The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
Icon5 Sourcing new caseback?

Hi
I have previously read that if you have a watch engraved you should try to do it on a spare caseback and keep the original?

Where can I source a spare caseback appropriate to the watch? Do I go to RSC and ask to purchase one?

Thanks muchly
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolimont View Post
Hi
I have previously read that if you have a watch engraved you should try to do it on a spare caseback and keep the original?

Where can I source a spare caseback appropriate to the watch? Do I go to RSC and ask to purchase one?

Thanks muchly
People say a lot of things that are practically impossible to actually do. Sourcing a "spare" caseback is no different than sourcing any other Rolex part.. they are not sold across parts counters.. It is unlikely that the RSC will sell you one without exchanging it for you.

You can frequently have a new caseback installed during service if you have one that is engraved, but they will not give you back the old one..
Old 16 August 2012, 04:22 AM   #3
finnluck

Watch: 14060M COSC
This post leads me to a similar question I have been considering. I got a submariner no date new with the exception of one wear (at an amazing price). It had been given a performance gift to the regional manager of Jimmy Johns who wore it at the awards dinner and then resold it to a jeweler as he thought he would never wear a rolex. It came with boxes, papers and has been verified by an AD as authentic. I had absolutely no wear at all on the case or bracelet. The one catch is it has the jimmy Johns logo engraved on the caseback. It doesn't bother me at all, and I actually think it is a fun story. It seems to be unique as well since I have never seen a corporate/government incentive gift rolex that wasn't more entry level (air kings now days, oyster precision no dates once upon a time, and occasionally a date/datejust with the middle eastern government gifts). I guess hafez al-assads sea dweller was up for sale a few months ago, but that's a whole different ball game (and probably not selling well now for obvious reasons). What would y'all suggest? Get it changed at the next service and potentially lose the one that is there now? Be on the lookout for a a replacement on ebay? I'd rather not have it polished out, cause I don't like the idea of anything that might weaken the watch. If the advice is try to find a caseback, what models will fit? I have a 14060M. I occasionally see a 5513 or a 16800 back for sale. Will those fit. Thanks for the advice.
finnluck is offline   Reply With Quote