch.

Peter is right. It's best to wait for service and let Rolex take care of the polishing. Remember polishing is a kind way of saying removing a small amount of metal from your watch. Scratches aren't fun but it's just a watch. They scratch. Just enjoy it and in half a decade (maybe longer) send it to RSC for a few weeks at the spa and you will get a watch back that looks as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2017, 03:01 AM   #6
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Thank you people for the advice it is taken onboard. So I will only be polishing my Watches with every service which padi56 has pointed out is every 5-8 year's. Very informative thanks
Old 8 October 2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
7 months old is a relatively new watch. While I can understand those who are intent on maintaining an 'as new' appearance, it's best not to get too carried away.

Years ago, an acquaintance purchased an air compressor and high-speed polisher to periodically detail his new 911. It became an obsession with him and he eventually burned the original Glasurit paint off/down to the undercoat. He wound up having to have portions of the car repainted by an auto body shop.

Sometimes less is more.
X2. While we all want to keep things in the best condition possible, it can become an addictive obsession trying to keep watches, cars guitars, you name it scratch and ding free. And you generally do more harm than good trying to fix every blemish as it appears until you have essentially ruined your watch or other item, IMHO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 03:06 AM   #8
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thank you people your advice is taken onboard. My Watches will only be polished with every service which padi56 has pointed out should be every 5-8 years. Very informative thanks
Old 8 October 2017, 03:39 AM   #9
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I too used to be somewhat obsessed with scratches on my Rolex but as time went on with it I developed a different attitude. While I'm not fortunate enough to have a watch passed to me from a loved one if I did I'd want it with all the honest wear and tear that had been inflicted upon it. The marks tell the story of your watches life just as the marks and scars on your own body tell your life's story.
I have scratches from rough housing with our now departed chocolate lab, scratches from when my daughters friends drug me onto the dance floor at her wedding, scratches from the side of my wife's hospital bed as I held her hand after her open heart surgery, you get the idea. Those times bond you with your watch, scratches and all make it yours. I've learned to embrace the wear and tear. Don't get me wrong, I'm very careful with my watches but I wear them, they don't wear me. (My wife still switches her bracelets to her other wrist when we go for a walk so that they won't scratch my watch when we hold hands)
If at service time you want a polish RSC will serve you well, I probably won't have mine done, just my .02.
Pic of the above mentioned 90 pound lab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7.jpg (136.5 KB, 291 views)

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 05:52 AM   #10
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
Hi
That is correct, an RSC will not simply perform an exterior refinish of a watch. It is included with a standard full service although you can request not to have it done which some people with vintage pieces will do.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 06:23 AM   #11
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I too used to be somewhat obsessed with scratches on my Rolex but as time went on with it I developed a different attitude. While I'm not fortunate enough to have a watch passed to me from a loved one if I did I'd want it with all the honest wear and tear that had been inflicted upon it. The marks tell the story of your watches life just as the marks and scars on your own body tell your life's story.
I have scratches from rough housing with our now departed chocolate lab, scratches from when my daughters friends drug me onto the dance floor at her wedding, scratches from the side of my wife's hospital bed as I held her hand after her open heart surgery, you get the idea. Those times bond you with your watch, scratches and all make it yours. I've learned to embrace the wear and tear. Don't get me wrong, I'm very careful with my watches but I wear them, they don't wear me. (My wife still switches her bracelets to her other wrist when we go for a walk so that they won't scratch my watch when we hold hands)
If at service time you want a polish RSC will serve you well, I probably won't have mine done, just my .02.
Pic of the above mentioned 90 pound lab.
Tim, one of - if not the best and most sentimental responses to the issue of polishing I can recall.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 07:21 AM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Tim, one of - if not the best and most sentimental responses to the issue of polishing I can recall.
Thanks Mike

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote